The Patriots Commitment to TE in 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The Patriots Commitment to TE in 2010

It's been the general Consensus here that the Patriots needed to make some serious upgrades and better use of their TE position.

Mike Reiss has written a good piece on this topic on ESPN.

Pretty good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5469521

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: The Patriots Commitment to TE in 2010

The Pats have drafted TE after TE and I wonder if they'll really ever do more to feature that position, or if their past reluctance has been due to the talent of the players they drafted.  Dave Thomas, Dan Graham, Watson are just a few that were drafted but weren't featured in the passing game, although I loved watching Graham manhandle the opposition in the run game.  Belichick obviously values the position.   

I am optimistic that Hernandez will be comparable to a guy like Fauria.  And at the very least, hopefully Gronkowski will turn out to be a dominant blocker a la Crumpler and Graham, but hopefully he can be a presence in the passing game and create lots of mismatches against slower LBs and smaller CBs and safeties. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots Commitment to TE in 2010:
    Yup.  Some of us were begging for just one TE in the draft or by trade and BB outdid all of that by quietly getting a versatile pro in Crumpler on the cheap, then invested in two different style young TEs. Brady has got to be drooling. No more 3 and outs so easily for other teams and no more FGs when they should be hitting TDs. Merge the pre 2006 spread offense with the Dynasty era smash mouth offense. This will give them essentially TWO offenses. If this works, they will be frustrating defenses all year long. 
    Posted by russgriswold

Yup, You gotta love the versatility. I heard the local radio guys talking after last weeks game against N.O. They thought that the 2 TE sets were just to reinforce that part of the game because it didn't look that well in practice that week before the game. The threat to run out of that set can make the passing game even better. I hope we see more of it this week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The Pats have drafted TE after TE and I wonder if they'll really ever do more to feature that position, or if their past reluctance has been due to the talent of the players they drafted.  Dave Thomas, Dan Graham, Watson are just a few that were drafted but weren't featured in the passing game, although I loved watching Graham manhandle the opposition in the run game.  Belichick obviously values the position.    I am optimistic that Hernandez will be comparable to a guy like Fauria.  And at the very least, hopefully Gronkowski will turn out to be a dominant blocker a la Crumpler and Graham, but hopefully he can be a presence in the passing game and create lots of mismatches against slower LBs and smaller CBs and safeties. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I think the Pats liked Graham but they just weren't willing to pay the market value that other teams were. Watson was really a disappointment. Not the greatest blocking tightend and a hideous pass dropper. Thomas I liked and I'm surprised they didn't keep him although I think he got caught up in the numbers game and Both Baker and Watson were better blockers at the Position.
    I think the new guys all look pretty good.So far

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

I am optimistic that Hernandez will be comparable to a guy like Fauria.  Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Good Lord, if Hernandez ends up being anything like Christian Fauria we should all be very disappointed. Fauria would immediately fall to the ground after every catch and had absolutely no athleticism. Hernandez is an excellent athlete with fluid movements and superior hands. He may not be Dallas Clark, but let's set our sights a bit higher than Christian Fauria.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]Yup.  Some of us were begging for just one TE in the draft or by trade and BB outdid all of that by quietly getting a versatile pro in Crumpler on the cheap, then invested in two different style young TEs. Brady has got to be drooling. No more 3 and outs so easily for other teams and no more FGs when they should be hitting TDs. Merge the pre 2006 spread offense with the Dynasty era smash mouth offense. This will give them essentially TWO offenses. If this works, they will be frustrating defenses all year long. 
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE

Lets hope Gronk is Bill's Mark Bavaro.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I think that alot of Watson's and the Pats issues related to TE receiving had to do with there shotgun formations over the last few years. When we did run the ball it was often a delay to Faulk, or a short yardage pick up. Teams knew when we were going to pass and when we did line up to run, thats just what we did. So the defense would not be caught off guard, meaning the LB's would drop back into coverage on the TE, or the DB would move over to cover. The point being that they never had to hesitate. If we were to line up in power running formations and establish that, then actualy pass out of it using the TE, this would cause the LB's or DB's to have to respect the run, they might take a step or two towards the line, thus giving the TE an extra second to get seperation or causing a mental error on the defense and causing them to be out of position on a few plays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Not saying you can't utilize a TE out of a passing formation, Indy does it with Clark. It does take a comitment to scheme that though, as well as an exceptional talent. Watson or any other TE we have had were not up to it, and why would you waste time to tailor your offense around a TE out of a shotgun when you have Moss and Welker. In my mind the traditional way to get solid production from most offenses is to use the TE situationaly on running downs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think the problem with Watson is he looked the part more than he was the part. He's very athletic and should have been wide open last year, and he just wasn't. I kept trying to figure out why he wasn't getting looks, blaming it on O'Brien, Brady, etc, but if you're open, Brady will find you. At worst, he should have been an option in the flat on a chip block or something, but he just disappeared after his great Week 1 game.  Very strange, OR he AGAIN was battling nagging injuries all year. A disappointment because when you saw him play, it appeared he had another gear, and he just never really developed it. Then the drops, the lack of consistency. Ugh.  His best year was 2006, he was a last option in 2007 which was fine, was medicore in 2008 and then pretty much invisible last year. One very good year isn't what I was expecting after seeing him chase down Champ Bailey in the January 2006 playoff game in Denver.
    Posted by russgriswold

When I think of Watson's good plays over the years that's really the only one I vividly remember.After he made that play I remember thinking "This guy could be really good". Then he just sort of dwindled away.

BTW as a side note, I know I saw someone..I think Clay73 mention Bavaro. I heard Zolak last week say that Gronk looks like Bavaro in a uniform. God knows he has a long way to go but wouldn't be nice to have a TE like that on your team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots Commitment to TE in 2010 : Good Lord, if Hernandez ends up being anything like Christian Fauria we should all be very disappointed. Fauria would immediately fall to the ground after every catch and had absolutely no athleticism. Hernandez is an excellent athlete with fluid movements and superior hands. He may not be Dallas Clark, but let's set our sights a bit higher than Christian Fauria.  
    Posted by marvcook

If Hernandez plays in the NFL for 12 years and is a solid TE like Fauria was then he'll be a fortunate man.  He should aspire to be either Fauria or Marv Cook.  The comparison was that Hernandez is more of a receiving threat than a true TE, like both Fauria and Cook. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Watson lost Brady's confidence. Brady has shied away from him at points in his career, but I got the feeling last season that he was totally gone. 

He had a really bad habit of letting the ball get into his pads instead of catching with his hands, or going alligator arms on a pass he should be cushioning. Both of these not only led to drops, but passes bounced up in the air that led to INTS. I think he caused two INTs last season by popping it up in the air. 

After that part of the disappearing act likely had to do with him unplugging because Brady had him at the bottom of the options list, and the fact that NE was running a lot of max protect on the deep routes to Randy Moss, which tended to keep him or Baker at home.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

A few others agree that our new focus on TE will pay off.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/08/gonzalez_thinks.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

A few others agree that our new focus on TE will pay off. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/08/gonzalez_thinks.html
    Posted by gmbill

More good stuff. It looks like it's unanimous

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Russ, I'll jump off that hill every time. The TE adds this year will open the run, screen and from those the option game wide open. Then you add TB back at 100%, Edelman, Moss, Tate, Price, Aiken and Welker. Going to be a shoot out every game.. Oh yeah, the TE's can catch also

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It looks like our tight ends will be awesome but I don't see why the Pats should "commit" to them.  It's really up to the tight ends to prove to BB that they should be out on the field and to prove to Brady that he should be throwing to them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I've been saying it since the draft the TE will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Our Red Zone TD efficiency will go up and our ability so sustain 4th Qtr drives will improve.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Going into the off season I said on here and elsewhere that the Pats need to get tougher... and I felt it could be done on offense with the addition of Vollmer to the line, a Tough Blocking TE or two and a TE that can catch those pressure outlet passes. I wanted Crumpler and everyone was going Gaga for the guy in St. Louis and others, and I also wanted Hernandez. We got them both and Gronk as well so I am very happy. Now all they need on offense is a solid game plan.
    As for the Defense becming tougher it was all Red Zone stuff that really needed to be addressed which was done by bringing in Football players like Spikes who will just make plays and others they play around better...makes me think of a young Bruschi that way. Also They shored up the DB's by using a first round pick on arguably the best CB available in the draft second best (splitting hair time) at worst and it should mean less opportunities to have to employ the red zone defense. AFC East is full of good WR's so that pick makes more and more sense.

Anyway back to the question at hand... The Patriots are Tougher all the way around due to the focus on improving one position TE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

With the size and skill set these two have , I see no ceiling to their athletic ability. I dont expect Gonzo or Gates. But definately think we could expect big things from these two. And absolutely think that both will be decent features in our O. And the problem w/ Watson was that the guy wasnt nearly athletic as we all gave him credit for. Besides his ability to run , what was athletic about him? The guy couldnt run any routes ... at all! He ran one SEEM rt. the whole time he was here! And how many big time drops did he have at key moments in games? The guy was a bust , sorry. You get a TE in the first round , you expect some a versatile player that is a threat on O. The only reason he was here this long was ... well why , I dont know. He couldnt catch , run routes and did a terrible job at using his big body to his/our advantage. But he did look the part and run real fast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I've been saying it since the draft the TE will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Our Red Zone TD efficiency will go up and our ability so sustain 4th Qtr drives will improve.
    Posted by Tcal2

For sure and actually when you think about it we were missing another TE when in the red zone with the trading of Mike Vraebel. Not just for the TD's but that was one more thing the opposing defenses had to think about.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Going into the off season I said on here and elsewhere that the Pats need to get tougher... and I felt it could be done on offense with the addition of Vollmer to the line, a Tough Blocking TE or two and a TE that can catch those pressure outlet passes. I wanted Crumpler and everyone was going Gaga for the guy in St. Louis and others, and I also wanted Hernandez. We got them both and Gronk as well so I am very happy. Now all they need on offense is a solid game plan. As for the Defense becming tougher it was all Red Zone stuff that really needed to be addressed which was done by bringing in Football players like Spikes who will just make plays and others they play around better...makes me think of a young Bruschi that way. Also They shored up the DB's by using a first round pick on arguably the best CB available in the draft second best (splitting hair time) at worst and it should mean less opportunities to have to employ the red zone defense. AFC East is full of good WR's so that pick makes more and more sense. Anyway back to the question at hand... The Patriots are Tougher all the way around due to the focus on improving one position TE!
    Posted by DaBlade

Blade- I'm looking forward to seeing Cunningham too as he could really fill a position that needs to be filled. Judging from the practice report he won't be playing this week either though.

One-time-- Couldn't agree more. Watson Stunk. It was the dropd that used to kill me but he was certainly a flop. I think Cleveland will be perfect for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpporters. Show bpporters's posts

The red zone and short yardage situations really open up with these guys. This offense has the potential to be as explosive as 2007 if the line can hold. Watson was a great athlete but he just couldn't get open enough and when he did he struggled to make the catch, and if he did then to hold on to the football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Ah c'mon... How can you stellar  Pats types talk TE's  and fail to even mention the best of 'em all...Ben Coates......

In thirty-nine years we've had sixty-six T.E.'s and only one of 'em has been as 
    Howard Cossell used to put  it..."ALL-WORLD."

One year I think  he caught 90 plus balls.

Pretty good 5th round pick too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Ah c'mon... How can you stellar  Pats types talk TE's  and fail to even mention the best of 'em all...Ben Coates...... In thirty-nine years we've had sixty-six T.E.'s and only one of 'em has been as  Howard Cossell used to put  it..."ALL-WORLD." One year I think  he caught 90 plus balls. Pretty good 5th round pick too.
    Posted by threejak

Everbody loves Coates but we were just focusing in a little more on this year and last and what the Pats have done to try an upgrade a position that has been Sub-Par lately. Love Coates though. Awesome stats guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

So far, rave ratings on Gronk.  As I heard it, when Laurence Maroney walked quite a few yards into the endzone against New Orleans, and when BJGE did the same, that was Gronk blocking both times.  He just pushes people around.  He almost flipped a blocking sled over the first time he hit it.  As far as receptions, again and again and again, I read the practice reports and single sentences contain the words Gronkowski and touchdown. 

Hernandez is picking things up fairly well.  He seems to be trying at least, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a little dumb rookie in him still.  He also loves the endzone. 

Crumpler is good.  He can actually catch passes when he can get open, and he's a goal line blocker.  He's already dropped to third place, though. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them on the field in goal line situations.  A.  the line of scrimmage is moving backwards in front of them, and B.  Brady has mucho good targets.  Who on earth matches up with these guys in both dimensions, stout run defense and then pass protection?

Sections
Shortcuts