The Patriots just drafted your OLB at 194!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: The Patriots just drafted your OLB at 194!

Will probably be back-up or play on special teams. The notion that this kid will be Demarcus Ware II is pretty silly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Judgement reserved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

We have Cunningham. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots just drafted your OLB at 194!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Patriots just drafted your OLB at 194! : With great coaching, diet, strength and conditioning this young man could be lighting in our bottle.  Buckle up.
    Posted by Clay73[/QUOTE]

Getting stronger would be the key. One thing the report did not mention (and maybe I am wrong, give I am basing this on his Youtube)...he knows where the ball is and gets to it fast. He still needs a bit of coaching on tactics (maybe bb saw he's coachable), and perhaps 10 lbs worth of additional strength.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

His college coach said Markell had increased his weight to 270lbs. but was better off playing in the 250s.  This shows that Carter can put on weight if need be.  His lack of strength makes me skeptical of him becoming a regular contributor at OLB.  I point to Gary Guyton as an example.  Guyton only put up 15 reps on 225 lbs. bench press.  We all know Gary cannot set the edge or hold up on the outside.  Markell put up 17 reps on 225lbs. bench so I see him facing similar problems on the edge as Guyton.  I hope I am wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think wasting a high 2nd round pick drafting a CB, out of the Big East powerhouse Connecticut, is far worse a crime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

After watching his highlights, I'd be surprised if he makes the team. Getting 4 to 6 sacks a year against that level of competition is an absolute joke; his feet look heavy, he stands right up, doesn't look like he could do ninety percent of the things the position calls for. Almost as if Bill is trying to say, see, that's why we don't draft pass rushers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Excellent pick for a sixth rounder.  Great arms, great quickness, great instincts.  No OLB experience.  Many Patriots linebackers used to be defensive ends including Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi. 

Possibility #1, he's good enough despite total lack of experience at OLB that he makes the team proper.  This happens with some of BB's late-round and UFA picks: Matt Cassell and Steve Neal made it through. 

Possibility #2, he's not good enough this August.  BB gives every other team in the NFL a window to sign the guy.  What other team would waste a September roster spot on a guy that never played OLB before, who is only familiar with the Patriots' style of linebacker play, and who wasn't any good in the preseason?  So, nobody swipes Carter.  He drops to the Patriots' practice squad, maybe he gets a new contract from Jonathan Kraft if he shows a spark on the practice squad this fall, and he has time to develop into a real Patriots player by August of 2012.  He adds strength and learns to play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In the Pat's defense this guy does not have to been the greatest thing since sliced bread, he just has to be steady and not make mistakes.  If for the first year he is a 3rd down pass rusher and gives us 6-10 plus a few hurries then that would be great  . .  . remember it took "54" a few years to develop into a starter!  I still look for them to pick up a FA at OLB and WR (if they are not sold on Tate).
    Posted by tenace4life[/QUOTE]

"gives us 6-10 plus a few hurries then that would be great  . .  .  I still look for them to pick up a FA at OLB and WR. "

be delighted with all of that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent pick for a sixth rounder.  Great arms, great quickness, great instincts.  No OLB experience.  Many Patriots linebackers used to be defensive ends including Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi.  Possibility #1, he's good enough despite total lack of experience at OLB that he makes the team proper.  This happens with some of BB's late-round and UFA picks: Matt Cassell and Steve Neal made it through.  Possibility #2, he's not good enough this August.  BB gives every other team in the NFL a window to sign the guy.  What other team would waste a September roster spot on a guy that never played OLB before, who is only familiar with the Patriots' style of linebacker play, and who wasn't any good in the preseason?  So, nobody swipes Carter.  He drops to the Patriots' practice squad, maybe he gets a new contract from Jonathan Kraft if he shows a spark on the practice squad this fall, and he has time to develop into a real Patriots player by August of 2012.  He adds strength and learns to play.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

You really think he's got those skills? I don't see it, yet I'm just watching youtube stuff. If he's a project that is worth keeping around, he'll get a tap on the shoulder in late August and be told he has a severe ankle injury and will be soon placed on the IR...or pup. Works like a charm for us every year.

I remember Neal's first training camp with us; he was tall, huge and very very fast and athletic. They had him playing defensive line at first and he didn't look out of place, even standing next to Seymore (athletically at least). He was a project worth keeping around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

While he might be a promising prospect, the Pats would have problems if he played anything other than special teams.  It would mean Cunningham/Ninkovich, et al either were not developing or were injured.  Would not be good.

I doubt he plays a defensive down next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK for all the naysayers,from this list tell me which player was a 6th round draft choice: BJGE,Woodhead,Fletcher,Guyton,Farnham,Jenkins,Moore,Sergio Brown,Carter or Hoyer?Answer below..

none of the above were drafted by the Patriots in any round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

he'll probably play some passing downs as a rusher and special teams. it isn't like he was a guy rated 800th in this draft class. he was rated more as a 7th rounder or priority udfa, potentially earlier as a 3-4 OLB prospect. he was on my list of prospects for the Pats prior to the draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Patriots just drafted your OLB at 194! : You really think he's got those skills? I don't see it, yet I'm just watching youtube stuff. If he's a project that is worth keeping around, he'll get a tap on the shoulder in late August and be told he has a severe ankle injury and will be soon placed on the IR...or pup. Works like a charm for us every year. I remember Neal's first training camp with us; he was tall, huge and very very fast and athletic. They had him playing defensive line at first and he didn't look out of place, even standing next to Seymore (athletically at least). He was a project worth keeping around.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Despite being ranked a four-star high school recruit (at 215 pounds), Carter ended up at Division II Central Arkansas. He chose UCA over Oklahoma State and Tulsa to get away from home for life experience, and Carter's length and quickness could allow him to move on again - to an NFL city.

His high ranking didn't get him starts early (16 tackles, sack, interception in 2007; 18 tackles, 4.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks in 2008), though he played on a national championship team as a sophomore. In 2009, he got his chance to shine more regularly, earning second-team All-Southland Conference accolades with 47 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks). His production ramped up as a senior, with coaches naming him first-team all-conference in 2010 (62 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, three forced fumbles.)

While Carter could still add weight, his quickness off the snap, 34-inch arms and athleticism give him a shot as a situational passrusher in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Teams may look to grab him up in the late rounds to ensure they can secure his services.

Analysis

Positives: Prototypical height and length off the edge. Nice initial quickness and good closing speed when free to the quarterback or ballcarrier. Plays with strong hands and can get leverage to hold the edge against the run. Stays home against misdirection. Ballcarriers did not elude his grasp in space; he often threw them to the ground like rag dolls. Worked at five-technique at times, and played strong when head-up on tackles. Gets down the line quickly to chase plays. Working to finish his degree in May.

Negatives: Needs to get a bit stronger via a pro strength and conditioning program. Does not time the snap consistently, and stands up too quickly at times. Better straight-line athlete, lacks elite lateral agility. Needs work on spin and other counter pass-rush moves, will not bull rush or rip off pro tackles as he did in college. Does not get to plays when chasing as often as scouts would like. Not a dominant pass rusher at a lower level of competition. Played on special teams, though he fails to break down quickly when approaching returners.

--Chad Reuter

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1718124/markell-carter

I see 34 inch arms from NFLDraftScout.com.  I read "nice initial quickness" at the CBS site.  Arms and explosion can't be taught.  I see a report from NFLDraftScout that the kid had a hamstring injury at his pro day, so maybe his 40 times in Central Arkansas won't be his 40 times in August or later.  I see a potential project from a tiny school.

Bonuses, "he often threw them to the ground like rag dolls."  How can BB not like this?  Also, he's reportedly a tweener and BB likes them more than most coaches.

Sections
Shortcuts