The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden!

In Response to The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden!:
    [QUOTE]While everyone else was watching the Gaffney deal go down I was waiting for the BJGE replacement and surprise he just signed!I know he's BJGE's replacement because he went to Mississippi! He's a carbon copy,he rushed for 937 yards last year with 14 rushing TD's. He has skills as they say in the game,he returns kicks and was a gunner on the return teams and get this he catches the ball as well,not that he will ever see a pass in New England and this I know for sure because they have WR's coming out of the woodworks playing in New England.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

According to the NY Times, Bolden is a Patriot:

Patriots

Of course the Patriots acquired Ole Miss RB Brandon Bolden — he’s a similar style runner to BenJarvus Green-Ellis. However, don’t anticipate a repeat performance from a Rebels running back. Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen have this under control. If Vereen stays healthy, don’t be surprised if his combination of explosiveness, receiving skills and balance vaults him to the top of the depth chart. If he can add a consistent, explosive element to the Patriots running game, New England’s defense might be a liability that we don’t see on the field enough to judge: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/02/giants-jets-and-a-few-final-words-on-the-draft/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Who is Brandon Bolden?:

21. Brandon Bolden 5-11 220 Mississippi (S. 4.59) R. 7.1

Background: High School – Bolden hails from Baton Rouge, LA where he ran for 866 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior at Scotlandville Magnet HS. He also caught 12 passes out of the backfield for 256 yards en route to all-district honors. Freshman – Bolden played in all 13 games as a true freshman with the Rebels in 2008 and he ran for 542 yards, a 5.5-yard average, and five touchdowns. He had 76 yards and score on just eight carries in his college debut, vs. Memphis, and he closed out the year in the Cotton Bowl against Texas Tech with 11 rushes for 101 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore – Bolden started eight of his 13 appearances in 2009 and he averaged 4.8 yards per carry en route to 614 yards and four TDs. He also caught 20 passes out of the backfield for 209 yards and another score. He ran 13 times for 105 yards vs. Southwestern Louisiana; he ran for 89 yards on 16 carries and caught three balls for 22 yards and a touchdown at Vanderbilt; and he ran 10 times for 85 yards and a touchdown against Northern Arizona. Junior – Bolden started 11 of his 12 games played in 2010 and he set career highs in carries (163), yards (976), average per carry (6.0), touchdowns (a school record-tying 14), receptions (32), receiving yards (344), and receiving TDs (3), while also serving as the gunner on punt coverage. His best games as a junior came against Fresno State (19-228, 2 TDs; 2-15, TD rec), vs. Kentucky (23-108, TD; 2-17, TD rec), against Louisiana-Lafayette (18-136, 2 TDs; 4-80, TD rec), and at Tennessee (12-113, 2 TDs; 3 tackles and a forced fumble on special teams). Senior – This past season, Bolden played in 10 games, four as a starter, and he ran for 472 yards and four TDs, while averaging 4.9 yards per carry. He also caught 14 passes out of the backfield for 147 yards and another touchdown. Two of his six carries at Fresno State went for touchdowns, and he finished with 43 yards in that one; he ran 14 times for 68 yards vs. Arkansas; and he had a season-high 114 yards and two scores on just 13 carries at Auburn.

Analysis:
    Bolden not only has the size and running skills, but he has the versatility to help as a receiver, as a blocker, and on special teams. A lot was expected in 2011, but he didn’t produce to the level many thought possible. Overall, though, Bolden is a smart kid, a good leader, and he performed pretty well during his career in the SEC. He definitely has ability and he comes into the draft process as a big back who can offer a team a lot of versatility. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.56, did 21 reps, and had a 38” vertical jump.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden!:
    [QUOTE]According to Bleacher Report he signed with Washington http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157008-brandon-bolden-to-team-video-highlights-analysis-and-scouting-report Do you have a different link?
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]I was reading NEPatriotsdraft.com and I rechecked and he is still listed on their UDFA signed list,as of 5/02/2012 at 3:01pm

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]He's a pretty good back, wonder why a guy like him goes undrafted while vereen and ridley are 2nd and 3rd round picks. Is there that much of a difference? Baggage? I don't know, just curious. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

He broke his ankle in his first game in 2011 (against BYU) and reports are he has not been the same since.  Maybe needs more time, Pats took him, put him on Practice Squad for a year and see if he fully recovers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Don't sleep on Kettani, he's my surprise pick for the season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]Don't sleep on Kettani, he's my surprise pick for the season.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

We could put him at fullback, saving space for Bolden.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

Always need depth at RB. Minus Faulk there may be room for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]He's a pretty good back, wonder why a guy like him goes undrafted while vereen and ridley are 2nd and 3rd round picks. Is there that much of a difference? Baggage? I don't know, just curious. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

This from ProFootball Weekly on Bolden:

"...Played 10 games in 2011, starting four, and rushed 96 times for 462 yards, averaging 4.8 yards per carry...added 14 pass receptions for 147 yards (10.5 yards per catch) receiving. Suffered a hairline fracture of his left ankle in season opener against BYU...Was suspended for the Alabama game, due to a violation of team rules: http://mississippi.scout.com/2/1117246.html; and http://www.thedmonline.com/article/thursday-football-notebook-bolden-apologizes-suspension

"Team captain. Has 8 fumbles in 562 touches and a 5.4 yards per carry average....Summary: A solidly built, strong, competitive, upright RB, Bolden hasthe ability to be a #2 RB in the pros. But concerns about his character, maturity and commitment may affect his draft value. ...played second fiddle to RB Dexter McCluster as a sophomore. Endured injury, suspension...and split carries with sophomore Jeff Scott as a senior." 

Then, there's this:  http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=6298; and this:  http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=81978

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Don't sleep on Kettani, he's my surprise pick for the season.

73 ive asked twice before, with no reply by anyone who has seen him play/ or video. have you or anyone seen him play? evaluations?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden! : 73 ive asked twice before, with no reply by anyone who has seen him play/ or video. have you or anyone seen him play? evaluations?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Played for Navy averaged 5.2 ypc, rushed just under 1,000 for that season as part of a 2 headed monster attack with Shun White (not the snowboarder lol).  They led the nation in rushing that season, Kettani didn't fumble in his last two seasons (205 carries between both seasons)

He has mid 4.5 speed at 6' 230+lbs, not a ton of experience catching the ball but did had 7 catches his senior season.  Played both FB and RB in college, tough, hard working kid who will play any position the Pats put him in.

Watched him in his last game of his college career against Utah and he went nuts including a 30+ yard rush.  He took the game over.

He can play on any down on short yard situations or FB, and play special teams.  When Navy played Wake Forest a few years ago when they had a nice D including Aaron Curry Kettani punished them.  Here's something Kettani said about curry and what Curry told him, Curry might not be a beast LB in the NFL but was the best LB in college that year.
    "Linebacker Aaron Curry -- I mean, he's going to go in the first round of the NFL Draft -- and he said I'm one of the best fullbacks or running backs he's ever played against,"

Added, found the TD against UTAH

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]7303, are u talking about Kettani? I thought this thread was about Bolden. Anyone comfirm yet if he actually signed w/us?
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Not at all, thread was about Bolden but I mentioned by surprise pick would be Kettani and I was asked to give a my evaluation.

I'm dead serious about the kid.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

As off 18 hours ago on the Redskins site they did not have Bolden as having signed as an UDFA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Ok 7393, I think Kettani can do some things as well. Its nice to see we have the necesarry backs to compliment all this WR help for Brady. Its really all about IF they want to utilize it now, but our running game can be devastating agian with the use of a fullback and the young talent we have now.
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Reason I would give an edge to Kettani even though Bolden might be a better athlete is the IF question.  Kettani is bigger, one cut back with similar speed to Bolden but no character concerns.  You get a Vet type work ethic in a rookie.  With no true Vet right now Bolden is not the type of player I like to have with two other young players.  Kettani is a bit older 25 I think, and will do what ever he's asked to do.  No fumble history, between the tackel runner who has decent speed. 
    I can't deny Bolden's ability but if I had to choose one over the other I take Kettani right now.

I can't find anything about Bolden signing with NE.  Rotoworld its pretty good at announcing all signings but nothing.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I liked Kettani when he played at the Naval academy good tough tackle to tackle runner.He's been out of the game for 3 years so his coming back will be a tougher road to hoe.As for Bolden he's just a jag at this point in time and he will have stiff competition for the one remaining job in the backfield including Joseph Addai and the three FB's the Patriots signed during the off season and you can be sure that Larsen will have a head start because he's already been indoctrinated into the Josh McDaniels offense having played for Josh in Denver,and he also plays more than one position as he can play the H-back and some LB as well..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Patriots just signed Brandon Bolden! : Played for Navy averaged 5.2 ypc, rushed just under 1,000 for that season as part of a 2 headed monster attack with Shun White (not the snowboarder lol).  They led the nation in rushing that season, Kettani didn't fumble in his last two seasons (205 carries between both seasons) He has mid 4.5 speed at 6' 230+lbs, not a ton of experience catching the ball but did had 7 catches his senior season.  Played both FB and RB in college, tough, hard working kid who will play any position the Pats put him in. Watched him in his last game of his college career against Utah and he went nuts including a 30+ yard rush.  He took the game over. He can play on any down on short yard situations or FB, and play special teams.  When Navy played Wake Forest a few years ago when they had a nice D including Aaron Curry Kettani punished them.  Here's something Kettani said about curry and what Curry told him, Curry might not be a beast LB in the NFL but was the best LB in college that year. "Linebacker Aaron Curry -- I mean, he's going to go in the first round of the NFL Draft -- and he said I'm one of the best fullbacks or running backs he's ever played against," Added, found the TD against UTAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zs0ZvVg9uo

much appreciated pats.
    has he got a burst?
    a 2nd gear?
    capable of breakaways?
    not much pass catching?
    intersting collection of backs we have.
    is boldent the best potential all purpose back or is that riddley.
    i dont think you can let bolden go.
    we need a potential all purpose guy behind our potetnial all purpose guy (riddley).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For the inquiring minds this years camp is looking like an all out war! Fight for your job or be gone!! They have so much depth it isn't funny!! 11 receivers fighting for 7 jobs,3 FB's fighting for 1 job,5 TE's for 3 jobs,6 QB's for 3 jobs (I included Edelman and Roark as QB's because they need the extra qualifications just to stay in the hunt for any spot)4 RB's for 3 jobs(it could be 5 if they allow Faulk to compete),15 OL fighting for 10 jobs,9 LB'S for 6 jobs,9 OLB's/DE's fighting for 4 jobs, and 9 DE's/DT's fighting for 5 jobs. Thats a lot of competition!!!!!Then of course the other 3 guys are solid Gotkowski,Mesko and Aikens,though BB even brought in a kicker to give Gotkowski some competition Koepplin from U-Mass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think Koepplin is there to take some of the load off Gost. during camp and as a favor to give the guy an exhibition for other teams. But the rest of the competition will be fierce. It will even been fierce at DB though I am a little unsure of the quality there, as opposed to the other positions.