The new Wes Welker? T.J. Moe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The new Wes Welker? T.J. Moe

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/04/patriots_sign_ufa_wr_tj_moe_ou.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: The new Wes Welker? T.J. Moe

He looks just like Welker in the highlights.  Although he is much bigger 6'0"  204lbs.  He went undrafted because his production slipped in his last 2 years in college. It was due to adjusting to a new QB and focus on running game. He also ran a slow 40 at combine 4.74    He ran much better at his pro day mid 4.5 to low 4.6   But all his other numbers from combine were off the charts.  Bench press 26   vertical 36"   and a super fast 3 cone time of 6.53   I think this kid has a good shot to make the roster, check out these highlights, it looks just like #83

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2013_Draft_Prospects_TJ_Moe_WR/e2777b09-9d50-4eb7-972b-b03e18f0a728

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm pretty high on this kid, too.  It is going to be a tall task for him to make our 53 man roster, though.  He needs to have a very good camp and preseason.  I'm assuming we will keep: Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce, & Slater.  That would mean that TJ Moe would have to either beat out Donald Jones, or we would have to keep 7 WRs.  I think it is extremely unlikely that Moe would clear waivers to make it to our P.S. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Big question is: would he drop the Lombardi trophy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Babe, 

Stop throwing digs at Welker. The man is gone to Denver but was a great receiver for us for a long time or are you not capable of saying anything positive ? You're the Football version of Georom on the Red Sox end of the BDC, but at least Geo is optimistic in between his digs. I barely ever remember your writing anything positive. 

Hetch

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

However unfair it is too remember only the two drops in the Super Bowl and last years championship games by Wes Welker they were big drops. Do they define the player that Wes was while here in New England absolutely not! He was one of the hardest working WR's ever to don a Patriots uni,and he was a valued member of the community. Also he is the leading receiver all time in New England!!! Amendola.TJ Moe,or any other receiver has large shoes to fill...By the way the best way for Moe to make the roster is to excel at the ST's because like everyone here already knows BB needs a reason to keep 7 WR's. He can't justify it to his other parts of his team otherwise. The more positions you can play the better your odds with BB making the decisions. Moe can play QB as he was the Missouri b/u when Gabbert was the man! Thats how he became a WR!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. Wes was and still is a very good receiver. I appreciate how hard he played for us, and respect him regardless of what jersey he wears.

moe doesn't need to be welker. Not if out te's stay healthy and we get contributions from amendola, Dobson, Boyce and Edelman. If he can play the slot and contribute, even marginally at the beginning, that will be good enough. 

My guess is he opens a lot of eyes at camp, and makes the roster over jones. He won't make it to the ps, and I would rather keep moe, than one of the te's or rb's if we need to make room. He has value as a slot WR, can line up in the backfield and can return punts. I think we will see he is not Wes, but a better version of Edelman. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

bring on the Moe-Jo....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Babe, 

Stop throwing digs at Welker. The man is gone to Denver but was a great receiver for us for a long time or are you not capable of saying anything positive ? You're the Football version of Georom on the Red Sox end of the BDC, but at least Geo is optimistic in between his digs. I barely ever remember your writing anything positive. 

Hetch

I love Wes. Sorry he's gone. But he should catch the damned ball. Simple as that. If people weren't so over the top making excuses I would probably mention it less.

C'mon. I say BB is the best coach in the business. I say Brady is the GOAT. I applaud Wilfork, Talib and Dennard. I defend Mayo. I respect the O-line.

Granted, I do lean a bit one way to offset the rampant kool-aide guzzling. Especially regarding BB the GM. I just have to. I'm compelled to be objective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wes is the greatest small game receiver of all times.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

i gotta say kansas even as a giants fan i find it hard to believe how easy pats fans tink it's gonna be to replace welker...i don't think exactly what he did or how unique he was will be fully appreciated till he is gone...exoecting an undrafted college kid to do THAT? hmmm i dunno man

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll give Moe credit:  He was clearly #1 among wide receivers in the 3-cone, clearly #1 in the 20 yard shuttle, clearly #1 in the 60 yard shuttle and clearly #1 in the bench press.  He should have explosion similar to Welker-Edelman-Amendola to run the in-out route.  He's going to be a hard guy to play shutdown against with his arm strength and weight -- more likely he's going to pop the defender 2 yards away from the play if he and the defender bump each other. 

That said, his arms are short and he has no top end speed.  I can see why the other 31 teams didn't draft him. 

The key will be Moe learning all those little things, perhaps not learning them in time to make the roster but making the practice squad.  I think that Welker was a revelation to BB.  If a little tiny Miami guy could give the Patriots fits, maybe he could give the rest of the league fits too.  600 or so pass completions later,  Welker seems to have passed that test.

Moe is such a good name in this business!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I haven't watched the video yet, but with all the claims that he's the next Wes Welker I hope this guy isn't white. Not for racial reasons, it just bothers me that we group people by their race even if they have two complete skill sets. 

Like Margus Hunt got called the next J.J. Watt, when, in all truth, the only thing Hunt has in common with J.J. is that they're both white. Watt has more in common with a young Richard Seymour. 

The Ministry of Defense! Jerod MayoBrandon SpikesDont'a Hightower

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Okay, he does have a lot in common with Wes Welker, but how many Welker clones do we need? 

Edelman, Amendola*, Boyce and TJ Moe all fighting for 3 spots. 

The Ministry of Defense! Jerod MayoBrandon SpikesDont'a Hightower

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Versatility is more important than height. I didn't know you have to be a certain height to be a Wide-Reciever. I'll take quickness over height.
    Most of the time when you see these Tall recievers fighting for the ball is because the play is broken down, and the QB has no other choice. Also you keep throwing jump balls its going to burn you.

Also Big tall recievers rely on missed tackles, so usually its a short quick pass. Very few Calvin Johnson's out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Okay, he does have a lot in common with Wes Welker, but how many Welker clones do we need? 

Amendola has the speed (and is 6 foot) to play the outside position and be the back-up for Dobson.  I can see Edleman, Amendola, Boyce, Moe, and Dobson being the starting receivers with Hernandez being out there at times . . . Slater is listed there but really is just a special teamer.  Jones maybe on the injuried list for the beginning of the season until one of those six receivers goes down with a problem (Edelman and Amendola have had their problems in the past).  TJ Moe may make it to the practice squad when Jones is ready to play . . . remember no one drafted him when they had the chance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I read one Poster who keeps saying I want a Tall, Big, Reciever, who can snag the ball in traffic.

The key word here is Traffic. Might as well have 3 TE's on the field, if this is the case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Amendola has the speed (and is 6 foot) to play the outside position and be the back-up for Dobson.  I can see Edleman, Amendola, Boyce, Moe, and Dobson being the starting receivers with Hernandez being out there at times . . . Slater is listed there but really is just a special teamer.  Jones maybe on the injuried list for the beginning of the season until one of those six receivers goes down with a problem (Edelman and Amendola have had their problems in the past).  TJ Moe may make it to the practice squad when Jones is ready to play . . . remember no one drafted him when they had the chance.

I found several sites that list Moe as 6'0", 204 lbs and Amendola at 5'11" 188 lbs both running the 40 at the combine at 4.68.