Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

The Greatest Play Sports Has Ever Seen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: The Greatest Play Sports Has Ever Seen

One play, one moment there could be many in boxing.  That come from behind one punch KO.  I was just a little guy but I clearly remember seeing John Tate, WBA HW Champ, make his first title defense against Mike Weaver.  Weaver was getting beat the entire fight and landed a one punch knockout at 2:15 of the 15th round to win the HW title.  Tate was knocked out cold by 1 punch, losing his title. 

Or how about the solid overhand right from Thomas Hearns to knock out Roberto Duran cold.  Man, so many in boxing.  I could be here all day talking about boxing, lol!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

One play, one moment there could be many in boxing.  That come from behind one punch KO.  I was just a little guy but I clearly remember seeing John Tate, WBA HW Champ, make his first title defense against Mike Weaver.  Weaver was getting beat the entire fight and landed a one punch knockout at 2:15 of the 15th round to win the HW title.  Tate was knocked out cold by 1 punch, losing his title. 

Or how about the solid overhand right from Thomas Hearns to knock out Roberto Duran cold.  Man, so many in boxing.  I could be here all day talking about boxing, lol!

There was also that one punch, 10th round knockout by George Foreman, to win the heavyweight title at age 45, from southpaw Michael Moorer. Moorer was beating the tar out of Foreman for the entire fight...until Big George connected with a straight right, knocking Moorer into the middle of next week: http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-07/sports/25868353_1_oldest-heavyweight-big-george-punch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

To bring it back to the old NFL:

How about Lynn Swann's 53 yard juggler in SB X?

He basically took that game over .... but none of his catches, including the 64 yard TD will be as memorable as this big time 3rd and 6 reception in a close game on the NFL's biggest stage.

Here is an excellent photo, and a video to boot. They've listed it as 5th best, but the ones ahead of it are not in the SB or are much flukier (Franco Harris & David Tyree for instance). 

For grandness of the moment, plus total athletic performance on the play, I'd say this deserves some mention. 

http://youtu.be/EgYhrakucLk?t=2m28s

Certainly hate to bring this up...but I think the Tyree helmut catch in SB 42 was better. There was also "The Catch"...with Joe Montana hitting Dwight Clark in the closing seconds, to win the 1981 NFC title game, in San Francisco. There was also the Santonio Holmes' catch to give the Steelers the win over the Kurt Warner led Cardinals in the SB.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

There was also that one punch, 10th round knockout by George Foreman, to win the heavyweight title at age 45, from southpaw Michael Moorer. Moorer was beating the tar out of Foreman for the entire fight...until Big George connected with a straight right, knocking Moorer into the middle of next week: http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-07/sports/25868353_1_oldest-heavyweight-big-george-punch

Nice one!  I remember watching that one at the time, Moorer had the fight in the bag and chose just to stand right in front of Big George.  Lights out!  What was Moorer thinking?? LOL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Has anyone mentioned Damn Yankees? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A big Patriot-related moment: Brady to Moss in game 16 vs. NYG, 65 yard TD to preserve the unbeaten season and give Brady a record 50 TD passes and Moss a record 23 TD receptions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Kevin Michelle's barehanded catch was a pretty cool play

Sections
Shortcuts