The Only Way to Find out If it can be effective is to try: Talib 1 on 1 with Wayne

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: The Only Way to Find out If it can be effective is to try: Talib 1 on 1 with Wayne

In response to shenanigan's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I really don't see Belichick changing his defensive philosophy for a guy that is probably nothing more than a solid player.

This I agree with. Talib's success or failure will coming from being part of the defense, not having it changed around him.

yes i agree with both of you with what likely bb will do.

however i believe the defense would be better playing pres with d and t, and that it is a misuse of dennard and talib to play them in a soft zone from now thru the playoffs

I think we may see more of it, but I doubt we will see a fundamental change of philosophy. No team really runs one defense or coverage play after play. It become too easy to read. I think Dennard may be good at tighter coverage, but again, is there enough evidence to prove that. The coaching staff has not felt comfortable having him do it more than the other CBs this year.

i watched him and to my eyes he looked better in press.

Honestly, I just hope they start playing enough press coverage to really find out...

that was the reason i stated in doing so in my original post

I guess I am just more pessimistic about it actually happening... I thought after the St. Louis game we were going to see more blitzing and a more agressive defensive attitude in general, but against Buffalo they went back to soft-zones and no blitzing.

actually if i havent communicsted it, i am pessimistic. bb is stubborn as hell. 

im rooting for it though

Your pessimism has been clearly communicated.

your intention to distort does not become you . we are talking about whther bb will play more press man this week than zone. but thanks for being upstanding to your fellow patriot bdc members

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: The Only Way to Find out If it can be effective is to try: Talib 1 on 1 with Wayne

In response to shenanigan's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I really don't see Belichick changing his defensive philosophy for a guy that is probably nothing more than a solid player.

This I agree with. Talib's success or failure will coming from being part of the defense, not having it changed around him.

yes i agree with both of you with what likely bb will do.

however i believe the defense would be better playing pres with d and t, and that it is a misuse of dennard and talib to play them in a soft zone from now thru the playoffs

I think we may see more of it, but I doubt we will see a fundamental change of philosophy. No team really runs one defense or coverage play after play. It become too easy to read. I think Dennard may be good at tighter coverage, but again, is there enough evidence to prove that. The coaching staff has not felt comfortable having him do it more than the other CBs this year.

i watched him and to my eyes he looked better in press.

Honestly, I just hope they start playing enough press coverage to really find out...

that was the reason i stated in doing so in my original post

I guess I am just more pessimistic about it actually happening... I thought after the St. Louis game we were going to see more blitzing and a more agressive defensive attitude in general, but against Buffalo they went back to soft-zones and no blitzing.

actually if i havent communicsted it, i am pessimistic. bb is stubborn as hell. 

im rooting for it though

Your pessimism has been clearly communicated.

your intention to distort does not become you . we are talking about whther bb will play more press man this week than zone. but thanks for being upstanding to your fellow patriot bdc members

It was not an attempt to distort, I was letting you know that you most cetainly have communicated your eternal pessimism to everyone on this board. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

You know why the Giants are doing well at this time its because Coughlin got it. Its a different game than it was even 10 years ago. WO's have the advantage on almost evey single play in passing situations. Keep focusing on DB's in TODAYS NFL, and their failure to cover is happening throughout the league. Every game, that I watch.

You know what hasn't changed or no advantage to the Offense is, its rushing the QB. I'll bet if you look at the Top 8 Pass Defenses in the NFL, that they have a heck of a D-Line, they put good pressure on the QB, or have good schemes. Dont look at DB's.

Thats why Coughlin got it, he understands that the only rule that is Old School is attacking the QB. You cant change the new rules on Pass Coverage. He put together a D-Line that puts tremendous pressure on QB, doesn't have to blitz as much, and drops all into coverage.

To me a blown or terrible coverage in todays NFL, is when the QB is getting pressured and then a reciever is wide open. To me too much advantage for the Offensive side especially in passing situations with the rules.

After all isn't that what the Pats are doing on the Offensive side, taking advantage of new rules.

I agree to a certain extent. The way you play defense has certainly changed over time. There are still ways to cover guys. The 49ers give up the fewest points in the NFL, but at 21st in total sacks while Denver leads the league in total sacks, but is giving up a touchdown more per game than the 49ers.

There is more to playing pass defense than just putting pressure on the QB. You still need to be able to cover players to a certain extent and that is where the Patriots are still behind the curve.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

You know why the Giants are doing well at this time its because Coughlin got it. Its a different game than it was even 10 years ago. WO's have the advantage on almost evey single play in passing situations. Keep focusing on DB's in TODAYS NFL, and their failure to cover is happening throughout the league. Every game, that I watch.

You know what hasn't changed or no advantage to the Offense is, its rushing the QB. I'll bet if you look at the Top 8 Pass Defenses in the NFL, that they have a heck of a D-Line, they put good pressure on the QB, or have good schemes. Dont look at DB's.

Thats why Coughlin got it, he understands that the only rule that is Old School is attacking the QB. You cant change the new rules on Pass Coverage. He put together a D-Line that puts tremendous pressure on QB, doesn't have to blitz as much, and drops all into coverage.

To me a blown or terrible coverage in todays NFL, is when the QB is getting pressured and then a reciever is wide open. To me too much advantage for the Offensive side especially in passing situations with the rules.

After all isn't that what the Pats are doing on the Offensive side, taking advantage of new rules.

i hear ya (to a point. there is still a diff bewtween good cbs adn bad ones).

that is why i want to use future picks to trade up and get 2 monsters this year 1 dt adn 1 de, and come awqay with a center who can win in pass and run blcking too

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would beg to differ. Some teams that have, in the past few seasons, had top 5 pass defenses did it with corners. The Jests, for one. 

The idea of running press coverage on every play is just funny though. It would take an opposing coach about one quarter to adjust to that with some fades, come backs, picks, slot play, motion, etc. 

NE runs enough 'press' to get the job done. Given the quality of the corners, and how terrible thy are at playing with their back to the QB, doing it more often would take the pass defense from leaky to disasterous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I kind of agree with the guy that said the defensive line is the biggest thing. When you look back on some of our teams that had good defenses, we had all first round picks starting on the line (Seymore, Warren and Wilfork). At times we could pressure with just for guys - now we can't. Being able to pressure with four guys has really helped the Giants (it helped us against the Rams and Philly in those Super Bowls...and I know the D line didn't have all those first rounders on it against the Rams, but they pressured with 4).

The Jets are definetely one of those defenses whose strength is the coners...Miami was like that 10 years ago (it was very hard to throw on them). Either style or strength of defense is hard to come by - pass rushers don't grow on trees and neither do corners, but I can still remember us subbing in Troy Brown and Edelman as coners...you don't see that happening for pass rushers.

Sections
Shortcuts