The Mankins conundrum CBA / Franchise tag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

The Mankins conundrum CBA / Franchise tag

This is a hypothetical (realistic??) scenario the Pats could be faced with if the CBA isn't complete by draft time.
    As we know, there will almost certainly be no new contract for Logan before the CBA expires.
    Although the draft will still happen as scheduled, if the new CBA isn't complete by then, no player trades can occur.
    My point is, what if the draft goes by without the new CBA, Mankins won't resign and we are forced to Franchise him (if it's still an option in the new CBA)?
    The point of franchising would be to keep control of his rights but if he won't report/sign the tender, we would need to trade him for pick(s).
    If that's the case, we would not reap any benefits of the trade until NEXT years draft (a la the Seymour deal).

With the window we have, would the Pats be wise to go this route and miss a year without Logan/player(s) taken from the picks we receive or would they be better off biting the bullet and resigning him to the extension he wants???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Timing issues if Mankins is Franchised

In Response to Timing issues if Mankins is Franchised:
    [QUOTE]This is a hypothetical (realistic??) scenario the Pats could be faced with if the CBA isn't complete by draft time. As we know, there will almost certainly be no new contract for Logan before the CBA expires. Although the draft will still happen as scheduled, if the new CBA isn't complete by then, no player trades can occur. My point is, what if the draft goes by without the new CBA, Mankins won't resign and we are forced to Franchise him (if it's still an option in the new CBA)? ...
    Posted by Wingnut11[/QUOTE]

They can't sign him or franchise him if there's no CBA. The franchise tag is part of the current agreement with the players. If no new CBA becomes effective, then there is no franchise tag. But Mankins also can't be signed by another team, so he's in a sort of limbo. If I'm not mistaken, they can still sign him now up until the 2010 league year ends, in early March.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

Sorry, I know we can't franchise him yet, I didn't communicate that properly.
    I know we "could" resign him now as well, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Point was, if the draft comes and goes and there is no CBA/resigning and the Pats are forced to franchise him (if allowed), would they be wise doing that seeing the compensation wouldn't come til next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: Timing issues if Mankins is Franchised:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, I know we can't franchise him yet, I didn't communicate that properly. I know we "could" resign him now as well, but I think it's highly unlikely. Point was, if the draft comes and goes and there is no CBA/resigning and the Pats are forced to franchise him (if allowed), would they be wise doing that seeing the compensation wouldn't come til next year.
    Posted by Wingnut11[/QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brughj121212. Show brughj121212's posts

Re: The Mankins conundrum CBA / Franchise tag

I just hope we sign him to a long term deal. somehow

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: The Mankins conundrum CBA / Franchise tag

The Mankins ship has sailed. He will be franchised he will be traded We will move on He will fade in to obscurity.

Sections
Shortcuts