The Patriots offense will be more productive/lethal this year than in 2007.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

The Patriots offense will be more productive/lethal this year than in 2007.

Barring no injury to Brady/Moss, this is my prediction for the 2010 season. 

Any takers here?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: The Patriots offense will be more productive/lethal this year than in 2007.

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

just imagine if the patriots had a real running back :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

yeah I will go against that.

There was another thread about this earlier. I gave my reasons then if anyone wants them I can try to find the comments.

Its a very tall order to be more prolific than 2007.

Just my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I agree to a degree. If you're saying they'll score more points and break records, eh, I doubt that.

If you measure productivity based on how long they hang onto the ball (and thus keeping the defense off the field) then yes, it'll be more lethal. In 2007, we'd have quick strikes and teams would be down 21 after one quarter. They'd have to throw their game plan out the window and focus on passing, which gave our defense the cue to start going after the QB. We took risks, picked passes and it worked beautifully that year. That won't be a luxury this year, at least for the early part of the season as the defense is still young and inexperienced. Initially, this offense will be asked to go on long, methodical drives and FINISH (unlike last year).

Still, it'll be a fun offense to watch with a healthy Brady and hungry Moss. The X factor will be Gronkowski. He's going to be a terror this year. Watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

sure, have better tightend that can catch. hopefully the RBs (Taylor, Morris & Faulk)can stay healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I highly doubt it, if raw stats are your guide. But then, I don't think the 2007 offense,in identical form, health, etcetera, could even match those numbers. But I do think this offense will be #1 in the league in scoring and yardage. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

2007 was special. We had blowouts in the beginning, but the later games got tougher..

I like our offense this year - a little concerned about the O-line though...

I believe we will start out having pretty tight games and as the D becomes more experienced and jells, the second half of the season will be more exciting..

Nevertheless, I do think our Offense will be in the top 3 - if not #1..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dodie2g. Show dodie2g's posts

I dunno but for me it's still all about the defense and how much time or O get on the field. No matter how explosive our O maybe. Our D is what concerns me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think we'll have a top five or six offense for sure but don't see breaking 2007. Our offensive line won't be nearly as good as 2007 (hope I'm wrong) - a line that didn't let us down till of course the Super Bowl....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots offense will be more productive/lethal this year than in 2007.:
    [QUOTE]just imagine if the patriots had a real running back :-)
    Posted by BruinsNumber4[/QUOTE]

And a Defense that didn't have more holes than a japenese bladder. It is all on Brady this year more so than ever. Even Manning gets a much better D than Brady. For years Brady had average receivers that he made look great and now he carries the D as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Our 2007 offense wasn't even as good as our 2007 offense.  While we did catch the league by surprise and built up one heck of a "stat cache" for a good part of the season, the league deciphered our offense and made it a little more human from the Eagles game onward.  The offense was still darn good, but it wouldn't have broken a single record had they played all year like they did from the Eagles game on.  D coordinators (with requisite talent) figured how to effectively blitz and disrupt.  If there is any one area where I think Brady is simply average, it's picking apart the blitz.  IMHO, his rep is greater than reality in that one area.  So what, he's still a great QB.  I don't think he'll have a better O-Line this year that will better protect him either.

So I highly doubt we'll break any records like 2007.  We're not going to surprise anyone this year.  However, I do think we stand a great chance at being a better offense than the offense that ended 2007.  As others have pointed out, 2007 was special.  It was a rare event.  I'd rather see us just have a very good and balanced offense that brings home the Lombardi.  I think the O will do its part.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In ways this offense looks better than 07, but in ways not as good. The line is a bit of a concern, though Brady seems to have more weapons. But it's like apdynasty said, they need to have long drives that end up with seven points. The defense is young and will be tested. The longer they can hold the ball the better it will go on D. If they try to win a shootout it might be disaster (see the Rams game). Barring injury I see the offense right up there with the likes of the Colts and Saints. But to acheive the real objective will take the defense getting their act together by at least Thanksgiving. I do love what Gronk brings to the table, though. Not since Ben Coates have they had a TE who looks like he could be a real red zone asset. I know you cannot swear by preseason performances, but this guy looed like a TG out there. He's got heart, and he's got great size. I think he'll be what we were hoping Watson would. And Randy is playing for a contract, that has to be good. So I think this offense will be the best since 07. But if the defense doesn't gel then it will all be for naught. Besides, I don't really give a rat's behind about records and stats. The only truly satisfying end to the season is a fourth Lombardi!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I will say, Moss doesn't matter much.  He will mainly be a decoy, drawing the defenders off deep.  Tate in that spot, if Moss gets injured, may be more effective as coverage MAY leave him and we get the deep shot.  I was NOT impressed with the 2nd half of 2007, we seemed one dimensional and got away with it BARELY.  If the Ravens hadn't had an emotional meltdown we surely would have lost that game.  Maybe we would have been better off if we lost it.  Anyway, I see an offense that will score more points than that team did, but no individual stats will match, except maybe Brady's.  WE WILL BE ABLE TO RUN, AND MARONEY WILL BE OUR STARTING R.B. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

THE LEAGUES BEST OFFENSE
         1.  Moss without an injured shoulder.
         2.  Tate with ability to run after catch better than Stallworth
         3.  Wes Welker even at 90%
         4.  Edelman,runs routes, more speed and elusiveness than Gaffney
         5.  Crumpler,a better blocker & pass catcher than Watson altho w/o the speed
         6.  Gronk, a new weapon with speed, blocking, & recieving ability.
         7.  Hernandez, new weapon outstanding reciever with ability to run after catch.
         8. Tom Brady, healthy.

ASIDE TO JETS FANS.
        Uh, how many recievers can Revis cover on one play?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots offense will be more productive/lethal this year than in 2007.:
    [QUOTE]THE LEAGUES BEST OFFENSE      1.  Moss without an injured shoulder.      2.  Tate with ability to run after catch better than Stallworth      3.  Wes Welker even at 90%      4.  Edelman,runs routes, more speed and elusiveness than Gaffney      5.  Crumpler,a better blocker & pass catcher than Watson altho w/o the speed      6.  Gronk, a new weapon with speed, blocking, & recieving ability.      7.  Hernandez, new weapon outstanding reciever with ability to run after catch.      8. Tom Brady, healthy. ASIDE TO JETS FANS.     Uh, how many recievers can Revis cover on one play?     
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]

Someone started a thread like this back either before camp or at the begining of camp.

Some of these points might be out of context now at this time but I am not going to bother updating them as you can get the idea.

Here were my initial thoughts on the idea back then.

1) 2007 was a special and charmed year for the Patriots right up till the end. They were able to Galvanize with a Team vs the world attitude because of Spy Gate. So far there is no event like that happening around this 2010 team to generate that added incentive.

2) 2007 was the 1st year they ever loaded up at WR and unleashed the spread offense in that primary way. Opposing teams had to rewrite the book on defending the NE Patriots. New primary receivers Moss and Welker in the New Patriot offensive system. As well as Josh McD's own flavor on it and tendencies. Not only did teams adjust all the way through 2007 to the Patriots WR's and offense they have had multiple years more to do it and have and continue to do it. The 2009 offense with Brady was completely stymied way to often and until Brady and company prove otherwise in 2010 we can't assume they won't have similar games or half's in 2010. 

3) Josh McDaniel's vs. Bill O'Brien?

4) In 2007 all 4 top receivers were multi year NFL veteran WR's allowing for a greater possibility to come out of the proverbial gate firing on all cylinders. 2010? Well if Holt ends up being one of the top 4 this year then we will have 3 veterans but its possible that Edeleman, Tate, are ahead of him on the depth chart. It's just all unknown right now until the real competition starts. If they have more youth in the mix at the top then chances are they may start a bit slower but gradually getting better through the course of the season as they gain more experience. To top or come close to the record setting 2007 numbers a team has to start the season hitting on all cylinders and never slow.

5) Strength of schedule. On paper the 2007 team schedule was moderately difficult. The 2010 team faces a much more difficult schedule and tighter division right now, on paper.

6) Luck. Every championship team has some luck and good fortune go its way during the run to the super bowl. Turn overs, bounces, calls, etc. I am sure I was one of the few complaining about Brady's decision making during the 2007 season since it kept working. Honestly in my opinion Moss and Brady had horse shoes up their butt during that season. The number of successful completions that Brady threw into double and triple coverage for Moss was ridiculous. Those are very low percentage throws no matter how great Moss and Brady are. You can not "expect" that same luck into double and triple coverage again, they did not have it last year in 09.

7) Health. In 2007 the charmed Patriots remained relatively healthy for the entire season. That's not typically the case every season and no one yet knows how healthy the 2010 team can remain.

There are actually a number of other variables to bring up revolving around positions and inexperience vs the age and experience of the 2007 team.

Lets also not forget the amount of tries the offense needs to get and that requires the defense to get them the ball back quicker and more often.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ...Honestly in my opinion Moss and Brady had horse shoes up their butt during that season. The number of successful completions that Brady threw into double and triple coverage for Moss was ridiculous. Those are very low percentage throws no matter how great Moss and Brady are. You can not "expect" that same luck into double and triple coverage again, they did not have it last year in 09...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Made some good points.  This one in particular is painful to me and is related to the overreaction some had to Brady's interception in preseason.  The fact that Brady threw one pick in preseason hardly bothers me.  The fact that it occurred on a deep ball to Moss gave me flashbacks to what you describe about last year, even if he wasn't triple covered.  Not only were those low percentage passes to Moss not working much last year, but they often resulted in interceptions.  At some point I just figured they would also come to that conclusion.  When I saw the same thing this preseason, I had to take a shot of liqueur.  OK, I didn't need much convincing to take a shot.  I really hope they try those throws a whole lot less this year.  They are great when they work, but they frequently make the other team's highlights as well with the pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]I agree to a degree. If you're saying they'll score more points and break records, eh, I doubt that. If you measure productivity based on how long they hang onto the ball (and thus keeping the defense off the field) then yes, it'll be more lethal. In 2007, we'd have quick strikes and teams would be down 21 after one quarter. ...Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

They led the NFL in TOP last year and were second in 2007.  So I'm not sure possessing the ball has been a problem.  They finished 4th in total defense in 2007 and 11th last year, which was appreciably better than the Colts or Saints.  And neither of those teams ran the ball very well last year.  Indy was next to last in TOP and last in rushing. 

People talk about 2007 as if it was a crappy football team that happened to score a lot of points.  In my opinion, it was the best team in NFL history in almost any way you want to slice it.  They just got beat on a fluke play in the last game.  Doesn't take away from what they accomplished.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I think we'll have a top five or six offense for sure but don't see breaking 2007. Our offensive line won't be nearly as good as 2007 (hope I'm wrong) - a line that didn't let us down till of course the Super Bowl....
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I'm betting that Z is right we'll have the #1 offense this yearSmile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

caraway, in that preseason game Brady was throwing to a wide open Moss. He just under threw it.

Regarding the offense, I don't think they need to be as lethal as 2007, they just need to be more balanced and less predictable than last year.

The 2007 offense may never be repeated. Like Low stated, that offense had a huge chip(spygate) on their shoulders.

I just want to see them close out games better this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]People talk about 2007 as if it was a crappy football team that happened to score a lot of points.  In my opinion, it was the best team in NFL history in almost any way you want to slice it.  They just got beat on a fluke play in the last game.  Doesn't take away from what they accomplished.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]
    I agree. In my mind, that team was the best in NFL history.