The Odds are in the Jets' favor....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Odds are in the Jets' favor....

We are all confident the Pats will continue their winning way against the Jets in NJ tomorrow.  Unlike Jets fans, though, we are not putting all our season eggs into one basket like we are seeing from their end.  With that said, a loss here wouldn't hurt given this is a 16 game season and odds favor the Jets to break this 8 game skid at home against the Pats.  Every year the Jets and their fans say "This is the game we beat the Pats, embarrass them too!".  Fingers are crossed they may be right!  Well, it it happens, it is ONE game on the road to the SB for the Pats.  The more important destination is getting to the SB than winning one game in NJ against the Jets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor....

Umm, there are no odds that indicate that this game is in the Jets favor because the Pats have won 8 in a row at NJ. Otherwise, as Vegas has the Pats , I am not sure what odds you are trying to convey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

It seems to me that teams that brag before a game are the same teams that play the blame game when they lose.  Its the refs, its the offense, its the kicker.....
    When a coach lets this go on he is gambling with losing the locker room.  More potential downside than upside with this strategy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from iclaudius. Show iclaudius's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor....:
    ...When a coach lets this go on he is gambling with losing the locker room.  More potential downside than upside with this strategy.  
    Posted by bostatewarrior

Good point, Warrior

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

I agree with Enoch that the fact the Jets have lost 8 in a row at home to the Pats doesn't mean much. 

Having said that, the Jets are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to win.  The Jets haven't done d**k in God knows how long; they barely managed to squeak out a season split with the Pats last year after Brady went down.  I just don't get where this Jets swagger comes from.  When was the last time the Jets "embarassed" the Pats? The Jets just seem to expend so much energy over the Pats; when they squeaked out the OT the win over the Cassel Pats in Foxboro last year, it was like they acted like just won the Superbowl.  Shortly thereafter, the Jets collapsed. It's a long season, and the odds are the Jets won't be in the playoffs once it ends.

Go ahead and weigh in Leon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Remember BB's skill at confusing rookie QBs. Sanchez has a great debut last week but I'm thinking that this might be his real "welcome to the NFL rook" week, as he picks himself up off the ground 5 or 6 times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Since we've beaten them 8 times in a row in NJ, the odds are in their favor. If we can beat them 22 more times in a row in NJ, imagine how much the odds in their favor will increase.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

In Response to The Odds are in the Jets' favor....:
    We are all confident the Pats will continue their winning way against the Jets in NJ tomorrow.  Unlike Jets fans, though, we are not putting all our season eggs into one basket like we are seeing from their end.  With that said, a loss here wouldn't hurt given this is a 16 game season and odds favor the Jets to break this 8 game skid at home against the Pats.  Every year the Jets and their fans say "This is the game we beat the Pats, embarrass them too!".  Fingers are crossed they may be right!  Well, it it happens, it is ONE game on the road to the SB for the Pats.  The more important destination is getting to the SB than winning one game in NJ against the Jets.
    Posted by agcsbill

Maybe that's why the Jests haven't even had a sniff of a SB in forty years. They think it's played in September!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : Maybe that's why the Jests haven't even had a sniff of a SB in forty years. They think it's played in September!!
    Posted by ricky1554atl

Well spotted!~

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Since we've beaten them 8 times in a row in NJ, the odds are in their favor. If we can beat them 22 more times in a row in NJ, imagine how much the odds in their favor will increase.
    Posted by Yapple

I hope you are kidding.

Each game is mutually exclusive which means the outcome of each is dependent on the factors present when they play the game and not an any previous or future games. I think you are trying to claim the so-called "law of averages" which is non-existent.

It would be different if, 9 seasons ago you said that the Pats would win 9 in a row at NJ. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The only odds I see in the Jets favor is that a streak ends sooner or later.  Could this be the time it ends?  Who knows, but from past experience another team calling out the Pats has never been a good idea.... Remember the Steelers game!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The only odds I see in the Jets favor is that a streak ends sooner or later.  Could this be the time it ends?  Who knows, but from past experience another team calling out the Pats has never been a good idea.... Remember the Steelers game!
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Still again, there is no statistical basis for this.

Think if the Pats played a serious game against Northeastern for the last 50 years and won each game. Would you think that the Huskies had a chance this year because they were "due"? I would hope not. You would look at the factors in each teams favor as they came into the game and come to a decision as to who was favored.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Not so dayum fast!

If Kris Jenkins is out this week its a win the Pats. Bart Scott is So overrated its a shame.Anyone who plays w/ Ray Lewis should pay him an agents fee, because he has made more careers than Boston College.Their defense hasn't improved, its just gotten louder.All that talk is cheap.It will prove to be a horrid decision.I dont get it!You would have wonder, why a coach would let his team give BB & Co. any extra incentive of smacking them around.We saw the 'real' Brady in the final 2 minutes last Monday.He did it to Pittsburgh in '07(which many would agree is better than the '09 Jets) and he'll show & prove Sunday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : Still again, there is no statistical basis for this. Think if the Pats played a serious game against Northeastern for the last 50 years and won each game. Would you think that the Huskies had a chance this year because they were "due"? I would hope not. You would look at the factors in each teams favor as they came into the game and come to a decision as to who was favored.
    Posted by EnochRoot

Apples and oranges my friend, Huskies are not the Jets.  We are talking about on any given Sunday one PRO team can beat another...Well unless we are talking about the Lions vs The Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : Still again, there is no statistical basis for this. Think if the Pats played a serious game against Northeastern for the last 50 years and won each game. Would you think that the Huskies had a chance this year because they were "due"? I would hope not. You would look at the factors in each teams favor as they came into the game and come to a decision as to who was favored.
    Posted by EnochRoot

This blows holes in my system to win the lotto. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoburnPaulie. Show WoburnPaulie's posts

The Pats pass rush will be key in this one. Get ready for the emergence of one Tully Banta-Cain. Remember you heard it here first friends. This guy will have a monster game...AND SEASON!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by EnochRoot

A more accurate anology would be flipping a coin, where the outcome is exactly 50/50. Obviously, NFL teams are not exactly even with each other but much more so than NFL (not counting the lions) v any college team. If you flipped 50 times and got 50 heads, I'd say (and so would the law of averages) that you're about due for a tails.
    However, I don't think this means much for any given NFL team v NFL the same team over a period of years. Every year each team is significantly different than the year before, so the odds of the outcome change, too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

As far as odds go, they remain the same 50-50. It doesn't matter how many times you win or lose, the next game is still 50-50.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

50-50 is only accurate for the playoff games

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

it is always 50% for a coin toss- even if it was tails 50 billion times in a row the next flip is 50/50 it will be heads or tails.

The jets are not due anything, and i hope the pats prove they are the better team.

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : A more accurate anology would be flipping a coin, where the outcome is exactly 50/50. Obviously, NFL teams are not exactly even with each other but much more so than NFL (not counting the lions) v any college team. If you flipped 50 times and got 50 heads, I'd say (and so would the law of averages) that you're about due for a tails. However, I don't think this means much for any given NFL team v NFL the same team over a period of years. Every year each team is significantly different than the year before, so the odds of the outcome change, too.
    Posted by unclealfie

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : Apples and oranges my friend, Huskies are not the Jets.  We are talking about on any given Sunday one PRO team can beat another...Well unless we are talking about the Lions vs The Pats.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

<sigh>

That was an extreme example for folks who still try and believe that the loser of a streak is somehow "due". You are right about "any given Sunday", but that only serves to demonstrate that a streak doesn't need to end and re-emphasizes that each game is mutually exclusive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... : A more accurate anology would be flipping a coin, where the outcome is exactly 50/50. Obviously, NFL teams are not exactly even with each other but much more so than NFL (not counting the lions) v any college team. If you flipped 50 times and got 50 heads, I'd say (and so would the law of averages) that you're about due for a tails. However, I don't think this means much for any given NFL team v NFL the same team over a period of years. Every year each team is significantly different than the year before, so the odds of the outcome change, too.
    Posted by unclealfie

Once again, there is absolutely no such thing statistically as the "law of averages". It is a concept brought about by people with a poor understanding (or in gambler's situations, a superstition) of probability.

Look it up. I am not making it up.

And, you are also repeating what I have already said - each game is mutually exclusive of each game preceding it and following it. Each game is a singular event where the outcome resides on the factors influencing both teams at that point in time. Oddly, that is also in direct opposition to the thought that the Jets are somehow due for a win because they lost 8 in a row in NJ. But you are stating both are true. 

The funny thing is, the Jets won the last game in the overall regular season series. Does that mean they are now due to lose?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deanthedream. Show Deanthedream's posts

it is always 50% for a coin toss- even if it was tails 50 billion times in a row the next flip is 50/50 it will be heads or tails. The jets are not due anything, and i hope the pats prove they are the better team. In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... :
    Posted by ctpat

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deanthedream. Show Deanthedream's posts

In Response to Re: The Odds are in the Jets' favor.... :
    Posted by Deanthedream

Your logic and your mathematics are flawed. If a heads/tails flip were made
    and came up heads a large number of times--say, 5,000 in a row--then there is something other than chance involved. The coin could be weighted to fall with the head side up, or the flip could be calibrated to rotate a fixed number of times at each toss. So your proper bet would be to call heads for flip number 5001.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

As far as odds go, they remain the same 50-50. It doesn't matter how many times you win or lose, the next game is still 50-50.
    Posted by rtuinila

For football that is certainly not true. One team generally is considered to have some advantage over the other. If both teams had an equal chance of winning, then Vegas wouldn't need to set points, they would just have them as a toss-up.

Sections
Shortcuts