The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!

In Bill We trust

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

no matter how anybody looks at it this topic will never end!!I think bb is one of the best but you still got too look back at  where it came from ,who did what for the sport and where it is today

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Well, thank you fow allowing me my opinion. Too bad you can't back yiurs up with actual facts or numbers. just a "salary cap" thrown up against the wall. Have you been paying attention to recent history, seing yiu don't believe anything before 2000 ever happened or mattered? Seesm to me the Steelers are the BEST team at handling this cap situation, winning 2 of the last 4 SB's. fter all, isn't winning the LOMBARDI the only measurement of success (see: Manning/Brady and Pats/any other NFL team discussions)? Let's look at the roster BB inherited and won his SB's with. Now, what did the cast off players or those leaving in FA win again? Did he cut loose/allow to leave any player he felt was a vital cog to winning more Lombardis? Seems to me BB did a pretty good job in keeping players and signing others (some call them cast offs). Do you think Lombardi, Landry, etc, MAY have done the same "back then"? My point is, which you obviously miss, is that they all achieved success under the rules they had to play under. How do you think the Colts, Squeelers, Eagles, etc, stay "more than competitive" today? Yet, all 60's franchises except for the Packers were too dumb to figure it out? Trust me that this isn't a hard arguement to make. Your insistance that the salary cap is THE CAUSE of parity is bogus; it's an equalizer at best, much that same as the finances of the 60's was. It's that some do it better than otheres, and BB is one of the better ones. The sadness is that you can't or won't acknowledge anything not "Brilliantly Belichick".
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Even the Cowboys front office are in total admiration that BB won the 2 out of 3 SBs
    because it is so hard to keep players.  Your whole team can fall apart in a flash, the no guaranteed contracts and so many things makes it easy to win a 1st SB, but hard to get the second as you can see.

You make some good points about Lombardi, but today is today, and BB rebuilt his team on the fly, doing so many brilliant things to keep his team competive these days.

It is a tough topic in any era to discuss, and like most fans of today, outside of baseball, very few great players from the distant past get credit for what they do.  Also the egos are much bigger today with all the money athletes make.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

look, just accept different eras for what they were. each had their advantages and non-advantages. salary cap era has lots of things that make it easier to compete than the non-salary cap one. for instance, a team like NO was stuck with perpetual mediocrity for it could not sustainably compete with the deeper pockets of teams like the raiders, cowboys and dolphins of their day. today, pretty much has equal footing and well-managed teams like pats have the advantage over ones with deeper pockets for everything is noe=w regulated and limited. bottom line is still about WINS, be it in 1940 or 2010, phil jackson versus red and so forth. i am a celtic fan but must give phil his due OVER phil. red had all the stars in a 110 team league. not knocking his success but y knock phil. didnt previous coaches have access to both kobe and shaq, how did that work out? didnt someone have shaq and penny hardaway bak in the day, where are there rings? being able to properly hoard in massive egos is a skill too while managing high expectations! if bill wins 2 more championships, regardless of how he does it, he's the MAN without much debate, in same way most now consider  joe montana the best qb without much debate (not unitas of otto graham).. lf brady gets 5, most debates would be mute.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

Let's ask Bill.  
    I'm good with whatever he says:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Phil Jackson can't hold Auerbach's jock. Jackson never built a thing.  Most overrated coach of in NBA history.  He just strolled onto 2 different teams that had HOFers on them.  How convenient.

Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

We're talking about coaching, not building. If we're factoring in general managing, then it's a different discussion. But this is a thread about coaching. I don't think you can argue, on the one hand, that it's harder to win consistently in the cap era and in a time when there were far more teams in the case of Belichick (which I agree with) but then discount all that entirely when it comes to Jackson. 

Auerbach built a great team and was able to keep it together, nobody left via free agency. And Auerbach's teams had their share of HOFers, it's not like he was running a crew of albino midgets out there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Dude who is talking about the cap? I am talking about Free agency period.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Pay attention; the cap came about as a result of the FA process. Owners protecting themselves from themselves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Dude who is talking about the cap? I am talking about Free agency period.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

FA as we now know it started in 1993; the cap started with teh 1994 season. They are forever tied together at the hip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Actually AZPAT he was great in Cleveland . He turned that team around in three years and made it a playoff team when the normal turn-around time was five years. He just worked for an owner that was more interested in placating the media than backing up his coach and winning championships. Modell even said on TV that it was the worst decision he ever made.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

My bad for omitting Paul Brown. Won 4 championships early.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Plus, you are a bit of an a$s.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes! The traditional comeback when there's nothing to counter with.
    Enjoy your frozen sandbox. You'll be able to play with your shovel in a few short months.

More complex than today! Good grief! We're talking NFL legends, niot yiur inability to trell an "X" from an "O". (Sorry, but "hugs" and "kisses" are NIT the right answers.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

agian too difernt eras cant compare the the too!! all you can do right now is who help the league oue and helped invent the nfl today  and in 20 yrs yes i will say bb was ones of them and did good things but not like  the old days

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

who invened the sport and who made it better the lombaris and landrys made it what it is and bb made his carreer out of it and will be a lengend too

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Even the Cowboys front office are in total admiration that BB won the 2 out of 3 SBs because it is so hard to keep players.  Your whole team can fall apart in a flash, the no guaranteed contracts and so many things makes it easy to win a 1st SB, but hard to get the second as you can see. You make some good points about Lombardi, but today is today, and BB rebuilt his team on the fly, doing so many brilliant things to keep his team competive these days. It is a tough topic in any era to discuss, and like most fans of today, outside of baseball, very few great players from the distant past get credit for what they do.  Also the egos are much bigger today with all the money athletes make.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

No one is saying that BB isn't part of the discussion of one of the best of all time. I'M NOT SAYING THAT! He should and needs to be part of this discussion, but I'm holding back on the claim of "Greatest", putting forth logic and fact, yet all I get is this nebulus FA and salary cap stuff. Amazing that folks can't accept the fact that teams all operated under the same rules in the 60's, as they do today since FA and the cap came along. I repeatedly factually state that the cap was created by owners to protect them from themselves (ie: not wanting to have a NY Yankees type franchise in the NFL to outspend smaller market teams). Anyone thinking the NJ franchises, or the Bears wouldn't have the ability to do this is foolish. Or the Fins, using So Florida as a "sell". If these weren't in place, one could argue that there would still be a franchise in LA, the #2 market in the USA! Thus, TV and revenue sharing were created by the owners.

Lombardi built his teams in his own way, taking over a team that were doormats for 15 years, and using the same core of players won 5 championships in 10 years. When players got too old or outserved their usefullness to him, they were cut or traded. BB does the same thing and is hailed a genius, despite many players still on he roster from the SB loss to the Packers, less than 5 years prior. If one wants to argue the BB is constrained by the salary cap and FA, one can equally debate that Lombardi was handicapped by not having hundrrds of millions of dollars with which to put together a team, and work it to be as competitive as he did (never had a losing season). The Pats have a whole staff to work on the salary cap stuff, leaving BB to work game plans and player personnel. Lombardi was chief cook and bottle washer, knowing what the team board was willing to spend on salaries, and doling it out as best as he saw fit. I'd venture a guess that the Pats have at least 100 employees. The Packers had less then 30, yet still managed to win games and championships. Just look at the size of the coaching staffs! Packer coaches coached multiple postitions. BB's coaches specialize by position, and have their own assistants. They damned well better be a good team! The Packers financial outlay was considerably smaller, but the dollar back then had real value to it, unlike today's Monopoly money being tossed around. 

Today's players egos are a mute point, as both BB and Lombardi wouldn't tolerate that stuff. BB continualy drafts near the end of the draft due to his success. Lombardi had the same constraints. We are talking apples to apples; perhaps a different type of apple, but still an apple just the same.

Today's players are biggger and faster. That is a fact. But, consider that these athletes in ALL sports, have been groomed to star in their respective sports since pre-teen age. They train 24/7/365, and go to "camps". Intelligence? PUHLEEZE! Players in the 60's couldn't get drafted until their class graduated. Plus, when their season was over, they actually HELD REAL JOBS, many requiring a higher education and intellect than a DJ, reality show whiz, or a pro athlete that loves to frequent the "clubs". What have we got today? Two year players coming out. Ever listen to these underclassmen jumping to the NFL? Any they used to say Terry Bradshaw was dumb, "Know wha I'm sayin'?"  

Longevity? The career span of today's player is less then 5 years. "Experts" contribute this to injuries, as if that's it. Why no credit going to they ar e dime a dozen, and that someone else is right there ready to be on the roster for the same or less pay? If I'm wrong, then tell me who BB OVERSPENT on as a FA or to kep one of his own from becoming a FA.

Finally, to say that the great coaches of yesteryear wouldn't be able to handle today's game with the same success they achieved when they cemented the NFL on the landscape is disingenuine and without any factual basis. I'd LOVE to see Lombardi game plan a Manning, defending a TO, or defying the Steelers defense to stop his power running game. Or to see just how good BB would have been in the 60's, operating under those rules, playing every team every year once.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]All the pre free agency, no salary cap coaches had the luxury of building and preserving a winner without those additional challenge.  They also played in smaller leagues, with shorter seasons played by slower, smaller players which translates to fewer injuries. BB built a winner where there was a team in decline (Carroll era).  He won 3 SB's in four years which puts on a short list of two coaches.  Now he has rebuilt his team into a SB favorite without having endured a losing season - unprecedented (70's Steelers, 70's Fins, 70's and 90's Cowboys, 80'sRedskins, Bills, and 80-90's Niners all had down years).  He gets my vote
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

HUH?

Injuries are in relation to the players playing. There is no such thing as having a "little blown out knee", which DID happen "back then". You forgot to mention that today's medical advancements and technology allow injured players to heal faster (therapy sessions 24/7/365, and get back in the game sooner. Torn knee cartilege as serious, and torn ligaments meant a career ended (Gale Sayers, anyone?), especially if it was for multiple injuries. maybe you should start paying attention to the injuries that take place BEFORE training camps open, and then those that happen during camp. So much for the "shorter season translating to fewer injuries". Someone previously mentioned "drugs". Players in the 60's used pain meds and uppers to get back on the field. The guys in the 70's brought 'juice" into play, which is still a problem today. Take a look at the physiques of today's players vs the 60's and tell me that something besides Mother Nature and steel dumbbells make them look this way. 

BB tooka "team in decline" (8-8 the least year with Carroll), a few seasons removed from the SB loss to the Packers, and churned out a losing 5-11 season. Lombardi took a team on a 15 year skid and won right out of the chute; never had a losing season as a HC in the NFL, including his one and only (last) season coaching the doormat Redskins. 3 championships in 4 years is a tremendius achievement, But BB has not won 5 in 10 years. (Notice your comparrison to teams "all the way back" to the 70's regarding championship teams that eventually declined. Hmmmm..... interesting you don't stretch back to the 60's when one team didn't decline under it's coach. I'll put you into the "Anything Happening Before The Super Bowl Era really Doesn't Matter" camp. Does soemone need to tell yiou who coached the first two SB winners of this era?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : We're talking about coaching, not building. If we're factoring in general managing, then it's a different discussion. But this is a thread about coaching. I don't think you can argue, on the one hand, that it's harder to win consistently in the cap era and in a time when there were far more teams in the case of Belichick (which I agree with) but then discount all that entirely when it comes to Jackson.  Auerbach built a great team and was able to keep it together, nobody left via free agency. And Auerbach's teams had their share of HOFers, it's not like he was running a crew of albino midgets out there. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]WELL-SAID! imagine if a belichick or ainge never had to worry about free agency or any turnover? samuels ans any guy we may ave wanted to keep would stilll be here. no need for much thinking. phil is just a coach, who cares who built it? now if you asking about gm/coaches you will have to focus ONLY on the bels, reds, paul browns, andy reids and that small sample. most do not get that opportunity, different level. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : We're talking about coaching, not building. If we're factoring in general managing, then it's a different discussion. But this is a thread about coaching. I don't think you can argue, on the one hand, that it's harder to win consistently in the cap era and in a time when there were far more teams in the case of Belichick (which I agree with) but then discount all that entirely when it comes to Jackson.  Auerbach built a great team and was able to keep it together, nobody left via free agency. And Auerbach's teams had their share of HOFers, it's not like he was running a crew of albino midgets out there. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

You think Phil Jackson is a good coach or one that is mentioned in the same breath as the all time greats or the best ever, in Auerbach?

He just sits there.

Either one of use could have allowed Jordan to run a team. Or now, Kobe. 

He's had the easiest platform of any HOF coach, ever. Ever. This isn't even close.

I'd take Popovich or Jerry Sloan over Phil Jackson as far as modern day great coaches.

The reason why I discount it when it comes to Jackson as an NBA comparison, is because the NFL has 53 players on a roster.

The NBA, has what, 12?  The NHL is harder in the cap era than the NBA is. Not even close in my book.

You need 3 All Start caliber players to win an NBA title. 

Meanwhile, you could argue you need all 53, or at least 30-40 legit NFL contributors to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

Phil Jackson has never started from scratch in his entire career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : You think Phil Jackson is a good coach or one that is mentioned in the same breath as the all time greats or the best ever, in Auerbach? He just sits there. ...Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Look, I love Red Auerbach. One of the all time greats. Right there with Lombardi on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches. One of the all time great characters as well. I just don't think you can discount all that Jackson has accomplished just because his teams had some great players. It may be a different skill set than it took back in Auerbach's day, or in even Pat Riley's day for that matter, but the record is the record.

How many titles does Auerbach win without the greatest center in history? Or BB without Brady. Players win games. 

Again, if you want to make the case that Jackson had no hand in building his teams whereas Auerbach was a master team builder, you'll get no argument here. Maybe had Auerbach not retired so relatively young from coaching, he'd have won five more titles and there'd be no argument at all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : FA as we now know it started in 1993; the cap started with teh 1994 season. They are forever tied together at the hip.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Dude do yourself a favor go back and actually READ the article form the link I posted and get your facts straight about when and how FA Started and was first implemented and what problems it caused to make it like it did not even exist.

Go look up about the Rozelle rule that preceded the FA cap and all the nonsense of about unions decertifying and recertifying and the legal battles the players went through to be able to offer there services to other teams other than the one they were playing for.

It started WAY before the 90's! Sure the "current" system came about because of past things but what are you trying to say? That's just logic. Cause and effect.

You were the one saying i was being a cap apologist and I was saying I never mentioned the cap but mentioned past teams being able to hold captive there team together. That had nothing to do with the cap as it did not exist back then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I agree about great players/great coaches and everything being a two way street, etc.

I just feel Phil Jackson was lucky to walk into the Bulls situation.
    When Jordan retired for that year and a half and then immediately brought them into that 95/96 season title playing half the season, that showed me Phil JAckson was incredibly overrated.

The Bulls were pretty much nothing without Jordan in 1993/94 and 1994/95.

And you just know, him taking the Lakers job was more about him and his ego than it was about taking on a new challenge.

How is coaching Kobe and Shaq and all those role players, a new challenge?

Keep in mind, most coaches who win 6 rings (or just win multiple rings) on the back of a player like Jordan, arguably the world's greatest player in any sport, rarely if ever cupcake themselves into a similar setting.

He's so overrated it's not even funny.

I can't think of one coach in the history of sports that specifically chose another destination as lucrative in terms of opportunity and personnel, other than Phil Jackson.

Think about that for a second. Most coaches leave great success to try to build something from the ground up, they don't ride in on the coat tails of an already great team.

The greatest hockey coaches, baseball managers or football coaches, all of whom were HOF coaches, never were hired for an already loaded team.

The only thing remotely close would be Scotty Bowman.  And, he's somewhat overrated too.

St. Louis, Montreal, Buffalo, Pitt, then Detroit?  He's basically the Phil Jackson of the NHL, but he at least started somewhere from the ground up (St. Louis).

Bowman didn't have a ton to work with when he had Buffalo in the 1980s and he won zilch.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nemeses. Show Nemeses's posts

These debates are to subjective. Hell, no one here is going to tell us they agree with the NFL networks top 100 picks. I have been watching football since, oh 1970, and have seen many great coaches come and go. To say any one was the best of all time is purely my opinion.

The Packers dominated the 60's, the Steelers dominated the 70's, Niners the 80's and the Cowboys/Niners the 90's. I know, I know the Cowboys won 3 superbowls thru that time but the Niners were always right there. Over the course of 2 decades the Niners have been the most consistent team ever, 1980-1998/99. Not superbowls just damn good consistently, although they did win 5 over that span.

I THINK for this era, the 2000's era, without a doubt Belichick is the best coach in the game, period. No other coach has put his team in a position to dominate the league this decade the way he has and from the look of things it may continue thru the 2010's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Coach to ever walk onto the gridiron! : Injuries:  Never said no one ever got injured in the old days. but shorter season and fewer playoff games translates to fewer plays and fewer opportunities to get hurt.  Pretty simple concept.  Smaller objects moving with less speed create less violent collisions.  Decline and rebuild:  Go check the Pats under Pete Carroll, it was steady decline in W-L.    It took BB 2 years to get a ring, and he had 3 ring in his first five years with the Pats.  Vince built one winner and they went into a 20 year decline after he left.  He led the Skins to a 7-5-2 record in his only year there.  BB has built a team, and now rebuilt a team without ever having a losing season in his NE career.  Competition:  Vince had to win 3 games in a post season one time 1967.  Three of his titles required winning one playoff game.  It is a lot harder to go through multiple rounds than to win one game.  Vince had to be the best out of twelve teams.  BB has had to be the best out of 32. Both are great coaches, but BB teams had to play longer seasons, win titles through much tougher playoffs, fight for more scarce resources, and operate in a tougher environment (salary cap, free agency).  His achievements under the Pats are more impressive than Lombardi's Packer's.    
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Your take on injuries is humerous, because as there is contact of any kind in any amount, at any level, there is the risk of injury. Geez! We've seen players going down without ever being touched by those mean old "bigger, faster, and much stronger" players! Perhaps the turf is that big old meannie? Fewer games, smaller players, slower players, SMALLER TEAM ROSTERS, less advanced medical procedures/techniques and rehab therapies. Get where I'm going?

Decline: BB took an 8-8 team to a LOSING RECORD in his 1st season with the Pats (5-11 rings a bell). But, that was his 2nd HC job (Hello! Cleveland?) Lombardi took a 15 year doormat and had a winning season his first season out of the gate, in his first HC "gig". They both maintained yearly winning seasons which is tough to do under any circumstances, in any time. That is not an issue. BB won 3 rings in 5 years; Lombardi won 5 in 10 years. (BB's stuck on 3; none in the last 5 seasons.) BB's obviously still on the job. What happened after Lombardi left the Packes is irrelevent. But, if anything, it proves how great a coach he was becasue "his" team lost without him at the helm. (Thanks for making my point for me!)  Lombardi took losers and built a winner, each and every season just as BB has. 

Do you really thing BB would be a successful, regular season, is he had to play every AFC team EVERY year in a 16 game schedule? Then there's the playoffs. "Only played 2 post season games".... give that one much thought? In the 14 game schedule, 4 teams made the playoffs (that's .333 of the league), and there was no Super Bowl, AND no "byes". Let's see BB's success in winning championships without the bye. I see 1 championship, after the 2001 season (Tuck Rule game?). .333 of today's NFL is just over 10 teams. Either 2 teams had to be reduced or two added, making tf 8 or 12, and the "bye" comes into play. They went to 12 for "fan's interest" and the almighty TV dollar; NOT to make it harder for anyone to succeed. Lombardi's team reward for going 12-2? Strapping it up the next week in the playoffs.

What tougher resources are you talking about? All those billions of TV and revenue sharing dollars floating around? Sold out stadiums, with few exceptions? Drafting and being able to sign undrafted FA's, that would have been drafted in rounds 8-17 45 years ago? Salary cap and FA are crutches to weigh "greatness" on. I've been down the road of like to like in previous posts. Each coach had his own set of constraints inposed by the league (ie: read OWNERS) that they had to operate under. BB will not lose a player he truly wants to keep on his team over money any more than Lombardi refused to pay a player more, if it was up to him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

There's a simple solution to this argument.  Ever been to Mount Rushmore?  Those are the "guys", see?  Sure, every time a president leaves office there's discussion about another "deserving" guy.  But, really those 4 guys were great. They're all on equal footing (so to speak) on the monument.

Somebody needs to build the football equivalent of Mount Rushmore.  Whoever builds it has the final say, but it's safe to assume that if you are going to have 4 heads, 2 of them would be Lombardi and BB.