The Houston Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The Houston Defense

Okay, so to switch things up from these MVP threads, does anyone remember what kind of defense HOU ran in the first game. From the little tidbits I remember from the last matchup and what I've seen from HOU:

1. Joseph will be covering Welker. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, I'll assume Kareem Jackson will be on Lloyd. This is where I see HOU may have a problem.

HOU will probably rush its 3 down lineman, and probably a 4th guy, lets say Barwin. With Gronkowski back, I really doubt that they'll leave Bradie James or Barrett Ruud 1 on 1 against him. You have to figure they'll send Manning down to help cover him. That leaves the other inside linebacker on the rb and Brooks Reed on Hern.

This would leave Quin in Cover 1.

Considering Wade Phillip's history, he'll probably blitz someone else often. I would guess Reed and have Quin go 1 on 1 with Hern.

Just looking at it that way...there is no way Phillips can call the D like that. Am I right? They've already shown they struggle in man coverage.

I'm honestly really interested to see how Wade calls this defense. I'm just going to assume the Pats do a better job on Watt this time because he was getting QB hits on Brady often. If Watt isn't getting pressure, this could be a long day for the Texans.

On another thing, does anybody remember what HOU did after the Pats went up 21-0? I just remember a long stretch where the offense could get nothing going outside of a deep bomb to Stallworth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: The Houston Defense

That long stretch where they couldn't score was called halftime. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

That long stretch where they couldn't score was called halftime. :)

haha. True. But they had three straight three and outs and I remember right before the Stallworth TD, Brady was like 3-11 or something like that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They usually man Lloyd up with their number 1 and try to double Welker with a LB/slot and a safety. If they put Joseph on Welker, they could slow Tom Brady down a ton because Brady probably won't ever look off. 

Luckily, no one on their defense can guard Gronk or Hernadez. Brady seems to have given up on Lloyd and it looks like Branch is the second WR now and he sucks, so we can factor out anyone other than Welker, Gronk and Hernandez. 

The Pats should also do well against the run. J.J. Watt is the only guy they have to worry about, so all runs should be designed to where Watt is not. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Okay, so to switch things up from these MVP threads, does anyone remember what kind of defense HOU ran in the first game. From the little tidbits I remember from the last matchup and what I've seen from HOU:

1. Joseph will be covering Welker. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, I'll assume Kareem Jackson will be on Lloyd. This is where I see HOU may have a problem.

HOU will probably rush its 3 down lineman, and probably a 4th guy, lets say Barwin. With Gronkowski back, I really doubt that they'll leave Bradie James or Barrett Ruud 1 on 1 against him. You have to figure they'll send Manning down to help cover him. That leaves the other inside linebacker on the rb and Brooks Reed on Hern.

This would leave Quin in Cover 1.

Considering Wade Phillip's history, he'll probably blitz someone else often. I would guess Reed and have Quin go 1 on 1 with Hern.

Just looking at it that way...there is no way Phillips can call the D like that. Am I right? They've already shown they struggle in man coverage.

I'm honestly really interested to see how Wade calls this defense. I'm just going to assume the Pats do a better job on Watt this time because he was getting QB hits on Brady often. If Watt isn't getting pressure, this could be a long day for the Texans.

On another thing, does anybody remember what HOU did after the Pats went up 21-0? I just remember a long stretch where the offense could get nothing going outside of a deep bomb to Stallworth.

I Hope Wade Calls Blitz Often, Brady Will Have A Field Day.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why are there so many unsolved murders in Texas?

Because there's no dental records and everyone has the same DNA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

sucks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

They usually man Lloyd up with their number 1 and try to double Welker with a LB/slot and a safety. If they put Joseph on Welker, they could slow Tom Brady down a ton because Brady probably won't ever look off. 

Luckily, no one on their defense can guard Gronk or Hernadez. Brady seems to have given up on Lloyd and it looks like Branch is the second WR now and he sucks, so we can factor out anyone other than Welker, Gronk and Hernandez. 

The Pats should also do well against the run. J.J. Watt is the only guy they have to worry about, so all runs should be designed to where Watt is not. 

You're right. I just watched the highlights and Joseph was on Lloyd when he was in the game. I don't think Brady has given up on Lloyd, he was the biggest target in the SF game. 

If Joseph is on Lloyd, I do think he'll only see 1-3 targets this game. 

Those linebackers can't seem to cover rbs either.

I have trouble seeing HOU doing anything other than zone. They've been burned badly consistently playing man against pass heavy teams. If Barwin doesn't return to his '11 form last year, this game becomes Watt vs the Patriots offense

Sections
Shortcuts