***The Greatest College Football Player That I've Seen In My Lifetime Is...***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***The Greatest College Football Player That I've Seen In My Lifetime Is...***

... Barry Sanders.  Granted I'm only 34, but he was a man among boys at the D1 level... he had that unique make you miss style, but also ran with power and had big play ability... not sure we'll ever see another one like him.

Who's the best college player that you've ever seen?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: ***The Greatest College Football Player That I've Seen In My Lifetime Is...***

Bo Jackson

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: ***The Greatest College Football Player That I've Seen In My Lifetime Is...***

Well I'm a pretty young guy (born in 88) so I only watched college football live starting in the 90's.  Otherwise the easy answers are Barry and Herschel.  Frankly I stlll haven't decided, but I figured this video was worth posting.  I really thought this guy was going to make more of himself in the NFL.  What a freak defensively though.  One of the most gifted athletes at LB that I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GoBoY7DdA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Great question. My answer matches yours, but some runners up as a top 10 in no order:

Doug Flutie - This may be sort of a homer comment, but what a career at BC.  BC had no business being that good in that era, but he was the biggest reason why.

Mike Vick - I think he's dumber than a bag of rocks, but what an athlete.

Bo Jackson - He had an incredible run at Auburn.  He was not only big, but fast. A tackler's nightmare.

Tim Tebow - Say what you want, but like Vick, the guy peaked in college and had a great run at Florida.

Tim Brown - Those late 80s ND teams were really great and he was incredible at WR and as a punt returner.

Desmond Howard - Not a fan of his self promotion, but what an overall career at Michigan.

Brian Bosworth - The guy obviously was a bust, but he was as legit a LB of any to come through the NCAA. 

Herschel Walker - Another bust kind of player in the NFL, but was a premier RB in the NCAA in the 1980s.

George Rogers - Before Jackson and Walker, the SEC had this guy. GREAT career.  I remember this guy barely as a kid along with Marcus Allen.

Marcus Allen - Again, very young for me, but like ROgers, I remember seeing college highlights and then obviously what he did in the pros.

Another player that I loved, but didn't have the same level of production as many others (he was more of an all-purpose type player in a more option oriented offense) was Raghib "Rocket" Ismail... can't tell you how many times I pretended to be him playing back yard football as a kid. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Well I'm a pretty young guy (born in 88) so I only watched college football live starting in the 90's.  Otherwise the easy answers are Barry and Herschel.  Frankly I stlll haven't decided, but I figured this video was worth posting.  I really thought this guy was going to make more of himself in the NFL.  What a freak defensively though.  One of the most gifted athletes at LB that I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GoBoY7DdA

Kid was def a big time talent... he was also a big time RB during his HS days in Penn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Mike Vick.  

VT baby

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Mike Vick.  

VT baby

His NC performance against FSU was epic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Bo Jackson, hands down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

David Ball UNH .....actually seen him play live

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Mike Vick.  

VT baby

His NC performance agianst FSU was epic.

Totally put the team on his back.  Unreal talent.  Too bad Marcus wasn't half of what Mike was to this school.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Barry Sanders; best college or pro player I've ever seen.  At one point he held the NCAA record for most records held, and this after sitting behind Thurman Thomas for his first two seasons.  They had him return kicks as an underclassman and he broke every major kick return record, then came in and broke just about every single season rushing record.  

As a pro I always used to say if Barry ran behind Emmit's offensive line he would rush for 3000 yards in a season... and he would have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

His NC performance against FSU was epic.

They really should have won that game, but a few dumb plays cost them big time.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

too many positons.

but if were talking running backs,

most fun back to watch for me is 

1 earl campbell

2 sweetness walter payton

3 barry

4 bo jackson

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

charles woodson

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

David Ball UNH .....actually seen him play live

no not really I follow Umass, football at its finest

Do you follow UNH football??? My daughter will be attending UNH next year and i wonder if it is worth it to go up for a few games next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

If not the greatest college football players that I've ever seen at least the greatest all-around athlete . . .  Jim Brown  . . . off the charts playing for a very poor team and in his final college game at the Cotton Bowl, he rushed for 132 yards, scored three touchdowns and kicked three extra points.

Beside football he was a star in track, basketball and lacrosse. As a sophomore, he was the second leading scorer for the basketball team (15 ppg), and earned a letter on the track team. His junior year, he averaged 11.3 points in basketball, and was named a second-team All-American in lacrosse (a new sport that he had just taken up) and in his senior he was first-team All-American in lacrosse (43 goals in 10 games to rank second in scoring nationally).

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Jon Vilma. I know he won't make too many lists but he was a great middle line backer on quite possibly the best college football team of all time with the 01 Canes

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

... Barry Sanders.  Granted I'm only 34, but he was a man among boys at the D1 level... he had that unique make you miss style, but also ran with power and had big play ability... not sure we'll ever see another one like him.

Who's the best college player that you've ever seen?

to me it's a tie between Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders...completely above and beyond their college competition

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well I've seen a lot of college football players, though I missed Jim Brown's days at the Cuse, I was able to catch the greatest running back this side of Jimmy Brown: O.J. Simpson was an absolute nightmare in both college at USC and in the AFL/NFL with Buffalo. Gale Sayers was a pretty good RB in his days at Kansas and later on with the Bears. Or if you just want a leader of Men you go with Staubach,he was a star at the Academy and in the hearts of the nation. i could name several players who qualify as the greatest collge players,but like all things where opinions are involved we all have our own favorite players. Too each his own! 50 years of watching College and pro football.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd agree on Sanders.  And as stated by others, if he played on a team where he had a few other weapons around him and an OL he probably could have made a run for 2,500 yards.

Sections
Shortcuts