The idea that NE will be ok once everyone is healthy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: The idea that NE will be ok once everyone is healthy

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree, The rookies look like they will be ready by mid season to me. They also look like they will be vastly superior to the receiving corp we've had  for the last few years.

What makes you think they'll be ready by mid-season?

What is it about Injured, Punt Returner, Rookie, Rookie, and Rookie do you think is better than Welker, Lloyd, and Hernandez? (Gronkowski is on both but we'll leave him out as he canceled himself.) 

Please don't ignore these questions.  I really can't wait for the response.

[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall reading somewhere that rookies tend to settle down around mid season and I haven't seen anything from these rookies to contradict that.

Amendola has much better hands than Welker.

Edelman has better hands than AH and is better at open field running.

Both rooks are better than Lloyd at getting separation, getting open down field, getting YAC and probably have better hands too once they get over the rookie yipps! Oh and they can get open DOWN FIELD! And did I mention they can get open down field.

Sudfeld could be a miniGronk which wasn't available to the Pats last year. Also takes some of AH's reps and probably will have better hands than AH.

Do you need more?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Again, please stop showing up running your mouth...we get it...your an internet tough guy,,,now convince us you actually know anything about football please.

Oh god...people like you make me laugh. Read my message history to get an idea.

Maybe when I told people the preseason before his first pro bowl selection the Matthew SLater was the best gunner in football?

Maybe how I predicted the Pats losing, and HOW, to the NYJ in the playoffs?

I noticed Amendola 4 years ago when he opened the season grabbing 33 balls in 5 games, and nobody knew who he was (until catching 12 in one) as he led my fantasy team to a first half lead I wouldn't surrender on my way to making over a grand that year.

Internet tough guy? Am I challenging anyone to a fight? Maybe, internet no-patience guy would be fitting? But, tough guy? Everyone here is still waiting for you to prove even the most marginal understanding of the game, and you point fingers? Oh, the hilarity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

Gronk and Amendola will never be healthy.  They are what they are, a couple talented players whose bodies can't hold up in the NFL. They are the most fragile players in the league. 

50% of their NFL careers are on the PUP, and the other 50% is nursing injuries on the field. 

Depending on either one for anything is completely insane.  I wouldn't be surprised if BB ditched one or both after this season. 

So yeah, our 2013 season rides on the backs of Sudfeld and Dobson.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

It's always a mistake projecting a whole season based upon two games but people do it all the time, especially the jokers at ESPN.  Even Boston Globe writers get into the act but they are all selling viewership, not wisdom.

Getting new receivers makes very little sense.  To make room for the new receivers, you have to cut the rookies whoare on a good learning curve - TBjust needs to be more patient.  Also, as someone else pointed out, if you bring in new receivers, they will have a tough time with NEP's complex playbook.  We've had plenty of examples of that over the last few years.

When Gronk and DA return (as does Vereen later in the year), the effectiveness of the rookie WRs will increase significantly as well.  They will have learned under the tutelage of TB, BB, JM and others, and will have cover from the marquee receivers.

Just enjoy the ride.  We are already 2-0, likely 3-0 after the Bucs matchup this coming Sunday, and with a chance to be 4-2 after six games.  Nothing to cry about.

RS in World Series in 2013, Pats in Super Bowl in 2014!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont subscribe to the "Once Gronk gets back, He is gonna get you meanies and score lots of TDs and Brady will be happy again" Camp

I actually dont expect much from the guy for a couple weeks after he returns. There is one thing to be healthy and another to be in football shape. I am worried about how that arm is gonna hold up after contact. NFL players are unforgiving and will beat on that arm at every chance.

I DO expect the PRESENCE of Gronk to take some pressure of the rookies as the D will surely committ 2 players to him and then the rookies dont have to feel like they need to do it all and maybe our run game looks better.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If the injury bug continues to plague us we won't be OK, that can be said about all 32 football teams, along with 100% of the baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer teams as well as your office kickball team.

As long as they're healthy this team will be much better than OK with a lot more practice and game experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I'm sick of whiny, ignorant fans.

I was pretty happy with the Pats first 2 games...then I go and read a message board, I guess it's my own fault.

Btch and moan, btch and moan.

Obviously every good player should want to play for the Pats, and the league should probably remove salary cap and roster restrictions so the Pats, and Pats alone, can operate at a level that some of these fans EXPECT.

Want better WRs? Tell me who goes? Spikes? Mayo? Hightower? Some OLineman? Wilfork? McCourty? Ridley? Vereen? Oh, no, right...Dobson should just magically be AJ Green or someone.

At some point, the roster gets turned over and you go with YOUNG PLAYERS. Brady showed up with Brown and Glenn, got Branch and Givens, then a bad 06, then got Moss, Welker, Hernandez and Gronk. Seriously? And people are going to fking complain?

It seriously sickens me. I never thought New England fans would turn into such a whiny, entitled, complaining bunch of ignorant clowns.

Turn on your system of choice, modify the rosters as you see fit, and stop polluting the message boards.

Where ya been?  Was looking for you to play fantasy football but you went missing.  Glad to see you back.

I just need to know.. How much influence do you think Josh McD had on BB going with all the young receivers?  How much on letting Welker walk and bringing in Amendola?  We have had several Rams wr walk through the doors and last I checked the Rams were never any good with these players who came here.  Thoughts on that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

If the injury bug continues to plague us we won't be OK, that can be said about all 32 football teams, along with 100% of the baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer teams as well as your office kickball team.

As long as they're healthy this team will be much better than OK with a lot more practice and game experience.

The issue Wozzy is that the guys you need to be healthy haven't shown the ability to stay healthy. What you say is true and injures can happen any time but there is also a difference better a durable player and an oft injured player and the guys we are depending on this point (Amendola, Gronk, Vereen, Talib) are in fact oft injured with no acceptable backups to them at this point. 

Who replaces Gronk? Sudfeld is the answer who himself is an oft injured rookie that we don't know how he will develop

Who replaces Vereen? We don't really have a 3rd down pass catching RB at this point

Who replaces Amendola? Edelman another oft injured player while relying more heavily on unproven rooks in a position that typically takes longer than a year in simple O's to learn

Who replaces Talib? Arrington maybe? Or Ryan an unproven rookie at this point.

The point being is some of the key players we can't afford to lose for any length are also some of the most oft injured for long periods and the only replacements we have for them are unknown question marks in rooks. It was bad planning not to have the proper depth to allow the rooks to develop and to backup the vets with injury issues you are relying on

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Somebody please call Randy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 347pg's comment:

The Moss signal is out...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Do they sell "PINK" Patriots hats?

I'm sensing whoever could sell a few right here...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The issue Wozzy is that the guys you need to be healthy haven't shown the ability to stay healthy. What you say is true and injures can happen any time but there is also a difference better a durable player and an oft injured player and the guys we are depending on this point (Amendola, Gronk, Vereen, Talib) are in fact oft injured with no acceptable backups to them at this point. 

Who replaces Gronk? Sudfeld is the answer who himself is an oft injured rookie that we don't know how he will develop

Who replaces Vereen? We don't really have a 3rd down pass catching RB at this point

Who replaces Amendola? Edelman another oft injured player while relying more heavily on unproven rooks in a position that typically takes longer than a year in simple O's to learn

The point being is some of the key players we can't afford to lose for any length are also some of the most oft injured for long periods and the only replacements we have for them are unknown question marks in rooks. It was bad planning not to have the proper depth to allow the rooks to develop and to backup the vets with injury issues you are relying on

I don't believe in "injury prone," obviously there are some players who burn out because of injuries sustained in college, Ras Dowling comes to mind, but undoubtedly he was one of the best if not the best "big" corner coming out of college.  Big corners have a hard time staying healthy, Richard Sherman has only played 16 games once in his two year career, lets see him sustain it over ten years, unlikely... Ras was still a good pick at that spot.

You can't dismiss a healthy college guy or even a vet just because he hasn't been healthy his entire career, this would likely dismiss 100% of the high impact positions like receivers, defensivebacks and runningbacks along with 90% of the linemen and tightends.  

Prior to coming to New England Wes Welker started three games for the Dolphins, only playing in his last two seasons in Miami and none at all for San Diego, not exactly high impact. Amendola on the other hand started 17 games, played more, caught more balls and returned more kicks.  

Wes's true "skill" beyond the obvious was avoiding hits, something every receiver and runningback should learn, but if he was unlucky enough to play with a QB without Brady's skill set who hung him out to dry and safeties could level him, his career would likely have been over long ago.  

Amendola, Gronk and Edelman need to learn when to intiate contact and when to avoid hits, and even then, they still have to be lucky.  That goes for every highschool, college and pro athlete in the World, but especially football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Name a team in any professional sport that does not do well when everyone is healthy?

When you look across all sports, one of the common themes about why a particular team rose to the top and made it deep into the playoffs, even winning the league championship, is because it was a "healthy" team with all of their core players playing.  This occurred for the Ravens in 2012, the Giants in 2011 and prior.  In the last couple years, what happened to the Pats in the playoffs?  They lost key players going into the playoffs with dramatic impact to the effectiveness of the team.  It is a lucky roll of the dice that a team can withstand key injuries by having a bench that can step up and replace those injured players.  There are only so many real good players to go around.  The Pats, when you think about it, has done better than most NFL teams to withstand injuries to players and keep winning.  A testament to BB and his ability to manage and coach the team.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I don't believe in "injury prone," obviously there are some players who burn out because of injuries sustained in college, Ras Dowling comes to mind, but undoubtedly he was one of the best if not the best "big" corner coming out of college.  Big corners have a hard time staying healthy, Richard Sherman has only played 16 games once in his two year career, lets see him sustain it over ten years, unlikely... Ras was still a good pick at that spot.

You can't dismiss a healthy college guy or even a vet just because he hasn't been healthy his entire career, this would likely dismiss 100% of the high impact positions like receivers, defensivebacks and runningbacks along with 90% of the linemen and tightends.  

Prior to coming to New England Wes Welker started three games for the Dolphins, only playing in his last two seasons in Miami and none at all for San Diego, not exactly high impact. Amendola on the other hand started 17 games, played more, caught more balls and returned more kicks.  

Wes's true "skill" beyond the obvious was avoiding hits, something every receiver and runningback should learn, but if he was unlucky enough to play with a QB without Brady's skill set who hung him out to dry and safeties could level him, his career would likely have been over long ago.  

Amendola, Gronk and Edelman need to learn when to intiate contact and when to avoid hits, and even then, they still have to be lucky.  That goes for every highschool, college and pro athlete in the World, but especially football.

Dude where are you getting your info? You sound like Rusty here. Sherminator has played in every game the last 2 years by my count and he was a 5th round pick so bad comparison. Pete Carrol has always liked Bigger CBs(Tebucky Jones was playing CB under Carroll) and Steve Isreal. These guys all faired well and didnt have injury history that I know of. That was just a bad pick and you are being political as usual. We got an injury prone guy in the 1st that noone would touch and 2 years later, we got 2 games from him and he is gone. Carrol found his guy in the 5th and he hasnt missed a game yet and is considered one of the best in the game. Let him slip up and then rank on him but so far, the kid is legit. I hate his big mouth, but I call it straight. He has a been a steal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Dude where are you getting your info? You sound like Rusty here. Sherminator has played in every game the last 2 years by my count and he was a 5th round pick so bad comparison. Pete Carrol has always liked Bigger CBs(Tebucky Jones was playing CB under Carroll) and Steve Isreal. These guys all faired well and didnt have injury history that I know of. That was just a bad pick and you are being political as usual. We got an injury prone guy in the 1st that noone would touch and 2 years later, we got 2 games from him and he is gone. Carrol found his guy in the 5th and he hasnt missed a game yet and is considered one of the best in the game. Let him slip up and then rank on him but so far, the kid is legit. I hate his big mouth, but I call it straight. He has a been a steal.

[/QUOTE]

That was a mistake, should have said "started."  He started 16 games last season, prior to that he started two games as a rookie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow, you don't believe in injury prone players? Really? So guys that get injured often, more often than odds say should happen aren't injury prone? Well then Ras was a great pick, tremendous pick, excellent decision. Where is he? I'd rather have Sherman who is actually still playing than Ras right now, wouldn't you? This isn't hindsight either as I said when Ras was drafted that he was injury prone and most likely was a bad pick because he wouldn't stay on the field. 2 years later guess what he got cut because he can't stay on the field. Surprise surprise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow, you don't believe in injury prone players? Really? So guys that get injured often, more often than odds say should happen aren't injury prone? Well then Ras was a great pick, tremendous pick, excellent decision. Where is he? I'd rather have Sherman who is actually still playing than Ras right now, wouldn't you? This isn't hindsight either as I said when Ras was drafted that he was injury prone and most likely was a bad pick because he wouldn't stay on the field. 2 years later guess what he got cut because he can't stay on the field. Surprise surprise.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. Not every body is created the same, and some can sustain hits and thus avoid injury better than others. This is just common sense Wozz. How else do you explain a player being continuously injured vs others that aren't when they play the same position and are exposed to the same type of physical demands and hits? Every body is different. 

i will take a player who can stay on the field rather than one with tons of ability who never sees it.

this latest outburst of injuries is a mixed bag. Some players who are injury prone, others who caught a tough break. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You certainly didn't tell us to take Sherman in the 5th round now did you, that would have been helpful, I'm glad you've had 4 years to digest the Ras pick and make your bold prediction come true, I mean after all it's not like the average career of an NFL player is three years... oh wait it is.

Gronk had a bulging disc coming out of college, was he also a bad pick?  What about Vollmer, the best right tackle in the game, he was injured at times also, was he a bad pick, or Talib, he's been hurt in college and the pros, should we have passed on him as well...?

Your abilities to peer into the future are astounding, please offer Belichick your services, we could really use your ability of hindsight on draft day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree with this. Not every body is created the same, and some can sustain hits and thus avoid injury better than others. This is just common sense Wozz. How else do you explain a player being continuously injured vs others that aren't when they play the same position and are exposed to the same type of physical demands and hits? Every body is different. 

I will take a player who can stay on the field rather than one with tons of ability who never sees it.

this latest outburst of injuries is a mixed bag. Some players who are injury prone, others who caught a tough break. 

Be sure to tell us on the next draft day who we should be take, then three years later we'll look back and see how many picks you hit on and who stays healthy.  

BTW they can't just have stayed healthy through college, they also have to be really good, have to be available in later rounds because we win (unlike other teams) and also can't be bad people... see Hernandez.  

Are we starting to see what a crapshoot the draft and free agency is yet?  You have to gamble to get these talented guys, you also don't have the gift of hindsight that many posters here seem to have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I did the following analysis to satisfy my own curiosity but it may be therapeutic to the collective neuroses of part of the Patriots' fandom as well.

The following is the average number of catches and yardage from the 1st 2 career games for arguably the best active receivers in the game, including Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, and AJ Green.

Average number of catches per game: 2.5

Average yards per game: 37

In some of these cases, they were targeted 15-20 times because they were high draft picks.

The following are the same stats for Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. Dobson has played in only 1 game and so his average is for that game alone.

Average number of catches per game: 3

Average yards per game: 48

They were targeted an average of 10 times per game.

Hope this makes you feel better, or at least not inclined to classify these rookies as busts. Some of you may indeed find the dark lining on a silver cloud. But what can one do with that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

That was a mistake, should have said "started."  He started 16 games last season, prior to that he started two games as a rookie.

[/QUOTE]

ok, sorry to jump on you. I appreciate the clarification. Most people seem not to be able to do that.

Its like a million c*ck fights in here this morning but no chickens...if u know what I mean.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

He actually "started" 10 games as a rookie, and saw extended action in 12.  He started out as the dime DB, moved up to nickel CB in game 5 vs. the Giants, and moved into the starting lineup in game 7 vs. the Bengals.  For the point you're trying to make, he had basically a full season's worth of snaps as a rookie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stalkrusty. Show stalkrusty's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

I disagree, The rookies look like they will be ready by mid season to me. They also look like they will be vastly superior to the receiving corp we've had  for the last few years.

What makes you think they'll be ready by mid-season?

What is it about Injured, Punt Returner, Rookie, Rookie, and Rookie do you think is better than Welker, Lloyd, and Hernandez? (Gronkowski is on both but we'll leave him out as he canceled himself.) 

Please don't ignore these questions.  I really can't wait for the response.

RUSTY STALKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stalkrusty. Show stalkrusty's posts

BWAHAHAHAH...I see you NAS...BWAHAHAHAHA,,,

RUSTY STALKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to 347pg's comment:

Why, to tell him to relax a little more when he is on camera?

Sections
Shortcuts