The Magic Carpet ride is over

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The Magic Carpet ride is over

10-3.  Wow, what a ride.  We were doing it ugly more often than not, but we were doing it, and as Parcells would say, a W is a W.  It certainly felt like their might be some magic in the air there for a little while. 

I think we can all agree what Gronk means to this offense.  He's second only to Brady as far as being a critical component that makes this O tick.  The games we played without him this year, our D was getting it done.  It's sustained too many injuries this year though, and with the return of Gronk we could once again rely on our O to keep us in games or come back from behind.  The numbers compared to Gronk being there to not are jaw dropping. 

All we can do at this point is hope that he can come back to his old form at some point in the future.  But that future being later this year is extremely unlikely.  At this point I'm guessing we'll limp into the playoffs, but I hold little hope of making it to the SB.  What a shame. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: The Magic Carpet ride is over

It isn't over til it's over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

The 2010 GB Packers say hi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

im afaid you're right agill, more exciting wins as we've seen in years but I expect we'll look back on this season as a classic "what might have been" years. Gutsy team though!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Let's roll BOOM!!

It's not all bad we still have 12 he's ok at football i guess

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I suppose you stopped watching the game after the Browns last score... No? Well then why give up on a year where we are in the hunt and even have a shot at the #1 seed?

You want the Lombardi handed to you?

Ok.. listen. I get that Gronk is the most important player after TB. I get that this team has been a different and much more dynamic team with Gronk. I agree with that. I get that. But we have a lot of talented guys on O. Some fo them are very young but they could rise to the ocassion. ANd the three rookies have had time.. had games to develop. This O is much better now than it was in the first 6 or 7 games this year.

We have Vereen. We will need Ridley (yes Ridley wil have to NOT fumble). We have Blount who makes some plays. We have Julian. He iwll have to come up big and not drop big plays. We have Amendola. He will have to step up. Hopefully Dobson, Thomkins and maybe even Boyce can up their game. They DO have talent and are showing they are better than opening day.

I think the biggest factor, the biggest help wil have to come from the O line. And that is cetainly not bankable. But still they have a shot.

We have to win out for #1 seed. Possible though I expect Miami is not going to make that game easy. But consider. If Denver can lose one game (they may not) and we can get #1 seed then .... THEN WE COULD PLAY MANNING HERE IN JANUBRRRRRRRRRRY. Manning on the road, in Foxboro, in the cold.... We would have a shot. AND YOU WOULD WANT TO TAKE THAT SHOT....

No. It is Stupid to give up here. You dont get it handed to you. You earn it. Are we underdogs? Yes. But we got some players.... This team CAN do it. And if any coach can do it or any QB can do it it would be BB and TB.

This is worth staying to see. Just like when Denver was ahead 24-0. Just like the Houston game. Just like today when we had 2:39 to score TWO touchdowns.

I didnt leave. Did you?

Grow some balls man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Been ugly all year. Not over until it's over. I'm not minimizing the loss of Gronk. It's bad. But the O when they do get their azzes in gear- delivers. With or  without Gronk. Vereen many be the anti Gronk in size and position but he is a play maker. !50 yards today. I expect Dobson and Thompkins will return soon. Edeleman, Collie, and Amendola add depth. RB commitee looks strong. Not a TE offense now. And oh yeah, how bout our QB- TB?  Not too shabby.

More concerned about the D in all phases of the game. And the OL. Pats are contenders for a heart stopping play off run.  They could go all  the  way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Well, anything can happen.  We still have Brady and BB, but we've had them every year since 2005 as well and while they given us an abudance to cheer over and feel good about, they haven't brought home any jewelry in a long time. 

I'd love to be wrong.  Please let me be wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I suppose you stopped watching the game after the Browns last score... No? Well then why give up on a year where we are in the hunt and even have a shot at the #1 seed?

Ok.. listen. I get that Gronk is the most important player after TB. I get that this team has been a different and much more dynamic team with Gronk. I agree with that. I get that. But we have a lot of talented guys on O. Some fo them are very young but they could rise to the ocassion. ANd the three rookies have had time.. had games to develop. This O is much better now than it was in the first 6 or 7 games this year.

We have Vereen. We will need Ridley (yes Ridley wil have to NOT fumble). We have Blount who makes some plays. We have Julian. He iwll have to come up big and not drop big plays. We have Amendola. He will have to step up. Hopefully Dobson, Thomkins and maybe even Boyce can up their game. They DO have talent and are showing they are better than opening day.

I think the biggest factor, the biggest help wil have to come from the O line. And that is cetainly not bankable. But still they have a shot.

We have to win out for #1 seed. Possible though I expect Miami is not going to make that game easy. But consider. If Denver can lose one game (they may not) and we can get #1 seed then .... THEN WE COULD PLAY MANNING HERE IN JANUBRRRRRRRRRRY. Manning on the road, in Foxboro, in the cold.... We would have a shot. AND YOU WOULD WANT TO TAKE THAT SHOT....

No. It is Stupid to give up here. You dont get it handed to you. You earn it. Are we underdogs? Yes. But we got some players.... This team CAN do it. And if any coach can do it or any QB can do it it would be BB and TB.

This is worth staying to see. Just like when Denver was ahead 24-0. Just like the Houston game. Just like today when we had 2:39 to score TWO touchdowns.

I didnt leave. Did you?

Grow some balls man.

Man I positively love what you're preaching and smoking.  Sure, I'll take a hit.  Pass it over here to your left.  I may have fallen off the flying carpet, but fear not I'm still on the bandwagon. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Down to the last two straws on this team in Talib and Brady.  If one of those two go down, the fat lady sings... till then, we still have a chance.  Without Gronk to start the year we had a full lot of WRs who were not on the same page as Brady.  We also have Vareen back.  The offense will be better than it was to start the year without Gronk.

We will certainly need a lot of luck, but after watching the Sox come back and win 11 games last season in the 9th inning and then a championship, I am more reluctant to just call it a season with the Pats.  They have that little bit of magic that every championship team needs to create for itself.  The amount of injuries is huge, but we still have the two T's... Tom and Talib for now.

This is the first game that Talib got eaten up by a reciever this year, but against the teams we might face he showed that he can shut down the other team's #1.  Tom proves time and again that you can never count him out unless a freak weather pattern keeps him from holding the ball. 

I also like our running game this year with the different looks.  We have holes and I keep saying that we can be beat on any given Sunday... but so do the other teams in the league. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

And by the way.. remember when Brady took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe? Most were not even thinking SB at all. And as they got closer we were underdogs. ANd in the SB we were suppose to be a dance floor for the Rams O. But we won. It wasnt handed to us. ANd it was sweet in part because we had to come up and play big. That is what champions do. This team has to learn to play big game football for 60 minutes. But this is a team that can do it. 

Underdogs yes. Losers? Only those who walked out of the Denver game, or the Houston game, or todays game. Maybe you. Not the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

agill....   we can spout all sorts of reasons for thinking the Pats may not do well without Gronk, but, Gronk is but ONE player!  There are 50 + other players on that team all focused to win every game they play and do it until a loss in the playoffs says they are REALLY done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

And by the way.. remember when Brady took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe? Most were not even thinking SB at all. And as they got closer we were underdogs. ANd in the SB we were suppose to be a dance floor for the Rams O. But we won. It wasnt handed to us. ANd it was sweet in part because we had to come up and play big. That is what champions do. This team has to learn to play big game football for 60 minutes. But this is a team that can do it. 

Underdogs yes. Losers? Only those who walked out of the Denver game, or the Houston game, or todays game. Maybe you. Not the Pats.

+1   This  ^^^

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I didnt leave. Did you?

Grow some balls man.

Man I positively love what you're preaching and smoking.  Sure, I'll take a hit.  Pass it over here to your left.  I may have fallen off the flying carpet, but fear not I'm still on the bandwagon. 

OK THEN. Nice to have you back.... As Humphrey Bogart once said, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Talib is playing himself out of a big contract...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I didnt leave. Did you?

Grow some balls man.

Ok ok thanks for the smack in the head portfolio---excellent points---I'm all set in the balls department however lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just kind of feel bad for Gronk at this point, I mean the guy has a bad arm, a bad back and now a devastating knee injury. The gronk as we know it is finished, done. He will play again for sure, but he will never be what we are used to seeing...that unique blend of speed and power will be gone. Now perhaps we will see him next November, but he will not be the same player - if you look at him two years from now he still won't be the same player...he'll be older and most likely gone from here.

He was a great player, only a few people could change a game like him. I'm not surprised this happened (in fact I thought the knee injury would happen sooner) because he is so lanky and high cut, those long legs and high running style lead to things like this. Tough hearing him scream "my knee! My knee!" until the microphones finally got shut off field level today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Wake the f   up - it is OVER!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

One thing for no other team has had to come back as often as the Pats. That is not always a good thing but it does give hope that just because you are down does not mean you are out. Have seen many teams mail it in in games like the Pats have had and not one time have they mailed it in.

Just concerned on what the offense will come up with for the rest of the season.

And hope the D finds some semblance of staying healthy and playing consistent D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Wake the f   up - it is OVER!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

I think losing Wilfork was the thing that doomed us.  

Yeah, we can pull some wins out of our @ss still, but VW is irreplaceable on D.

It's too bad, because our secondary is finally competent, and we show some signs of life on offense.  Imagine if we still had Vince Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk, and even AHernandez.  That team is a Super Bowl contender. 

Our current team...No way.  Average defense, and without Gronk, zero weapons on O.  Brady is great, but you have to have someone to throw to.  Belichick sort of blew it by not getting a decent WR.  Amendola has 2 TDs this year.  Gronk is not durable.  We desperately need a WR like what we saw with Josh Gordon today.  Otherwise, we try hard, but don't have the talent to win the SB. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

I didnt leave. Did you?

Grow some balls man.

That takes care of the offense. How do we cover up the festering wart our defense has devolved into? This is not an "AFC appearance" kind of defense. It's a sub .500 defense. I get what your saying but I fear your glasses have a bit too much of a rosey blush for me to jump aboard. I hope I'm wrong. If there is one thing pointing towards your position it is the seemingly magic persona this team possesses.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Time to bring Tim Tebow back and turn him into a TE.  We need God at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to VeritasMD's comment:

I think losing Wilfork was the thing that doomed us.  

Yeah, we can pull some wins out of our @ss still, but VW is irreplaceable on D.

It's too bad, because our secondary is finally competent, and we show some signs of life on offense.  Imagine if we still had Vince Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk, and even AHernandez.  That team is a Super Bowl contender. 

Our current team...No way.  Average defense, and without Gronk, zero weapons on O.  Brady is great, but you have to have someone to throw to.  Belichick sort of blew it by not getting a decent WR.  Amendola has 2 TDs this year.  Gronk is not durable.  We desperately need a WR like what we saw with Josh Gordon today.  Otherwise, we try hard, but don't have the talent to win the SB. 

hoping for the best but realistically thats pretty much how i see it too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

The 2010 GB Packers say hi

I wish the current PATS team was as good as the 2010 Packers. The Packers that year had a lousy D. But our D this year has to be one of the worst in recent memory. And Rogers had way more weapons than TB. On closer examination, there's no comparison between the 2 teams.

Sections
Shortcuts