The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.

After a quick glance at the remaining games for the two best afc teams, the Patriots and Colts (in that order!), Indy seems to have an easier path unless the Pats go unbeaten the rest of the way and win the head to head tiebraker should Indy lose again after this weekend. That said this is why the Patriots WILL win this game and probably by two touchdowns. The Patriots will try to run the ball more for two reasons. The first one would be to slow down the outside rush and give Brady the time to hit Moss deep on play action after the safeties come up in run support. Second the Patriots are running it better and the left side of the line should be able to open holes for a "determined" Maroney against their smaller d-lineman, and linebackers. Volmer and Mankins are much bigger and are both athletic enough to reach the second level of defenders. The Colts havent had to stop the run for the most part with the exception of their game against San Francisco, and they allowed 119 yards in that game on 20 carries so I wouldnt call that being stout. Pats run with success opening up play action and easily win by two touchdowns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.

With all respect to Indy and NE, you cant forget about Pittsburgh.

They did win the SB last year and are starting to look tough.  They have won 4 straight I think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

Re: The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.

In Response to Re: The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.:
    With all respect to Indy and NE, you cant forget about Pittsburgh. They did win the SB last year and are starting to look tough.  They have won 4 straight I think.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I would put Pittsburgh as the third ranked team right now. They are tough and play real physical football. Their remaining schedule and their current record though would put them at #3. We'll see how the season shakes out and who is playing the best ball when the playoffs roll around but I say the Pats will be representing the AFC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though.:
    With all respect to Indy and NE, you cant forget about Pittsburgh. They did win the SB last year and are starting to look tough.  They have won 4 straight I think.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

It was the first team I thought of before I read the post. You never know Cincy could surprise everybody so this weekend will go a long way towards answering this question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

dshort...

Opinions aside about whether or not the Pats win this game, I believe this game will tell us if the Pats are better than the Colts, or even the Steelers in the AFC. Touch to place them above the Colts as this time given how each team has started the season.  If the Pats are that good, they should have beaten the Broncos and Jets since in neither game did they really look good, overall.  They need to win against a quality team.  Yes, they have blown out bad teams, as you would expect a good team to do, have some good wins against the Ravens, Falcons and Phins, but, need that all important versus an elite team win.  They have improved every week, so this is the type of game they break out.  Also, the Colts will be far more "up" for this game than they may have been for the 49'ers and the Texans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots will win with the running game. Will probably finish second in AFC though. : It was the first team I thought of before I read the post. You never know Cincy could surprise everybody so this weekend will go a long way towards answering this question.
    Posted by Evil2009

Look, I still don't believe in any of this 'champs until you are beat'. You are what you are for a given year and game. It should have been clear that last year, the Colts were not the same Colts as they are w/ O-line issues, nor are the Pats the same without Brady (isn't that obvious now, e.g., would the Pats not have finished at least 12-4 with Brady?)... nor Tenn without Johnson (cost them that playoff game?), nor the Giants without Plax.  I don't like 'yeah, buts' because the NFL is always about depth and injuries when it comes to the Super Bowl and playoffs; just don't also carry over some notion that what happened last year makes any difference on who is winning this year... Just ask the Bengals, who are even a 'fluke' play from being 7-1.. Or Tenn, who might very well behind VY quietly put back together a 'average' season... I mean, is Miami actually 'much better' this year? I kinda think so despite the record... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

dshort... Opinions aside about whether or not the Pats win this game, I believe this game will tell us if the Pats are better than the Colts, or even the Steelers in the AFC. Touch to place them above the Colts as this time given how each team has started the season.  If the Pats are that good, they should have beaten the Broncos and Jets since in neither game did they really look good, overall.  They need to win against a quality team.  Yes, they have blown out bad teams, as you would expect a good team to do, have some good wins against the Ravens, Falcons and Phins, but, need that all important versus an elite team win.  They have improved every week, so this is the type of game they break out.  Also, the Colts will be far more "up" for this game than they may have been for the 49'ers and the Texans.
    Posted by agcsbill

I might argue the oppossite. Maybe the Pats didn't 'beat' the Broncos or Jets, but they showed everyone else how to beat them ?... Most teams aren't 'figured out' early on. What says Denver's slide isn't because of something NE taught those following physical defenses?  It is all a match-up thing... Shouldn't Pitt have beaten the Bears by your logic? One cannot just ignore the context of a season, injuries, teams like NE and Brady working out the kinks/rust, etc...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I would go New England and Indy as the top two as well. When Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have the number 1 and number 2 scoring defenses in the league, it means that other teams better watch out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Ending up 2nd isn't so bad in the AFC for the Pats. Everytime since Bob Kraft took over this team when the Pats are #2 they went on to play in the Super Bowl and won 2 of the 3 Super Bowls at that position.

Sections
Shortcuts