The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schilling07. Show schilling07's posts

The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??

Is the loss by the Patriots last night the single most devastating REGULAR SEASON loss ever by a Boston sports team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??

In Response to The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??:
    [QUOTE]Is the loss by the Patriots last night the single most devastating REGULAR SEASON loss ever by a Boston sports team?
    Posted by schilling07[/QUOTE]

Better to lose this one than the Playoff Rematch!  Remember the Giants in 2007?  I would much rather trade the regular season win for the SB win.  It is a long season, we need to put this game in perspective, we dominated the best team in the division for 55 minutes.  Some questionable play calling (conservative) in the last 4 minutes did us in.  This will not happen again in 2009.... mark my words!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schilling07. Show schilling07's posts

I agree the Pats dominated most of the game and I still think they are a Super Bowl favorite and may be a better overall team than the Colts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??:
    [QUOTE]Is the loss by the Patriots last night the single most devastating REGULAR SEASON loss ever by a Boston sports team?

The representation of something in terms that go beyond the facts.
    Can you spell overstatement?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

They lost a game. If the Patriots are destroyed by this mentally and lose 4 more and don't make the playoffs maybe. But that won't happen. I don't feel devastated and I don't think they do. We got the Jets Sunday and yesterday doesn't matter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In Response to Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : Better to lose this one than the Playoff Rematch!  Remember the Giants in 2007?  I would much rather trade the regular season win for the SB win. 
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Obvisouly we would rather have won, but it's not a season ending loss. I can't imagine how they don't feel more motivated to prove to the world they are a better team than the Colts. The whole country watched the Pats dominate the Colts for 4 quarters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schilling07. Show schilling07's posts

In Response to Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : The representation of something in terms that go beyond the facts. Can you spell overstatement?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]
    Overstatement? Its a question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

[QUOTE]I agree the Pats dominated most of the game and I still think they are a Super Bowl favorite and may be a better overall team than the Colts.

Look at the stats.  I would hardly call the Pats dominating.  Colts had more first downs.  Pats had time of possession.  Colts ran well when they needed.  Brady and Manning were both impressive when they had the ball.  Both defenses played well at times and both got burned on some pass plays.  Pats simply couldn't close the deal.  What about Brady's interception in the end zone? Or, Maroneys fumble on the 1 yard line.  We didn't dominate.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Pats need to be 13-3 at the end of regular season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schilling07. Show schilling07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : Look at the stats.  I would hardly call the Pats dominating.  Colts had more first downs.  Pats had time of possession.  Colts ran well when they needed.  Brady and Manning were both impressive when they had the ball.  Both defenses played well at times and both got burned on some pass plays.  Pats simply couldn't close the deal.  What about Brady's interception in the end zone? Or, Maroneys fumble on the 1 yard line.  We didn't dominate.     
    Posted by MarcW1[/QUOTE]
    They were up by 17 at one point and were up by 13 with 4 minutes left I'd say they had a pretty good handle on the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

You're overreacting.

What about the tiebreaker back in 1976 that cost the Sox a playoff spot?  Bucky Dent and his tiebreaking home run?

Or when the Celtics lost Kevin Garnett to a knee injury in Utah last year?  Or what about the game the Patriots lost Brady to a knee injury?

This stung like mad because the Pats had so many chances to win it, but it's far from the worst regular season loss in Boston history.  Get real.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schilling07. Show schilling07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : You're overreacting. What about the tiebreaker back in 1976 that cost the Sox a playoff spot?  Bucky Dent and his tiebreaking home run? Or when the Celtics lost Kevin Garnett to a knee injury in Utah last year?  Or what about the game the Patriots lost Brady to a knee injury? This stung like mad because the Pats had so many chances to win it, but it's far from the worst regular season loss in Boston history.  Get real.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

First of all that was in 1978 and you could call that a playoff game. And the Pats won the game Brady got injured in. And I'm not saying this was the most devastating I was trying to start a conversation about the most devastating reg. season losses in Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : First of all that was in 1978 and you could call that a playoff game. And the Pats won the game Brady got injured in. And I'm not saying this was the most devastating I was trying to start a conversation about the most devastating reg. season losses in Boston.

Yea, the Patriots winning made me feel SO much better about Brady being injured...

And it was a tiebreaker game to decide the outcome of the regular season.  It wasn't a playoff game - the playoffs are what the Sox missed because they lost.

Worst regular season loss(es): the five game sweep of the Sox by the Yankees.  That definitely felt worse than the Colts loss.  The Sox were hapless that weekend.  The Pats at least showed signs that they might continue to improve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The most devastating regular season loss in Boston sports history?? : First of all that was in 1978 and you could call that a playoff game. And the Pats won the game Brady got injured in. And I'm not saying this was the most devastating I was trying to start a conversation about the most devastating reg. season losses in Boston.

IMHO no regular or post-season loss is devastating. Just as no win is monumental. A loss is a loss, a win is a win. Move on...or should we now debate who the better quarterback is (Brady or Manning) or what player should be blamed for losing to the Mets in the World Series? Schill, it's sport. I know some get "jazzed" in talking about such stuff.

For me it holds little interest.

I'd say Daryl Stingley's injury was devastating...911 was devastating..the collapse of the Big Dig was devastating...my dad's death when I was 14 was devastating. Catch my drift?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The most devastating regular season loss is the one that keeps them out of the playoffs.  Loss to Miami last year was more devastating. 
    The only thing devastating about this loss is having to hear the Manning fans spin another one of his penalty fueled drives into heroics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebasatwork. Show sebasatwork's posts

Look, a lot of fans are angry, but that’s just because the Pats lost; imagine for a second the Monday morning titles in case of NE victory: “BB fearless…BB made the ri(ght)sky decision…etc etc”. In my opinion, it was a mistake how they follow-up this decision…Faulk, instead of Welker…somehow, Welker is gaining and extra yard no matter how you tackle him.

Now, let’s talk about future…we have to win all remaining divisional games and we are in the playoffs; let’s face it, 2009 Pats are a little fragile and I don’t believe that we had any real chance of home field advantage throughout the playoffs, or at least the second round. I hope we get to play home with Denver in the first round…and at Colts for the conference title….punt the goddamn ball and win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

We are 6-3 with a revamped defense and a QB on the mend. I'd say we are in great shape.

We will most likely finish 11-5 and get a bye in the playoffs.
      The Colts game is meaningless because the Colts are likely to go 16-0 this year anyway. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Clueless post. Stick to the Sox board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Looks like 1978 was already discussed:

The most devastating Patriot loss ever?

14-0 to the rams in opening day 1992.  both teams stunk I sat and watched the worst game of my life, the Patriots were eliminated from playoff contention before halftime of Game 1.  I was pissed off that the network couldn't change viewers over to the much more exciting Bills-49ers game.  that was a lot worse than this

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Most devastating Patriot loss ever in the regular season...Vinatieri missing a short field goal v. Kansas City in a season finale that would have put the Pats in the playoffs...He hit the upright, then the Pats lost all the tie breakers and missed the postseason...I would definitely call that "devastating" if it means you missed the playoffs based on one play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

And if you want it based solely on shock value, you only have to watch the day before the hockey game between Pittsburgh and Bruins...The B's have the puck on the sideboard with 4 seconds left and an empty net and leading 5-4...How in the world can you possibly lose 2 points that deep into the other team's zone? Well, this is how. You have Bergeron break his stick trying to score into an empty net, the puck gets turned around the other direction, bing-bang-boom...the fastest old guy on skates, Guerin slapper with 0.4 seconds left ties it....That beats the Pats choking... That was a monumental choke by the B's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]And if you want it based solely on shock value, you only have to watch the day before the hockey game between Pittsburgh and Bruins...The B's have the puck on the sideboard with 4 seconds left and an empty net and leading 5-4...How in the world can you possibly lose 2 points that deep into the other team's zone? Well, this is how. You have Bergeron break his stick trying to score into an empty net, the puck gets turned around the other direction, bing-bang-boom...the fastest old guy on skates, Guerin slapper with 0.4 seconds left ties it....That beats the Pats choking... That was a monumental choke by the B's.
    Posted by dcater[/QUOTE]

One game - a really good game - and one loss. Let's move on and fortunately we have the J-E-T-S next so that helps turn the corner (imagine if we had the Browns or the Rams?).

Sections
Shortcuts