The Option Offense is here to stay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

The Option Offense is here to stay

Watching the Super Bowl between the Ravens and 49ers, I felt like the 49ers should have used the option when they were 5 yards short of taking the lead and winning their 6th Super Bowl Trophy and tying the Steelers. Even if defensive coaches and players have a full offseason to prepare for the formation, they will not be able to stop the option. The reason is that the Option offense is not the full playbook, its just part of the offenses (such as the 49ers) add to the game plan that makes defenses have to prepare for one more element and think more. The other thing is that when its an athletic quarterback such Colin Kaepernick who's a quarterback that can run, you as a defense have to play him honest because you can't sell out on the run. The problem is not stopping the option, its preparing for when they run it because it can catch a defense at anytime. No matter how much you prepare for the option, you don't know when its going to be used and that's why the option is here to stay. When you have quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, RGIII, and some of the quarterbacks in this draft that can run both a traditional offense and option offense, they are the ultimate weapon. I know its crazy to say this, but Tim Tebow (in a way) opened the door for option quarterbacks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: The Option Offense is here to stay

Injury potential

RGIII   his future??? Lets see history on Koepernick, Griffin, I'll take Luck over the long run.

Great option QBs in college are Heisman winners .  NFL resume??,

Defensive speed and talent in the NFL minimizes their effect.

How about Michael Bishop ( NE), Andre Ware, Vince Young,

Ill give you Cam Newton  but he is what 6ft 5 in 240lbs  but I dont think Carolina really does option plays regualrly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I can't say that it will have long term success as a base. But yes, my guess is more teams will be using it heavily every now and then depending if it makes sense vs the opponent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Its going to last longer than the wildcat... but Defenses r gonna contain it very well this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Injury. You are putting the most critical part of your offense into situations where he is much more likely to take crushing hits and has NO official protection. Having a QB who is able to scramble is great, having one for whom you design 10+ running plays per game is suicidal over the course of a career.

It is like putting Hernadez in the backfield and designing running plays for him - great gimmick and effective a few times a year, but do you really want to expose a prime receiver to those hits more frequently? And now teams are planning to do that to their QB. When your tight end goes down with injury you have 'next man up' built into your roster. When your starting QB goes down, you start planning for next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You have Frank Gore. Run the d---n ball. The read option only works when you have the element of surprise, when you don't you get crushed (see BB vs. Tebow-led Broncos). The difference between Kapernick and Tebow is that 1) Kapernick is much faster 2) Kapernick is very good at actually throwing the ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Greg Cosell a senior producer at NFL films who has probably watched more tape than anyone alive sums up the option or pistol offense nicely in this piece: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cosell-running-quarterbacks-great-throwing-pocket-still-best-165937022--nfl.html

TLDR this offense is not new nor is it a gimmick.  The key point is that nothing has changed about the QB position.  You still need to be able to throw consistently from the pocket to be a successful NFL QB (even if you don't in college).  The "evolution" is simply that there are a few guys who are excellent passers AND running threats and that offenses are leveraging the threat of the QB as a runner to stress defenses even more.  It is not going anywhere anytime soon unless these new QBs regress as passers (ala Newton this year).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I do not like the option in the pro game for the reasons already stated.  Subjecting the QB to a crushing hit (and make no mistake, when defenses get a chance to take out a QB, they will) just doesn't make sense to me.  Even Brady will run when it is advantageious to do so but to specifically design option plays to run against pro defenses does not strike me as a recipe for long term success.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I do not like the option in the pro game for the reasons already stated.  Subjecting the QB to a crushing hit (and make no mistake, when defenses get a chance to take out a QB, they will) just doesn't make sense to me.  Even Brady will run when it is advantageious to do so but to specifically design option plays to run against pro defenses does not strike me as a recipe for long term success.

I think the key counterargument to this point is from the article I posted:

"That mobility is the initial mechanism by which the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins and Panthers structure components of their offense; it’s the means, not the end. The read option is a concept and scheme that exploits the quarterback’s running ability to dictate tactical stress and uncertainty in the defense. It’s a strategically efficient manner by which to create better opportunities in both the running game and the passing game. What few acknowledge is that it can be highly disruptive to the defense even without the quarterback running. Kaepernick did not run the ball once out of the Pistol-read option against Atlanta in the NFC Championship game. Neither did Wilson against the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff. But he did throw for 385 yards, and led the Seahawks to four second-half touchdowns."

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

I think the key counterargument to this point is from the article I posted:

"That mobility is the initial mechanism by which the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins and Panthers structure components of their offense; it’s the means, not the end. The read option is a concept and scheme that exploits the quarterback’s running ability to dictate tactical stress and uncertainty in the defense. It’s a strategically efficient manner by which to create better opportunities in both the running game and the passing game. What few acknowledge is that it can be highly disruptive to the defense even without the quarterback running. Kaepernick did not run the ball once out of the Pistol-read option against Atlanta in the NFC Championship game. Neither did Wilson against the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff. But he did throw for 385 yards, and led the Seahawks to four second-half touchdowns."

I understand and acknowledge the counterargument.  However, unless the QB actually takes off and runs on occasion defenses won't be as likely to feel compelled to account for it.  And if he does take off and run stand by for the heavy hits.  

Just my view of it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Injury. You are putting the most critical part of your offense into situations where he is much more likely to take crushing hits and has NO official protection. Having a QB who is able to scramble is great, having one for whom you design 10+ running plays per game is suicidal over the course of a career.

It is like putting Hernadez in the backfield and designing running plays for him - great gimmick and effective a few times a year, but do you really want to expose a prime receiver to those hits more frequently? And now teams are planning to do that to their QB. When your tight end goes down with injury you have 'next man up' built into your roster. When your starting QB goes down, you start planning for next year.

The thing is that he' sgot to be smart and get down to avoid injury. RGIII tries to fight for that extra yard and that's how he got injured. Colin Kaepernick is being smart and not putting himself in harms way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

You have Frank Gore. Run the d---n ball. The read option only works when you have the element of surprise, when you don't you get crushed (see BB vs. Tebow-led Broncos). The difference between Kapernick and Tebow is that 1) Kapernick is much faster 2) Kapernick is very good at actually throwing the ball.

They have ran the football with Frank Gore, LaMichael James, and Kendall Hunter in both the option and traditional offense. Like I said, the option is just another added element to the offenses game plan. The Atlanta Falcons knew the option was coming in that NFC Championship Game, but they still couldn't stop when it was ran.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

One thing for sure is that the pats won't be running any option plays with old concrete shoes Brady behind the center.

The only time he gets happy feet is late in the game after taking a few on the chin. he plays like he's going to get hit or hurt.

At least he's curbed that little hissy fit he used to do every time a defender would even brush up against him. Rememer him looking at the ref pleading for a flag to be thrown. Very emasculating. I'm glad somebody from the organization explained to him just how soft he looked doing it.

It's football there golden Boy and evey now and again you're going to get hit!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

Watching the Super Bowl between the Ravens and 49ers, I felt like the 49ers should have used the option when they were 5 yards short of taking the lead and winning their 6th Super Bowl Trophy and tying the Steelers. Even if defensive coaches and players have a full offseason to prepare for the formation, they will not be able to stop the option. The reason is that the Option offense is not the full playbook, its just part of the offenses (such as the 49ers) add to the game plan that makes defenses have to prepare for one more element and think more. The other thing is that when its an athletic quarterback such Colin Kaepernick who's a quarterback that can run, you as a defense have to play him honest because you can't sell out on the run. The problem is not stopping the option, its preparing for when they run it because it can catch a defense at anytime. No matter how much you prepare for the option, you don't know when its going to be used and that's why the option is here to stay. When you have quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, RGIII, and some of the quarterbacks in this draft that can run both a traditional offense and option offense, they are the ultimate weapon. I know its crazy to say this, but Tim Tebow (in a way) opened the door for option quarterbacks.

maybe but the Wild Cat and Run and Shoot (especially) were "here to stay" too

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It may or may not last, we'll have to wait and see. But the Patriots piled up a league high 557 points, followed by Denver with 481. I think the old school pocket QBs can still succeed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

It may or may not last, we'll have to wait and see. But the Patriots piled up a league high 557 points, followed by Denver with 481. I think the old school pocket QBs can still succeed. 

I think the common misconception is that the pistol or read option is some kind of new offense.  It is not.  In order to be a successul QB you must be able to pass from the pocket.  The reason why Kap, Wilson and RGIII could run the offenses they did was because of their passing ability.  The read option simply leverages their ability to run as a way to stress the defense.  It does not replace the need for them to pass consistently from the pocket.  It is not that much different than play action.  It is simply a way to try and fool the defense and force them to maintain gap discipline.  You still have to be a good pocket passer to be a successful QB in the NFL.  That will never change.  There just aren't that many guys that have that kind of passing ability and running ability.  There will always be a place for guys like Tom Brady in the NFL slow-footed and all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I think the common misconception is that the pistol or read option is some kind of new offense.  It is not.  In order to be a successul QB you must be able to pass from the pocket.  The reason why Kap, Wilson and RGIII could run the offenses they did was because of their passing ability.  The read option simply leverages their ability to run as a way to stress the defense.  It does not replace the need for them to pass consistently from the pocket.  It is not that much different than play action.  It is simply a way to try and fool the defense and force them to maintain gap discipline.  You still have to be a good pocket passer to be a successful QB in the NFL.  That will never change.  There just aren't that many guys that have that kind of passing ability and running ability.  There will always be a place for guys like Tom Brady in the NFL slow-footed and all.

i thought only RG3 ran the actual pistol, the others were either option or they were given the autonomy to tuck it and run when they wanted to

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

great conversation.  With only reading a couple of the many posts, here's my take (if I am repeating forgive me). 

1.  If the best QB's coming out are option read QB's that can throw, that's who the NFL will draft.  Maybe some effective "pro style" QB's will be taken in later rounds, but if the option read QB's are tearing up college football, they are the ones who will be drafted highest. 

2.  Assuming this takes place, I see contracts coming out of college being as long as allowed, because of Injury.  Maybe QB's become like RB's.  Pay a lot in early years walk away when they turn thirty or get injured. 

3.  Plenty may scoff at this, but thats only because they haven't adjusted their thinking.  Again the point is #1 above.  If the best college QB's being turned out (and more colleges are turning to it) are option read QB's, they are the ones who will be drafted highest.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to millergrnv's comment:

maybe but the Wild Cat and Run and Shoot (especially) were "here to stay" too

The Run and Shoot is still around, they just don't call it that name anymore. The wild cat is different because that involves the running back.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

great conversation.  With only reading a couple of the many posts, here's my take (if I am repeating forgive me). 

1.  If the best QB's coming out are option read QB's that can throw, that's who the NFL will draft.  Maybe some effective "pro style" QB's will be taken in later rounds, but if the option read QB's are tearing up college football, they are the ones who will be drafted highest. 

2.  Assuming this takes place, I see contracts coming out of college being as long as allowed, because of Injury. .....

Another reason to draft them in the first round is the 5th year option that the team automatically gets with first round picks, but not with any other picks. It's also a reason why teams with late firsts (like the Pats) would be less willing to trade out of the first round than in years past, and might even try and acquire more 1sts when it's feasible.  

Also skews even more the value of 1st round picks, even late ones. So that a team with a high second rounder that is looking for a developmental QB, like say KC, might be willing to pay a relatively higher price to move their first pick of the second round into the late first round. 

Sections
Shortcuts