The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

gary, the thing is that you can't just place someone on the practice squad.

First you have to realease the player. When you do that, any other team can claim that player and put him on the active roster.

Only if the player clears waivers can you then put him on the practice squad.

I don't think the Pats can take that chance with the players in question.

Look at what happened to Ruud when he was released....immediately picked up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Pye:      Time will tell. But, the right side of the Pats' OL badly needs an upgrade. Nick Kaczur is only a couple of notches above a turnstyle at RT...and Neal is always hurt. The Pats' can't afford to have Tom Brady taking a beating, just after recovering from serious knee surgery.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Scouts Inc on Nick Kaczur:

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 70 |
    Comment: Kaczur continues to be a consistent performer for the Patriots. He has good size and strength, but isn't a huge, powerful lineman that many clubs use on the right side of the offensive line. He has enough athleticism to move to the left side and protect Tom Brady's blind side. He is a hard-nosed lineman who shows good initial pop and power as a zone run-blocker. He uses his hands well to gain leverage while understanding angles and body positioning to set the edge. He can work up to the second level well and can searchlight moving targets. He is an instinctive player who reacts well to stunts and twists. He can kick step well to maintain leverage and space on speed rushers on the perimeter. He does a nice job working with good pad level, which enables him to slide and adjust to a variety of counter moves. Kaczur is a consistent, versatile lineman who should continue to play well for the Patriots, if he can maintain his health.

That's not saying the Pat's don't think that Sea Bass could eventually replace him, but there aren't a lot of high level Right Tackles in the league right now.  Most of them give up sacks on their QB as well.  You're way too tough on the OL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Scouts Inc on Nick Kaczur: 2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc. Grade: 70 | Comment: Kaczur continues to be a consistent performer for the Patriots. He has good size and strength, but isn't a huge, powerful lineman that many clubs use on the right side of the offensive line. He has enough athleticism to move to the left side and protect Tom Brady's blind side. He is a hard-nosed lineman who shows good initial pop and power as a zone run-blocker. He uses his hands well to gain leverage while understanding angles and body positioning to set the edge. He can work up to the second level well and can searchlight moving targets. He is an instinctive player who reacts well to stunts and twists. He can kick step well to maintain leverage and space on speed rushers on the perimeter. He does a nice job working with good pad level, which enables him to slide and adjust to a variety of counter moves. Kaczur is a consistent, versatile lineman who should continue to play well for the Patriots, if he can maintain his health. ________________ Scouts has Kaczur as the 29th best OT in the league.  All but 6-7 of the ones in front of Nick are LOT.  Most other objective evaluators has Kaczur rated as an above average ROT.  That's not saying the Pat's don't think that Sea Bass could eventually replace him, but there aren't a lot of high level Right Tackles in the league right now.  Most of them give up sacks on their QB as well.  You're way too tough on the OL.
    Posted by bobomul

Bobo:

Are you seriously arguing that the right side of the Pats' OL is good to go? RG Steven Neal is 33 years old, and is always hurt. He makes Laurence Maroney look like football's answer to Cal Ripken. 

As for Nick Kaczur, apparently, BB does not share your high opinion of him.  The Pats had hoped that Ryan O'Callaghan, another huge, 6'8" RT, would eventually beat him out...but no cigar. Now, the Pats have reached for an O'Callaghan clone in the second round, in Heir Vollmer, to replace Kaczur.

Do you think that is a mere coincidence? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Thought the Pats didn't draft a TE, they have recently addressed the position with the acquisition of TE Alex Smith, from Tampa Bay. I wonder if Smith was on the Pats' radar prior to the draft?

He is a good pick up...and should help generate plenty of competition at that position during training camp.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more on recently acquired TE, Alex Smith: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith_(tight_end)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Bobo:      Are you seriously arguing that the right side of the Pats' OL is good to go? RG Steven Neal is 33 years old, and is always hurt. He makes Laurence Maroney look like football's answer to Cal Ripken.       As for Nick Kaczur, apparently, BB does not share your high opinion of him.  The Pats had hoped that Ryan O'Callaghan, another huge, 6'8" RT, would eventually beat him out...but no cigar. Now, the Pats have reached for an O'Callaghan clone in the second round, in Heir Vollmer, to replace Kaczur.      Do you think that is a mere coincidence? 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Sorry Texas, BB would more likely agree with my assesment of Kaczur: a servicable ROT that can do his job but isn't an elite player.  They will continuously look to improve the talent on the team and hope that Sea Bass can eventually be an upgrade (if he can be developed into a top ROT).

If BB thought as you do: that Kaczur is an open sewer or a Right Tackle that will surely get his franchise QB killed, he wouldn't be trying to fill that spot with developmental players.  He'd use a top draft choice or pay the FA money to bring a new one in.  No way he's risking Brady's health with a ROT he doesn't have a sufficent level of trust in to be a competent NFL starting tackle (which N Kaczur certainly is).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Sorry Texas, BB would more likely agree with my assesment of Kaczur: a servicable ROT that can do his job but isn't an elite player.  They will continuously look to improve the talent on the team and hope that Sea Bass can eventually be an upgrade (if he can be developed into a top ROT). If BB thought as you do: that Kaczur is an open sewer or a Right Tackle that will surely get his franchise QB killed, he wouldn't be trying to fill that spot with developmental players.  He'd use a top draft choice or pay the FA money to bring a new one in.  No way he's risking Brady's health with a ROT he doesn't have a sufficent level of trust in to be a competent NFL starting tackle (which N Kaczur certainly is).
    Posted by bobomul

I hope you're right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Hopefully O'Callaghan will stay healthy and we'll see a real competition for the starting RT spot between him, Kaczur, Levoir, and Vollmer. I would expect that Kaczur would still easily win it. It should also be noted that once Neal was integrated into the line rotation and Cassel gained more experience as a starting QB, the rate over the last 10 games in terms of sacks dropped from 4.2 per game to a more acceptable 2.2 with the Steelers game the only with more than 3 during those 10 games. It's important for the Pats to find a replacement for Neal in the long term, but he's too valuable in the short term.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Hopefully O'Callaghan will stay healthy and we'll see a real competition for the starting RT spot between him, Kaczur, Levoir, and Vollmer. I would expect that Kaczur would still easily win it. It should also be noted that once Neal was integrated into the line rotation and Cassel gained more experience as a starting QB, the rate over the last 10 games in terms of sacks dropped from 4.2 per game to a more acceptable 2.2 with the Steelers game the only with more than 3 during those 10 games. It's important for the Pats to find a replacement for Neal in the long term, but he's too valuable in the short term.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

In any event, I think watching the Pats this year will be require a new skill set for  fans. Brady play actions and goes back to pass, fans move forward in their seats and squint, Brady throws and gets bumped to the ground.....Brady gets up...he's okay....fans start breathing again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' a breakdown of what DraftScout.com has to say about each of the Patriots' draft picks:

1.) SS Patrick Chung: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/520636

2.) NT Ron Brace: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/502309

3.) CB Darius Butler: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/537434

4.) OT Sebastian Vollmer: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/522537

5.) WR Brandon Tate: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563223

6.) LB Tyrone McKenzie: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1279457

7.) OG Rich Ohrnberger: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/517511

8.) OG George Bussey: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/522809

9.) LS Jake Ingram: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/561626

10.) NT Myron Pryor: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/561626

11.) WR/KR Julian Edelman: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123460 

12.) DT Darryl Richard: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/502648      

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are some cold, hard football facts on dynasty building...including the Pats, listed as the team of this decade: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2726_The_%27fire_triangle%27_of_dynasty_building.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Rookie NT Ron Brace certainly looks the part: 

He's embracing pro game

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

That's one perspective, but I can see why you have held your views on these players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' a good article sizing up the draft for AFC East teams...in which the Patriots are given high marks:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810265ad&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Heres' a good article sizing up the draft for AFC East teams...in which the Patriots are given high marks:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810265ad&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    Posted by TexasPat3

Folks grade the draft differently.  Gosselin gave the Pats a C.  But he doesn't include the future draft picks nor does he include what may have been traded for those draft picks like Moss and Welker a couple of years ago.  He just grades the talent to need thing.  If you addressed your needs then you got a high grade.  Personally, I thought it a good draft, grade B.  I don't think you should give anybody an outstanding draft unless you have "playmakers" in it.  But it's not a bad thing to end up with a B which I look at as a very solid draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats needed to have a great draft to ensure that they will be serious SB contenders for the next 2-3 years. Unfortunately, with the freak season-ending knee injury to McKenzie, the 2009 crop is not off to a banner start. The same thing happened last year, when 3rd rounder Shawn Crable was lost for the season.

At a minimum, Chung, Brace, and Butler must turn out to be good players...with Butler developing into a starting CB, if this draft is to be a success. Anything after that is gravy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I've been working on my grades for the league. Hopefully I'll get it done today or tomorrow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoidrk. Show zoidrk's posts

I always love TexasPats posts....I almost have to as I and both boston-born and longhorn educated, but this one by reamer deserves some praise. these types of posts are what makes coming here worthwhile and even worth putting up with all the whiners and blowhards.

QUOTE]I'm more optimistic, in a way. Vollmer is freakishly athletic for an offensive lineman, especially one that big. He had nearly a three foot vertical, and benched over thirty reps despite having ultra-long arms. He's got extremely light feet, is astonishly fluid for his size, and plays with a definite nasty streak. I think he starts at right tackle this year, and slides over to left tackle after Light's contract expires next year. Maualuga would be nice, but he freelances a lot, spends a lot of time on the ground, isn't always effective in coverage, and apparently isn't the brightest guy out there. BB requires intelligences, toughness, and responsibility from his players. I love RM, but he doesn't fit this scheme . Instead we get McKenzie, who's roughly the same size/speed, but is much smarter, knows his assignments, and is at least adequate against TEs in coverage, not to mention immensely productive in a variety of systems--often without a talented supporting cast. I like Ellis Hobbs. A lot. But his position on both defense and special teams was upgraded through the draft. He was the weakest link of the secondary, yet also the highest paid. Instead of letting him go in FA nexdt year, we clear cap space and get two picks in return. Solid move. Don't like the Myron Pryor pick, though he may surprise me. I'd have prefered Rashad Jennings, whom the Jags picked up half a dozen slots before Mr. Irrelevant closed out the 2009 NFL draft. But as BB mentioned in his press conference, each defense tackle brings a different strength to the team. For example, Brace can be either a 0-tech or a 5-tech end, while Richard is probably more exclusively an end, and Pryor is a nose tackle or a 3-tech in pass rushing subs. Reportedly, BB is very high on the two guards/centers. Word is one of them could start by the end of '09. I'm not going to write them off just yet, though I had differing preferences for personnel. I need to sleep. But before I go, let me just say that I am absolutely ECSTATIC over the Patrick Chung pick. He was probably my favorite player in this draft (along with English, Barwin, and Jennings), and I really believe he will develop into a Polamalu type talent. Paired with Meriweather, that gives us a heck of a safety tandem. Oh, and next year we get 4 picks in the first two rounds yet again. I love the Patriots. *grin*
    Posted by reamer[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

until you see any of these guys in action.its hard to give a grade,or a player comparison.in collage some of these guys look real good,but in the NFL its a whole diffrent beast.for an example minicamp that is going on.one rookie is out for the year,and he hasnt even seen the real game yet.then you have those who can grasp the speed of the NFL,and those who cant.out of 12 players that got drafted.we might see 4 of them being starters,and the rest just trying to stay on the team as depth,or practice squad.to give the draft a grade right now is impossible until you see how the players pan out,and to say this player is just like that player is crazy.because again we havent seen them in action.there are 93 players on the roster right now,and possibly more before its all said,and done.when its time to cut the roster to 53.we are talking 50 players plus will be cut.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

I. THE GOOD:       1.) Two Second Round Picks Acquired for 2010:  Mike Mayock, the Mel Kiper of the NFL Network, called this draft class one of the weakest hes' seen in years. In a subsequent interview with BB, Bill agreed with him. So, Belichick traded out of the first round...which led to the acquisition of 2010 second round picks, from Jacksonville and Tennessee. This gives the Pats three second rounders in 2010. It also gives the Pats the necessary ammunition to pull off a trade for a veteran like Julius Peppers, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson, or others...if they choose.      2.) Selections of NT Ron Brace and CB Darius Butler:       a.) Ron Brace: Will back-up Vince Wilfolk, and give the Pats some leverage, and insurance...regarding their contract negotiations with Vince;      b.) Darius Butler: By releasing Deltha O'Neal, and trading Ellis Hobbs, the Pats have, in essence, fired their CBs after a disasterous year, in which the Pats gave up a league leading 31 TD passes. Butler could start immediately. He, along with Terrence Wheatly, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Chung, and Lee Bodden should lead to a major improvement.      3.) Selection of WR Brandon Tate:  A good gamble at #83? But for a serious knee injury, Tate may have been a first round pick. Though some thought that #83 was a bit early, the Tate selection set off a mini run at WR. The Steelers took WR Mike Wallace (4.3 speed) immediately thereafter. It will be interesting to follow the careers of these two players.       4.) Tyrone McKenzie:  Good prospect, who can play either ILB or OLB. Taken at pick #97. Might eventually replace Tedy Bruschi.        III.) THE BAD:         1.) Rey Maualuga:  On paper, Rey would have been a great fit at ILB, as Tedy Bruschi's replacement. But, the trade-down from the first round set up the Pats' entire draft. It allowed them to get Brace and Butler, and two additional second round picks in 2010. Rey could have been had at #34, instead of Patrick Chung. One must wonder why the Pats, and every other team , allowed Maualuga to slip-slide away;      2.) Sebastian Vollmer:  Vollmer was selected with the 58th overall pick. Why so early? Weren't there better OL prospects to be had? Being picked as high as he was, this guy had better produce;      3.) Wasted Later Round Picks?: Rich Ohmberger, George Bussey, Jacob Ingram, Myron Pryor? Is it so hard to find a decent OG? Again, weren't there better prospects to be had? Is this Corey Hilliard and Mike Elgin (not so vintage 2007 picks) all over again? Supposedly, Jacob Ingram is a long-snapper, which every team needs. Myron Pryor...after Ron Brace was selected??       III. THE UGLY:       1.) Why No TE?:  The Pats had ample opportunity to grab Shawn Nelson (Bills), and Philadelphia took Cornelius Ingram in round 7. With Ben Watson's contract coming up, why not grab a guy like Ingram (who, like WR Brandon Tate, has injury issues), and but him on the PUP for a year (like they'll probably end up doing with Tate);      2.) Ellis Hobbs Trade:  Hobbs and the Pats' secondary had a bad year in 2008. But, 2009 was going to be his contract year...adding incentive for him to perform at his best. In fairness to Hobbs, he was hampered most of last year with injuries. Isn't a decent CB, who can return KOs, worth more than 2 high 5th round picks (which were later traded to acquire the immortal Rich Ohmberger?). Plus, why trade Hobbs to a SB contending team like the Eagles? Possible reasons why Hobbs is gone:       a.) Philip Rivers is right. Hes' one of the worst CBs in the NFL;      b.) Whining about his contract, and un-Patriotically mouthing off a bit in the press last year likely had something to do with the decision to jettison Hobbs.             c.) BB feared that Hobbs would whine if he were to lose his starting job.      d.) Perhaps the Pats wanted to create some cap space for additional free agent signings (Jason Taylor, Roy Williams? Others?).       Thoughts? Agreements/Disagreements?          
    Posted by TexasPat3

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

This post was excellent. However, we have not built this team on mindless trade-downs, but on picking solid players when it was our turn, with a plan going in, and trading picks for excellent veterans with much left in the tank. This draft was a loser for us--- we gave up more (Cassel, Vrabel, Hobbs) than we took in. Now McKensie is hurt. We are revamping an entire secondary next year, and still need LB help. Brady better be healthy and cranking 40 TD passes, because we will have to outscore the opponents. And a key defensive injury will be devastating, particularly if Woolfolk or Seymour get nicked again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

those poor jets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat3's comment:

I. THE GOOD: 

1.) Two Second Round Picks Acquired for 2010: Mike Mayock, the Mel Kiper of the NFL Network, called this draft class one of the weakest hes' seen in years. In a subsequent interview with BB, Bill agreed with him. So, Belichick traded out of the first round...which led to the acquisition of 2010 second round picks, from Jacksonville and Tennessee. This gives the Pats three second rounders in 2010. It also gives the Pats the necessary ammunition to pull off a trade for a veteran like Julius Peppers, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson, or others...if they choose.

2.) Selections of NT Ron Brace and CB Darius Butler: 

a.) Ron Brace: Will back-up Vince Wilfolk, and give the Pats some leverage, and insurance...regarding their contract negotiations with Vince;

b.) Darius Butler: By releasing Deltha O'Neal, and trading Ellis Hobbs, the Pats have, in essence, fired their CBs after a disasterous year, in which the Pats gave up a league leading 31 TD passes. Butler could start immediately. He, along with Terrence Wheatly, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Chung, and Lee Bodden should lead to a major improvement.

3.) Selection of WR Brandon Tate: A good gamble at #83? But for a serious knee injury, Tate may have been a first round pick. Though some thought that #83 was a bit early, the Tate selection set off a mini run at WR. The Steelers took WR Mike Wallace (4.3 speed) immediately thereafter. It will be interesting to follow the careers of these two players. 

4.) Tyrone McKenzie: Good prospect, who can play either ILB or OLB. Taken at pick #97. Might eventually replace Tedy Bruschi.  

III.) THE BAD:  

1.) Rey Maualuga: On paper, Rey would have been a great fit at ILB, as Tedy Bruschi's replacement. But, the trade-down from the first round set up the Pats' entire draft. It allowed them to get Brace and Butler, and two additional second round picks in 2010. Rey could have been had at #34, instead of Patrick Chung. One must wonder why the Pats, and every other team, allowed Maualuga to slip-slide away;

2.) Sebastian Vollmer: Vollmer was selected with the 58th overall pick. Why so early? Weren't there better OL prospects to be had? Being picked as high as he was, this guy had better produce;

3.) Wasted Later Round Picks?: Rich Ohmberger, George Bussey, Jacob Ingram, Myron Pryor? Is it so hard to find a decent OG? Again, weren't there better prospects to be had? Is this Corey Hilliard and Mike Elgin (not so vintage 2007 picks) all over again? Supposedly, Jacob Ingram is a long-snapper, which every team needs. Myron Pryor...after Ron Brace was selected?? 

III. THE UGLY: 

1.) Why No TE?: The Pats had ample opportunity to grab Shawn Nelson (Bills), and Philadelphia took Cornelius Ingram in round 7. With Ben Watson's contract coming up, why not grab a guy like Ingram (who, like WR Brandon Tate, has injury issues), and but him on the PUP for a year (like they'll probably end up doing with Tate);

2.) Ellis Hobbs Trade: Hobbs and the Pats' secondary had a bad year in 2008. But, 2009 was going to be his contract year...adding incentive for him to perform at his best. In fairness to Hobbs, he was hampered most of last year with injuries. Isn't a decent CB, who can return KOs, worth more than 2 high 5th round picks (which were later traded to acquire the immortal Rich Ohmberger?). Plus, why trade Hobbs to a SB contending team like the Eagles? Possible reasons why Hobbs is gone: 

a.) Philip Rivers is right. Hes' one of the worst CBs in the NFL;

b.) Whining about his contract, and un-Patriotically mouthing off a bit in the press last year likely had something to do with the decision to jettison Hobbs.   

c.) BB feared that Hobbs would whine if he were to lose his starting job.

d.) Perhaps the Pats wanted to create some cap space for additional free agent signings (Jason Taylor, Roy Williams? Others?). 

Thoughts? Agreements/Disagreements?       

Yeah I have some thoughts.

So Texas Pat, you LIKE the picks of Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Brandon Tate, and Tyrone Mack.....

So Tex, you LIKE Wheatley, Wilhite, Springs, Chung AND Bodden to be a major improvement?

So Tex, you LIKE BB trading out of "the weakest draft class" in years.....

Volmer no good?

You like Maualuga at 34?

Surprised

Shout out to triple OG for a little thread revival on a rainy Tuesday in N.E

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vacilando. Show Vacilando's posts

Worst thread EVER!   Just to say "I told you so" to TP.

id say grow up but it's 4 yrs later and apparently you've just regressed. 

Unsubscribe!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts