The Patriots have a shot at the number 1 seed if they beat Houston!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Patriots have a shot at the number 1 seed if they beat Houston!!!

If the Patriots are capable of winning Monday night against the Houston Texans, they have a shot at overtaking the Houston Texans. Beating Houston will give Houston their second loss of the season, and with two more games left against the Colts who are fighting for a playoff spot with the Bengals only a game out, it's not hard to believe that The Colts might split those games. 

In a three way tie with Houston and The Ravens or Broncos, the Pats would own the tie breaker against all them. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: The Patriots have a shot at the number 1 seed if they beat Houston!!!

My bad, the Ravens have to lose a game if they beat the Broncos, but the Ravens will lose to RG III this weekend so we have nothing to worry about there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Consider this as well.  With a NE win Monday night, the Dolts would control their own destiny.  If they win out they win the AFC South and Hou is figting for a wild card.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Would love for the playoffs to go through Foxborough, but even if a number 2 is all we get, I'd be happy giving Chandler Jones, Logan Mankins and our other bangged up players a rest before the playoffs. 

We needs this win, I hope BB is stressing this to these guys! Winning this game could set the tone for the rest of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Would love for the playoffs to go through Foxborough, but even if a number 2 is all we get, I'd be happy giving Chandler Jones, Logan Mankins and our other bangged up players a rest before the playoffs. 

We needs this win, I hope BB is stressing this to these guys! Winning this game could set the tone for the rest of the season.

I doubt that BB is stressing that to the team, he doesn't need to put that kind of pressure on them.  They all know what it means.  He's telling them that if each one of them does his job they will win the game.  And they Will!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I would be more than happy with the Pats being number 2.

I honestly believe the Pats offense would benefit more from playing in a dome than HOU. I don't think Reliant Stadium has proved itself as an intimidating road environment yet.

To be honest. The thing I would prefer would be playing Baltimore or Pittsburgh in the divisional round than Denver.

Pitt will be a tough out when completely healthy...but I'm putting my money on them not being completely healthy come playoff time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

But, would you rather have the Patriots have the #1 seed or win the SB? I'm not convinced that a #1 seed improves the odds of getting to the SB. Here's my rationale. In order to get a #1 seed, the Patriots would have to beat both the Texans and 49ers.

Here's the kicker. It's really hard to beat the better teams in the NFL twice in one season. So, if the Patriots beat the texans and 49ers during the reg season to get the number #1 seed - there's a greater chance of losing to either one of them come the playoffs (if they meet during the playoffs).

I'd rather have a lose to the Texans and 49ers during regular season - and beat them in the playoffs in the hopes of winning another SB.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I'm with TFB  on this one; I really hope they do not get the bye. Rest is fine, but for a team that is still trying to gel on defense, there is nothing that can replace game day action.

I have been less than overwhelmed by the Pats' performances this year following the bye week (against the Bills) and following the long Thanksgiving layoff (against the Fins). This team needs to keep playing. Add to that, I would prefer that their mental mindset is not one of "We're the conference favorite," but rather, "We have to fight like hell to get this thing done."

It'll be a real kick-in-the-pants if they have to leave the cozy confines of Foxboro. I'd rather see a beat-up but aggressive and hungry team versus a rested but complacent one.

This team is best when it has to WORK!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My numbers say Patriots by an almost prohibitive 7.7 points.  The wind in the next storm has died down somewhat, averaging 13 mph by game time.  Expect wet ball conditions and fog with occasional rain, plus a wind shift into the Northwest around 11:00 as a front comes through.

In week 17 against Indianapolis at Indy, my numbers now favor the Texans by only 0.7 points.  Detroit has a good team, and Indianapolis pulling out a victory at Detroit bumps up Indy's rating.  Maybe Andrew Luck is maturing a bit as the season goes on.

The Ravens losing to Pittsburgh in week 13 at home was a real drag on the team's numeric reputation.  Who are these stumbebums, what have they done with the real Ravens, and who will show up next week?  I have the Ravens rated at 9.4 victories out of 16 if the season started anew tomorrow.  The Birdies need a miracle to finish 4-0.  If they finished 0-4, well, these things can happen when you play four decent teams.  In particular, Cincinnati in week 17 is favored by 3.9 points over Baltimore, although Cincy may or may not be out of wild card contention by week 17.  Baltimore's best chance at one victory out of the next four is at home versus Denver in week 15, where I have them favored by a mere 0.8 points.

I consider a bye week to be important.  BB lays in good plans during a bye week, players heal, new players don't go down. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In the playoffs, I am more leery of Denver than Houston. AFC teams I think are the toughest matchups for the Pats in the playoffs;

Denver- Peyton plays well against our D, and there D is playing lights out. Definitely dont want to play in Denver!

Houston- One of best in NFL. Will know alot more about them after this Mondays game.

Ravens- There D is in TB12's head, and Flacco usually plays better than normal against us.

Pittsburgh- Although I think we match up well with them, any team that can consistently throw the ball, can beat us on any given Sunday.

Colts- Although we blew them out earlier, Luck is to good to have two horrible games against us. And we might be overconfident. Think the Jets a couple years ago where we destroyed them 45-3 and then lost to them in the playoffs a few weeks later.

Cincinatti- No team coached my Marvin Lewis can be taken seriously.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

But, would you rather have the Patriots have the #1 seed or win the SB? I'm not convinced that a #1 seed improves the odds of getting to the SB. Here's my rationale. In order to get a #1 seed, the Patriots would have to beat both the Texans and 49ers.

Here's the kicker. It's really hard to beat the better teams in the NFL twice in one season. So, if the Patriots beat the texans and 49ers during the reg season to get the number #1 seed - there's a greater chance of losing to either one of them come the playoffs (if they meet during the playoffs).

I'd rather have a lose to the Texans and 49ers during regular season - and beat them in the playoffs in the hopes of winning another SB.

This is bunk.  In 100 playoff rematches of teams that met once during the regular season since 1990, the team that won the regular season matchup is 57-43.  In 16 rematches of teams that went 2-0 against an opponent during the regular season, the team that won those first 2 games went 11-5.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts