The Gronkowski infection is very serious

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: The Gronkowski infection is very serious

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The Brady infection and the Gronk infection are 2 different things.

If I may.

When my Dad passed in 03 we were stunned at how quickly the infection killed him, or so we thought.

We initially thought that hospital infections were quite rare in today's age. We were shocked to learn it's the exact opposite, infections are on the rise and are very hard to beat down. The Human being has built up immunity to anti-biotics and infections have become immune to today's anti-biotics.

Now, here's where Brady's case differs from Gronk. My Dad's Doctors told us that the infection latches on to man made things in the Human body. The Human body's immune system is then powerless to stop it as the man made item can't be attacked by the Human's immune system.

If that happens...things can go badly very quickly.

My Dad had a pacemaker...man made...that where the infection settled. Antibiotics could not get at it.

Gronk has a plate...man made item....that's why the plate has to come out. The infection has settled on that plate and is causing trouble.

They need to kill the infection before replacing the plate again or it starts all over again. And even then he will need to be watched like a hawk for weeks to make sure the infection does not return.

Hope you folks don't mind the medical stuff but these infections are too well known and understood in my house.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Pension. Drug resistant bacteria are becoming a huge concern in medicine, and even the best doctors and hospitals are struggling to manage the problem.  This could become a huge health challenge down the road.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

RESPONSE: Can't help but think that the Patriots' medical staff is at least partly to blame for this failure to fix Gronk's arm. You would think that, being stationed in the Boston area, that the Pats would have one of the finest medical staffs in the NFL. After all...we're not talking about brain surgery, here. How many people have had screws and plates inserted to repair broken bones...and have had to undergo another surgery because an infection set in? This smacks of incompetence. As I have stated in several previous posts, the team's medical/training staff doesn't appear to be first rate, and needs to be over-hauled.  

I can't help but think drinking and partying to the wee hours is at least partly responsible... far as I know antibiotics and booze don't mix.

Gee Wooz...I didn't know that knocking down a few brews could cause an infection. Thanks for your brilliant medical tip.

LOL!!!!!

Maybe if you stopped laughing long enough you'd learn something.  While the brews would not cause the infection they could certainly prevent its elimination.

Any patient going through a procedure like Gronk's has a personal responsibility  (for his own health and his team) to follow doctor's orders for post-op rehabilitation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

It's ok, as long as we have WELKER, we'll be fine.......oops sorry, that's right the most dependable guy is in Denver now....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Agree that some of the possibilities are not good but the way I read the piece it is not a foregone conclusion that the infection isn't clearing up.  So we're still in a wait and see situation. 

The infection has already compromised the break requiring a 4th surgery so it was out of control. These infections that happen after surgery can be hellacious. In 2003 my Dad developed it after surgery and it killed him before they could stop it. His age worked against him. Now I'm not saying Rob's is that serious but make no mistake about it, it is serious. Many times the damage to the area is never 100%

For Rob's future health I hope it all works out.

Sorry about your Dad, I can see where you'd be incredibly concerned
     based on that in your past

But Rob feels fine and the article stated they have to go in and see if the infection is still there, for all they know it is gone already.

Best case he is ready for camp... middle of the road is that he needs 10 weeks of antibiotics cuz the infection is there, but heals quick and is ready 1-2 games into the season... worst case would be the 6 week PUP

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

The Brady infection and the Gronk infection are 2 different things.

If I may.

When my Dad passed in 03 we were stunned at how quickly the infection killed him, or so we thought.

We initially thought that hospital infections were quite rare in today's age. We were shocked to learn it's the exact opposite, infections are on the rise and are very hard to beat down. The Human being has built up immunity to anti-biotics and infections have become immune to today's anti-biotics.

Now, here's where Brady's case differs from Gronk. My Dad's Doctors told us that the infection latches on to man made things in the Human body. The Human body's immune system is then powerless to stop it as the man made item can't be attacked by the Human's immune system.

If that happens...things can go badly very quickly.

My Dad had a pacemaker...man made...that where the infection settled. Antibiotics could not get at it.

Gronk has a plate...man made item....that's why the plate has to come out. The infection has settled on that plate and is causing trouble.

They need to kill the infection before replacing the plate again or it starts all over again. And even then he will need to be watched like a hawk for weeks to make sure the infection does not return.

Hope you folks don't mind the medical stuff but these infections are too well known and understood in my house.

Sorry to hear about your dad pension.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

The comparison to Jeremy Shockey by prolate scares me but it's a fair point.  Gronk I know is young and having fun but he dosen't strike me as being the brightest bulb on the tree.

You can use good judgement and still have fun in your life. 

He also has to realize that the team has commited a good sum of money to him and that he also has a responsibility to do what's best to honor his part in that commitment.

Now, I'm not saying that the infection is his fault.  His life style may or may not have contributed to it.  We can only speculate. 

Hope he gets better.

As Patseng likes to say,  "injury prone?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

RESPONSE: Can't help but think that the Patriots' medical staff is at least partly to blame for this failure to fix Gronk's arm. You would think that, being stationed in the Boston area, that the Pats would have one of the finest medical staffs in the NFL. After all...we're not talking about brain surgery, here. How many people have had screws and plates inserted to repair broken bones...and have had to undergo another surgery because an infection set in? This smacks of incompetence. As I have stated in several previous posts, the team's medical/training staff doesn't appear to be first rate, and needs to be over-hauled.  

I can't help but think drinking and partying to the wee hours is at least partly responsible... far as I know antibiotics and booze don't mix.

We don't know if he consumed booze during antibiotic treatment. If he did he needs more than surgery for his arm. Is there one that makes you smarter? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sorry 'bout your Dad, Pension

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pension: should have posted this earlier.  Truly sorry about your Dad and what took him.

Interesting discussion.  If I may offer something that I didn't mention earlier simply because I didn't think it relevant.  If this offers another data point, great.  If not, then it doesn't.

I had an injury similar to Gronk's as a consequence of an autombile accident.  Left forearm required insertion of a metal rod (not a plate in my case).  Surgeon cautioned me at two separate visits post surgery that his only concern was the onset of infection which can happen in these cases regardless of precautions taken.  I was fortunate in that I never did develop an infection.  My surgeon was skilled; hardly in Dr. Gill's class but certainly skilled enough.  My point:  I really don't see Gronk's infection to be a consequence of medical negligence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Now we know why Fells has not been let go....insurance against Gronk. Pats committed to 4 TE's and Gronk, Ballard, Hern and Hooma would be the 4 IMO but if Gronk is not ready Fells is the insurance.

Ties up cap space....but better to have the insurance with Fells.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The bright side of this news:

A delay of Gronk's return will force the Pats to engineer a non-Gronk-centric offensive approach that allows them to win. At the very least, it forces TB to make things work with Amendola and the other receivers. Maybe it forces them to use their RBs more and be less predictable too. And maybe, they can learn to be efficient without resorting to no-huddle every game. 

What if they can do all that, while giving time for Gronk to fully heal and get up to speed again, for a return later in the season? Maybe their opponents catch up their new offense by week 13, only for NWE to change it up for the playoffs.

BTW, Gronk's news I think raises the urgency of taking receivers. I did not think of as a big deal until this news.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Life suxs sometimes, my Dad's been gone darn near 10 years but I do thank you all for your kind thoughts. Life has dealt me some nasty painful moments along the way.

Gronk's set back is that the plate must come out. The infection is deeply rooted and they have had zero sucess in beating it back.

Not likely we see him on the field in September.

And a final word to the wise. If you or a family member has surgery, and have a foreign body part to boot, be on the alert for infections as you would be shocked at how common...and how deadly.

Gronks a young kid, I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I tried to view the article but it the article shows that it's private.  Is there a date on the article?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Also infections happen (see Brady's knee) after surgery.  Blaming this on the Pats' medical staff is hilarious.

Yup.  I remember when Brady's knee got infected and the doom and gloomers were saying how his career might be in jeopardy.  These things happen and he has some of the best doctors helping him rehab back to full strength.  I bet he is ready to go by Training Camp.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Terrible new for his recovery and for the Patriots. Wow.

Hope BB has a contigency plan to fill the gap if he can't start the seaosn.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

They need to consider life without Gronk. That means a starting caliber TE who is a strong blocker and solid receiver. Is Ballard good enough? Do we need to draft one?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

As far as the quality of surgeon is concerned the Doc gets off the hook. Patients being treated in an outpatient setting who fail to respond to conventional antibiotics are generally referred to hospitals as are trauma victims (fractures). (By way of oversimplification)

Infections that fail to respond to  conventional antibiotics are termed Resistant. The hospital then becomes the rich respository for most  Resistant bacteria. While it may seem like irony, the hospital can serve as the most dangerous place for patients. The enviroment is flooded with resistant bacteria of all types...from chairs, to tabletops, to beds etc. through a series of cross- contaminations bacteria reside everywhere.

Gronks prior visits to the hospital for his earlier fracture and during his post surgical recovery most likely exposed him to many of these Resistant bacteria.

Nosocomial infections are hospital acquired infections due to previous contamination at previous hospital  visits. Many of these resistant bacteria defy responsive treatment.

In England a new type of resistant bacteria (very recent) has claimed 6 lives because no known antibiotic has proven effective in either slowing or containing the infection.

In Gronks case it may be that the presurgical cleansing of the surgical site was ineffective (despite due dilligence) because resistant bacteria were not killed by the Beta.. disinfectant cleansing.

As already addressed, the surgical plate could either be a source of contamination or could mask the progression of the infection since x-rays cannot penetrate metal to visualize the progress of healing.  As a last resort, 2nd, third, and 4th generation antibiotics may be tried (these are very expensive (pehaps costing $1500-$2500/injection) since only a few bacteria are known to be resistant to them and their use is resticted to the most severe cases.

Much more dire treatments are available...

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with fells being the insurance policy, but he really isn't a dual threat. Same with hooman. Ballard is, but don't know what kind of shape he is in.

if this looks bad for Gronk, I would seriously consider eifert in round 1. We need a receiver, and eifert is a very good receiving TE, plus has really picked up his blocking this year. I would hate to have to use a first for this reason, but it seems the pats offense, especially without Wes, is predicated on 2 inline te's that can catch and block, and line up in different spots. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They also have the great Brad Herman on the roster. Secret weapon?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

These infections can be difficult to stop. Most likely he's on liquid antibiotics (strongest) to get it under control. Needs a 4th surgery to replace plate again. Will not be ready for camp and likely opening day.

This is not good for Rob.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/04/another_rob_gronkowski_setback

football aside- i really hope Gronk fully recovers...infections are never good and the body is so complex some can even be deadly and this one seems to be hanging around

hope they get to the bottom of this soon as possible and kill this thing completely so Gronk is okay

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I agree with fells being the insurance policy, but he really isn't a dual threat. Same with hooman. Ballard is, but don't know what kind of shape he is in.

if this looks bad for Gronk, I would seriously consider eifert in round 1. We need a receiver, and eifert is a very good receiving TE, plus has really picked up his blocking this year. I would hate to have to use a first for this reason, but it seems the pats offense, especially without Wes, is predicated on 2 inline te's that can catch and block, and line up in different spots. 

Eifert may be a good receiver but he is not capable of being an INLINE blocking TE - at least not in the running game. He does nto have the power for it. As a Hern position blocker perhaps yes. Not as traditional TE. If you draft him he will not replace Gronk as total TE. Maybe he works out elsewhere....

Sections
Shortcuts