The Patriot Way

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: The Patriot Way

Unfortunately this thread sounds too much like the new Patriot fan way...

Whine, moan...  what a bunch of Nancies.  

If our defense gets a huge injection of talent via free agency and the draft, than it won't matter if Danny Amendola leads the NFL in catches.  We won a Super Bowl with a slot receiver (Troy Brown) as our leading receiver, won a 2nd one with a slot receiver as our leading receiver (Deion Branch) and won another with a #2 receiver (David Givens) as our leading receiver.  

Receiver is the most overrated position in football and we could draft the next big thing in the 2nd or 3rd round... get a grip.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

If our defense gets a huge injection of talent via free agency and the draft, than it won't matter if Danny Amendola leads the NFL in catches.  We won a Super Bowl with a slot receiver (Troy Brown) as our leading receiver, won a 2nd one with a slot receiver as our leading receiver (Deion Branch) and won another with a #2 receiver (David Givens) as our leading receiver.  

Receiver is the most overrated position in football and we could draft the next big thing in the 2nd or 3rd round... get a grip.

i agree, our fanbase is so spoiled, it is unreal. pats still have alot of work to do in free agency and in the draft, but i think they are headed in the right direction. if the pink hats want to abandon ship, then let em.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Totally agree.

I'm very excited about our prospects moving forward. Still with cap space, a ton of corners and safeties still on a market that doesn't seem to be bloated for once. 

It's a new day and although I love Wes I love my pats a million times over and I know and trust bb will have us right where we need to be..

Some of you seriously need to get a grip or go kick mud!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Still missing deep threat, have not done anything on defense yet, Many good players are gone or about to be gone and the Patriots still sitting on their wallet.  It's discouraging to see them make a move like today without addressing the real needs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Still missing deep threat, have not done anything on defense yet, Many good players are gone or about to be gone and the Patriots still sitting on their wallet.  It's discouraging to see them make a move like today without addressing the real needs.

its encouraging that they made a move like this without taking much of a cap hit....which means they CAN go out and fill some of their needs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

There may be a book in the future for Welker where he writes about BB,  the Patriot Way and his exit from NE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Don't forget the great defense the Pats had when they won those superbowls. Looking through that side of the ball I don't see any Harrison's,Bruschi's,Vrabel's,Mcginest's or Law's. I don't even see any Ted Johnson's currently. BB needs to get some intimidators on defense that can get a crucial turn over or stop in the biggest games of the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

Don't forget the great defense the Pats had when they won those superbowls. Looking through that side of the ball I don't see any Harrison's,Bruschi's,Vrabel's,Mcginest's or Law's. I don't even see any Ted Johnson's currently. BB needs to get some intimidators on defense that can get a crucial turn over or stop in the biggest games of the season.

I agree Brad. The one thing about those SB teams it seemed our def had playmakers. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMan. Show RonMan's posts

As a very long-time Boston Sports fan, I have to admit to being more concerned with the 2013 Red Sox offense than I am with the 2013 Patriots offense.  BB's greatest strength is that he doesn't let past performance or emotional connections determine how best to manage the future under a very unforgiving salary cap process.  I wish Wes Welker well, because of his many contributions to the success of the Patriots during his tenure here, but I do believe that BB believes that either Amendola, Edelman, Hernandez or Vereen (yes) can replace WW's production at a better value, freeing up cap room to sign quality DBs (whom he can't seem to identify through the draft process), Sebastian Vollmer and two stud draft picks on the defense. 

The only negative for me in this process is that BB's all-encompassing power leaves him no wiggle room-he has to be both the bad guy and the good guy.  This was covered quite nicely when Pioli was around.  With a guy like Welker, who wanted "respect" above all other considerations, BB was in an impossible situation.  As a coach, he should praise him to the roof.  As a GM, to maximize "value", he should minimize his contributions to the team.  Did not work in WW's situation.  I also will predict that WW will not fare well in Denver because slot receivers need bullet passes, which Gomer is no longer capable of delivering.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

if you and TFB12 want to cry about losing welker, than go ahead. but dont act like everyone else needs to feel sorry for you. the pats lost welker, and then less then 2 hours later, went out and signed a similar player.

you dont realize how spoiled of a fanbase we are. look at the ravens for example, they win one super bowl and now are having a firesale...imagine this place if the pats were doing what the ravens are doing right now...the pats are trying to do whats best for the future.

Believe me buddy, we aren't the only people unhappy about this.  You need to explore a bit more.  Turn on the tv, the radio, go look at twitter, the news sites, check out other forums.  I will say without a doubt there are far more people unhappy about this move then are happy.  BB is taking a beating right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

its encouraging that they made a move like this without taking much of a cap hit....which means they CAN go out and fill some of their needs.

The discouraging part is they could have kept the most productive player on offense (besides TFB) and still had the same amount to go out and get what they need.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Provided the do go out and do this I am not unhappy with what happened today. BB needs to address the defense and they still need a deep threat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I agree. They so far haven't progressed at all. Defense needs a big injection and they need a deep threat.  Teams like SF,Denver and Seatlle all were contenders this year have all gotten significantly stronger after only 2 days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Smart ownership breeds success.  Success breeds contempt.  The NFL is a business, not a youth league where feelings are sheltered.

You guys need to get over yourselves.  I promise that the Sun will rise tomorrow just as surely as the Pats will contend for another Super Bowl next year.  All is well.

This type of move is nothing new for BB. The guy has repeatedly made similar tough decisions, that were unpopular with both fans and the media. From releasing Bernie Kosar in Cleveland, to cutting Lawyer Milloy, to dumping Deion Branch over a contract squabble, to choosing an unproven Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe...the guy has the confidence in his convictions and the courage to do what he thinks is right...even when it goes against the conventional wisdom. It's one of the reasons why he's the greatest coach in the history of the game.   

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

For every player you named there is a comparable player today with Harrison being the lone exception. Also you fail to mention our best defender on all of those championship teams Richard Seymour, because while Wilfork fills in admirably, most definitely better than Ted Washington or Traylor at nose, we have nobody beside him comparable to Seymour.  When we resign our 1-A corner, have that legit Strong Safety and add a stud defensive tackle/end this defense will be dominant once again.  All that can happen in this offseason because we have the money and means to make it happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

For every player you named there is a comparable player today with Harrison being the lone exception. Also you fail to mention our bestdefender on all of those championship teams Richard Seymour, because while Wilfork fills in admirably, most definitely better than Ted Washington or Traylor at nose, we have nobody beside him comparable to Seymour.  When we resign our 1-A corner, have that legit Strong Safety and add a stud defensive tackle/end this defense will be dominant once again.  All that can happen in this offseason because we have the money and means to make it happen.

Wozzy, they had the same holes last year, and the same amount of money. They didnt spend the money on a stud CB, they went for Gregory and Wilson in FA and draft. And here we are again, same holes, same amount of money.

Do you see a legit 1-A CB available other than Revis? Do you see a stud S available that isnt over 33 years old? The last time the Pats used a high draft choice on a stud CB they walked away with Ras, Butler and Wheatley...

I would not be surprised if the Pats sign numerous players and try to hit on one or two...but maybe missing out completyely on defense

IMO Namdi has lost 2 steps, not one step, and he simply cannot recover due to lack of speed. To think he is a 1-A CB is a mistake IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Smart ownership breeds success.  Success breeds contempt.  The NFL is a business, not a youth league where feelings are sheltered.

You guys need to get over yourselves.  I promise that the Sun will rise tomorrow just as surely as the Pats will contend for another Super Bowl next year.  All is well.

This type of move is nothing new for BB. The guy has repeatedly made similar tough decisions, that were unpopular with both fans and the media. From releasing Bernie Kosar in Cleveland, to cutting Lawyer Milloy, to dumping Deion Branch over a contract squabble, to choosing an unproven Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe...the guy has the confidence in his convictions and the courage to do what he thinks is right...even when it goes against the conventional wisdom. It's one of the reasons why he's the greatest coach in the history of the game.   

Spot on, TPat.  Fans get emotionally tied to players and therefore express their displeasure in the wake of that player's departure.  If BB didn't have a proven track record, I would question him.  But guess what?  He's done this a million times and yet every single year we are in the contention for another Super Bowl.  What is there not to be pleased about?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

TexasPat

This type of move is nothing new for BB. The guy has repeatedly made similar tough decisions, that were unpopular with both fans and the media.>

Dude I don't think the team got better, Welker is the most productive reciever in this team. 70 of his catches were for either first down or TD, NO WAY IN HELL Amendola is going to give the offense something welker couldn't?

This was personal, this was about BB showing the players who the boss is and you guys can't see that.

rkarp

they had the same holes last year, and the same amount of money. They didnt spend the money on a stud CB, they went for Gregory and Wilson in FA and draft. And here we are again, same holes, same amount of money.

>

Exactly the defense is going to suck again.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/the-patriot-way/100/6575842?ia=16166841#add-post-form

Do you see a legit 1-A CB available other than Revis? Do you see a stud S available that isnt over 33 years old?

The days of shut down corners are all but over, until playoff time when the refs seem to revert back to old school football.  There are a bunch of corners available I'd like to take a look at though; Talib, Asomugha, Antoine Cason, Chris Gamble, DeAngelo Hall, Brent Grimes, Antoine Winefield, Mike Jenkins, Sam Shields, Sheldon Brown, Terence Newman, Jammer, Grimes...

The best CB is already on our team, Dennard, who you give zero respect or acknowledgment to BB for acquiring. When we had Talib and Dennard together we had blanket coverage except for the hole at SS that tightends exploited, and while you might think the safeties available are old many of them have a lot of gas left in the tank for a post season run and can teach Wilson and Ebner how to play the position properly.

You're one of those "glass half empty" guys so I'll try to temper my enthusiasm about this off-season until we get near camp but there will be more rounds of cuts by other teams as we near camp... try not to panic.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

If Arrington walks, I want Shields as the nickel.

And give up a second rounder?  I'd rather have Winfield.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

so brady should be mad because they replaces a 32 year old slot receiver with a 27 year old slot receiver who is faster, stronger, tougher, and has better hands? yea the pats sure did screw tom over!

and one who is hurt all the time!  I don't see the value in picking up someone who can't stay on the field.  The Patriots already have that in Hernandez and Gronk!!  They were stupid to let Welker get away!