The Patriots did not put in a waiver claim on veteran defensive end Jason Babin...why? thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

The Patriots did not put in a waiver claim on veteran defensive end Jason Babin...why? thoughts

a call from bb to reid. some ex eagles say babin quit. if true, maybe bb called his colleague friend andy reid and reid said you dont want this guy....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Re: The Patriots did not put in a waiver claim on veteran defensive end Jason Babin...why? thoughts

I think becuase they knew he would not get to them. Our record is to good and there are a lot of other teams that would get first shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: The Patriots did not put in a waiver claim on veteran defensive end Jason Babin...why? thoughts

Your arguement would be valid if he had gotten past the patriots in the waiver claims proccess, but he was claimed by the jaguars, a team that has the right to put in a claim way before he even got close to the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Pats never had a chance to claim Babin.  The Pats are just too far up the ladder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Babin has been described by the Eagles front office as a "me" guy, hence why he was released and why the Pats did not claim him off of waivers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to patsfaninpa420's comment:

Babin has been described by the Eagles front office as a "me" guy, hence why he was released and why the Pats did not claim him off of waivers.

that would be my guess as well. along wiht the call to reid about such

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to patsfaninpa420's comment:

that would be my guess as well. along wiht the call to reid about such

Nah it's a fact (at least the reason he was released). I listen to 94 WIP sports radio everyday at work and know much more about the Eagles than I would care too. More than likely there was a call as well between Reid and Bill but it was the front office that made the decision to release Babin and Reid never throws his players under the bus, at least in public.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

He's 32 years old .  Pats defense is young and gelling.  The chemistry wouldn't be right, plus there was no leverage against lower ranked teams claims.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

He's 32 years old .  Pats defense is young and gelling.  The chemistry wouldn't be right, plus there was no leverage against lower ranked teams claims.

i dont think one doesnt do their due dillignece becasue it would be unlikely that they get the bid on their waiver.

as far as chemistry and age, if it helped win a sb, i thin bb would do it. he can be cut after this year.

i think bb got a heads up on why he was being released by andy reid (ie locker room, effort, or other).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Even if Babin didn't quit on his team or whatever, the Pats were still at the bottom of the waiver wire.

1+ million or however much he is owed is a lot for just 5 games, especially when he needs to learn the system.

In theory, if Babin made it all the way to the Pats, it would've been likely that he would've gone unclaimed...in which case, Pats would have had an opportunity to sign him for less

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Are we sure no claim was made?  I can agree with all of the above why we didnt get him based on high position but  it is still worth a claim .. kinda like a lottery ticket. But jeez with Jones, Cunningham out .. why not ,for 5 maybe 9 games.  Locker room chemistry is based on where he was ( phily was a carwreck). Corey wasn't Mr Congeniality in Cincy.

I think the real reason if no claim was made is "Who is the #53 player  Pats would have released; and was the risk  and 1.6 Mil  worth it"

Of course this is all moot because Jax claimed him. We shall see in  4 weeks if maybe for the best.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Babin signed a $28 million dollar deal at the beginning of this season.  Some of that money will be eaten by Philly, but picking up Babin off of waivers is still going to cost somebody (Jacksonville) way too much money for an old guy that was cut in the middle of the season from a 3-8 team.  Now, if Babin was willing to work for the veterans minimum, BB might consider taking him on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The Patriots were way too far back to claim him.  Why a 2-9 team would want him is a head scratcher unless they want him long term. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

a call from bb to reid. some ex eagles say babin quit. if true, maybe bb called his colleague friend andy reid and reid said you dont want this guy....

The simple reason why BB didnt put in a claim is that had they claimed and been awarded Babin BB would have inherited Babins contract. Wait til he clears waivers (which he obviosuly did not) and then you can sign him cheaper.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

The simple reason why BB didnt put in a claim is that had they claimed and been awarded Babin BB would have inherited Babins contract. Wait til he clears waivers (which he obviosuly did not) and then you can sign him cheaper.

if you mean this year, obviously not since hes jax property. to me 1.6 mil is no reason to balk if you thought hed make you better in the playoffs.

also he could have been cut at any point by us with no hit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Babin signed a $28 million dollar deal at the beginning of this season.  Some of that money will be eaten by Philly, but picking up Babin off of waivers is still going to cost somebody (Jacksonville) way too much money for an old guy that was cut in the middle of the season from a 3-8 team.  Now, if Babin was willing to work for the veterans minimum, BB might consider taking him on.

paul its 1.6 mil this year. 4.3 next. but cn be cut with no hit

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

Are we sure no claim was made?  I can agree with all of the above why we didnt get him based on high position but  it is still worth a claim .. kinda like a lottery ticket. But jeez with Jones, Cunningham out .. why not ,for 5 maybe 9 games.  Locker room chemistry is based on where he was ( phily was a carwreck). Corey wasn't Mr Congeniality in Cincy.

I think the real reason if no claim was made is "Who is the #53 player  Pats would have released; and was the risk  and 1.6 Mil  worth it"

Of course this is all moot because Jax claimed him. We shall see in  4 weeks if maybe for the best.

yes it is reported all over the net that the pats were not one of them. i belive it was wash, jax and one other i forget

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Even if Babin didn't quit on his team or whatever, the Pats were still at the bottom of the waiver wire.

1+ million or however much he is owed is a lot for just 5 games, especially when he needs to learn the system.

In theory, if Babin made it all the way to the Pats, it would've been likely that he would've gone unclaimed...in which case, Pats would have had an opportunity to sign him for less

actually a playoff team, there were 8 teams behind us i believe, might have used him

Sections
Shortcuts