The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!

No question about it. Has my vote, if I had one that is.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

You'll get no arguments from me, but this post is a bit like barging into a Leonard Skynard concert and declaring you're willing to fight anyone who disagrees with your right to fly the confederate flag.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!:
    [QUOTE]Please! some one, anyone, please tell me who is better or has surpassed our beloved Coach Belichick. The man simply puts a single simple sentence into each and every player that is under his command. listen! and do your job! come on fellahs, somewhere along the line that statement really fkn clicked. The 2010 Patriots are the greatest team in the NFL and I do not see anbody coming close to beating BB and TB so let anyone tell me that I am full of it. 2010 New England Patriots................World fkn Champions.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

How about the guy The Trophy is named after: Vince Lombardi? Then there's this slug named Knute Rockne, and a joker named Alonzo Stagg? Want to go more recent, there's Landry, Noll, and Shula.

Fughedaboudit! The number of wins isn't the measuring stick. BB's got the luxury to coach more games per year, and have a better opportunity for post season victories than the other guys did. Also, the 12 game schedules were a lot tougher than today, due to expansion and merger over the years. Would you say that Jackson is a better coach than Red Auerbach? How about Wilkins, who has more "wins"? Is Gene Mauch the greatest MLB manager because of the number of wins?

Shame that recent Pats fans think that "history" began in 2001.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

He's the only coach who has won at least fourteen games in a season four different times.

The Patriots almost seem to be playing a different kind of football this year, as if Belichick had invented a completely new way to play the game, as if he had figured out something about it that nobody has ever seen before.  If you look at the conventional statistics (yards gained, yards surrendered), you would swear they had to be an 8-8 team at best, but the combination of take-away defense and ultra-efficient offense has been unbelievable. 

The completely amazing thing is that he has built the best team in the NFL and still has a better draft position than the worst teams in the league.  How in the world did he do that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!:
    [QUOTE]Please! some one, anyone, please tell me who is better or has surpassed our beloved Coach Belichick. The man simply puts a single simple sentence into each and every player that is under his command. listen! and do your job! come on fellahs, somewhere along the line that statement really fkn clicked. The 2010 Patriots are the greatest team in the NFL and I do not see anbody coming close to beating BB and TB so let anyone tell me that I am full of it. 2010 New England Patriots................World fkn Champions.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

And there's Bill Walsh, who developed the West Coast Offense, which is being used around the league and in many college programs.

So, OK; I'll bite. You've called out and you're full of "it" (or something like "it".) 

Was he the Greatest Coast Ever during or after the 2007 season? How about after his first season with NE? Recall the Browns Experience? Still great then? Will you be making the same claim if he should lose someplace along the way in the AFC playoffs, or lose the Super Bowl? Will he still be the greatest then? Or, will something else cause him to lose, should that happen?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : How about the guy The Trophy is named after: Vince Lombardi? Then there's this slug named Knute Rockne, and a joker named Alonzo Stagg? Want to go more recent, there's Landry, Noll, and Shula. Fughedaboudit! The number of wins isn't the measuring stick. BB's got the luxury to coach more games per year, and have a better opportunity for post season victories than the other guys did. Also, the 12 game schedules were a lot tougher than today, due to expansion and merger over the years. Would you say that Jackson is a better coach than Red Auerbach? How about Wilkins, who has more "wins"? Is Gene Mauch the greatest MLB manager because of the number of wins? Shame that recent Pats fans think that "history" began in 2001.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

I hate the argument in general because i do not like to diminish any of the great coaching jobs in history.

However trying to compare a job did when they could just keep there best players till they were not good anymore because of the way the rules were back then makes it no comparison at all.

It's much more difficult for a coach to deal with constant turnover and the inability to just keep or get all the best players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

While preparing to Bronze BB, or annoint him for sainthood, here are some facts:

Lombardi has a better regular season winning percentage (96-34; .738) than BB does (162-94; .633). Lombardi lost only 1 playoff game ('60 NFL Championship), BB's lost 5, including the '07 season's SB. After losing the '60 NFL championship, Lombardi swore and promised he'd never lose another one..... the Pack never did, let alone a playoff game. Lombardi never had a losing season. BB can't claim that 4 with the Browns plus his first with NE). Lombardi won championships in 5 of his 10 head coaching season (9 with GB, 1 with the Redskins). BB? 3 in 15 years (.333); none since 2/2005. Not even close. That slug name Landry only had two long playoff streaks: one of 8 games (durung 14 game seasons), the other of 9 (the first 3 during 14 game seasons). BB can't claim that. 

Now, we can argue the quality of football today vs yesteryear, or how difficult it is to keep a team together today due to free agency, salary cap, etc. To do what BB and Kraft have done is pretty damned good, and no other franchise TODAY has come close. But the game itself has changed, the rule of play have changed, and the number of teams playing have changed. Different eras are involved. I'm pretty sure the NFL wanted something called "parity", and have successfully achieved it (5 different SB winnes in last 6 games). 

That slug name Landry only had two long playoff streaks: one of 8 games (durung 14 game seasons), the other of 9 (the first 3 during 14 game seasons). BB can't claim that. 

Even BB himself would say that your claim is way off base.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

And yet BB has coached during an era specifically designed to eliminate dynasties. Landry and Lombardi were great coaches, but they also had superior rosters to the majority of the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : I hate the argument in general because i do not like to diminish any of the great coaching jobs in history. However trying to compare a job did when they could just keep there best players till they were not good anymore because of the way the rules were back then makes it no comparison at all. It's much more difficult for a coach to deal with constant turnover and the inability to just keep or get all the best players.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Will you agree that in both cases (SB winning Pats and SB winning Packers) that both coaches kept the best players they wanted on their rosters? And that dollar signs really had nothing to do with it? Will you agree ith me that when it was time for a player to be let go, that both coaches did so and filled the roster spot with servicable players they wanted? Remember, while he was able to keep his team pretty much intact, Lombardi coached against teams that could do the same. BB's coaching against teams under the same constraints. So, it is an apples/apples comparrison for the respetive rules under which they both coach.
    Lombardi could hold onto his players, BB had to replace many; so did the teams they coach(ed) against. They both seem to do it better in their eras. BB's got his Colts, Steelers, and Chargers consistently successful today; Lombardi had his Colts, Bears and Cowboys back then. It is, comparitively, "like to like". 

Or, do you actually believe that there was a dearth of "good players" back in the 60's with which ONLY Lombardi was able to corner the market with? Or that ONLY BB has the savy and knowledge to put together a winning team year after year, while NOT winning recent SB's? Careful, the Squeelers have won 2 of the last 4; would appear that they do a better job?)  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

"Will you agree that in both cases (SB winning Pats and SB winning Packers) that both coaches kept the best players they wanted on their rosters? And that dollar signs really had nothing to do with it?"

If you think there are better coaches in history than BB, that's fine. There's a lot of good ones to choose from. But please stop with the nonsensical arguments that the salary cap has no impact on competitiveness. Of course dollar signs have a lot to do with it.

If you have to work too hard to make an argument, it says something about that argument. Cognitive Dissonance is a terrible thing...Let it go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]And yet BB has coached during an era specifically designed to eliminate dynasties. Landry and Lombardi were great coaches, but they also had superior rosters to the majority of the league.
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

Interesting. And just how were they able to put their rosters together? FA signings? Some players of lesser quality. That leaves trades and the draft. The early 60's draft went 17 rounds. Today's goes 7, and then undrafted players can get signed. So, instead of "buying" a winner, they coached franchises that used intelligence to do it. (You do know that Lombardi made ALL the personnel decisions, don't you?) There were also less teams in the old NFL, and they played every team every year, right? Hmmmmm......  The Pats don't seem to play that schedule. Thus, we get whines about how this team's schedule is a "piece of cake", or that team's schedule is a "complete joke". How a Pats dominence of the Bills is still a rivalry, yet the Squeeler/Brown 'rivalry" is a joke. I get it now!

Then again yiu may not want to admitt it, but today's rules were not developed to eliminated "dynasties". It was a result of CBA negotiatins and labor unrest. Players wanted free movement, and got it with restrictions. The OWNERS came up with the salary cap, to protect themselves from themselves; they didn't want to see a Yankees situation  happening in the NFL, which it could with 2 NY area teams, the Bears, 49'ers, 'Boys, etc. The players have no say in the cap.   

BB is very good and the best there is today. But to annoint him as the best all time is a stretch. I'd easily put him in the discussion of the top 5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I hate the lombardi comparison. The man never had to deal with ANY of the cap, free agency BS.

There is absolutely no comparing then to now.

Anyone can read this and see that teams could basically hold captive the players they wanted to keep for just about as long as they wanted.

Even the Landry arguments vs BB. I would bet you can see a big decline in Landry's stats after he started to have to deal with some of todays issues nearing the end of his tenure.

And although many poopoo BB for his first head coaching gig in Cleveland. His record was far better than Landry's in the both of their 1st 5 seasons as head coaches.

Its all apples and oranges. BB, Lombardi, Landry all great coaches. You can't compare them.

I think its amazing what the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers organizations have been able to sustain in an era where the NFL is desperately trying to cram parity down everyones throats.

...and as someone stated already. BB has nothing but respect for the various coaching legends and their respective accomplishments.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Will you agree that in both cases (SB winning Pats and SB winning Packers) that both coaches kept the best players they wanted on their rosters? And that dollar signs really had nothing to do with it? Will you agree ith me that when it was time for a player to be let go, that both coaches did so and filled the roster spot with servicable players they wanted? Remember, while he was able to keep his team pretty much intact, Lombardi coached against teams that could do the same. BB's coaching against teams under the same constraints. So, it is an apples/apples comparrison for the respetive rules under which they both coach. Lombardi could hold onto his players, BB had to replace many; so did the teams they coach(ed) against. They both seem to do it better in their eras. BB's got his Colts, Steelers, and Chargers consistently successful today; Lombardi had his Colts, Bears and Cowboys back then. It is, comparitively, "like to like".  Or, do you actually believe that there was a dearth of "good players" back in the 60's with which ONLY Lombardi was able to corner the market with? Or that ONLY BB has the savy and knowledge to put together a winning team year after year, while NOT winning recent SB's? Careful, the Squeelers have won 2 of the last 4; would appear that they do a better job?)  
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

in some part yes I would agree but not in totality.

You can't call the longevity of the success apples to apples because teams now would be able to keep rolling at least theoretically if they did not have to worry about losing players. (ie. branch, samuels, seymour, mankins etc for some examples)

Unlike 2007 when the Pats were consider to have a pretty good roster although many questioned the D. Most of the other successful years I never really heard many people ballyhooing about the talented roster. Maybe a lil bit of that in 04 as well.

01 and 06 and this year, heck most years they are having success with not nearly what is considered the most talented roster in the NFL.

I do not want to say the following with conviction as I am no historian on football but from the classic historical shows I've seen on ESPN or NFL network Lombardi's teams where most often considered one of the most talented rosters if not the most back then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I think trying to compare coaches from different eras is as futile as trying to compare players from different eras.

BB is very good and glad to have him and I am sure everyone agrees at least on that much.

Thats about the extent of it.

As for who's the "best" don't really care. Just a pet peeve of mine when anyone brings up lombardi straight away and draws a comparison to someone today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]"Will you agree that in both cases (SB winning Pats and SB winning Packers) that both coaches kept the best players they wanted on their rosters? And that dollar signs really had nothing to do with it?" If you think there are better coaches in history than BB, that's fine. There's a lot of good ones to choose from. But please stop with the nonsensical arguments that the salary cap has no impact on competitiveness. Of course dollar signs have a lot to do with it. If you have to work too hard to make an argument, it says something about that argument. Cognitive Dissonance is a terrible thing...Let it go.
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

Well, thank you fow allowing me my opinion. Too bad you can't back yiurs up with actual facts or numbers. just a "salary cap" thrown up against the wall. Have you been paying attention to recent history, seing yiu don't believe anything before 2000 ever happened or mattered? Seesm to me the Steelers are the BEST team at handling this cap situation, winning 2 of the last 4 SB's. fter all, isn't winning the LOMBARDI the only measurement of success (see: Manning/Brady and Pats/any other NFL team discussions)?

Let's look at the roster BB inherited and won his SB's with. Now, what did the cast off players or those leaving in FA win again? Did he cut loose/allow to leave any player he felt was a vital cog to winning more Lombardis? Seems to me BB did a pretty good job in keeping players and signing others (some call them cast offs). Do you think Lombardi, Landry, etc, MAY have done the same "back then"? My point is, which you obviously miss, is that they all achieved success under the rules they had to play under. How do you think the Colts, Squeelers, Eagles, etc, stay "more than competitive" today? Yet, all 60's franchises except for the Packers were too dumb to figure it out?

Trust me that this isn't a hard arguement to make. Your insistance that the salary cap is THE CAUSE of parity is bogus; it's an equalizer at best, much that same as the finances of the 60's was. It's that some do it better than otheres, and BB is one of the better ones. The sadness is that you can't or won't acknowledge anything not "Brilliantly Belichick".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]I hate the lombardi comparison. The man never had to deal with ANY of the cap, free agency BS. There is absolutely no comparing then to now. Anyone can read this and see that teams could basically hold captive the players they wanted to keep for just about as long as they wanted. http://books.google.com/books?id=PGRkblShhU8C&pg=PA520&lpg=PA520&dq=first+year+of+the+rozelle+rule&source=bl&ots=EAfFpfxl0U&sig=LWfQY702V7DnSwiOIg28ps7GkgM&hl=en&ei=F4UiTYGeLIT7lwfq8cDrCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=first%20year%20of%20the%20rozelle%20rule&f=false Even the Landry arguments vs BB. I would bet you can see a big decline in Landry's stats after he started to have to deal with some of todays issues nearing the end of his tenure. And although many poopoo BB for his first head coaching gig in Cleveland. His record was far better than Landry's in the both of their 1st 5 seasons as head coaches. Its all apples and oranges. BB, Lombardi, Landry all great coaches. You can't compare them. I think its amazing what the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers organizations have been able to sustain in an era where the NFL is desperately trying to cram parity down everyones throats. ...and as someone stated already. BB has nothing but respect for the various coaching legends and their respective accomplishments.

Ah, yes.... another "It's the CAP, stupid!" apologist. Or, is is "It's the stupid cap!"?

Tell us HOW the cap came into being? This ought to be interesting. The commish is hired by and works for the OWNERS. The owners are the NFL! THEY make the rules by which they govern themselves. Now, why would the owners want to create the cap in the first place? Do you REALLY buy that "cram parity down throats" crappola? They did it to protect themselves from themselves. What kind of parity is it where you've got a handful of continually successful franchise year after year, and the same base doormats year after year, with some movement in the middle ground area? Why is it that some franchises do not spend to the cap? Or, that these are some of the least successful franchises?

try this one on for comprehension: BB is playing by the rules governing the game TODAY, while Lombardi, Landry, et al, did the same "back then". Each coach built his team under the rules of engagement at the time, they both discarded or let go players they didn't feel warranted a spot on their roster. Each had the ability to recognize talent and then develop it. Each built through the draft, as well as signing the "spare parts" they felt their teams needed to stay successful. One has a salary cap, Lombardi never had the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of yearly TV revenue at his disposal to, er, "help keep his team together" (or revenue sharing; anyone saying Green Bay is the same economic stalwart as NYC if a fool).

Keep on believing that salary cap stuff!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Belichick is a piker.

He never brought no 7-9 team to the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : How about the guy The Trophy is named after: Vince Lombardi? Then there's this slug named Knute Rockne, and a joker named Alonzo Stagg? Want to go more recent, there's Landry, Noll, and Shula. Fughedaboudit! The number of wins isn't the measuring stick. BB's got the luxury to coach more games per year, and have a better opportunity for post season victories than the other guys did. Also, the 12 game schedules were a lot tougher than today, due to expansion and merger over the years. Would you say that Jackson is a better coach than Red Auerbach? How about Wilkins, who has more "wins"? Is Gene Mauch the greatest MLB manager because of the number of wins? Shame that recent Pats fans think that "history" began in 2001.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, more games, more competition, so your theory doesn't work.  None of the named guys could handle the complexity of today's game.  You also left out salary cap, free agency, advanced tape study and a host of other things that make today's game incredible difficult to coach.  Shame for you fans that reach back into the past and claim anything from there was superior to today.  Most of those players/coaches wouldn't even make it on a modern team.  The single minded dedication required to pursue a coaching or playing career today was not shared by those past players and coaches, as their own accounts of their behavior indicates.  And the sheer complexity of a modern team would bewilder most of them.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : in some part yes I would agree but not in totality. You can't call the longevity of the success apples to apples because teams now would be able to keep rolling at least theoretically if they did not have to worry about losing players. (ie. branch, samuels, seymour, mankins etc for some examples) Unlike 2007 when the Pats were consider to have a pretty good roster although many questioned the D. Most of the other successful years I never really heard many people ballyhooing about the talented roster. Maybe a lil bit of that in 04 as well. 01 and 06 and this year, heck most years they are having success with not nearly what is considered the most talented roster in the NFL. I do not want to say the following with conviction as I am no historian on football but from the classic historical shows I've seen on ESPN or NFL network Lombardi's teams where most often considered one of the most talented rosters if not the most back then.

Ah, but here's the fly in your ointment: Lombardi NEVER had the luxury of having hundreds of millions in yearly TV revenue and revenue sharing to build/keep a team together. Lombardi too a team on a 10+ year losing skein into a winner in year #1, and losing the NFL championship in 1960. After losing to Philthydelphia in '60, he vowed and promised his team that they'd never lose another championship game. A bold statement/promise that he kept. The Pack never lost another championship game under Lombardi. He built, coached, motivated, and willed his teams to win. There were 7 HOF's on the team that he took over in 1959. HE turned that team and those players around. The more you win, the better your chances are of being All Pro and HOF.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Ah, but here's the fly in your ointment: Lombardi NEVER had the luxury of having hundreds of millions in yearly TV revenue and revenue sharing to build/keep a team together. Lombardi too a team on a 10+ year losing skein into a winner in year #1, and losing the NFL championship in 1960. After losing to Philthydelphia in '60, he vowed and promised his team that they'd never lose another championship game. A bold statement/promise that he kept. The Pack never lost another championship game under Lombardi. He built, coached, motivated, and willed his teams to win. There were 7 HOF's on the team that he took over in 1959. HE turned that team and those players around. The more you win, the better your chances are of being All Pro and HOF.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

The fly in the ointment is that Lombardi did not need millions of dollars in revenue since there was no free agency.  His players had to accept what he offered to pay them.  It does not work that way anymore.  I am not taking anything away from Lombardi, who was obviously a tremendous coach, but he did not have to worry about losing any of those seven hall of famers as long as he wanted to retain their services.  No modern coach has that luxury. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : I'm sorry, more games, more competition, so your theory doesn't work.  None of the named guys could handle the complexity of today's game.  You also left out salary cap, free agency, advanced tape study and a host of other things that make today's game incredible difficult to coach.  Shame for you fans that reach back into the past and claim anything from there was superior to today.  Most of those players/coaches wouldn't even make it on a modern team.  The single minded dedication required to pursue a coaching or playing career today was not shared by those past players and coaches, as their own accounts of their behavior indicates.  And the sheer complexity of a modern team would bewilder most of them.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!

I did not leave out the salary cap excuse, nor FA. Again, the OWNERS came up with the salary cap to protect themselves FROM themselves. The owners are the NFL; the commish works for them. No player union or judge decreed that the cap MUST be in place. More games equal more competitoon ONLY IF the 16 games are played against 16 different teams, NOT vs 6 in your division, and 4 vs a division in the other conference.

Tell us who developed and perfected "advandced tape study"? Lombardi was an assistant under Blake, Army's HC, who had long tape breakdown sessions before your mommy was playing with her Kodak 110 Instamatic or your Daddy his Polaroid Swinger. he brought that to Green Bay and used it to his advantage. His coaching staff ws comperable in numbers to the NFL norm, which was not up to 25 per team. His were that much better than the rest of the NFL.

Sad to see that you feel the need to believe that anythng before yesterday isn't relevent or important. I'd take a bunch of "those old guys" over most any HC in the NFL today. Just who do you think put in the work, and laid the foundation to what we enjoy on Sundays today? The players? If they didn't play, they didn't get paid. I'd take a hungry player over today's guaranteed millionaire sitting out with a painful hang nail, headache, or "groin injury", or some other malaise. Injuries happened back then, WITHOUT today's medicine available to tape 'em up and sit 'em on the bench.  

Pick up a book and do some reading on the history of the game. "And the sheer complexity of a modern team would bewilder most of them." Sad to think you actually believe this garbage!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]BB is best coach of his era (the 2000s).  Leave it at that.   A lot of the children on this board need to understand that BB did NOT invent the plays and schemes used in the game today; they were created by pioneers decades ago.  You can't compare the two.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree and have said as much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : LMFAO! I did not leave out the salary cap excuse, nor FA. Again, the OWNERS came up with the salary cap to protect themselves FROM themselves. The owners are the NFL; the commish works for them. No player union or judge decreed that the cap MUST be in place. More games equal more competitoon ONLY IF the 16 games are played against 16 different teams, NOT vs 6 in your division, and 4 vs a division in the other conference. Tell us who developed and perfected "advandced tape study"? Lombardi was an assistant under Blake, Army's HC, who had long tape breakdown sessions before your mommy was playing with her Kodak 110 Instamatic or your Daddy his Polaroid Swinger. he brought that to Green Bay and used it to his advantage. His coaching staff ws comperable in numbers to the NFL norm, which was not up to 25 per team. His were that much better than the rest of the NFL. Sad to see that you feel the need to believe that anythng before yesterday isn't relevent or important. I'd take a bunch of "those old guys" over most any HC in the NFL today. Just who do you think put in the work, and laid the foundation to what we enjoy on Sundays today? The players? If they didn't play, they didn't get paid. I'd take a hungry player over today's guaranteed millionaire sitting out with a painful hang nail, headache, or "groin injury", or some other malaise. Injuries happened back then, WITHOUT today's medicine available to tape 'em up and sit 'em on the bench.   Pick up a book and do some reading on the history of the game. "And the sheer complexity of a modern team would bewilder most of them." Sad to think you actually believe this garbage!
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

The Army head coach was named Blaik.  Maybe you should pick up a book and do some reading about the history of the game.