The NFL Commissioner and the Refs will ruin this game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: The NFL Commissioner and the Refs will ruin this game

the troubling sign is that The League is instantly reacting to the weekly media story. if you listened to coach bill on weei, you'd know that he cautioned against jumping to conclusions and the importance of being aware of possible ripple effects of rule changes on the fly. and, of course, as usual, hes right
    i am so sick of the stupid, hyperventilating media proudly robed in justice influencing politics and now they are taking on football.
    this is so WRONG-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

The rules are only as good as the people enforcing them. The Jets DB's will grab & ride a receiver down the field & it's rarely called on them. How did the Colts DB's last year not have a flag thrown for PI against them? It has to do with decisions made by Goodell. For some reason he has favorite teams (Jets, Giants, Colts, Steelers) that get away with an awful lot, & always comes to the referees defense whenever they get caught on film showing favor. He always says they do no wrong. That's amazing, a group of human beings that are flawless, & they just happen to work for the NFL. Goodell has overstayed his welcome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Look at what the NBA has done to itself...a technical if you "looked shocked" at a Refs call!!! Excessive had gestures over a call!! The list is as stupid is as stupid does. Lets hope this PC mentality does not creep into the NFL, the last truly great sport in America.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

I couldn't agree more.  The NFL, each year, is getting harder and harder to watch due to the over-officiating.  Every other pass play is pass-interference.  You now don't so much look for your guys to make a play as you look for flags to be thrown to help/not hurt your team. There are multiple reasons for this to be the case but the main one is:

1) NFL Pushing Offensive football (higher TV ratings= higher revenues)

The NFL, when it listened to Polian the Whiner after the 2004 Pats beatdown of the Colts, emphasized Pass interference after 5 yards. Since then, Pass-interference has become so ticky-tack that no defender can play without being flagged. This has led to these two unintended consequences:

1) increase in the number of violent hits put on offensive players (one because when they get a good shot to light-up an offensive player they take it (separate man from ball= trying to level an unfair playing field between offense and defense; 24/7 Sports coverage= Face-time on Sports Center=name recognition= $) but has also led to less fundamentally sound football players trying to make the big hit rather than wrapping-up.

2)  The integrity of the game is now questionable.  It is becoming increasingly less about the players than it it about application of increasing amount of rules that slow the game down and cause it to be less fun to watch.

To solve these issues,  I would, also expand the NO CHUCK zone from 5 yards to either 10 or 15 yards down the field and allow face-guarding w/ no contact.  This will allow defenders to feel that they can compete with the offenses they are competing against.

I would then emphasize to all coaches in the High School, College, and Pros to teach sound fundamental tackling and would also continue the fining/suspension process for deliberate helmet to helmet hits.

Lets get back to playing real football not wathcing the refs throw flags all game.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'm a Patriot fan but did you see the pass interfernce call on the Ravens when Brady threw a sideline pass to Gronkowski! The Raven DB didn't even touch Gronkowski and the flag came out. Football has turned into the entertainment business. Next preseason Goddell can bring in the Hollywood stunt men to teach the defensive players how to make it look like they are laying a hit on the WR without actually hitting him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I still enjoy the game. I was thinking in a couple of months I might start a thread just to see if this little shakeup has changed anyone's enjoyment of the game. I really don't think much is going to change except guys will make an effort not to turn themselves into human missiles. Just don't launch Baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

In Response to Re: The NFL Commissioner and the Refs will ruin this game:
    Ronf not to start a fight or anything but some of those suggestions you just made would also RUIN the game. One foot in bounds? That is bushleague, and the CB has to look for the ball before he makes a play on it, we teach that sh*t at the high school level so these guys should know better.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Ok so forget those two suggestions. What I'm trying to say is instead of those stupid 50 yard Peyton Manning incompletions accompanied by a flag , I'd rather see a player catch the ball with one foot in bounds than some Zebra deciding the outcome of an important game. You can't say your happy with the way the game is now? The defense can't play ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I still get the feeling these new rules will come back to haunt the Pats.  Yes, other teams will be effected the same way too but when we lose Pat Chung or Jerod Mayo for a game or two for incidental helmet to helmet contact, alot of us fans will be p*ssed.  But that's exactly what's going to happen around the league.  Players will be suspended for borderline hits or hits that are perfectly clean/legal but considered by the refs to be excessive (judgement call?) or too devastating. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I still get the feeling these new rules will come back to haunt the Pats.  Yes, other teams will be effected the same way too but when we lose Pat Chung or Jerod Mayo for a game or two for incidental helmet to helmet contact, alot of us fans will be p*ssed.  But that's exactly what's going to happen around the league.  Players will be suspended for borderline hits or hits that are perfectly clean/legal but considered by the refs to be excessive (judgement call?) or too devastating. 
    Posted by Salcon

All you have to do is listen to the media. Apparently the only 'bad' hit was of course the one made by the Patriot.

As for the commissioner. He's intent of broadening the appeal of the game. That means exciting high scoring games and no hitting that will turn off the housewives and tiddly winks players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

RonF I am a defensive guy myself so you dont need to sell me on how the D cant play. I am right there with you but the rules you are talking about are not all bad. Personally I like the way the PI rule is written, if a player does not look for the ball before getting mixed up with the WR its a PI its pretty basic and if people would follow what they were taught it wouldnt be called. McCourty gets a pass cause he is a rookie but when a veteran does its drive me nuts cause they should know how to play that. Some rules I agree are turning this sport into a powder puff league but not all of the rules you mentioned are the ones i would single out. Like the rules protecting the QB, those are insane i mean he is a football player and should be able to take a hit. but really we agree with each other just in different ways so im not really arguing with you lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Have you noticed that the media conversation has changed from deliberate helmet to helmet hits to 'violent hits' and 'devistating hits'?

This morning I caught Schlereth on ESPN ranting about how the NFL was ruining his football while at the same time waving a DVD called NFL's greatest hits as he called them hypocrites. Of course he failed to mention that for years ESPN ran 'Jacked Up' one of their most popular NFL segments. It mysteriously disappeared when ESPN took up the concussion issue. I guess the NFL are hypocrites but his bosses aren't. Of course this was the same guy that said he was emotionally scarred by spygate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Brady got his knee blown out by a cheap shot when he was defenseless. So that's what we want to encourage? I don't get it. Cheap shots like the one by Cooke on Savard or the one by Meriweather on Heaps don't belong in either hockey or football. You take a shot at the guy's head when he's in the air and the ball is clearly overthrown and that makes you a hero! The NFL is the most popular sport in the country and its popularity is not going to plummet because it doesn't tolerate thuggery or goonery. That type of behavior is for losers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

RonF I am a defensive guy myself so you dont need to sell me on how the D cant play. I am right there with you but the rules you are talking about are not all bad. Personally I like the way the PI rule is written, if a player does not look for the ball before getting mixed up with the WR its a PI its pretty basic and if people would follow what they were taught it wouldnt be called. McCourty gets a pass cause he is a rookie but when a veteran does its drive me nuts cause they should know how to play that. Some rules I agree are turning this sport into a powder puff league but not all of the rules you mentioned are the ones i would single out. Like the rules protecting the QB, those are insane i mean he is a football player and should be able to take a hit. but really we agree with each other just in different ways so im not really arguing with you lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

The QB is often your 60 million dollar man! I'd say I can live with only hitting the QB between the thigh and his shoulders. Rodney Harrison actually mastered that before leaving the game. Really though, the QB rules are not on the table for discussion in the NFL. The QBs are the stars that bring people to the stadiums.
    For me it's the fact that the DBs in particular can't play with these frivilous flags that are being thrown. Did you see the flag that was thrown on the sideline pass that Brady threw to Gronkowskis? The DB didn't even touch Gronkowski. I'm a Pats fan so I'm happy it kept the drive alive BUT it must of stunk if you were the DB! He got ripped off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't mind issuing stiffer fines for hits. It will encourage proper technique that protects both players. I don't even mind suspensions for repeat offenders. What I do mind is the idea of the NFL having arbitrary authority to suspend players for any hit they deem suspension worthy.

In a case like this, where you have Meriweather with his first h-2-h penalty and fine, suspension would be ludicrous.

Then there are the players of the world who are fined multiple times a season (like RH) who could use a suspension to wake them up.

Something really structured, like $15000-$25000-$50000-one game susp. would be a fair way to go about it, but I would hate to have someone like McCourty or Meriweather or Chung pulled from a game, or told they have to sit out the next week because of an arbitrary decision based on the perceived 'viciousness' or 'maliciousness' of a hit. It smacks of the Mungy rule redux, except now the NFL can actually take stars like Meri out rather than just place the ball at the spot of a foul.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Posted by Salcon

And of course,all these people will defend Chung (who already has an h-2-h in three seasons less service time than Meri) and Mayo in the same breath that they toss Meriweather under the bus.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't mind issuing stiffer fines for hits. It will encourage proper technique that protects both players. I don't even mind suspensions for repeat offenders. What I do mind is the idea of the NFL having arbitrary authority to suspend players for any hit they deem suspension worthy. Posted by zbellino

This is the crux of the biscuit, right here^.

We joke and smoke about perceived (actual?) bias in this forum all the time. It appears just lately that Green New Jersey has replaced Indianapolis as the commissioner's darling, but if you thought this kind of talk was rampant before, just watch what happens when the league starts poring over film and picking and choosing which hits it believes are "too hard" and -- more to the point -- which players it wants to see on the sidelines from week to week.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: The NFL Commissioner and the Refs will ruin this game : This is the crux of the biscuit, right here^. We joke and smoke about perceived (actual?) bias in this forum all the time. It appears just lately that Green New Jersey has replaced Indianapolis as the commissioner's darling, but if you thought this kind of talk was rampant before, just watch what happens when the league starts poring over film and picking and choosing which hits it believes are "too hard" and -- more to the point -- which players it wants to see on the sidelines from week to week.
    Posted by p-mike

And of course the copious amounts of bias that we see here wouldn't possibly enter the equation either. 

You can literally tell exactly who is going to defend a hit based on what they think of a player team before they put finger to key.

The last thing I want is NFL officials having that kind of immediate (or even immediately after the fact) say based on one play. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: The NFL Commissioner and the Refs will ruin this game : And of course,all these people will defend Chung (who already has an h-2-h in three seasons less service time than Meri) and Mayo in the same breath that they toss Meriweather under the bus.
    Posted by zbellino

I'm not an anti-Merriweather guy.  I just used Chung and Mayo as examples because they seem to get more love on this forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It's all about intent to me.  I've seen plenty of hits where a player is trying to make a square tackle but the offensive guy moves in a way that causes a helmet to helmet.  These guys don't stand there like tackling dummies.  We're telling them to hit with their shoulder but not the head.  Has anyone ever noticed how close the shoulder is to the head? 

Add in the speed of the game and helmets make contact all the time.  Realistically, there are a dozen hits a game that could be called helmet to helmet, or leading with the helmet.  They won't call them all or football will cease to exist.  So they will try to call the more "devastating" hits which is arbitrary.  If anything I'd rather just give the ref the ability to decide whether the hit was intended to injure.  If there is any doubt, no call.  That puts alot of power in the refs hands but I'd rather they decide what's meant to injure, than what's "devastating" because it's less arbitrary and hard hits are part of football.

Sections
Shortcuts