The Patriots After Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

The Patriots After Tom Brady

I'm sure we'll have a wonderful discussion on this topic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42588/patriots-will-struggle-in-post-tom-brady-era

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: The Patriots After Tom Brady

So to summarize, if the world ends and somehow the Jets, Dolphins and Bills all draft perfectly while NE doesn't make a single draft pick or bring in any fresh blood, the Pats won't be as good.  I had no idea!  What a waste of time, I demand that I get an extra minute or 2 added to my day to make up for reading that garbage!

I seem to recall the Pats being fine when Brady went down and Cassel took over....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Walker speaks the truth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots After Tom Brady:
    [QUOTE] I seem to recall the Pats being fine when Brady went down and Cassel took over....
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

If you want to call losing to every good team with a purpose that they played and missing the playoffs "fine".....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I don't think anyone expects the transition after Brady to be seamless and I certainly don't expect 12-14 win seasons to be a given ever year like they have been with a healthy Brady.  That being said the scenario the author describes is more of a doomsday scenario that has a lot of things go wrong in addition to Brady retiring.  It could happen, but is by no means guaranteed.  I will be more concerned when both Brady AND Belichick are gone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Of course some people are going to think this guy is an idiot for writing this, because the writer puts the success of the team on Brady's shoulders (which is right). For all the people that don't appreciate Brady...they will when he's gone. Guys like Brady come around once in a lifetime - he makes everyone and everything look better than they are...players, coaches, trades, drafts, depth, management. He is the ultimate equalizer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Seriously, what a lame article.  There is so much reading garbage out on the internet, do these guys really get paid to spew utter junk and waste our time?  For every good article I read concerning sports there are 75 garbage ones I have to go through first.  These people who write these lame pieces need to be held accountable.  Something like cutting off of fingers or cutting off their internet access for a period of time for every junk story they write.

Of course there is going to be some sort of transition when Brady leaves, same when BB leaves.  My thought is Brady will retire before Bill, Mr. Kraft and BB will have plans in place to where there is a transition that is as seamless as one can expect after a great, first ballot HOF QB retires.  They are drafting younger players every draft, the Pats have several good, young prospects so how the writer thinks the Patriots are going to be old when TFB retires is lame. 

I could go on but I'm not going to let that article waste anymore of my precious time.

Final word is.... Apparently you don't have to be smarter then a 5th grader to write and sell your sports articles. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Of course some people are going to think this guy is an idiot for writing this, because the writer puts the success of the team on Brady's shoulders (which is right). For all the people that don't appreciate Brady...they will when he's gone. Guys like Brady come around once in a lifetime - he makes everyone and everything look better than they are...players, coaches, trades, drafts, depth, management. He is the ultimate equalizer. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You are right about Brady, but this guy acts like we think the Patriots are going to continue this great success when TFB retires.  We aren't idiots of course there will be some adjustments to our expectations we will have to make but it's not going to be as bad as this single minded person thinks it will be.  No, there might not be trips to the SB every few seasons but it's not going to be finishing last in the division either. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Brady is old. I get it. So are Welker and Lloyd and Chad. Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, Vereen, Solder, Cannon and Vollmer are not and they will form the nucleus of this offense after Brady leaves. Brady is a once in 20 years type player. The Pats might not have a QB as good as him for a long, long time. That does not mean that the team will not continue to find (draft and FA) quality players or that they won't compete. Belichick has already proved that he can have some serious player turnover on D and still have a contender (WillieMac, Bruschi, Harrison, Law, Sey). The only valid argument is that there will be a dropoff when Brady retires. And yeah that will probably happen. Post Bradshaw era saw the likes of Stoudt, Brister and Tommy Maddox at QB before Big Ben arrived. Look at Post Staubach Cowboys prior to Aikman a list of good-mediocre QBs.

Perhaps the easiest thing to predict in the NFL is that a team which loses it's franchise QB will struggle.

Meanwhile, this year BB made moves to shore up the D. And brought in a new weapon for Brady to play with (Lloyd). The Pats made the Super Bowl last year. You can chose to dwell on the positive or the negative. Facts are Brady is still around and Belichick is still calling the shots.

The Phins and Jets are a joke; the Bills still struggle. In some instances I think the future of the Pats looks bright, in comparison, even without Brady. Sanchise is a joke, Matt Moore/Tannehill is mediocrity defined, Fitzy looks okay at times and other times he clearly struggles. I'll take the Pats problems of rebuilding a championship caliber defense so they can win a Super Bowl over big spending to try to the make the playoffs any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

BTW. No one honestly knows how good or bad Hoyer or Mallett is except the coaching staff.

New Orleans will s--k when Drew Brees retires....there you see....not really a big story. Just overstating the obvious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The author is really going out on a limb there!

It takes more than a great QB to make a successful team, though.
    It takes an owner who cares more about winning than his wallet.
    It takes a front office that is efficient and capable.
    It takes a coaching staff that is secure and experienced. 
    It takes players who care more about team than fame.

There may not be as much of a drop off as people think as long as Kraft and Belichick remain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Well, instead of being at the top of the "second tier" of teams, they'll be at the middle of the pack without Brady.

If they ever find a decent defense...all bets are off....lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE] There may not be as much of a drop off as people think as long as Kraft and Belichick remain.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

They call this, "whistling through the graveyard".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Of course some people are going to think this guy is an idiot for writing this, because the writer puts the success of the team on Brady's shoulders (which is right). For all the people that don't appreciate Brady...they will when he's gone. Guys like Brady come around once in a lifetime - he makes everyone and everything look better than they are...players, coaches, trades, drafts, depth, management. He is the ultimate equalizer. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

The only "some people" that will think this guy is off are a few wack jobs we have around here. Any rational person would think losing the HOF QB means a big dropoff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Its going to be a sad sad day but that's what happens in sports. I will be just as much a fan then as today and believe that they will still win super bowls when he is gone. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Is this really something you guys didn't know about? Of course there'll be a big drop off from the QB position when TB retires. I just don't think there will be a big drop off in the standings. It'll take a few years for NE to be a perennial play offs contender after brady is gone, but that happens to every franchise after its Hof QB retires. ( of course some franchises struggle for more than a decade to find it's replacement see dolphins and jets) And there're others that find the answer in a short period of time. ( see GB ) Like some here mentioned lets worry about when BB and TB are both gone, then again we can also make the case that BB will leave his replacement in place before he retires. ( Josh McD ) Let's just enjoy the ride and we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ryan Mallett, if not BB will have two #1 picks available to take the #1 or #2 QB overall in this hypothetical draft because he is the best GM in the game.  Football is a team sport, the NFL is a coaches league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

There could be some drop off. But if BB goes and gets an established QB like Matt Ryan it could be minimal. As long as BB is in charge, the Patriots will always be at the top rung of the ladder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

This is a team game. Once Brady retires or moves on to another team the Patriot's will be in good shape as long as Bill Belichick is still coach. If Belichick leaves the team then the team is in trouble.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Perhaps the easiest thing to predict in the NFL is that a team which loses it's franchise QB will struggle.
    Not Necessarily, The 49ers were saying the same thing when joe montana injured his arm. Steve who?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

A lot of people are in for a BIG surprise apparently.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Patriots After Tom Brady : You are right about Brady, but this guy acts like we think the Patriots are going to continue this great success when TFB retires.  We aren't idiots of course there will be some adjustments to our expectations we will have to make but it's not going to be as bad as this single minded person thinks it will be.  No, there might not be trips to the SB every few seasons but it's not going to be finishing last in the division either. 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

It's football, anything can happen, we could very well end up getting another Brady, but historically speaking these types of things come along once in a great while.

The Packers and 49ers are two teams that I can think of off the top of my head that landed premiere players at the QB position right after their hall of fame QB left. On the other hand you have teams like Buffalo (Kelly), Miami (Marino), Dallas (Aikman), Oilers (Moon), Denver (Elway)...that struggled for years after, and then some.

I've got to think Belichick would keep us competitive, but you need someone like Brady to minimize mistakes and injuries. It doesn't really matter - the guy should play another 3 years and that's a lifetime in this league. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I do not believe we will be fortunate enough to have another TB. He is arguably one of the best, if not the best ever. In the company of Montana, Bradshaw, Otto Graham ( my dad's favorite), Unitas,... winners ! 

These guys just don't show up every year or ten.. just look at the history of #1 "can't miss" QBs .. that did miss or just became really good QBs ( Mannings, Elway, Aikman, etc). to think he became a Patriot at #199 is amazing and so fortunate.

If we would end up with another Bledsoe guy( lets be honest the Bledsoe 90s were a lot better than the previous 30 years!) and be playoff competitive every year .. hey I will still be on board.

Alright I will be on board even if we are not. It will actually make MBs draft threads more compelling if we have a #1  pick coming after a 2-14 season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of people are in for a BIG surprise apparently.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Including you.

Yes there's a drop off at QB once Brady is gone, but the article is also based on the fact that all of the teams in the AFC East will improve through smart drafting (have you seen how they've drafted the past couple of years?), while the Pats do nothing to improve.  One of the points made in the article is the troubles on defense, do you really think that nothing is being done to improve that unit, didn't BB twice in the first round to grab front 7 guys?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

OMG People..... Seriously???
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?...No
    Was it over when Kubla got Khanned? (lost a horse in a foul bet)

Was it over for Drew Bledsoe when Tom Brady took over the helm?
     (well yeah for Drew, but thats not the point)

Everyone is replaceable... gawd dangit....
    Ryan Mallet will be the new Jow Montana, only 2 feet taller. He has a cannon for an arm, a rifle scope for accuracy and he sleeps in garanimal pajamas.
    Once Mallet and Gronk put their heads together you will have the Lincoln tunnel.

We are gonna win BIGGGGGG! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well Lenordo you set the world record for the longest post. * sorry Laz you were my personal favorite*

Why dont you think Mallet or Hoyer with the blocking Brady gets can't perform? What happened when Drew went down? Everyone said damn our season is over. Then the D stepped up and Brady managed the games and we started winning. If when Brady leaves the game the Pats tank at least it will still be the real Pats fans left here. What the Pats have accomplished is god enough for my lifetime. We should have had 5 SB's but 3 is just fine with me.