The NFL overtime rules are a complete joke.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: The NFL overtime rules are a complete joke.

TP - I suppose that was a little whine from me, but more of a satisfying dig that very few here ever give the colts the benefit of the doubt.  They complain now but not before. 

PS - thanks for the kind words.  We are enjoying the fun as pats fans have frequently. 

I know on the other thread you said the game would be an easy win for the colts, but I am not so sure.  What the saints did in their win was survive and at the very least, given the pounding they were taking, you have to appreciate that.  Teams many times panic and abandon their game plans when it appears they are on the wrong side of momentum, but the Saints were like Sampras in Tennis - just keep coming back and playing mistake free.  Allow the other team to make mistakes (and they did). 

The saints were not better than the Vikes.  That's for sure, but they were much more mature and businesslike in their approach and in the end (with a little luck) they came out on top.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

"Whining about the OT rule is silly. If one team is truly better than the other, than that team should be able to win in regulation."

Once again, yet another poster that argues a point that has nothing to do with the overtime rules.  The point is, if it's tied after 4 quarters, both team should have an equal opportunity to score in OT.  There is absolutely no argument that justifies these current OT rules, not one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I actually like the idea of allowing ties in the regular season. It would play havoc with the standings and potentially leave more teams alive in the playoff race deeper into the season. In the playoffs, when the actual length of the game is less of a factor, simply play an extra period . . .  or however many it takes.

The NHL used to do this, and it was awesome.

Bruins fans of a certain age may remember the triple-overtime fog thriller against Edmonton in the Stanley Cup Finals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Glad the Dolts fan brought it up....Seems the NFL only looked at it last year AFTER the dolts lost.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

When football was a defensive outside game it made sense to have a sudden death overtime format like another low scoring sport, hockey.  Now it is more offensive minded and fewer big games (almost all Superbowls are played inside) are played outdoors in adverse conditions.  Therefore, the NFL should take on the mindset of other high scoring games, like basketball, and set a time limit for overtime as opposed to the first score (in the playoffs anyway).  Who among us wouldn't want an extra quarter of football?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

One thing that seems to be overlooked here is the effect of overtime on the precious network broadcast schedules. We all know the NFL doesn't want ties so giving the team that lost the coin toss a chance to match the opponent's score could result in games running a up to an hour past it's scheduled ending. That means either cutting away to the next game or delaying it's start. They could cut away and just keep the two team's areas but that would mean doubling up on satillite transponder rental time. Extending the late games means messing up the Sunday night prime time schedules. Remember it's ALWAYS about money and the bulk of the NFL's comes from the networks so it's really them who run the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

"I see nothing wrong with the rules. If your D can make a simple stop when they HAVE TO then you dont have an issue. And if your D cant make a simple stop in a game like the NFC championship game then you dont deserve a shot at the super bowl. Play D. "

Yet another argument that goes against the whole point.  It's not about the D making a stop.  You have a much better chance of scoring on offense than you do on defense.  It is simply not fair to allow one team that unfair advantage and not the other.  There is absolutely no argument that can defend the current overtime rules.  They are awful, ridiculous and not fair.  End of story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Good discussion.

I think the current format is fine but so many people seem to prefer the college system that my guess is it will eventually change to something like that.  If they do, it should be with no extra point attempts, just 2 point conversion trys.  Quaduple overtime is fine for college but this is the pros.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Killa your comment about a simple stop would be more valid if you had to score a TD to win. Given the range of today's kickers and the amount of games played indoors or in warm weather on artificial turf wiining on an FG is just too easy.

I must admit though I don't think I've ever seen as many botched FGs these playoffs as I've ever seen in past ones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Evil - They threw up a stat during the Vikings/Saints game.

Something like 83% of FGs were made during the regular season and that dropped to about 59% during the playoffs. Huge drop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't like the way OT is but whatever the solution is has to make it so it is nearly impossible to tie. 

I would suggest making the first possession in OT a known.  For instance whoever won the coin toss to start the game doesn't get to choose for OT.  For instance Minn won the toss to start the game so NO would choose whether they want to kick or receive in OT.  No doubt they would want to receive.  The effect of a rule like that would be less OT.  When Minn scores a TD at the end of the fourth Qtr to make it 27-28 they would then be faced with kicking the extra point to tie (knowing that if the game goes into OT the Saints will get the ball 1st) or go for a 2 point conversion so there is no OT.  I think it would make the games better at the end because teams would gamble on winning and going for TD's and 2 point conversions if they knew they would not get first possession in OT.  It would add a little more strategy. 

I also like the first team to 6 points suggestion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Well one solution would be to steal a page from Soccer and do something like alternate FGs from the 20, then the 30, etc. until one guy makes it and the other doesn't.  (This is not a serious suggestion and almost nobody likes how Soccer decides a winner).

My more radical, real suggestion would never fly, but would force a full 10 or 15 minute period.  I'm thinking 10 minutes because the players are gassed.  Right now everybody basically plays for the winning FG.  That's hardly exciting (unless it wins you 2/3 SBs).  I'd force the offense and defense to be aggressive.  Then, in addition to the normal point values we already know we would add a point for a sack, a fumble recovery by the opposing team, a forced punt, maybe a TD from outside the 30 yard line.  You could get pretty creative.  Like I said, it would never fly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

LMFAO!

A 40 yard K return to start OT, and you guys have teh nerve to blame the coin toss? 6 TO's in regulation, and a brain dead throw by Mr Ego Himself, and you blame the coin toss? No way! The 40 yard return was the ULTIMATE give away by teh Vikings. Sorry, they deserved to lose.

THis isn't "Soccer Mommy" stuff, where everyone gets the same chance to make things "fail". "Let's let BOTH teams go to Miami as NFC Champions!" Why, that seems to be "fair". Here's a clue, folks: All you have to do is stop the other guys. Giving up a 40 yard return is NOT a good thing. Proves how inept the Vikings were all game when it counted/mattered.

I look at Sunday's game this way: The Vikings FINALLY put themselves out of our misery.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

All you whiners about the NFL OT rule:

Who throttled the Siants offense all game? Who gave up less than 275 total yards to the highest ranked offense? Who played tough wile the offense played Santa in Christmas Redeux all game? IT WAS THE VIKING DEFENSE!

Yet, because they lost the toss and gakked a 40 yard return, teh OT rule is now "bad".

Stop cryin'. Your Ovaltine is getting salty and diluted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Evil,

Do you think that any defensive coordinator, position coach, or assistant gives any thought to what field position means is SUDDEN DEATH OT situations? How about the players? What about that splendid special team effort that gakked the kickoff return?

But let's blame the coin toss. You play like that and you don't deserve to touch the ball in OT. They had a "now or never" situation and failed miserably. They only deserve to go back home and stake out a nice spot for their ice fishing shack...... dropping their line is..... and cry about the one that got away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

ny,

Figures a hairbrained idea like your comes out of NY. GO FIGURE! Instead of having two teams battling ont eh field to try and stop the other guys, you want to make it a liong drawn out afair, without any defense to be played. Great! Not a complete game to be played in OT! What a concept! You could lose a game because you kicker isn't as prolific as the other. Not other consideration need apply.....

LMFAO!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's a lot worse when both teams have great offenses and poor defenses.  In that case, the overtime coin flip is the ballgame.  Just cheer if your team wins the flip, boo if they don't, then quickly exit the stadium and beat the rush home.

Sections
Shortcuts