The Middle of the Field

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: The Middle of the Field

In Response to The Middle of the Field:
    [QUOTE]So while watching today's game, I couldn't help but notice that the Steelers were consistently completing passes over the middle of the field, which appeared to be entirely vacated by the Patriots zone-coverage. This simply doesn't make sense to me. An eight yard throw directly across the middle of the field is a significantly easier throw than an eight yard throw to the sidelines. It's really simple physics. Throwing to the sidelines involves the ball travelling further, and therefore it is a more difficult throw and allows the DB's and LB's more time to react. I'd much rather give a QB those throws as opposed to the easy checkdowns which I could complete. Thoughts?
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

Of all the days to play soft zones, today wasn't the day

pathetic

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

3rd and 15.  my highly educated guess was first down pittsburgh

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

You're absolutely correct. Sideline throws are generally harder to make. The tradeoff should be that a middle of the field throw will have a lot of bodies around it (safeties and linebackers) whereas a sideline throw generally has just a corner on the receiver.

For some reason, our middle of field doesn't seem to have many bodies around it, nor does our sidelines. Are we playing with 11 guys on defense? It sure doesn't seem like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gwomlo. Show gwomlo's posts

The secondary plays 5 yds or more off the receivers. They truelly are the worst in football. We haven't had any pass defense since Rodney and Asante left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: The Middle of the Field:
    [QUOTE]It would be an interesting stat how many 1st downs the Steelers got when they had 3rd and 10 or more today?  I am certain more than a handful11
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

yes. looked like we reverted back to 2010....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The Middle of the Field

So while watching today's game, I couldn't help but notice that the Steelers were consistently completing passes over the middle of the field, which appeared to be entirely vacated by the Patriots zone-coverage.

This simply doesn't make sense to me. An eight yard throw directly across the middle of the field is a significantly easier throw than an eight yard throw to the sidelines. It's really simple physics. Throwing to the sidelines involves the ball travelling further, and therefore it is a more difficult throw and allows the DB's and LB's more time to react. I'd much rather give a QB those throws as opposed to the easy checkdowns which I could complete.

Thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It would be an interesting stat how many 1st downs the Steelers got when they had 3rd and 10 or more today?  I am certain more than a handful11

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: The Middle of the Field:
    [QUOTE] 9 million bucks for Logan Mankins, flat out, down the drain. What an absolute bust he's been so far this year.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Isn't it amazing time after time atheletes perform great in their contract year and post contract have a big letdown...except Mankins has really had like 1.5 years like a contract year...hmm Brady did not have such a letdown..if there was a personality test that could determine the tendency to relax after getting paid big pro owners would pay big for that.

The RedSox could really benefit from that test.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

A ten month old baby could crawl through the middle of the field on our defense without being touched.

Sections
Shortcuts