The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1anddone-again. Show 1anddone-again's posts

Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!!

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!!:
    Wow! if that wasn't the worse game Brady has ever played in New England!!  He was horrible, the D kept them in the game, and Brady ran that last drive the way most Pats fans make fun of other QBs in the game like Sanchez. How do you have the ball inside the 20 with a lot of time to go like 1:30 or so, and Manning has been the best come from behind QB this year as he got his fifth 4th Q win this year.  Why did TB keep throwing the ball, trying to score so fast.  I have never seen him do that even once in his career. There is something wrong with this offense, and Brady is beginning to lose it big time, and it saddens me that he can't win close big games any more, thou once in a while he can, but every time they are in a tough game, the offense falls apart and once again today, Brady led the charge.  I watched Tebow today, and he looked like a seasoned veteran compared to Brady. I can't remember the last time I felt sick after a game like today.
    Posted by quasi

I'm a Jets fan but got to say you front running morons attacking Brady no NOTHING about football... Guy is still best... Has NO OTHER talent on O and still moves team up and down field.  Gets go ahead score late in fourth quarter on 4th and 8 and you IDIOTS think he is problem.  I'll tell you what lets trade quarterbacks for next week and see what happens.... You are all tools with Riding with King being the biggest NO Nothing tool of all.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!!:
    It's hard to understand why Brady would be this bad with the talent around him. Stunning, actually.  And it's on he or O'Brien. If you look at the concerted focus to run early, it was working fine. But, then O'Brien or Brady himself controlling the offense, ruins the game by leaving in the second half. They just get obsessed with passing and then force play calls and throws. I'd take a 3 and out and a good punt/cover over a horrible drive killing INT. Brady had 4 INTs in this game, 2 were dropped. Unacceptable.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

All you said was true, and did you see that pathetic last drive?  It was a joke.  He had the ball around the Giants 30 with about 1:30 to go, and he was trying to get the TD right away like he was out of time, instead of taking some time off the clock running 1-2 plays or getting the 1st down at the 8 yd line or where ever it was.

That showed me how stressed and unconfident he has become for the 3rd game in a row. The D played their hearts out and if he had led this team to a lead earlier, they would have won the game.  The last 2 Giant drives were a case of Arrington forgetting how to play the ball, otherwise the D was awesome and the D was?  i can't say it or the Globe won't allow this to go through.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!! : I'm a Jets fan but got to say you front running morons attacking Brady no NOTHING about football... Guy is still best... Has NO OTHER talent on O and still moves team up and down field.  Gets go ahead score late in fourth quarter on 4th and 8 and you IDIOTS think he is problem.  I'll tell you what lets trade quarterbacks for next week and see what happens.... You are all tools with Riding with King being the biggest NO Nothing tool of all.....
    Posted by 1anddone-again

1anddone, I would love to have Sanchez, because he can finish a game, come from behind and win a close game. Brady hasn't done that w/ any consistency since before 07.  His stats are great, but he can't score in the playoffs, and Sanchez wins big games.

Brady looks lost when he is behind these days, and that last drive was pathetic. He tried to score as fast as possible as if we needed the ball back again with a onside kick or something.

He scored on 4th and 8 because he tried to force the ball into the end zone every down all at once and the clock ticked about 12 seconds for 4 downs rather than run some clock so Eli doesn't get the chance to do what he does best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Just terrible clock management by Brady and the Pats. The way the game is today,  nobody can stop the hurry - up final drive , certainly not the Pat's porous pass defense. You cannot leave that much time on the clock and think that you have won the game. The Giant's comeback was predictable.  Belichick and Brady are living off of their reputations , but they are not living up to them.  Patriots will lose again next week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

impatient...that is what tb has become

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

It's hard to understand why Brady would be this bad with the talent around him. Stunning, actually.  And it's on he or O'Brien. If you look at the concerted focus to run early, it was working fine. But, then O'Brien or Brady himself controlling the offense, ruins the game by leaving in the second half. They just get obsessed with passing and then force play calls and throws. I'd take a 3 and out and a good punt/cover over a horrible drive killing INT. Brady had 4 INTs in this game, 2 were dropped. Unacceptable.

I agree with you that the assistant coaches on this team are probably. I think Patricia and Boyer are as much of a problem as O'Brien. The fact that 8 of 13 coaches have never coached for any other NFL team should be unacceptable.

I am still not sold the talent around Brady. Welker is an elite player and Gronk is certainly becoming one, but way too much of the offense focus on them. Half of all passes and a third of all plays involved them. After that this receiving corps is very thin. Branch is good, but should be a number three guy. His skills duplicate Welker too much.

After that the actual WRs are a joke. Slater, Price, Ocho and Edelman have combined for 13 catches and none in the last three games. The jury is out on Hernadez until he is back to 100%.

I totally disagree with people who think we have a quality stable of RBs. Green-Ellis is nice, but cannot carry the load of an offense by any means. Ridley has not shown anything consistent. Woodhead is best when used in a limited role. Faulk is one of the all-time Patriots, but how much can he give you at this point (inactive again after one game). I am not even sure how many games Vereen has dressed for this season (I do remember seeing him in uniform at some point during the regular season).

I am starting to agree that the offense on this team is a problem (three 20-point or less performances in a row), but I am starting to wonder if part of the problem with the O is the same as the D. Lack of talent both on the field and on the sidelines. I think Belichick is one of the greats, but he needs to surround himself with better players and coaches if he wants to win again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

So the Pats offense has 3 straight tough games in a row, losing 2 & coming back in the first for a great win.  Your QB isn't proud of his team winning a hard fought close game as much as he is disappointed in not blowing the Cowboys out.  So he plays worse vs the Steelers, his D played great in the 2nd half giving the offense a great chance to win, and then the 3rd game, he has by far his worse game as a pro, throwing ball after ball into Giants hands all day, and missing receivers all day.  Then he has the ball deep in Giant territory, and he tries to score as fast as he can as if he needs to score so he has time for an onsides kick.  Take some time off the clock Tom so Eli doesn't have a chance to shine for the 5th time in 6 wins, coming back in the 4th Quarter to win.

None of this is the young Brady, who would have kept his cool and not smashed his gatorade on the sideline in anger today.

If these games don't show you Tom Brady is no longer the great QB he was, then I don't know what else to say. He has lost all of his confidence, the will to win no matter what, and to say he has been playing his best ball in the past 5 years is ridiculous.  

Mark Sanchez may not be polished, but his team always has a chance to win close games in the last few minutes, and is why they have gone to the AFC championship game in his first 2 years, all games on the road, and he came out of USC as an inexperienced Junior.  Even Tebow looked more like a seasoned pro yesterday bringing the Broncos back to beat the Raiders.

I love Brady, but his whole winning attitude has fallen since BB decided it was time for him to be Peyton Manning, and that should tell you something, seeing Peyton is a huge playoff choke!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

I have always maintained the change for the worse in TB12 is due to Gisele...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!! :          Are you serious?  Kind of hard to score, when you are not on the field. If it were as easy as matching score for score, we would have 11 super bowl wins in a row.      You have to actually be able to STOP the other team. thats what defense is for. Brady isnt god, he cant do it all by himself. And if you think Montana never had  bad games, then you werent paying attention.     This team has alot to work on, but Brady should be the least of our worrys.
    Posted by jerh5

Brady turned the ball over 3 times yesterday. What part of that is the defense's fault

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!! : Brady turned the ball over 3 times yesterday. What part of that is the defense's fault
    Posted by Evil2012

Evil, did you watch Brady yesterday, and do you really think it was the D not holding Eli on his game winning drive?  Did you see Brady's desperation to get the ball into the endzone as fast as he could without any consideration for the clock? He easily could have taken a minute more off the clock, but instead he kept chucking the ball into the endzone like he needed to score and get the onside kick as if we needed 2 TDs instead of just the one.

It is time to realize this is a team game and the cog of this machine has a lot to do with the failing of this team in the regular season, right now, and especially in the playoffs, and his name is Brady.  He looked so nervous on that last drive and therefore seem to forget about the clock, and let me tell you, if Sanchez does the same thing and the Jets lose next week to the Pats, the same fans backing Brady will get all over Sanchez, who is easily one of THE best QBs in football in closing big games, bringing his team back from deficits late in the 4th quarter, and the bigger the game the better he seems to play. Like Brady always played a long time ago. Sanchez, a QB out of USC coming out after his JR year and in two years, great stats or not, he has gotten his team to the AFC title game, and all his wins were on the road. That means his offense always falls behind, scoring less than what the D has done, and has to come out of nowhere and bring home the victory.

Brady became Peyton Manning in 07 and his career in those years parallels Manning's whole career perfectly.  They can't score in the playoffs in the game they lose and everyone blames the D.  And the offense on both teams are considered among the best ever, and in Manning's 10 losses his offense scores an average of 13 points, and Brady's best talent w/ Moss in the 2 losses averaged 14 points vs the Giants and Ravens, they get rid of Moss and the offense in 3 playoff losses in a row average goes up to a whole 16 points a game, and you are telling me that Brady is the least of their problem?

In 06 with Reche Caldwell as their Superstar WR - lol - when Brady was still playing like the great QB he had been for 6 years, the Pats offense scored 35 points vs the Colts in the AFC title game, and the offense got blamed, and now the offense can't score at all in the playoffs and because the offense is so great in the regular season, most fans believe all these losses are the Ds fault?

The offense is supposed to be their strength and therefore it should at least act as if they are.  The offense in the playoffs is pathetic!!

And Brady has a lot to do with it!

If he gets credit for all the records in the past 5 years - all fluff - and gets credit for all the SB wins, then:

He needs to take full credit for the defeats!!  If he is the last person to blame for the defeats, then he is the last one who should take credit, and you know what?  

Brady will always take the blame when his offense fails.  It his responsibility.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Brady has not been playing consistently well, but Brady is hardly the problem with this team.  If all of our other players were as "bad" as Brady, we'd win the super bowl easily.  The real problem with the team is lack of talent--and coaching that adjusts to bad talent by playing very safe on defense and very one-dimensionally on offense. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!! : You see no correlation to the SBb 42 40+ passes, Jets playoff loss 40+ passes Buffalo loss or this loss? You don't see this pass happy philosophy as the root cause? Even when our D makes plays on the field and our loaded offense doesn't, this is about "talent"? How much more evidence do you need? Brady leaves a max of 21 points on the board in the first half with two INTs and awful red zone series. This is TWICE in the last 3 weeks at home where our D was very good again and our offense stood around with their thumbs up their collective rectums for over half the game. The offense is underachieving in the difficult to execute base spread with 40+ passes per game.

Thanks King, you are my Ally, so please don't forget Brady, scoring that last TD and didn't use any of the clock, throwing incomplete passes into the endzone like he needed to score fast as he could so he could get the onside kick.  It felt like he thought he was down 2 TDs instead of one.

This was huge, and most of my friends and discussed it after the game.  Why isn't he taking some time off the clock.  The D should never have been put in that stop. This game needed to be won by the offense.  The D played off the charts, and were most likely exhausted making up for Brady's mistakes all afternoon.

Good Luck with all the Brady "Over" Worshippers!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Rusty, I've been complaining about the one-dimensional pass-happy offense since 2009.  I think the team has de-emphasized the run too much and put too much on Brady's shoulders.  Worse, the receivers Brady can throw to are all short-field options.  We don't have guys who are threats down the field.  

More run would be nice as would be more of a deep passing attack. The problem, though, is whether we really have the talent to add this kind of diversity to our offense.  On the passing side, I'm just not seeing it.  Price may have deep potential, but he's only one guy and he's been hurt.  BJGE and Ridley show flashes and I'd like to see more of them--but I'm not 100% sure they are true lead backs in the NFL yet.  We need to see more to know for sure. BJGE isn't as explosive as I'd like.  Ridley has shown nice flashes, but he's also been stuffed a lot recently.  Maybe they need to give these guys more chances, though.  I worry that a lot of the young guys aren't given enough chances early.  Price sat on the bench all last year.  Maybe they should have thrown him to the fire a bit and seen what he could do?  I worry he's gone stale from sitting so much. Maybe they're being too cautious with their rookies and thereby killing their confidence. 

Anyway, the play calling and talent issues go hand-in-hand in my opinion.  Poor talent leads to bland play calling. Bland, conservative play calling reduces opportunities for untested players and maybe stifles player development. I think we need to get serious about bringing in real NFL players (big and fast and relatively young) and not oddities like Woodhead and Edelman or washed up old guys like Ocho and Haynesworth and Ellis or practice squad and special team rejects like half the players on defense now.   Better talent would give us more to work with and make more creative playcalling possible.  As it is now, with weak talent, we have to go bland on the play calling . . . or go risky and probably get burned a lot when the talent doesn't hold up.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

We do have to give Brady one thing.  In the past 3 games he could have easily gotten us 2 wins just on late game heroics which is huge, and it is the one thing that will shake this franchise from its 5 year hiatus.  We haven't seen this since 2006 or before.

That 2001 team had a lot to be desired, and the moment he stepped onto the field with his late game heroics, the whole team had an epiphany, and became a SB quality team.

This could happen here, and I have said on other posts as of late that I have seen signs of him changing this year, and maybe getting some of his late game heroic mojo back, so let's hope he is bringing back the one thing that makes him immortal along with the Montana's of the game, and that is always keeping his team in the game, and always a great chance for a come from behind win, and nothing brings a team closer than players like that!

Yet what he did by not running out the clock, when he easily could have taken a minute off of it easily, and that was clearly a bonehead era!!  It would have been much easier to do that then put all the pressure on the D!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanpaul33. Show fanpaul33's posts

We have never had a defensive line that can get to the quarterback consistently,in the history of the franchise.This creates holes in all other defensive schemes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Sorry Rusty, but the 2004 roster had:

Dillon
    Faulk
    Pass
    Branch
    Brown
    Givens
    Johnson
    Patten
    Graham
    Fauria
    Watson

The big difference was the number of reasonable receiving options.  On a three receiver set, you could put in Branch, Givens, Patton, and have Graham at TE and Faulk in the backfield.  You could sub in Brown.  You could run Dillon. If you wanted a full back you had Pass.  Watson and Fauria gave us depth at TE.  Yeah Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are good.  Branch is still okay (but not what he was in 2004).  After that, we've got no one worth mentioning at WR/TE.  And BJGE and Ridley aren't Corey Dillon.  Nor is Faulk any better at 35.  And Woodhead is just a Faulk replacement.  He doesn't bring anything different. 

In 2004, you had 8 or 9 guys who could really contribute.  In 2011, we've got maybe 6.  It's a lot easier to game plan against us now than then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I blame Mr. Kraft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Sorry Rusty, but the 2004 roster had: Dillon Faulk Pass Branch Brown Givens Johnson Patten Graham Fauria Watson The big difference was the number of reasonable receiving options.  On a three receiver set, you could put in Branch, Givens, Patton, and have Graham at TE and Faulk in the backfield.  You could sub in Brown.  You could run Dillon. If you wanted a full back you had Pass.  Watson and Fauria gave us depth at TE.  Yeah Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are good.  Branch is still okay (but not what he was in 2004).  After that, we've got no one worth mentioning at WR/TE.  And BJGE and Ridley aren't Corey Dillon.  Nor is Faulk any better at 35.  And Woodhead is just a Faulk replacement.  He doesn't bring anything different.  In 2004, you had 8 or 9 guys who could really contribute.  In 2011, we've got maybe 6.  It's a lot easier to game plan against us now than then.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

As good as you might think they are, only Branch would be considered a #2 WR, and the rest would be probably #3s.  Yet they were so clutch, and that is all that mattered.  Givens and Patten if I remember right were pretty big.

But mostly they had an all time great QB, Brady, who made the biggest of plays at the most important times of a game, and in the biggest of games.

He was compared to Montana back then, but over the last 5 years he would be more compared to Peyton.  And both could be considered complements, but if I had one game to win using The Brady of today, and Manning, or Montana, and the young Brady, I take in order, Montana, the Brady of the SB era, then Brady of today, and last is Peyton.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats are failing, and few want to look at the main reason!! : I'm a Jets fan but got to say you front running morons attacking Brady no NOTHING about football... Guy is still best... Has NO OTHER talent on O and still moves team up and down field.  Gets go ahead score late in fourth quarter on 4th and 8 and you IDIOTS think he is problem.  I'll tell you what lets trade quarterbacks for next week and see what happens.... You are all tools with Riding with King being the biggest NO Nothing tool of all.....
    Posted by 1anddone-again

My friend, Sanchez has less talent on offense, and I know your D is better there, but when the game is on the line, Sanchez has been far better since he came into the league than Brady in the late game rallies, coming from behind to win in the regular season and playoffs, and Brady has much more talent to use, and all we are trying to do is find out why he isn't the great comeback king who once was compared to Montana.

I have also been saying this year that he may be snapping out of his slump, and these last three close games is waking Brady up. He almost brought us his 2nd late game comeback in the last 3 games, and what I didn't like about the drive, is that he was trying to force the TD and get it as quickly as possible and by getting it so fast, there was 1:30 left on the clock and his gesture ended up being useless.  He didn't even try to use some clock which he always does.  Why not last night?

Sections
Shortcuts