The New England Knights might be true after all?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The New England Knights might be true after all?

We have all put in after thoughts about all the Rutgers players that have been signed but I heard on the radio after they recently signed DT Vallone that the Pats now have 9 Rutgers players on it's 90man roster. I understand BB's son went to Rutgers but I mean seriously? There is something wrong when you have 9 out of 90 players all from Rutgers:

• DB - Harmon
    • DB - McCourty
    • DB - Ryan
    • DB - Jones
    • DL - Vallone
    • DL - Francis
    • LB - Beauharnais
    • OL - Haslam
    • WR - Harrison 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The New England Knights might be true after all?

Don't question the greatest GM of all time.

It's illegal to do so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well we missed out on Sanu so 9 out of 10 isn't bad. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know now that I think about it, since we have 9 we have the perfect Rutgers bunch. Now the only question is which one's Marsha and who gets to be Alice?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It is curious and maybe even laughable but in the end what does it matter. They could just as well have played at Hawaii. Only the draft picks will make the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

It is curious and maybe even laughable but in the end what does it matter. They could just as well have played at Hawaii. Only the draft picks will make the team.

My main concern is that it's become an obsession and the Rutgers players might be getting more coaching/rope than what their talent level deserves. I'm all for bringing anyone you think can help the team but when it looks like one college is prefered over all others makes you kind of wonder if they might be given one blind eye in camp instead of the quick boot treatment most of these kids get

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

My main concern is that it's become an obsession and the Rutgers players might be getting more coaching/rope than what their talent level deserves. I'm all for bringing anyone you think can help the team but when it looks like one college is prefered over all others makes you kind of wonder if they might be given one blind eye in camp instead of the quick boot treatment most of these kids get

I trust that's not the case but if it is then it's time for a management change.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

BB's kid is lonely and wants his buds from Rutgers around him...the perks of being the coach's kid

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The Mel Kipers of the world don't know about guys like these.  You have to hunker down in the Jersey swamps and wait in the weeds. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

53 of the 90 guys will make the team. So realisticly only 4-5 Rugters players will make the team. What about the UF on the team? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

We have all put in after thoughts about all the Rutgers players that have been signed but I heard on the radio after they recently signed DT Vallone that the Pats now have 9 Rutgers players on it's 90man roster. I understand BB's son went to Rutgers but I mean seriously? There is something wrong when you have 9 out of 90 players all from Rutgers:

• DB - Harmon
    • DB - McCourty
    • DB - Ryan
    • DB - Jones
    • DL - Vallone
    • DL - Francis
    • LB - Beauharnais
    • OL - Haslam
    • WR - Harrison 

OK so underlined is Harmon who is a reach, I won't even say otherwise.  Even if he turns into a stud..

The bold names are all good picks.  McCourty is a starting FS.  Francis was a late pick and seems to have a prominent role as a back up heading into the season.  Beauharnais I believe was a 7th round pick that should have been a 3/4th round pick.  Ryan was a top 50 talent taken in the third round.

Harrison is an intriguing size and speed WR that was undrafted and a FA pick up.  When you break this down Harmon is the only head scratcher...  It is what is... let's see what these guys can do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

• DB - Harmon
    • DB - McCourty
    • DB - Ryan
    • DB - Jones
    • DL - Vallone
    • DL - Francis
    • LB - Beauharnais
    • OL - Haslam
    • WR - Harrison 

All but two of those players are defenders, Rutgers did have one of the best defenses in the nation running a system very similar to ours and McCourty really doesn't count among this year's draft class does he?  

If you wanted to bring some continuity to a young defense like the Pats, why not bring in a bunch of guys who have worked together, speak the same language and were very effective as a group.  It costs you nothing, you get to see who amongst the Rutgers guys really possess the talent and you've increased the communication level across your entire defense.  There may be a reason beyond nepotism for this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

All but two of those players are defenders, Rutgers did have one of the best defenses in the nation running a system very similar to ours and McCourty really doesn't count among this year's draft class does he?  

If you wanted to bring some continuity to a young defense like the Pats, why not bring in a bunch of guys who have worked together, speak the same language and were very effective as a group.  It costs you nothing, you get to see who amongst the Rutgers guys really possess the talent and you've increased the communication level across your entire defense.  There may be a reason beyond nepotism for this.

I can see that Wozzy, but bringing over an entire Rutgers secondary is a bit weird. They may have been good but no college program survives together into the Pro's. Not even Ala. I don't expect many to make the team truthfully which kind of breaks the continuity aspect nor do I think anyone of us really wants the majority of these guys to make up half of the secondary coming out of camp. It's just very strange to see this many carry overs from one team and something the league hasn't seen nor generally does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

OK so underlined is Harmon who is a reach, I won't even say otherwise.  Even if he turns into a stud..

The bold names are all good picks.  McCourty is a starting FS.  Francis was a late pick and seems to have a prominent role as a back up heading into the season.  Beauharnais I believe was a 7th round pick that should have been a 3/4th round pick.  Ryan was a top 50 talent taken in the third round.

Harrison is an intriguing size and speed WR that was undrafted and a FA pick up.  When you break this down Harmon is the only head scratcher...  It is what is... let's see what these guys can do.

I loved Francis (UDFA) coming out of camp last year and McCourty as a second round pick should be good and expect him to excel at FS but the others to me have question marks written all over them. Ryan I wasn't a big fan of out of college and so far this camp he really hasn't impressed in the least. Maybe he's a late preseason bloomer but I keep hearing him getting beat and beat badly at practice. Harmon.............. Beauharnais has potential but there's a reason a lat day 2 type of talent falls to the back of the 7th. Hopefully it's behind him but you never know. Harrison has some talent but I'm not sure if he can really beat out the other rooks. To me he has a shot at PS.

In the end I wouldn't call any headscratchers as individuals (except for Harmon) but the headscratching part is why so many from a single team? To me part of their success in college was you had a bunch of good but not great players who played well together. Now in college that works well but in the pro's when everyone was great in college the higher level of talent exposes those weaknesses rather quickly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I can see that Wozzy, but bringing over an entire Rutgers secondary is a bit weird. They may have been good but no college program survives together into the Pro's. Not even Ala. I don't expect many to make the team truthfully which kind of breaks the continuity aspect nor do I think anyone of us really wants the majority of these guys to make up half of the secondary coming out of camp. It's just very strange to see this many carry overs from one team and something the league hasn't seen nor generally does.

I don't expect them to make the team, but they could leave an imprint of communication, impart knowledge to fellow players and it could help the guys who do make it assimilate more easily into the unit as a whole.  There may be other reasons for this besides trying out a bunch of guys to make the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It only seems strange from the outside because it somewhat of a rare "out of the box" strategy. Actually, I doubt it is a strategy afterall. It is a hunch being played by BB to find the best talent that will fit our system and he is relying on guys that know our system and we will see how much talent they have as camp and the preseason move along. I like it and also the idea that insignificant Rutgers is getting a shot to contribute to a pro team in a big way.

(Also, if anyone could draft 9 top guys from the leading SEC school and do it in a cost effective way without interferance from the other 31 teams, I am sure they would try!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I loved Francis (UDFA) coming out of camp last year and McCourty as a second round pick should be good and expect him to excel at FS but the others to me have question marks written all over them. Ryan I wasn't a big fan of out of college and so far this camp he really hasn't impressed in the least. Maybe he's a late preseason bloomer but I keep hearing him getting beat and beat badly at practice. Harmon.............. Beauharnais has potential but there's a reason a lat day 2 type of talent falls to the back of the 7th. Hopefully it's behind him but you never know. Harrison has some talent but I'm not sure if he can really beat out the other rooks. To me he has a shot at PS.

In the end I wouldn't call any headscratchers as individuals (except for Harmon) but the headscratching part is why so many from a single team? To me part of their success in college was you had a bunch of good but not great players who played well together. Now in college that works well but in the pro's when everyone was great in college the higher level of talent exposes those weaknesses rather quickly.

Not to correct you, but McCourty was a first rounder.  I think Arrington's back up is going to be Ryan by mid season latest - Not Cole... it will take sometime, but for a third round pick you could do much worse than a top 50 ranked player in a draft... see Harmon, jk but not really...  Really I think if these guys played for different teams we wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it.  Again, as stated by wozzy, most won't make the team anyways.  Pats depth in most positions, it's the difference makers they lack or have lacked.   So I'm looking at Jones, and Hightower more than the Rutgers imports. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

the lack of any kind of system for drafting seems to be as good as any other system...lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

How many managers of billion dollar organizations could get away with such nonsense?

If you were an employee, a recruit or a stakeholder in such an organization, would you be pleased?  Too much authority run amuck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to expertmike's comment:

How many managers of billion dollar organizations could get away with such nonsense?

If you were an employee, a recruit or a stakeholder in such an organization, would you be pleased?  Too much authority run amuck.

Are we assuming the Owner is not on board?  There were 'rumors' the Pats scout team told BB not to pick Collins in the second, as he could be had in the 4/5th round...  You pick the guy you want when you think you can get him...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Don't question the greatest GM of all time.

It's illegal to do so.

It is illegal for people who have never played or coached professional football to assume that they are wiser than someone who has gone to seven Super Bowls as coordinator or head coach. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

still a month to go and for changes to evolve. Today, I dont think Harmon is one of the "keep" S's on the team. McCourty, TWilson, AWilson, Gregory, all better than Harmon, and Cole is seeing time at S, CB and ST's.....

I would put Harmon in that last 3 on/last 3 off category today, even though he was a significant draft choice

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-breaking-down-2013-nfl-draft-selections-145600417.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So BB is paying off the favor that got his kid accepted at Rutgers.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

• DB - Harmon
    • DB - McCourty
    • DB - Ryan
    • DB - Jones
    • DL - Vallone
    • DL - Francis
    • LB - Beauharnais
    • OL - Haslam
    • WR - Harrison 

OT - Scott Vallone

Sections
Shortcuts