The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan93311. Show patsfan93311's posts

The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy

It's obvious the hurry up works great for Brady & the offense, BUT... it gets them off the field faster too. And, then what's next? The Pats' D comes on the field and we hold our breath because we know what's coming next... a long, time-consuming drive that may end up in 7 points for the other team.

Then since time is slipping away, TB has to go back into the hurry up to hopefully put up another 7 points, not just 3. Then here we go again, back on the field comes the Pats' D.

The Pats had better develop a running game to help eat some of the time off the clock or they're in serious trouble. And, the O cannot turn the ball over. Almost every offensive drive needs to end up with 7 points.

So what do you guys think is the answer for the playoffs? Can the Pats win a shootout against playoff teams? And, if they make it to the SB, can they win a shootout against Rodgers or Brees? What can they do to win if we all know the D is never going to come around in time this season?

If run-of-the-mill QBs put up 300 - 400 yards against this D, what will Rodgers or Brees do? Somebody please give me hope.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy

In Response to The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy:
    [QUOTE]It's obvious the hurry up works great for Brady & the offense, BUT... it gets them off the field faster too. And, then what's next? The Pats' D comes on the field and we hold our breath because we know what's coming next... a long, time-consuming drive that may end up in 7 points for the other team. Then since time is slipping away, TB has to go back into the hurry up to hopefully put up another 7 points, not just 3. Then here we go again, back on the field comes the Pats' D. The Pats had better develop a running game to help eat some of the time off the clock or they're in serious trouble. And, the O cannot turn the ball over. Almost every offensive drive needs to end up with 7 points. So what do you guys think is the answer for the playoffs? Can the Pats win a shootout against playoff teams? And, if they make it to the SB, can they win a shootout against Rodgers or Brees? What can they do to win if we all know the D is never going to come around in time this season? If run-of-the-mill QBs put up 300 - 400 yards against this D, what will Rodgers or Brees do? Somebody please give me hope.
    Posted by patsfan93311[/QUOTE]

Thank you for blessing us with such an informative peice of writing. I actually totally agree but good luck finding anyone outside of Rusty to agree with you.

Most people here, just being Pats fans, have forgotten what a run game looks like, and the importance of one.

I will show you the post I started last week about this so you can read, but I dont think anyones gonna give 2 shyts.  I swear half these folks are brainwashed by watchin this team. They think the only way to win is to pass, pass and pass some more....

Seems to me all the experts say we need to run. We are usually dusting off the run game in December and this year we are still chucking it around close to Christmas time....Not good!

I hope its more a result of our backs being dinged up more so than a blatant disregard of the run game.

Teams will have their ears pinned back , salivating at the chance to come after Brady in January, and Oh! let me guess, Brady is also gonna have a bad foot.

Mark it down....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a9fcec838-df86-4499-b099-102a2df2973e

1966, I appreciate your optimism. I think you have taken over for Mighty, but if you think us needing to run the ball is media spin, you need to watch more football, but then again, I've always thought that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It would be nice if the Pats could run the ball effectively, but they just cant.  They don't have the personnel for it so what else can you do besides airing the ball out the majority of the game?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The Pats have already faced that sort of a game numerous times in the past when they played the Manning-led Colts. Quick strike, hi-octane passing game.

The results are mixed. When the Pats defense was great, they usually won. As the defense became ordinary, they had a much tougher time winning, but the games were always close and generally turned on a play or two. I think you'd see that sort of deal if they were fortunate enough to make it to the SB.

I suppose it's appropriate that the game would be in Indy. Unlikely they would have to deal with artificial crowd noise though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A five yard pass is just as good for wearing a defense down as a five yard run, especially with Gronk and Hernandez tossing bodies around either as downfield blockers or as receivers.   A seven or eight yard pass enables the Patriots to make their next first down with a two yard power run and then get back to normal, so it wears down defenses in two ways.

Part of the Patriots' hurry-up, if you've seen it, is forcing the defensive linemen to stay on the field, then bend over and then stay lined up for about 15 seconds straight, all tense and nervous.  Brady occasionally goes 1 second after lining up if he sees someone uncovered, but more often he barks out a call, looks over the defense, points to some linebacker, waves his fingers around his earholes, and watches to see what the defense is doing for ten seconds until the defense shows off every one of its creative shifts.  It's fun to learn everything about a defense.  So, the D-line has been on hairtrigger, afraid of being pulled offsides, and they get tired, being on hairtrigger that long.  Tired is the name of the game.  Meanwhile the Patriots defense is fully enjoying their rest on the sidelines.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I was talking about your optimism in general and yes I think G.B. can hold to us to under 30.

Have you noticed that people dont play us the same as other teams?  You ever wondered why?

We have no run game!

You see the Skins put up those numbers against any other scrub team they have faced?

Paul, I disagree that a 8 yard pass wears down a defense, thats just false.

I also disagree that it allows us to just run for 2 yards and a 1st down.

Twice we were in that position with Woody and Benny and they both failed to get the 2 yards necessary to get the 1st down.

You can say what you want, but the proof is on  the field.

Conversley, everytime we ran it from under center on 1st down we ran for a 1st down.

I think its about WHEN you run the ball. When you pass all day out the shotgun and then when you need a short first down, in comes the big package and Brady gets under center, who the hell is thinking Pass at that time?!?! The Pats are too predictable and I dont buy that they CANT run, cuz they DO run succesfully when they set it up right.

Going into a power formation on 3rd and 2 and actually running it is the most predictable thing you can do. If we run on 1st it works because we are generally a team that passes on 1st.

I saw the Pats on Sunday get 7 plus yards on every run from Woody with most of them going for 1st downs.  All the negative plays came from the shotgun passing the ball. Pass to move the ball but please run it in the redzone. This ineptness almost cost us the game as we should be running 3 straight times in that situatiuon. B.B. used to be all over stuff like this, and nowadays he goes home with 3 t/o's in his pocket like he can use it for next game.

A reporter asked him about using the timeouts and he answered "if i felt there was a defensive alignment I didnt like....."

The guy had no clue or didnt care to adress the fact that he couldve used the t/o's to get the ball back. B.B. is getting old.

Lets hope they figure it out in the postseason or its another dissapointed, hollow division title wasted..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

We have great blockers, we just don't run the right type of plays to allow the run gave to get in sync. We rarely let one guy go out there and build up momentum as the game moves along. We sub so mutch that defenses know what to do depending on the RB coming in the game. We rely to much on short passes as a quasi-run game, which just kills our chances for longer pass plays later. What we need is a true RB who can be back there 80% of the game and average about 15 touches per game. I would like to see Ridley and/or Vereeniging unleashed the last 3 games. Trying them out for 10 snaps doesnt give you a good idea of how he will play. This is something O'Brien really really needs to improve on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy:
    [QUOTE]It would be nice if the Pats could run the ball effectively, but they just cant.  They don't have the personnel for it so what else can you do besides airing the ball out the majority of the game?
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]
    What happened to BJGE and Woodhead?  They are not on the team anymore?  They were the runners last year and it seemed decent then and did it without Faulk.  What happened this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]We have great blockers, we just don't run the right type of plays to allow the run gave to get in sync. We rarely let one guy go out there and build up momentum as the game moves along. We sub so mutch that defenses know what to do depending on the RB coming in the game. We rely to much on short passes as a quasi-run game, which just kills our chances for longer pass plays later. What we need is a true RB who can be back there 80% of the game and average about 15 touches per game. I would like to see Ridley and/or Vereeniging unleashed the last 3 games. Trying them out for 10 snaps doesnt give you a good idea of how he will play. This is something O'Brien really really needs to improve on.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

People forget that Light and Manking are pro bowlers when they say things like "We cant run"

They forget that some of watch other teams run for a lot of yardage with a much less talented line.

Its all hogwash. This offense can do whatever it wants, ...its wants to Pass.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Only thing teams are doing different this year is playing more man because Branch and the other outside recievers aren't very good. Nobody plays man numerous snaps against GB and Saints because they have better skill players that will beat you all over the field in one on one matchups. Gronk, Wes and Hernandez ( the only players that win their one on ones most times ) generally all work the middle of the field making it easier to defend. The common theme when they were winning SB's was they had GREAT defenses which is a far bigger factor than a few more running attempts.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

When you're tied for 20th in yards per carry running the ball more isn't a great solution to anything. Is BB crazy to rely on his second best passing game, or should he rely on that 20th best running attack? But then, we do run about as much as an average NFL team despite the disparity in relative output.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy : I agree with you, Babe.  In fact, I actually like you.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Jeesh. Get a room.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]It would be nice if the Pats could run the ball effectively, but they just cant.  They don't have the personnel for it so what else can you do besides airing the ball out the majority of the game?
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

if you are expecting that they run the ball effectively at the flip of a switch, then you are not being realistic. they have to learn how to do it well as a team, not just the rb.

personnel? i believe the pats have better personel than half the teams who are gettign better ypc. it really boils down to mindset, that gets reflected in the planning and cascades down to the olinemen.

unfortunately they won't ever get there if they keep passing the ball. too bad because they will need that in the playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy : Did GB hold them to under 30 last year?  I believe they had 31 points in like 20 minutes of possession time. Ask yourself why the Pats (not you, you're not on the Pats) have "no run game".
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

You can thank Dan Connolly and his amazing kick return skills for that. They need to draft a Center and juts let Dan focus on returns, he has like a 70 yard average!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The Pats need homefield and a good solid snow storm, because snow and ice will be their best defense.

As of right now they would be hurting against he Packers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]When you pass all day out the shotgun and then when you need a short first down, in comes the big package and Brady gets under center...The Pats are too predictable.Going into a power formation on 3rd and 2 and actually running it is the most predictable thing you can do.[/QUOTE]

I want to pull my hair out when they do that. Being SOOOO predictable makes things a lot easier for the opponents. The Steelers, a team we used to destroy, destroyed the Pat's this time around on BOTH sides of the bal. It's competition like that we see in the playoffs, NOT the soon to be 0-16 Colts.

[QUOTE]and I dont buy that they CANT run, cuz they DO run succesfully when they set it up right.  If we run on 1st it works because we are generally a team that passes on 1st. I saw the Pats on Sunday get 7 plus yards on every run from Woody with most of them going for 1st downs. 

Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Yep, if they play a good mix and don't make it look so predictable, like when Welker & Branch trot off the field, the results are great. Long sustained drives eating clock, wearing out defenses, and keeping OUR D fresher in the later part of the game

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE] The common theme when they were winning SB's was they had GREAT defenses which is a far bigger factor than a few more running attempts.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Another common factor was a balanced attack (then check out 07 SB stats below to see what difference a few more running plays can make)

Super Bowl 1

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    Total First Downs
    Rushing
    Passing
    Penalty
    Total Net Yardage
    Total Offensive Plays
    Avg. Gain per Offensive Play
    Rushes
    Yards Gained Rushing (Net)
    Average Yards per Rush
    Passes Attempted

Super Bowl 2
    Passes 32-48
    Rushes 35
    Rush yards 127

Super Bowl 3
    Passes 23-33
    Rushes 28
    Rush yards 112

Super Bowl 4
    The only Super Bowl Brady lost, the ball was thrown FORTY EIGHT TIMES, completing only 29, and the run? A grand total of 16 rush attempts. That's a 3:1 ratio. Had they run a little more there might not been any time left after the Pat's last scoring drive and TB would've captured #4

It would seem a balanced game can make the difference

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Pats' Best Friend is Also Their Own Worst Enemy : Another common factor was a balanced attack (then check out 07 SB stats below to see what difference a few more running plays can make) Super Bowl 1 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS Total First Downs 15 Rushing 6 Passing 8 Penalty 1 Total Net Yardage 267 Total Offensive Plays 54 Avg. Gain per Offensive Play 4.9 Rushes 25 Yards Gained Rushing (Net) 133 Average Yards per Rush 5.3 Passes Attempted 27 Super Bowl 2 Passes 32-48 Rushes 35 Rush yards 127 Super Bowl 3 Passes 23-33 Rushes 28 Rush yards 112 Super Bowl 4 The only Super Bowl Brady lost, the ball was thrown FORTY EIGHT TIMES, completing only 29, and the run? A grand total of 16 rush attempts. That's a 3:1 ratio. Had they run a little more there might not been any time left after the Pat's last scoring drive and TB would've captured #4 It would seem a balanced game can make the difference
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]

There were balanced in their previous two playoff games in '07. How effective was their balance? Laurence Maroney ran for 100 yards! Why did they call a pass 75% all of a sudden? What's worse is seeing the Patriots go for it on 4th down @ the Giants and Brady overthrows #4 receiver Jabar Gaffney in the endzone (who was double covered on that play).

At this moment, I wait until the division is wrapped up before I consider tweaking the playcalling or at least calling for more runs. Luckily, tomorrow could be hat & t-shirt day and let's not forget they are still in good shape for a bye week. I wouldn't be shocked if New England did find a path to the Superbowl this season. Best way there is via the offense. I'd like to see the Patriots call for more passes with their Jumbo set w/ 3 TEs because it could have the defense second guess, especially if Brady is under center.