The Pats are a pretty good football team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Pats are a pretty good football team

In the off-season, I stated that the Pats are simply a pretty good football team.  They are.  Interestingly, many posters who are still waiting for the finish to the 16-0 (regular season) team are still waiting for closure, jumped all over this remark.  Of course, the injury to Brady, post-poned this much awaited cap and maintained the demand for perfection for an additional season.

Admittedly, I was not sure if this year's team was even a good football team, after the first 5 games.  However, they went on to win 4 of their next 5, losing a tough one in Indy.  Many believe that the latter was simply a tribute to Indy's ability to win the big games; comeback in the final minutes.

Obviously, the Pats have problems (1-4) winning on the road.  In addition, they cannot stop the tough offenses posed by the great teams.  Yeah, Indy and NO are great football teams this year.

So far, it appears as though the Pats are...a pretty good football team.  Although they didn't make this impression last night, I am convinced that they will have a pretty good season.  After all, they have a winning record; decent net points stat; and are winning their division.  They will mosts likely make the play-offs!

Unfortunately, they have 3 away games left.  If they lose all 3, they will end up 9-7.  (This may still be good enough to make the play-offs in their weaker division.)

If however, they wish to maintain their pretty good status, they will need to win a play-off game.  Otherwise, I will downgrade this year's team to just a good football team.  Unfortunately, they might not get home field advantage, so attaining that pretty good status might be more difficult that it appears at this junction.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: The Pats are a pretty good football team

In Response to The Pats are a pretty good football team:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, Indy and NO are great football teams this year. [/QUOTE]

No. New orleans is a great football team. Minnesota is a great football team. Indy is not great. They are good, lucky, and field twelve men on offense and defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abe711. Show abe711's posts

We're a great team. 59-0 againt tennessee. I mean we have the ability to put up some awesome numbers. But our defense needs to step it ip big time, Have to stop building our corners and safetys into unbelieveable players and then letting them go( i.e- Seymour, Samuel, Hobbs, etc.) can even go as far back as Ty Law and Lawyer milloy. We get a rythem gong with these guys, they turn out to be pro-bowl players and we let them go. Why? For unproven draft picks and $$$ we dont use wisely. Thinks of the unstopable team we would've had all these years if we kept the guys  that prove themselves and take us where we need to go( ablove mentioned players). As i said already we have a awesome team , just some things front office have to consider

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abe711. Show abe711's posts

I know Seymour is not a corner or safety but any defensive player you know what i mean

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abe711. Show abe711's posts

We will be there in the end you can bet your A S S though

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are a pretty good football team:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Pats are a pretty good football team : No. New orleans is a great football team. Minnesota is a great football team. Indy is not great. They are good, lucky, and field twelve men on offense and defense.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Both Indy and NO are undefeated...that counts for something.  In fact, it wasn't as thought the 16-0 Pats walked all over Baltimore; it was all about coming out ahead with the win.  Of course, Indy did this against the Pats.  Perhaps, they deserve some credit, yeah?

I might have mentioned Minnesota, but I believe I went with the top two.  However, you do make a valid point- the Vikes are great this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]We're a great team. 59-0 againt tennessee. I mean we have the ability to put up some awesome numbers. But our defense needs to step it ip big time,
    Posted by abe711[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would like to believe this.  However, the Pats were very lucky to squeak by Buffalo; didn't show up for the second hald against the Jets in their first meeting.  In addition, they were so intimidated by Indy's offense that they blew a win.  And, there's last night...looking like a 7-4 team that doesn't usually win on the road.

The defense is not consistently good; the offense is not a sure thing, anymore.  Overall, however, they are pretty good...ho-hum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are a pretty good football team : Both Indy and NO are undefeated...that counts for something.  In fact, it wasn't as thought the 16-0 Pats walked all over Baltimore; it was all about coming out ahead with the win.  Of course, Indy did this against the Pats.  Perhaps, they deserve some credit, yeah? I might have mentioned Minnesota, but I believe I went with the top two.  However, you do make a valid point- the Vikes are great this year.
    Posted by BTownExpress

I tend to hold with this view on the Colts.  They find ways to win.

The inequality in pass interference calls in their favor versus against them (and also in illegal contact especially) are independent of the end result against the Patriots.  For me, Maroney's fumble and settling for two field goals in the red zone is what cost them.

Add Cincinnati and San Diego to the list of high quality teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This may be plain shocking to non-Pats fans, but my system of ranking who is ahead of who, and by how much, after three quarters of play,  still ranks the Pats on top.  They lost some stature, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE] Add Cincinnati and San Diego to the list of high quality teams.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  However, I just grabbed the two undefeated teams that just happen to beat the Pats when naming a pair of great teams for 2009.  As another pointed out, the Vikes are a great team (i.e. balanced attack) this year, as well.  However, the Bengals and Chargers would certainly be considered a quality opponents; a high quality team.

If the Pats go 3-2 for the remainder of the season, they'll end up a 10-6 team, which is usually a wild card near miss in a strong conference.  Fortunately, they are in a weaker (performing) division this year.  Maybe they'll make the best of it?  If not, perhaps, we can say that they had a very good season?

Does anyone believe that the Pats stood a better chance of challenging last year?  (Now, that's an interesting thought.)  After all, it seemed like the 2008 team was playing great ball at the end of the year, but could not make up for earlier losses to overcome Miami's good showing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

This may be plain shocking to non-Pats fans, but my system of ranking who is ahead of who, and by how much, after three quarters of play,  still ranks the Pats on top.
    Posted by Paul_K

I believe that your stats might place the Pats on top.  However, skewed statistics also indicate that the world will end if we don't fork over $145 trillion to the climate clowns.  It is simply not realistic to look at only three quarters of play.  In fact, that would be like looking at how a baseball team performs without a setup man and closer. 

Perhaps, there is some utility in your 3-quarter stats, though?  To be more precise, one might be able to deduce how/why they are losing games they might otherwise be prepped to win?  Are they being out-coached?  Is the effort there for the whole game?  Try comparing the 4th (an ugly) quarters to the rest of the league and see where they end up.  Now, I'm curious.  Are the 4th quarter stats for the Pats that dismal?  Of course, the Buffalo game had Patriots Nation believing that the magic was back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

This thread has now been downgraded.  More specifically, the Pats are now just a good football team (i.e. no lifting adjectives).

The cannot win on the road; they do not finish it off in the red zone; the defense is weak.  They no longer control the clock; cannot beat the great teams.

Personally, I wouldn't give Brady/Moss the big bucks.  Perhaps, it's time for big changes?  It's now the second year, after the big choke.  It appears that the team is getting progressively worse.  (I mentioned this in off-season threads; got attacked.)

Has anyone noticed that the Pats let almost any/every opposing team back in the game?  It's as though they get ahead and quit...on themselves, the team, and the fans.  FYI: there are a lot of stats (e.g. some presented in the Miami game; other posters) that back up the fact that the Pats are just letting opposing teams  walk all over them toward the end of halves/games...not a good sign at all!

If the Pats do not make the playoffs, I'd have to say that the Pats are simply a competitive team that provides Sunday entertainment.  Maybe, that's where they are, now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]This thread has now been downgraded.  More specifically, the Pats are now just a good football team (i.e. no lifting adjectives). The cannot win on the road; they do not finish it off in the red zone; the defense is weak.  They no longer control the clock; cannot beat the great teams. Personally, I wouldn't give Brady/Moss the big bucks.  Perhaps, it's time for big changes?  It's now the second year, after the big choke.  It appears that the team is getting progressively worse.  (I mentioned this in off-season threads; got attacked.) Has anyone noticed that the Pats let almost any/every opposing team back in the game?  It's as though they get ahead and quit...on themselves, the team, and the fans.  FYI: there are a lot of stats (e.g. some presented in the Miami game; other posters) that back up the fact that the Pats are just letting opposing teams  walk all over them toward the end of halves/games...not a good sign at all! If the Pats do not make the playoffs, I'd have to say that the Pats are simply a competitive team that provides Sunday entertainment.  Maybe, that's where they are, now?
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

I don't think you start from scratch with the offense - you ride it as far as it will take you.

I think they have to get the tackle situation squared away and I think they need to find a 3rd receiver.

It's the defense that needs help.  They DESPERATELY need a pass rusher or two.  They can't get a sack if their lives depended on it, and regularly fail to do so when the game depends on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepatsfan523. Show nepatsfan523's posts

[QUOTE]I think they need to find a 3rd receiver. It's the defense that needs help.  They DESPERATELY need a pass rusher or two.  They can't get a sack if their lives depended on it, and regularly fail to do so when the game depends on it.
    Aiken looks like he might be pretty good: Its just that Bill OBrien does not like to have him run good routes, he only ahs him run deep flys

The pressure is the main problem. Who knows? If seymour wasnt traded, maybe Wilhite doesnt look like the fool he is now!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

"The Pats are a pretty good football team."  What gives cause to think that?  The empirical evidence suggests that we're okay at home, but we're absolutely terrible anywhere else on this continent (less London).  Consider:
    -  We're a bone-headed move by a Buffalo Bill kickoff returner from having a 6 and 6 vice a 7 and 5 record.
    -  We've been outplayed by average teams (per their record at the beginning of the contest) in the 2nd half.  We've made questionable coaching decisions and compounded those decisions by calling questionable calls.  Example:  we go for it on 4th and less than one, yet on that play, Moss and Welker are on the bench.  There are others but I digress.
    -  Our offense for all of its potential and bit-name stars cannot, repeat cannot sustain quality play in the 2nd half of games.  Need proof - take a gander at our points scored against ANYONE in the 2nd half.  Less the TN and Tampa Bay games, I think you'll fine the scales clearly leaning in our opponents favor.
    -  Our D stinks.  Any other description better than "it stinks" is clearly not supported by any reasonable statistic.
    -  Tom Brady has been careless with the ball.  He's thrown into coverage on several occasions, including the red and end zones, whilst our receivers were clearly covered.  His INT's today, and in the game against NO absolutely changed the tide of "winable" games.
    -  Our special teams on a whole are absolutely poor.  I know there'll be folks who disagree with that, but Ghost has missed makeable FGs, our coverage units have not performed well, and we don't know how to pin teams back via punt.  Today was the first game I've noticed that our Punter was able to hit a coffin corner - and in reviewing the kick, that was more a function of a lucky bounce than a "planned" kick.
    -  We get simply stupid penalties called on us in crucial times.  I'm not talking about phantom PI calls against the Colts folks, but no-kidding, "we did it" penalties at crucial times in ball games.
    -  Our management of precious time outs has been reminiscent of Andy Reid.  I can't remember how many times, we wasted timeouts for reviewing obvious plays that didn't go our way, beginning a series after a timeout, etc.  Quite frankly, one of BB's and TB's better traits was prudent use of scarce time-outs.  Not this year.
    -  We seem to have lost the swagger required to make plays happen.  Joe Theisman was an oft-criticized announcer, but he did say (often) something simply profound - "players need to make plays."  We have not done that and have done a terrific job of allowing opposing players to do just that.

All is not lost.  We've had some front office and coaching turnover and that's the bane of the well-run organization's existance.  However, I expect BB and Kraft to recognize when they need help.  It was a very admirable trait that they have somehow lost.  Lots of NFL-wide changes coming up this off-season.  Dynasties, by the very nature of the way the NFL operates aren't suppose to happen.  We've been a top-line organization for nearly a decade.  We have alot to be proud of - but at the end of the day, we're no longer among the elite.  What will be interesting are the efforts we do or do not make in the off season to elevate ourselves back to "elite" status.  Face it, we've slipped a notch as all teams are bound to do in the present NFL environment - let's hope we're smart enough as an organization to recognize this fact and take the steps necessary to reverse this trend.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]It's the defense that needs help.  They DESPERATELY need a pass rusher or two.  They can't get a sack if their lives depended on it, and regularly fail to do so when the game depends on it.

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]"The Pats are a pretty good football team."  What gives cause to think that?

Face it, we've slipped a notch as all teams are bound to do in the present NFL environment - let's hope we're smart enough as an organization to recognize this fact and take the steps necessary to reverse this trend.
    Posted by simroy[/QUOTE]

My points, exactly!  For example, I downgraded the "pretty good" to just...good.  In addition, I predicted that they might only go 3-2 for the remainder of the season last week.  Already, they have lost one of those away games.

Please bear in mind, I posted the jist of this thread during the off-season and got slammed by those who were (obviously) anticipating the team to finish off their undefeated season...from a few years, ago.  More specifically, I boldly mentioned that the team has gotten worse; many other teams improved.  (Perhaps, some other board members remembers this...and all the guff I took?)

At this junction, the team cannot:
    1) control the football (clock)
    2) win on the road
    3) finish quarters, halves, and games,
    4) punch it in from the redline
    5) stopp the opposing offense
    6) afford to keep the current staff that still believes that they can do 1-5

Oh, well.  I guess we're back to the days where we're happy (i.e. relieved) just to make the play-offs.  Oh, happy day!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Good teams that get to the 5 yard line twice usually....
    score 14 points
    score 10 points
    Not so good teams...
    score 6 points
    score 3 points
    Lousy teams...
    score 0 points, can't make one yard and throw ints. in the endzone

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Good teams that get to the 5 yard line twice usually.... score 14 points score 10 points Not so good teams... score 6 points score 3 points Lousy teams... score 0 points, can't make one yard and throw ints. in the endzone
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

If they had a "Like" button similar to the one on Facebook, I would click it right now for you.

Well said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

[QUOTE]This may be plain shocking to non-Pats fans, but my system of ranking who is ahead of who, and by how much, after three quarters of play,  still ranks the Pats on top.  They lost some stature, though.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Paul,  are you fcuking kidding me?  What is with this 3 qtrs crap?? That's not a full game.  Here's some math for you, 4 qtrs = full game and 3 qtrs = 3/4's of a game.  I do get a good laugh at your bas tard rankings....... "How can I try to fool everyone into thinking that the Pats are the best team in football??  I know, I'll only count 3/4th's of the game.  Yeah, that's it... And I'll use some big words and a lot of fuzzy, confusing math and they'll all think I'm smart."  Paul, you're rankings are stupid and are only your opinions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]Good teams that get to the 5 yard line twice usually.... score 14 points score 10 points Not so good teams... score 6 points score 3 points Lousy teams... score 0 points, can't make one yard and throw ints. in the endzone
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Pats are a pretty good football team : Aiken looks like he might be pretty good: Its just that Bill OBrien does not like to have him run good routes, he only ahs him run deep flys The pressure is the main problem. Who knows? If seymour wasnt traded, maybe Wilhite doesnt look like the fool he is now!
    Posted by nepatsfan523[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, if the Pats had another (long) threat, they would be much more effective.  Aiken certainly is making a case to work in this role.  However, Stalllworth would/could open things up every game.  Even if he did gain much yardage, it seems he had an effect...like makig Moss more effective.

Yeah, a lot of posters are ragging on Wilhite.  Personally, I'm not big on the defense.  The fact that BB did not want to give Indy the ball (at the end of the game) speaks volumes for how the coach thinks about his own D.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsRush. Show SportsRush's posts

Teams age, coaches age, systems age.

NE won their first SB in Feb '02, their last SB in Feb '05.

It is now almost 2010. The dynasty is over.

They need to rebuild on both sides of the ball.

Sections
Shortcuts