The official let Welker walk thread...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: The official let Welker walk thread...

Top receiver money for butterfingers in the playoffs is stupid. Run along now Wes, and go join Asante. Thanks for the (bad ) memories.

(Actually I love the guy, but if you're not reliable when it's all on the line you need to be playing elsewhere.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Top receiver money for butterfingers in the playoffs is stupid. Run along now Wes, and go join Asante. Thanks for the (bad ) memories.

(Actually I love the guy, but if you're not reliable when it's all on the line you need to be playing elsewhere.)

We actually agree on something!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to jam757's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Problem is not Welker's, it's that TB is having a hard time for what ever reason finding other alternatives on a consistent basis. A player can only catch what is thrown to him. It's not his fault that the offense keeps coming his way. If you want to see less Wleker catches don't trade or let him go, find complimentary alternatives.

I think the issue is not just Brady finding alternatives. I think that when Gronk is out, there a zero players out there who can be thrown to in coverage. Not just Welker, but the whole WR crew is undersized. Hernandez is an undersized TE (other teams have WRs who are bigger than him).

I just think this offensive philosophy of little guys running around in space piles up stats for Brady in the regular season, but good defenses have figured out how to slow it down enough to beat the Patriots. 

I think it is time to rethink the offensive philosophy. I am not talking run-pass ratio. I am talking the offense predicated on small wide receivers catching the ball mostly on screens and 3-5 yards patterns and hoping to make defensive players miss. 

Someone else had mentioned it but it's time to take a flyer on a draft pick at WR maybe in the 3rd or 4th round. We need a big young kid who can run really fast. I know, probably a 10% chance of panning out but you never know. We've got megabucks tied up at the TE position so I don't see any high profile WR's coming here in free agency. I want to see more touches for Vareen next year!

Not like they haven't done that.

PK Sam 5th round

Bethal Johnson 2nd round

Chad Jackson 2nd Round

Mathew Slater 5th round

Brandon Tate 3rd round

Taylor Price 3rd round

Hasn't worked out so well.

Not saying you never try again. Just reminding.

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

When you drop two key passes in back to back years that cost the patriots the game, it's hard for fans to find the love to want to keep him.

When I see big WR's jumping high and catching balls that propel their teams to victory, that's what i want.

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Well, I did say about a 10% sucess rate so maybe we are due and it's time to try again. That is an ugly list though...VERY UGLY. I wouldn't even be upset if we simply drafted ALL defense again. There are some players that I never want to see on this team again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Edelman is no lock to be back himself, he's a UFA. I can see someone making him an offer that the Pats decide is too rich.  If he can stay healthy he can do pretty much everything Cobb does for Green Bay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Worst thread since the 'Good Riddance Randy Moss" thread a few years back.  Please remind me how that worked out for the Pats.  I remember many people here liked that move!  You understand it cost the Patriots a SB.. or Two!!  Now these let Welker go threads keep coming up.  I can see it now, Welker leaves the Pats, the offense struggles and you people post more threads crying about how bad the offense looks and how they can't get another Super Bowl.  It's never ending!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Edelman is no lock to be back himself, he's a UFA. I can see someone making him an offer that the Pats decide is too rich.  If he can stay healthy he can do pretty much everything Cobb does for Green Bay.

Really?  You think there will be some interest in Edelman? I don't see it.  And if there it I serously doubt it will be  for much money.  Who would spend much money for a guy to go in as a limited role player for them?  He certainly won't go anywhere and be a big role player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Speaking of Edelman... There were a bunch of threads at the begining of the season saying Edelman can take Welkers spot.  That is the whole problem with this team!!  The Patriots are loaded with over achievers who are coached up to play certain roles in a system offense.  The team needs talented players!!  Not over achievers who wouldn't be playing for any of the other 31 teams. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Really?  You think there will be some interest in Edelman? I don't see it.  And if there it I serously doubt it will be  for much money.  Who would spend much money for a guy to go in as a limited role player for them?  He certainly won't go anywhere and be a big role player.

I'm sure he'll get some interest. Outstanding returner, great open field skills, good hands. Hasn't gotten much play in NE, but the ability is there. All it takes is for one team to be interested and he'll be gone.  I'm not saying he's all-pro or anything, but his injury was a big loss. Not Gronk big, but it was felt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Worst thread since the 'Good Riddance Randy Moss" thread a few years back.  Please remind me how that worked out for the Pats.  I remember many people here liked that move!  You understand it cost the Patriots a SB.. or Two!!  Now these let Welker go threads keep coming up.  I can see it now, Welker leaves the Pats, the offense struggles and you people post more threads crying about how bad the offense looks and how they can't get another Super Bowl.  It's never ending!

HUGE difference. Moss was not going to get the huge bucks Wes wants and he didn't have a history of dropping the Lombardi.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

How did getting rid of Randy Moss cost the Patriots a Super Bowl?

With him on the team, the lost a Super Bowl, missed the playoffs, and lost in the wild card round. Without him, they lost in the divisional round, lost a Super Bowl and lost an AFC championship game.

My argument for letting Welker go is that the offense as currently design is going to keep running into defenses it cannot beat in the playoffs. I do not want to let him walk and put some other guy in his slot role. I want them to rethink the style of offense that piles up regular season points and yards against average and bad teams, and then runs into a brick wall in the playoffs.

2007 - 36.8 ppg - 14 points in Super Bowl

2009 - 26.7 ppg - 14 points in loss to Ravens

2010 - 32.4 ppg - 21 points in loss to Jets

2011 - 32.1 ppg - 17 points in Super Bowl

2012 - 34.8 ppg - 13 points in loss to Ravens

Three of those teams (2007, 2010, 2012) led the NFL in scoring and could not score when need in the postseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well these past two years, welker has had two huge drops he wont ever forget...but he still is a big part of the offense and will be missed if he is let go. if he demands top receiver money, cut him loose and get someone else....my opinion may change on this obviously depending on who is available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

When you drop two key passes in back to back years that cost the patriots the game, it's hard for fans to find the love to want to keep him.

When I see big WR's jumping high and catching balls that propel their teams to victory, that's what i want.

Wes Welker drop was bad, but it did not lose the game. It happened at like the beginning of the third quarter. Sorry, but the Pats were in the lead at the time and had over a quarter and a half to recover.

The Ravens overcame a late season 3 game losing streak, a bunch of injuries and 2 Trindon Holliday TDs. If the Pats can't overcome a 3rd quarter drop when they have the lead, then they probably weren't mentally tough enough to beat the Ravens anyways, let alone the 49ers.

Which WR propelled the 49ers to win against ATL?

Welker is a matchup nightmare, especially since a lot of #1 CBs are not comfortable playing nickel. The problem is that Gronk got hurt and Branch is useless.

Pats don't need to overpay for a probowl WR. They just need to find a replacement for Branch. I wouldn't mind resigning Welker and trying to find a guy similar to James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders (i.e. a receiver who can actually take advantage of winning single man coverage)

The Pats already have a lot of money tied up in Gronk and Hern. At least with Welker they might be able to get away with a 2 year deal or a franchise tag. Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, Cruz will all be seeking 4+

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Wes Welker drop was bad, but it did not lose the game.

Didn't lose the game but shifted momentum dramatically at a critical juncture. Face it, Wes has choked in big games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Wes Welker drop was bad, but it did not lose the game. It happened at like the beginning of the third quarter. Sorry, but the Pats were in the lead at the time and had over a quarter and a half to recover.

The Ravens overcame a late season 3 game losing streak, a bunch of injuries and 2 Trindon Holliday TDs. If the Pats can't overcome a 3rd quarter drop when they have the lead, then they probably weren't mentally tough enough to beat the Ravens anyways, let alone the 49ers.

Which WR propelled the 49ers to win against ATL?

Welker is a matchup nightmare, especially since a lot of #1 CBs are not comfortable playing nickel. The problem is that Gronk got hurt and Branch is useless.

Pats don't need to overpay for a probowl WR. They just need to find a replacement for Branch. I wouldn't mind resigning Welker and trying to find a guy similar to James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders (i.e. a receiver who can actually take advantage of winning single man coverage)

The Pats already have a lot of money tied up in Gronk and Hern. At least with Welker they might be able to get away with a 2 year deal or a franchise tag. Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, Cruz will all be seeking 4+

I completely agree with them not needed a pro bowl player at WR, they need bigger, faster player. This offense based on little guys and valuing "quickness" over speed has done all it can.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Didn't lose the game but shifted momentum dramatically at a critical juncture. Face it, Wes has choked in big games.

the whole offense has choked in big games. the welker drops, hernandez staying in bounds with 26 seconds left and one timeout left...brady throwing int's all the time...going back to 2007, maroney fumbling at the goalling...etc. cant blame it all on wes. game may have been a bigger blowout if he hadnt been catching passes like he was that game.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

the whole offense has choked in big games. the welker drops, hernandez staying in bounds with 26 seconds left and one timeout left...brady throwing int's all the time...going back to 2007, maroney fumbling at the goalling...etc. cant blame it all on wes. game may have been a bigger blowout if he hadnt been catching passes like he was that game.

Whatever you say. Obviously you know your stuff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I don't want to see Welker anywhere else, but I want the team, Brady, and Welker all to come to the same conclusion I have...that he's not a solid #1 and shouldn't be paid like it.  He's wilted in big spots of regular season games this year and of course the playoffs.

Side note...he gets knocked around quite a bit.  Maybe being a pinball is effecting him more than is generally let on.

I'm also going to put some blame on the Pats here....who else are they going to have catching passes?  They haven't developed a receiver since Branch and Givens came into the league in 2002.  Edelman has been a nice project...you know, when he's not missing half the damn season for spiking the football too hard (in baltimore).  Amendola who is the other Welker clone out there can't stay healthy either. 

Hartline wouldn't be a bad signing, but we need a stout, tall receiver who can go get it.  I'm not sure who that is...not yet anyways.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Wes still makes plays though.

Moss did not show up for any of the playoff games.

Gronk literally has not shown up.

Lloyd also had a third drown drop where he just tripped over himself.

Hern has a similar Y/A as Welker but does not produce as much as him.

Brady had a brainfart in the last Super Bowl (safety) and in this game (end of the first half). I also think that deep lob to a Gronk on one leg was a bad decision in last seasons Super Bowl.

The whole offense has been choking in the playoffs. Despite that, at least Welker still put up over 100 yards. In fact, had the Patriots won Super Bowl 42, Wes stood a fair chance of winning MVP for that game.

Choking in the playoff is a mental thing. And right now, I don't think it's soley a Wes Welker thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

How did getting rid of Randy Moss cost the Patriots a Super Bowl?

You need to come around a little bore More and start paying attention.  They missed the playoffs because Brady was out.  They lost in the Wild Card Round because Welker was out.  See, the thing is had the kept Moss in 2010 it was Super Bowl City.. Back to back to back even!!  They had Welker for the short to mid field, Moss for the deep field, Gronk and Hernandez.. this was the Patriots dream team from Brady's perspective.  So many choices, Brady would have been like a kid in a candy store.  The field would have been wide open.  Once Moss left the Pats did pretty good until the Jets realized that there was no deep threat so they cut the field in half and played all the short stuff.  No need to worry about anything deep... Moss was gone!  Had Moss stayed it would have been glorious!!  With this offense you need threats for the 3 areas of the field, D cant cover everything.  So since Moss left there was no deep threat!  Playing with a limited field, easier to stop the passing attack!  Plain and simple!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Whatever you say. Obviously you know your stuff.

well if you really want him gone because of the drops, than i guess i can see that view and it is a popular opinion right now. i just think he is important to the pats, he really is a white version of troy brown for this offense. obviously welker is more expensive though which really sucks. i would be fine with them getting rid of welker if they get a top receiver instead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I agree with many of your posts but this is a bad analogy. Moss had completely worn out his welcome in NE and brought his BAD attitude to Minnesota and Tennessee where he was a complete BUST. I thank the guy for what he did here but it was time for Moss to go. He was acting childish and silly with his post game antics and being mostly INVISIBLE on the field. Look, I want them to keep Welker some way some how but I don't see the Pats outbidding other teams. Pats fans will soon find out how important he is to this offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Moss did not show up for any of the playoff games.

Well, other than showing up to score what would have been the winning TD in the '07 SB if the D didn't collapse. Astonishingly, he didn't drop it.

Sections
Shortcuts