The last Randy Moss APPRECIATION thread!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

The last Randy Moss APPRECIATION thread!

Awright, the deal is done and has been beaten like the proverbial dead horse. I can see the logic behind it, and I truly hope it works out well for the Pats. But since nearly everyone else has started a thread on the subject, I believe a space is warranted for those fans who wish to express gratitude for witnessing one of the most dynamic players ever to wear a Pats uniform. (Please, if you have nothing good to say about Moss, I truly respect your right to your opinion, but kindly state it on one of the thousands of "Moss = Cancer" threads, so that this one can be a tribute to appreciative fans.)

Like so many others, I had tremendous anticipation when the trade bringing Moss from Oakland to NE was announced, mixed in with some trepidation over his previous antics. What followed, of course, was some of the most prolific play in the history of the NFL; I mean, 50 touchdowns in 51 games...by a WIDE RECEIVER??? Insane. Of course, many will say Brady was largely responsible for that success, and I agree. But I invite such people to name one other WR who has caught a touchdown a game during Brady's illustrious tenure. Randy Moss, with or without #12, was special.

Still, he had his critics, both before the trade that brought him here, and after the trade that sent him to Minny. And what did these brilliant critics say about the "mercurial" one? Glad you asked.

His critics said Moss was only about the cash.
    Yet Moss took a bargain basement contract to come to NE in 2007, and when he resigned a 3-year deal in '08, he left millions on the table from what he had been offered elsewhere.

His critics said Moss wasn't reliable or durable.
    But in the three plus years he has been here, Moss has shown up for all OTAs and training camp, and has not held out, like so many others, when he wanted a new contract this year. Instead, he made a statement by coming to camp in, reportedly, the best shape of his life. Randy Moss has never missed a game in his Pats' tenure,  despite serious shoulder and back injuries last year, the kind of injuries that put most sissy WR's on the injury list.

His critics say NE did not win a Super Bowl with Moss
    Did these people even watch Super Bowl 42? If they had, they would know that Randy Moss was not the problem; Moss caught 5 passes, including the go-ahead TD with less than 2 minutes to play. No, the Pats OL being manhandled by the Giants' DL was the problem--along with a certain Mr. Hobbs and his D that failed to stop the Giants on their last 2 touchdown drives. As far as the '08 and '09 seasons...

...His critics say Moss' production has decreased

Jesus, really? With Matt Cassel throwing the ball in '08? With Tom Brady returning from an ACL in '09? With freaking Bill O'Brien as the de facto OC the last couple of years? Did anyone seriously expect a deep threat receiver's production to increase under these conditions???

His critics say Moss has lost a step.
    I would love to watch these critics try to outrun him, LOL, since few in the NFL can. Some of his teammates said he looked faster this year. Whether true or not, his slow step is faster than most WR's fast step.

His critics say Moss dogs it and takes plays off.

And yet year after year, Moss leads the skill positions (other than Brady) for percentage of snaps on the field...despite the fact that he is consistently running deep during the game. Let Welker run 50-yard patterns at full speed a few series in a row, and I guarantee you he'll be a taking a breather here and there, too.

His critics say NE needs to get back to "smash-mouth" football to win.
    Did these people watch the '09 New Orleans Saints, one of the most entertaining football teams in years, sling the football around like they were in a video game, on the way to a Super Bowl Championship? Yes, the Pats defense needed to get more physical and aggressive, and hopefully, with the likes of Chung and Spikes, they are on their way. And maybe the return of the dink-and-dunk will be as successful as it was in '01...but that doesn't mean it's the only way to win on offense.

His critics say Randy Moss is not a team player
    From '07 to '09, that statement would have been hogwash, but even a Moss fan, like myself, has to admit it has merit this year. But it stems from not simply wanting a new contract, but his feeling (which I concur with) that his performance deserved a new contract. The problem is, BB did not have Moss in his future plans because...

His critics say Randy Moss is not a role player
    Which is 100% true. BB likes the idea of a team whose attitude is "53 role players and no stars." I appreciate his perspective, and the success it has brought to NE. But Randy Moss has never been a role player; he has been a difference maker...like Peyton Manning, like Troy Polamalu, like Ed Reed...like a precious few, gifted players whose extraordinary skills can completely change the way the opposition must prepare for a game. Being a difference maker is in Randy Moss's DNA; if you take that out, he is no longer Randy Moss. And that, my friends, is why this trade was made--because BB no longer sees Moss as a difference maker, while Moss still sees himself that way.

So, yes, the trade makes sense, but it's a shame that Moss must be villified as a cancer, rather than being lauded a freakishly gifted and competitive athlete who desires to be a prime contributer--not an afterthought--to winning games. The bottom line is that the Pats future plans and Moss' future plans don't jibe, so Moss and BB came to a mutual understanding that they needed to move on. They both have handled that realization as mature men; unlike the Globe reporters and those who feel the need to bash Moss.

I, for one, will never forget watching one of the most amazing athletes I have ever seen perform his heroics for the hometown team. There are too many plays to recount in which his gifts completely took my breath away. Perhaps we will be more successful with Edelman, Gronkowski et al--I hope we are--but it won't be nearly as much fun to watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: The last Randy Moss APPRECIATION thread!

Ok I did appreciate what Moss did for us while he was here but I think you might be stretching a couple of things in those critic pieces you posted

His critics said Moss was only about the cash.
    Well no one wanted Moss at the time so he had to take a bargain deal in order to try to rebuild his reputation. His next contract that was signed made him one of the top 3 paid wr's at the time if not the top so if he left money on the table he still made tons of cash.

His critics said Moss wasn't reliable or durable.
    He was very durable and played in most games but he decided what games he wanted to play which I wouldn't call reliable in the end. Hence maybe the reason he was traded after the Phins and Jets game

His critics say NE did not win a Super Bowl with Moss.
    Yes you are right the OLine couldn't hold the Giants D but at the same time if they switched to screens and dink and dunk plays instead of trying for multiple long balls that might have helped the issue. Now that said how much of it was Moss actually asking for the ball on the sidelines I don't know but I'd say 5% of the SB lose goes to Moss asking for the deep ball. Of course the majority goes to the line for not holding, then McDaniels for not changing the O game plan in time, then the D for not holding the lead, then Brady for counting to throw long, then maybe Moss for asking for the ball so much. But the point with critics is indeed true none the less the Pats haven't won a SB with Moss

His critics say Randy Moss is not a team player
    This goes back to which games he wanted to play. 07' and 08' he was as much a team player as anyone but there were a number of games last year where you could tell he was mad at not getting the ball and at least 2 of 4 this year he was angry about it too. Did he deserve a new contract, well that's up for debate. My feeling is when you are in the top 10% of your position in pay then you have no right to complain about your contract. I mean he's not like a rookie or a FA that was picked up and drastically outperformed their contract. Then again I understand he's in a contract year and if they are moving to more of a control offense his numbers are going to take a hit esp when next year is up for grabs whether there will be a season or not. But, coming out making comments about the owner not paying and saying you won't be a Pat next year is not the best way to negotiate an extension.

His critics say Randy Moss is not a role player.
    Well can't argue with you on this one. I think what you said is perfectly correct

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: The last Randy Moss APPRECIATION thread!:
    [QUOTE]Ok I did appreciate what Moss did for us while he was here but I think you might be stretching a couple of things in those critic pieces you posted His critics said Moss was only about the cash. Well no one wanted Moss at the time so he had to take a bargain deal in order to try to rebuild his reputation. His next contract that was signed made him one of the top 3 paid wr's at the time if not the top so if he left money on the table he still made tons of cash. His critics said Moss wasn't reliable or durable . He was very durable and played in most games but he decided what games he wanted to play which I wouldn't call reliable in the end. Hence maybe the reason he was traded after the Phins and Jets game His critics say NE did not win a Super Bowl with Moss . Yes you are right the OLine couldn't hold the Giants D but at the same time if they switched to screens and dink and dunk plays instead of trying for multiple long balls that might have helped the issue. Now that said how much of it was Moss actually asking for the ball on the sidelines I don't know but I'd say 5% of the SB lose goes to Moss asking for the deep ball. Of course the majority goes to the line for not holding, then McDaniels for not changing the O game plan in time, then the D for not holding the lead, then Brady for counting to throw long, then maybe Moss for asking for the ball so much. But the point with critics is indeed true none the less the Pats haven't won a SB with Moss His critics say Randy Moss is not a team player . This goes back to which games he wanted to play. 07' and 08' he was as much a team player as anyone but there were a number of games last year where you could tell he was mad at not getting the ball and at least 2 of 4 this year he was angry about it too. Did he deserve a new contract, well that's up for debate. My feeling is when you are in the top 10% of your position in pay then you have no right to complain about your contract. I mean he's not like a rookie or a FA that was picked up and drastically outperformed their contract. Then again I understand he's in a contract year and if they are moving to more of a control offense his numbers are going to take a hit esp when next year is up for grabs whether there will be a season or not. But, coming out making comments about the owner not paying and saying you won't be a Pat next year is not the best way to negotiate an extension. His critics say Randy Moss is not a role player . Well can't argue with you on this one. I think what you said is perfectly correct
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your comments, patseng.  Don't see eye-to-eye with all of them, but they are well thought out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm going to miss him, but I love the Pats team. The players are exchangeable. 

I hope he has a great career, but he can suk it on Halloween. =D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yeah, it was great to have him, and he will be missed. but i've grown use to the fact that in the BB does what's best for the Patriots, the only guy not expendable or tradeable will be TB, who delivered 3 SB trophies. it will be a sad day when he rides off into the sunset,

and it will be worse then Elway, becuase BB will have a hard time finding the next TB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]BB will have a hard time finding the next TB
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]
    he never found Brady. Brady is the product of himself, he plays with a chip on his shoulder for being drafted so low and still strives for perfection because of it. Brady is a once in a generation QB, we would be lucky to have a guy land in our lap like him. (please don't give me the whole, we drafted him so we must have thought he would be good)

BB will draft a top level QB when Brady has only a few years left, he will then be groomed like Rodgers. Hopefully it will work out like it did in Green Bay. That's my two cents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chromatic8. Show chromatic8's posts

I'd say that if there was any surprise associated with Moss's time in NE, it's that he was better for us than people expected - lots of amazing play with not nearly the amount of negative drama we were promised. Given that, I see no need to criticize him on his way out - he is a better Randy Moss than the one we thought we were getting and we (or at least BB) no longer see ourselves as a team that needs a guy like him - we're back to looking for consistent good production rather than miracle plays.  So good luck to him and good luck to us. I think the Vikings owe us - they're getting a much more  mature player who will fit into their collection of superstars model.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

He was appreciated for his first season.  After that, he was pretty much what the people from Oakland described.  FYI: I was working in the Bay Area at the time the trade went down; heard lots of verbiage on topic.

How 'bout those draft picks?!  Yeah, some more big bodies and athletes are on the way; the rest are improving and getting ready to challenge.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]He was appreciated for his first season.  After that, he was pretty much what the people from Oakland described.  FYI: I was working in the Bay Area at the time the trade went down; heard lots of verbiage on topic. How 'bout those draft picks?!  Yeah, some more big bodies and athletes are on the way; the rest are improving and getting ready to challenge.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

Gee, his 2nd season, he caught 69 passes for 1,008 yards and 11 touchdowns  with a long of 76 (under Matt Freaking Cassel), while his third season he nabbed 83 for 1,264 yards and 13 touchdowns with a long of 71.

And, yet, he was not appreciated for these?

Therein lies the problem, dude...and it's not with Randy Moss.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The last Randy Moss APPRECIATION thread! : Yes and no.  It was BB that recognized something special in TB and let him keep the job when Bledsoe was ready to return.  That was a ballsy and franchise defining decision, period.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Not only that but when Brady got hurt Bledsoe came in and won a game then BB started Brady again. A lot of people were screaming over it. But hey don't you know BB is an evil idiot and should be fired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

No one appreciates Randy Moss less than I do.  He f*cked his team in the middle of the season.  If he's still breathing after the Halloween matchup I'll be p*ssed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]No one appreciates Randy Moss less than I do.  He f*cked his team in the middle of the season.  If he's still breathing after the Halloween matchup I'll be p*ssed.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

WRONG!  I appreciate him WAY WAY WAY less than you do!