The issue with GRONK is how you use him.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The issue with GRONK is how you use him.

What a joke the Gronk discussion has become. 

Felger and Mazz chatting about what a "problem" this has become for Patriots .  "how much longer can the team put up with this ....? "   Taking longer to come back from a knee injury...?    "Looks like Gronk's Dad is running the show again..."  " Patriots will not pick up his option year ...blah blah..."  "He's too injury prone...blah blah..."

I must admit that I like the Felger and Mazz show since they are both able to laugh at themselves and are genuinely funny at times. 

But really shut the f'k up already.    Gronk got his knee blown out catching a floater running down the seam of the defense with a safety attacking him from the side.   That play is a RECIPE for exposing your million dollar player to injury.   The other time he was injured was a freak play on an extra POint...!  Both situations should have not happened if the coaching staff did not put him into harms way. 

Are you really going to put the future of your team and the health of your star player in the trust of some dim-witted DB not to deliver a dirty hit...?  How stupid is that...?  

Other plays are safer .  the out routes,  the hook routes .  Obviously it is football and it is not predictable, but there is enough bad blood out there (pollard hog-tackle, ward knee-dive),  that you have to design and execute plays that protect your best players.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: The issue with GRONK is how you use him.

The guy plays tightend, he is supposed to be able to run routes in which he gets hit...now we want him running out routes like Terry Glenn? Tight ends run seam routes all the time, it's what they are asked to do. The problem with Gronk is he is so high cut that his legs are huge targets for defenders...the guy is tall...he looks like a muscular giraffe running around out there....there is a lot to hit on the guy. Look at the play where Pollard twisted his ankle into a pretzel, even his damn ankle/calf is three feet long...it was no surprise he got it stuck under someone when being tackled. I worry about Chandler Jones too - the guy is built the same way - every time there is a pile and that guy is near it I worry his lanky legs will be caught underneath it.

When players like this are healthy it's a wonderful thing to watch, but when you watch them get hit you cringe because of how lanky they are. At least I do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Not much you can do if someone tomahawks the side of your knee at full speed....

It wasn't Gronks fault that he was rushed back before his arm was fully healed nor was it his fault that the infection raised heck with his recovery.

He has some mitigating circumstances in several of his cases.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

his role is fine, his play is fine.  We just need him NOT to be injured or get injured during playoff games. In addition, we need another TE who can replace Hernandez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The guy plays tightend, he is supposed to be able to run routes in which he gets hit...now we want him running out routes like Terry Glenn? Tight ends run seam routes all the time, it's what they are asked to do. The problem with Gronk is he is so high cut that his legs are huge targets for defenders...the guy is tall...he looks like a muscular giraffe running around out there....there is a lot to hit on the guy. Look at the play where Pollard twisted his ankle into a pretzel, even his damn ankle/calf is three feet long...it was no surprise he got it stuck under someone when being tackled. I worry about Chandler Jones too - the guy is built the same way - every time there is a pile and that guy is near it I worry his lanky legs will be caught underneath it.

When players like this are healthy it's a wonderful thing to watch, but when you watch them get hit you cringe because of how lanky they are. At least I do.

agree but look at Tony Gonzalez.  He's lanky.  He works the middle but catches most balls facing the QB and he's had a long career.  Gronk and co. Could learn from that guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Not that I am a fan of either Mazz or Felger but it seems to me that Gronk does need to play smarter going forward. Just bull-rushing through defense has not been a successful formula for him, at least not as far as staying healthy and being able to play consistently through a long season. He needs to go to ground quicker, anticipate and prepare for hits, and twist and turn less when tackled.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The whole forearm issue was just beyond freakish.  Some love to argue that he should have never been out there for an extra point play, but to that I have to say, why not?  I mean really, how often does anyone get injured on that play?  Freak accident plain and simple.  Not sure if he was rushed back, or if he just was mentally uncomfortable, but it was clear when he returned he was not ready to have returned.  He cradled that arm like a baby.  And as if he had a curse on him, snap, again...  Only this time to be followed up with multiple surgeries and a massive infection.  AYFKM???  Cursed. 

Finally he makes it back out there, he's getting comfortable again, slowly becoming the old Gronk we know, love, and missed the heck out of.  And what happens?  Someone decides to launch themselves at his knee.  There goes the ACL and MCL, because of a dirty play.  Now his circle is trying to protect him, and he no doubt wakes up in sweats over returning to the field to have some other freak injury or dirty player continue his course on becoming Frankenstein.  Who here wouldn't shudder at the thought of going back out there? 

I can't be mad at him.  It's not just his body we need to give him time to fully repair, but his mind at this point as well.  So anyone who thinks they are going to see Gronk out there being Gronk in the first handful of weeks during the season really just hasn't thought this through.  Thus our need of a TE in the first few rounds of this years draft.  I honestly wouldn't put it past BB to double dip like he did with Gronk and Hernandez. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  He's a super star caliber player who has gotten injured a couple of times, through no fault of his own.  These things happen.  There is no need to change how he is "used".  The man plays at 110% every time he is on the field.  Just let him do his thing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I've always liked having him in on extra points.  He's excellent there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hears a thought. Turn the radio off

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Why would a Bills fan care how the Pats use Gronk?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes... how we use Gronk. I think if we use him in any of the following roles he will stay healthy and available to perform these roles:

1. Holding the clip board for the QBs

2. Water boy

3. Cheerleader

OK.. get him on the field itself.. I get it .. so how bout

4. kicker

5. Punter

6. Long snapper

7. QB when your are going to direct snap to a RB

8. FS on opponent's hail mary plays

Or we could just try and have him play TE and see how that goes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Good to know the boards sarcastic dimwits are still around.  not sure what the point is though....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Why would a Bills fan care how the Pats use Gronk?

I was just wondering the same thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Good to know the boards sarcastic dimwits are still around.  not sure what the point is though....

Yes, well, we need them to offset the intellectuals such as yourself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think the pats are best served with Gronk in the position of Social Chairman.  I'll best his party contact list is a mile long. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I think the pats are best served with Gronk in the position of Social Chairman.  I'll best his party contact list is a mile long. 

Not nearly as long as your drunk, druggie owner. I'll bet he's got 10 or more dealers on speed dial.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Some players have long careers other short. Time will tell on Gronk. Obviously it's all health related because when he is healthy, there is no one like him. I will say if he could stay healthy for his career, he would surpass Gonzalez, Winslow or any TE to ever play. 

I think you just play him and cross your fingers. Having him only run certain routes is silly. Yes, he could be instructed on how to better protect himself, but I don't think you let his injury history dictate how he is used. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

Not nearly as long as your drunk, druggie owner. I'll bet he's got 10 or more dealers on speed dial.

Good point.  I wonder if Gronk has Irsay on his speed dial.  Wouldn't be surprised.  Then again, its not hard for players to get access to pain killers.  They live in pain. 

Sections
Shortcuts