The NFL overtime rules are a complete joke.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: The NFL overtime rules are a complete joke.

I agree.  The coin toss does not do the sport justice.  At least give each team a possession.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In the years before the rules committee changed the mindset of the NFL from a smash-mouth defensive league to a wide open offensive shooting match, the overtime rules were just fine but since then the coin flip has become too important.  Also, it seems lame indoors.  Of course the flip winner is going to take the ball.  They're not worried about decisions regarding wind, snow or cold, and indoors a 50 yarder just seems that much easier.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I like them like they are.  If you dont want to lose, WIN IN REGULATION.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

When OT rules were established 40 years ago, football was played outside on grass where a 40 yard FG was an iffy proposition. Today with the majority of fields artificial turf, and never mind mentioning domes with no elements at all to contend with, 50+ yard kicks are not that tough. Basically its a lot easier to win an OT game today with a field goal then it was when the rule was put in place. OT should be a 10 minute quarter at least. And get rid of the coin flip, and give the ball to the visiting team to start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The problem with the college OT rules is that the game can go on and on.  The OT rule in the NFL is designed to get to a winner in a resonable amount of time.  Fairness has nothing to do with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Dirty Water. I don't like the college rule the way it is either.If they just allow both teams to have at least one shot on offense that would make it completely fair. If after both teams get their shot one team was ahead it's over. It would also encourage teams to score touchdowns in OT instead of FGs. So when New Orleans gets their field goal last night they have to kick off to the Vikes. Within a couple of plays the Vikings would have turned the ball over again and the game would done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Why even bother with OT...In regular season end the game as a tie, and play an extra 10 minute quarter in OT for playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OOLLYY. Show OOLLYY's posts

I think the two quarter backs should stand back to back at the fifty yard like walk to the corresponding forty yard line, turn and shoot.  Yes that's right, a paint gun duel!!!  The qb with the most paint splats on the opposing qb wins. 

Of course the sudden death over-time rule is foolish.  Determining who goes to the super bowl via a coin toss seems logical to you?

It has to be revised.  I do think the college system has it partially right, but those high scoring games seem ludicrous to me.   Similar to the NHL, I would have one overtime quarter, 15:00 added minutes.  I would think most games could be determined in that time frame.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

The Packers won the coin toss against AZ, how did that work out for them?  I think the number over the past 10 years is something like 60% of teams that win the coin toss win the game, it is an advantage but by no means guarantees victory.  Two years ago Brett Favre won the OT toss against the Giants and promptly was picked off.

I would hate to see the NFL go to the college system, which is too drawn out for my taste. 

One idea I've heard that I like is make it a game to 6, but cap it at 15 minutes.  If a team can march down and score a TD on the first possession they deserve to win.  If they can't then the other team gets a shot to answer. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Of course the sudden death over-time rule is foolish.  Determining who goes to the super bowl via a coin toss seems logical to you?

THis is a drastic over-simplification.  As I stated in an earlier post, 2 years ago in the NFC championship the Packers won the toss and the Giants won the game.  In this years play-offs the Packers won the coin toss and the Cardinals won the game. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I think that on all kickoffs, a touchback should be placed on the 10 yard line.  Also, move the kickoff tee up 5 yards in all open-air stadiums except Denver.  These changes will eliminate half of the added value of receiving the football.  The average runback will now stop on the 20 yard line, with a few on the 15 or even some on the 10.  The usual number will go back to the house as before.

Punts are different.  Leaving a punt touchback on the 20 yard line means that players will still try to down the punt on the 1 yard line, and coaches will still gamble on 4th and 2 on the 37 yard line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from don1320. Show don1320's posts

At the coin toss it is said that the first team to score wins. To me that means if your defence can not stop me and I score I WIN. Now if your defence stands up and gets you the ball, you have the chance to win IF you score the first points in overtime.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

Both teams should get a possession in overtime and that is it.  If the team that wins the toss kicks a field goal the other team can tie it with a field goal. If they fall short by missing a field goal, fumble or interception the game is over.  If they score a touchdown they win.  

If the game is tied after each team had a possession the first team to score after that wins.  If you can't stop a team twice from scoring then shame on you and you deserve to lose. 

I hate it that teams play 16 games, 2 or 3 playoffs games and it comes down to a coin toss.  W.T.F.!!!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Couldn't disagree more. You're the best football players in all the world and if you were talented enough to win the game, you'd only need 60 minutes. Anyone rooting for the Vikings need to look no further than the turnovers and the close plays on potential turnovers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The NFL overtime rules allow one random team to have an unfair advantage over the other... it's a fact and isn't fair.  There is no argument that justifies the fact that it is fair.  I'm tired of hearing crap like "if you are the better team you should win in 60 minutes" or "only 60% of the teams that win the coin toss win the game" or "If you want to beat them, stop them".  Those are not valid excuses to justify the rules. 

Here's a comparison... It would be like instead of having extra innings in baseball, there was a coin toss to decide who batted first and whoever scores the first run wins the game. 

It's not complicated, the rules ARE NOT FAIR.  I don't understand how the NFL doesn't understand this.  Is allowing the team that loses the coin toss to have rebuttal really that much to ask for?  I think not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

One team not getting at least a shot will forever be unfair in my opinion. Both teams should get a shot, and if they are still tied, then they (both) try again until someone scores, but BOTH teams should be allowed to try and score just like the penalty shots in hockey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 13lucky. Show 13lucky's posts

Since many people don't seem to like the coin toss for overtime, maybe a few rounds of rock/paper/scissors would be better.Wink
    I'm not crazy about the college format. Maybe they should place the ball at midfield instead of at the 25 yard line.
    For the NFL, if the team getting the ball first scores on the opening drive of overtime, perhaps the other team gets one chance at the ball.
    I'm not in favor of going back to having tie games. Even hockey got rid of games ending in a tie. For those of you too young to remember the saying: ending a game in a tie is like kissing your sister.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Here's a comparison... It would be like instead of having extra innings in baseball, there was a coin toss to decide who batted first and whoever scores the first run wins the game.  

This analogy doesn't really account fot the Cardinals defensive OT touchdown to beat the Packers.

It's not complicated, the rules ARE NOT FAIR.  I don't understand how the NFL doesn't understand this.  Is allowing the team that loses the coin toss to have rebuttal really that much to ask for?  I think not.

I'm sure the NFL is perfectly aware of the inequality that exists with the current system but they are also not going to go college/video game route that goes on way to long and has many of its own drawbacks.  One team does have an advantage but winning the toss by no means assures victory.

Minnesota losing the coin toss yesterday doesn't make the top 10 list of things they could have done differently to win that game.  They had every chance to win that game in regulation and they blew it.  If your tired of hearing that 'crap' too bad, because that is the truth. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

HELLO, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.  "Fair" overtime only will encourage scaredy cat coaches to play the safe tie, making things worse.  Sudden death is good.  The PI calls are what is killing everything, and in overtime teams need to fling it to get down to figgie range and those PI's, or the fear of them, is what is allowing alot of it. Keep it.  The Vikings had the Saints RIGHT where they wanted them, and gave the frickin game AWAY.  Their own fault.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Just to play Devil's advocate. How is one team getting the ball first unfair? Defense wins Championships, or so I've heard. If you can't stop your opponent from scoring, when it means the most (they score they win) maybe you aren't championship material.

I don't really believe that, the coin flip stinks, but I'm just saying... the '85 wouldn't have cared if they had to go on D first, in overtime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

"Just to play Devil's advocate. How is one team getting the ball first unfair? Defense wins Championships, or so I've heard. If you can't stop your opponent from scoring, when it means the most (they score they win) maybe you aren't championship material."

Again, like i said in my second post, THIS IS NOT A VALID ARGUMENT.  You can defend the fact that defense wins championships all you want but it doesn't change the fact that the OT rules are completely unfair.  It is just mind boggling how people can still sit there and defend the current OT rules.  A team wins a random coin toss, only has to travel 30-40 yards up field, kick a field goal, and win the game without the other team getting a chance to rebuttal.  It's unfair, end of story.  I mean at least make it a requirement to have to score a TD (which would still be unfair unless rebuttal was included)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Just to play Devil's advocate. How is one team getting the ball first unfair? 

Statistically, it has become unfair. This is mainly due to the shifting of the kickoff from the 35 to the 30, kicker accuracy and domed stadiums.

When it was started, the team that won the toss pretty much won the game half the time - whether it was on the first drive or after the other team got the ball. They won the game on the first drive about 25% of the time.

Now, because there is generally a shorter field (better field position from being able to generate a return), kickers are more accurate and weather in some cases is a non-factor due to domes, the team winning the coin toss wins the game over 60% of the time and wins it on the first drive around 40% of the time. Generally, if the coin toss winner does not score on the first drive, they have a better chance of winning still due to the positive field position created.

So, yes, there is too much advantage given to winning the coin flip in OT.

What the NFL needs to do is manage the situation so the statistics match the older OT stats.

They can accomplish this by changing the position of the kickoff in OT - maybe move it to the 35 just for OT. This is the one I am for.
    They can eliminate the kickoff itself and just give the winner the ball at the 20. (I don't like this because I like the returns.) This could even out the issue of field position, though.

I actually love the idea of sudden death. They just need to make it harder for the first team to hold possession to score.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

No one here had a problem with this scenario last year when the colts lost.  Why now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Whining about the OT rule is silly. If one team is truly better than the other, than that team should be able to win in regulation. The college way of doing it is dumb. It can go on forever. It would be impractical to do it in the pros. Too prolonged, and it would increse the odds of injury...as tired players do battle in the confined spaces of the redzone.

Yes, the Vikings got jobbed on that PI penalty. But, lets not forget that they allowed the Saints to return the OT kick-off 40 yards...setting the Saints up in excellent field position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(gg)...you stated:

"No one here had a problem with this scenario last year when the colts lost.  Why now?"

LOL!!! For heavens sake man...stop whining about last years' loss to San Diego!! The Colts didn't deserve to win that game. Their OL couldn't wedge out a yard when they needed to. Enjoy this year! Great years like the Colts are having in 2009 don't always come around.  

Sections
Shortcuts