Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

Tyrone McKenzie was a good value pick for where he was selected (97th overall)...and he projects to assist at a position of need ILB/OLB. Since Maualuga wasn't selected, the Pats needed help at ILB...and chose McKenzie. Supposedly, McKenzie is better in coverage than Maualuga.      The issue with Maualuga is, should the Pats have taken him at #34 over Patrick Chung? Many folks would argue that Rey is a better prospect...and would have filled a position of need.       What happened with Rey is a mystery. There must be some concerns about is abilities to behave himself off the field...or perhaps some suspicions about drug use. Or...the Pats just felt that Chung was a better prospect, and would be the perfect replacement for Rodney Harrison.      Only time will tell.   
    Posted by TexasPat3

That's not the issue for the Pats, comparing Maualuga to Chung. The issue is whether BB got the player he wanted for each need he put forth. Chung was his safety. He put in a visit. Brace was his NT. He put in a visit. Same for Tate. Same for McKenzie. Same for Ohrnberger. Does Chung last till 40? Does Butler and Brace last till 47 or later. Does Vollmer last till the Pats pick? Does Ohrnberger last to 170? I wouldn't be surprised if Maualuga wasn't even on the Pats draft board. The Pats draft was full of people who are smart, versatile, good character players. Maualuga isn't one of those. It was obvious from the Bengals draft that they still value talent far more than character.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I was surprised that Hobbs was due that kind of $ this season.  To me, he is average at best at CB, but he is certainly a good kick returner.  That's a lot to pay your kick returner, and with all the depth the Pats have aseembled at CB maybe he was going to lose a lot of playing time.  I think they got what they could for him. 

I cannot pretend to know all the players the Pats drafted.  I've heard of Chung after seeing this past year's bowl game, and have seen Brace and Butler play a few times.  I really like all of those  picks, but to me, I'm a bit worried that they're trying to replace Wilfork rather than pay him.  (And big Vince has said in two interviews that I've heard that he's not looking for a break the bank deal.)  Brace looks like he can play NT but with Wright and Wilfork how much time does he get?  Don't think he can play DE.  

It seems like the Pats tried to upgrade thier depth, especially on the O and D lines.  Time will tell.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

In BB you trust??Did Bb realize the draft was this weekend?Did he draft anybody that stands out? Did he pick up a backup QB yet?If not then what the hell are they waiting for?Brady won't last the preseason without that glass knee of his acting up? Then again and I'm a Jets fan-Did any of you ever hear of Mark Sanchez??
    Posted by Jets

Is that the same Mark Sanchez who backed up John David B00ty?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I was surprised that Hobbs was due that kind of $ this season.  To me, he is average at best at CB, but he is certainly a good kick returner.  That's a lot to pay your kick returner, and with all the depth the Pats have aseembled at CB maybe he was going to lose a lot of playing time.  I think they got what they could for him.  I cannot pretend to know all the players the Pats drafted.  I've heard of Chung after seeing this past year's bowl game, and have seen Brace and Butler play a few times.  I really like all of those  picks, but to me, I'm a bit worried that they're trying to replace Wilfork rather than pay him.  (And big Vince has said in two interviews that I've heard that he's not looking for a break the bank deal.)  Brace looks like he can play NT but with Wright and Wilfork how much time does he get?  Don't think he can play DE.   It seems like the Pats tried to upgrade thier depth, especially on the O and D lines.  Time will tell.   
    Posted by BrooklineRob

Hobbs hit a lot of his incentives because of the plays he was on the field for. He started throughout his time here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Is that the same Mark Sanchez who backed up John David B00ty?
    Posted by bunchofpixels

The one an only, had to wait untill all the better SC QBs were gone so he could get a job.  Where are all those "better" SC QBs now?  Yeah lots that's a great pick at 5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

Yo Jets,

Clearly your bandwagon is rolling right along and I bet you already wearing your new Sanchez jersey. Who are you guys throwing to again? Actually your best hands receiver signed with us. It will take Sanchez about 10 throws to realize he had more offensive talent at USC than on your team.

I'm sure Bart Scott will be puffing out his chest every time he makes a basic tackle like he usually does at his now $8 million a year salary.

Maybe Rex will be able to get Vernon on the field, but at another $8 million a year, you have spent your money wisely. I'm sure David Harris can't wait for his deal to end so he to can be making $8 million a year as well.

Your team is spending it's dolllars oh so wisely. Your 2 backs both want new deals and you are already up against the cap..

Don't you remember that you had a qb in Chad who led you to a 10-6 record and the playoffs several times over the years and then you dumped him for Farve after a season where the team had injuries everywhere.

Oh by the way how did that decesion work out for your team? That's right you lost to Chad at home sending Chad to the playoffs on a team that only won 1 game the year before.

Your teams quest for the next strong armed pretty boy is just like the Raiders quest for speed at every position and as you know that has worked wonders for them..

Also didn't BB take O'Connell in the 3rd round last year? So if a 7th round pick who almost was cut during training camp can lead our team to an 11-5 record, what does it say about the overall level of talent on your roster?

As for the man Brady, just fyi Phillip Rivers tore his ACL, MCL & PCL in January 2007 during the playoffs, rehab to throw for 4000 yards this last year to a bunch of guys who wouldn't make our team so I am sure Tom the great will be exposing your teams defensive flaws like usual. 

You guys are like the red headed step child there in NY. Like the Islanders compared to the Rangers. The Giants are NY's real team.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Beatty actually has very long arms, which is part of the reason I liked him:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-heightvsarmlength031209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

With an eye toward the 2009 NFL draft class, we can now rank the nation’s top offensive tackles according to their arm length/reach and break down what each measurement means.

Photo Smith’s reach makes up for his relative lack of height.
    (John Reed/US Presswire)

Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 332), arm length: 35 5/8 inches
    Although Smith is a bit short for the position by NFL standards, his length more than makes up for his height. Smith actually plays more like a tackle who is 6-8. He possesses great feet for his size, but he lacks the kind of explosion needed on his kick step to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers. However, it’s his length that will allow him to hold his own in pass protection and engage long-armed defensive ends on the outside and drive them off the ball.

William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 307), arm length: 34¾ inches
    Beatty does a great job getting out of his stance quickly and extending his long arms in pass protection. He showcases impressive hand placement on the outside and is consistently able to engage quickly and keep defensive ends off his body. Beatty possesses the coordination, foot speed and length to man the left tackle spot in the NFL.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5, 309), arm length: 34 inches
    Monroe displays good patience in pass protection and has the length to consistently keep linemen off his body. He does a great job extending his arms and plays even longer than his wingspan indicates. There’s no question in my mind that Monroe has the length and overall athleticism to become one of the top tackles in the NFL the next couple of years.

Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 309), arm length: 33¾ inches
    Smith relies on his pure athletic ability and body coordination in pass protection, but he also has enough length to keep defenders off his frame. He will play a bit short-armed at times, but that’s more a result of his lacking technique and continued development as a left tackle. He’ll learn to use every bit of his 33¾-inch reach at the next level once he gets some NFL coaching.

Michael Oher, Mississippi (6-5, 309), arm length: 33½ inches
    Oher is a big, athletically-gifted tackle who has all physical tools to make it in the NFL. He’s raw from a technique standpoint, and longer arms could help him make up for his consistent false steps and missed assignments. However, 33½ is right around the average length for an NFL starter and is more than enough for Oher to get by.

Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 309), arm length: 32½ inches
    Britton’s lack of length is a concern for me, especially if teams are looking at him as a left tackle prospect. Britton is a polished pass protector who showcases good technique and does a great job extending his arms and getting every bit out of his 32½- inch reach. However, that length is a concern for a left tackle and could force Britton into a right tackle role on some NFL teams.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

With Tate I think the surprise was more on his failing the drug test than the knee.  After thinking about it most of the pundits out there thought that this could have been a steal.

I think we can look at McKenzie as being an OLB for us.  High motor rep which was nice to hear.

In a way I was surprised about you listing Maualuga as the bad.  It was a dream shattered by reality.  The Pats passed on him three times which I think speaks volumns.  Not to mention the other teams that passed on him.  It means he is probably a two down player and the rep of being very undisciplined is true.  Most of us simply had him over valued.  He's simply not what we thought he was.

Vollmer is an interesting prospect.  To say there were better prospects is probably true appereance wise.  The upside on this guy is suppose to be very high.  Two or three years from now we'll see what he brings to the table.  They could have waited in hindsight but who knows?  This guy was climbing the charts.

I don't consider Ohmberger a waste.  Ingram was probably selected for special team duties as long snapper and kickoffs.  Something we did need.

There just were no blocking type TEs in this draft outside of Pettigrew.  The TE thing didn't break my heart much although if you wanted something to complain about you can use this.

The Hobbs trade surprised me.  I thought they should have been able to get more too.  The only thing that I can think if is to make room under the cap to bring in Jason Taylor or to help with the contracts they have coming up.

Not too much ugly for me really.  The draft overall worked for me. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

It is the issue...considering that the Pats could have had both players at #34. You originally asked me, "why complain about not taking Maualuga as a bad, yet taking McKenzie as a good". Because Maualuga wasn't taken, McKenzie was needed to fill their ILB void.     
    Posted by TexasPat3

But if you're saying that McKenzie is a good then you're saying that our take on ILB is good. If you're saying that not taking Maualuga and instead taking Chung was bad then you're saying that ILB still isn't answered and that safety was not a need. Logic in determining what you're defining as good and what is defined as bad is crossed over. Since they're supposed to hold opposite meanings, it doesn't make logical sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

2 positions I will never question when drafted is o-line and d-line.
    wasn't makins considered a reach? wasn't ty warren? or even seymore?

If bb thinks volmer is for real then thats good enough for me. I question other positions but never o-line and d-line.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Maualuga is a better ILB prospect than McKenzie. But, for where he was selected, and because the Pats had a need at ILB, Mckenzie was a good pick. The question is, whether Chung was a better prospect than Mauluga.
    Posted by TexasPat3

No. The question is whether Chung and McKenzie are better prospects than Maualuga and the safety alternative. There is also a different question of whether BB saw Maualuga as a better prospect than McKenzie. The question of Chung and Maualuga doesn't have much relavance, the apples to oranges comparison.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think RM was on the draft board higher than a late 3rd or 4th rounder for the Pats. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I don't believe that Maualuga was on our draft board or he was significantly downgraded.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

They also worked out Tate a couple of times. Being able to keep Tate on the team without putting him on the 53 man roster also gives Tate value to the Pats. If he does play, Tate offers 1st round quality receiving ability and the best return skills in the draft.

We all know about Maualuga's weaknesses and strengths entering the draft. No doubt he has the talent. I wanted him at those picks. On the other hand, BB and the scouts may not have liked him for third downs. They may not have liked his tendency to over pursue plays. They may not have liked his measurables. They may not have liked his character red flags. There are definitely reasons for the Pats to pass on Maualuga or drop him to later in the draft on their board.

Sections
Shortcuts