The Latest on Haynesworth...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The Latest on Haynesworth...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/witness-in-haynesworth-sexual-abuse-case-offered-50000-to-testify-against-former-redskin-attorney-asserts/2011/08/16/gIQAJqkDJJ_blog.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: The Latest on Haynesworth...

In this media microscope of life... I guess I should be happy I am an ant in a big world.  I don't think I could handle the BS life of a rich famous person. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to Re: The Latest on Haynesworth...:
    [QUOTE]In this media microscope of life... I guess I should be happy I am an ant in a big world.  I don't think I could handle the BS life of a rich famous person. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]
    ===================================================
      You might be able to if you were a decent human being. The ones that you mostly hear about are the lowlife walking piles dog crap like Haynesworthless.
      (I pray the this vile waste of human flesh does`nt make the team)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In a worst case scenario, if Haynesworth is found guilty - I'm wondering what kind of action Goodell will take against Haynesworth; if any.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Haxker. Show Haxker's posts

[QUOTE]In a worst case scenario, if Haynesworth is found guilty - I'm wondering what kind of action Goodell will take against Haynesworth; if any.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

If he is working hard and helping the Pats then I would expect Goodell would suspend/ban him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Latest on Haynesworth... : If he is working hard and helping the Pats then I would expect Goodell would suspend/ban him.
    Posted by Haxker[/QUOTE]
    I guess that one of the advantages of Haynesworth not being on the practice field much (apart from rehabbing the knee and getting him ready for the regular season) is that he won't have to talk to reporters as much - damage control from a pr perspective.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Did you read the article?  Not as bad as I had assumed.  Very inappropriate, yes.  But the guy asked the waitress if he could put his credit card in her blouse.  She said, "yes."  That's dumb.  That Haynesworth took it too far is dumb as well.  Dumb.  But next to what Roethlisberger did, or, say, driving when drunk . . . . Give the guy a slap on the wrist.  And send him (and about 20% of coddled professional athletes) to "appropriate behavior" school.  Also, that the prosecution paid a witness $50,000 to testify for the waitress?  Yah, I wouldn't invite Albert to my party.  But a bit of perspective is called for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Did you read the article?  Not as bad as I had assumed.  Very inappropriate, yes.  But the guy asked the waitress if he could put his credit card in her blouse.  She said, "yes."  That's dumb.  That Haynesworth took it too far is dumb as well.  Dumb.  But next to what Roethlisberger did, or, say, driving when drunk . . . . Give the guy a slap on the wrist.  And send him (and about 20% of coddled professional athletes) to "appropriate behavior" school.  Also, that the prosecution paid a witness $50,000 to testify for the waitress?  Yah, I wouldn't invite Albert to my party.  But a bit of perspective is called for.
    Posted by BelichickforPresident[/QUOTE]
    Hate to say it, but you're right. I was in a local restaurant in Smithfield Rhode Island when the pats used to have camp down there, and you should of heard the way some players (high profile) treated the wait staff.

Was it innapropriate/dumb? Yep. Did he get into a knife fight or kill dogs? Nope. The fact is a lot of players on any nfl team are people you wouldn't want to associate with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Did you read the article?  Not as bad as I had assumed.  Very inappropriate, yes.  But the guy asked the waitress if he could put his credit card in her blouse.  She said, "yes."  That's dumb.  That Haynesworth took it too far is dumb as well.  Dumb.  But next to what Roethlisberger did, or, say, driving when drunk . . . . Give the guy a slap on the wrist.  And send him (and about 20% of coddled professional athletes) to "appropriate behavior" school.  Also, that the prosecution paid a witness $50,000 to testify for the waitress?  Yah, I wouldn't invite Albert to my party.  But a bit of perspective is called for.
    Posted by BelichickforPresident[/QUOTE]

sure did. it will be interesting to see how the witness being offered money to testify against haynesworth will play out in the court. Prosecuters have stated they will rebut by saying Haynesworth's lawyers offered a "bribe" to the "victim" for dropping the case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Bubba.. did you read the article?  Again it is asked because in one of them that I read it said that the Prosecutors are attempting to get the court to prevent the fact that they were paying witnesses to be divulged in court. However they were also fighting vehemently to allow the fact that Hanyesworth may have attempted to pay the accuser to drop her case.

Now from my view: "IF" all that Haynesworth did was put a credit card in her blouse (which she allowed) and then got a little fresh with her.....  WELL I am not sure that making him pay restitution is not the right thing to do anyway.  Hell I am not sure she deserves it if SHE ALLOWED HIM to put the card inher blouse.  There must be much more that we are not hearing.

However I am sure that the story about Big Ben (Pitt) said from several people that he went into the Ladies room following a young woman... then his body guards would not let anyone else into that space ( The girl's friend) for a period of time.  BEN got 6 games (Because it was a REPEAT offense).  That penalty was later reduced to 4 games when Ben said he would Marry any woman of Goodell's choice.  SO I am not sure how Haynesworth's indiscretion measures up to that one.

In MY eyes.. although I do not want the athlete to get special treatment....  IF she felt that after her saying "YES" she really meant no and tried to let himknow that.... Restitution is the best thing.  WHy must they go to court and declare the guy a "Sexual criminal" of some type for that silliness?  AGAIN; I admit there must be more to the story than we have heard.

HOWEVER, why does the prosecution NOT want the Jury to know they attempted to pay off a witness... but demands that the jury know that Haynesworth tried to just give the lady money to asuage her feelings against him......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Bubba.. did you read the article?  Again it is asked because in one of them that I read it said that the Prosecutors are attempting to get the court to prevent the fact that they were paying witnesses to be divulged in court. However they were also fighting vehemently to allow the fact that Hanyesworth may have attempted to pay the accuser to drop her case. Now from my view: "IF" all that Haynesworth did was put a credit card in her blouse (which she allowed) and then got a little fresh with her.....  WELL I am not sure that making him pay restitution is not the right thing to do anyway.  Hell I am not sure she deserves it if SHE ALLOWED HIM to put the card inher blouse.  There must be much more that we are not hearing. However I am sure that the story about Big Ben (Pitt) said from several people that he went into the Ladies room following a young woman... then his body guards would not let anyone else into that space ( The girl's friend) for a period of time.  BEN got 6 games (Because it was a REPEAT offense).  That penalty was later reduced to 4 games when Ben said he would Marry any woman of Goodell's choice.  SO I am not sure how Haynesworth's indiscretion measures up to that one. In MY eyes.. although I do not want the athlete to get special treatment....  IF she felt that after her saying "YES" she really meant no and tried to let himknow that.... Restitution is the best thing.  WHy must they go to court and declare the guy a "Sexual criminal" of some type for that silliness?  AGAIN; I admit there must be more to the story than we have heard. HOWEVER, why does the prosecution NOT want the Jury to know they attempted to pay off a witness... but demands that the jury know that Haynesworth tried to just give the lady money to asuage her feelings against him..... .
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's clear who was trying to pay the witness:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/haynesworth-lawyer-witness-offered-50000-by-accuser-in-exchange-for-testimony-against-him/2011/08/16/gIQA41rVJJ_story.html

Any lawyers in the house who want to elaborate on why Haynesworth's people would want to settle out of court and how that would affect prosecutions case?

In addition, if it's verified in court that the witness was offered money to testify against Haynesworth - what are ramifications to case?

IMHO, Prosecution doesn't want the offer to pay the witness to be accepted in court because it obviously weakens their case.  Prosecutors doen't want to go to trial knowing they'll lose - especially for high pofile cases. On the other hand, I don't think it's unusual for high profile defendants to settle out of court - but I thought that was for civil cases....not criminal cases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Whats wrong with Haynesworth offering her money? Out of court settlement anyone? But bribing a witness thats a different story. I believe thats a felony. Next time you get a speeding ticket offer the cop a 50,  thats one thousandth of what the cops offered the witness. 

When Haynesworth face raked that guy I personally thought he should be thrown out of football right then and there. But the courts are the same rules for everyone. the prosecutor that initiated the bribe should go to jail.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

This is a criminal prosecution; Hayneworth and his attorneys can't "settle" the criminal case, this is up to the prosecution (possibly subject to court approval).  Any settlement would be of a civil claim. 

If in fact someone on behalf of the alleged victim offered to pay a potential prosecution witness, the inference the criminal defense team would want the judge or jury to draw is that the victim/waitress's real agenda here is get money out of Haynesworth in a civil suit, that she's not really a "victim" of a criminal act,  that she wants her story embellished to make sure she wins. If a lawyer encourages a witness to lie under oath, he's also risking his ticket.

The other key point here is that if Haynesworth is convicted of  sexually assaulting the waitress, then the fact that he committed that crime has also been established for the purposes of a civil suit.

If Haynesworth settles the civil claim, it doesn't end the criminal case.  The prosecution can still proceed with the criminal case and (if they have to) force the waitress to testify.  However, if she's happy with the civil settlement and isn't really interested in pursuing the criminal case any further, this may effect the extent to which she continues to cooperate (or not) with the prosecutors and the way that she testifies in the criminal case.  There are different ways that an alleged victim can tell "the truth," which can be more or less damning to a criminal defendant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

[QUOTE]This is a criminal prosecution; Hayneworth and his attorneys can't "settle" the criminal case, this is up to the prosecution (possibly subject to court approval).  Any settlement would be of a civil claim. ....Posted by Norger[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for that clarification.  Man, sometimes the law is soooo complicated.  Leads to many questions, such as, When is it pragmatic to just offerrecompense to the wronged party -- in a legal fashion; when is it unethical (both illegal and/or "wrong")?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I thought this was still a civil case. Agree with everything you said. I think it would make the bribing a witness in a criminal case a lot more weighty. I'd like to see the damages shes claiming.

I guess its a stick your hand in my pants and implied not too touch. fishing with barbless hooks. Hunting with a camera. Just goes to show ya... Life's rules just arnt fair to someone every time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Michael Jackson paid the little Boy he raped a lot of money, in returned the raped boy dropped the charges or refused to cooperate, I don't remember exactly.  End of story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I thought this was still a civil case. Agree with everything you said. I think it would make the bribing a witness in a criminal case a lot more weighty. I'd like to see the damages shes claiming. I guess its a stick your hand in my pants and implied not too touch. fishing with barbless hooks. Hunting with a camera. Just goes to show ya... Life's rules just arnt fair to someone every time.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

That's why I asked those with legal backgrounds to chime in.

Since the trial is coming up on Tuesday, it'll be interesting to hear the outcome and see if Goodell is going to fine or suspend Haynesworth. I figure, at least a fine - hopefully, no more than a game or two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

If Haynesworth gets convicted you can be sure Goodell is going to suspend him for 12 games, he'll have to pay a 250k fine and the Pats will get docked 2 draft picks just because they signed him.

[QUOTE]In a worst case scenario, if Haynesworth is found guilty - I'm wondering what kind of action Goodell will take against Haynesworth; if any.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]If Haynesworth gets convicted you can be sure Goodell is going to suspend him for 12 games, he'll have to pay a 250k fine and the Pats will get docked 2 draft picks just because they signed him. In Response to Re: The Latest on Haynesworth... :
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]

that would be brutal...I don't like that thought..shhhhhh

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Latest on Haynesworth... : That's why I asked those with legal backgrounds to chime in. Since the trial is coming up on Tuesday, it'll be interesting to hear the outcome and see if Goodell is going to fine or suspend Haynesworth. I figure, at least a fine - hopefully, no more than a game or two.

Haynesworth would be advised to try and settle out of court to avoid all of THIS...articles, message board chatter, general talking about how much of a s c u m b a g Haynesworth is. It's the sad, disgusting truth about the court of public opinion...many celebrities have paid off lying scum because once the story gets out, true or not, many people will run with it. We all witnessed this with spygate, there are STILL fans out there who will reference the Pats taping the Rams walkthrough.