From a great Weei article
Blame brady all you want , but the defense is reaching a new low out there
Here’s a look at the brutal start by the Patriots’ passing defense:
- The Patriots have allowed 15 passing touchdowns, tied for most in the NFL. They are on pace to permit 40 touchdown passes, which would break the NFL record of 38 in a season set by the 1969 St. Louis Cardinals. If one includes AFL teams, the 2012 Pats are on pace to tie the record for most touchdowns allowed in a season, set by the 1963 Broncos.
- The 2012 Patriots are on pace to demolish the franchise record for most passing touchdowns allowed in a season. The current record of 29 was set by the 1995 team that finished 6-10.
- The 2012 Patriots have allowed more touchdown passes through six games than any other team in franchise history. The previous record of 13 was set by the 1961 and 1994 teams.
- Prior to this season, 24 teams in the Super Bowl era had allowed 15 or more passing touchdowns in their first 6 games of the season. Two (1986 Jets, 2002 Titans) made the playoffs.
- The Patriots are on pace to permit 275+ yards in 11 games — which would break the team record of 10, set in 2011
- The Patriots have allowed 275+ yards passing in four straight games, tied for the longest streak in team history (previously done in 2011, 2005, 1996, 1962).
- The defense has permitted an average of 288.8 passing yards per game, 28th in the NFL. It is the second highest passing yards per game average of a Patriots team through six games in franchise history. (Last year’s Patriots team allowed 322.2 passing yards per game in the first six contests of the season — the second highest yield through six games of any team in the Super Bowl era.)
- Opponents are completing 64.4 percent of passes, 25th in the NFL
- The Patriots have permitted two or more passing touchdowns in four games, on pace for 11 such contests, which would tie team record, previously set by 1995 and 1961 Patriots.
- The Patriots have allowed 33 completions of 20+ yards, first in the NFL — and it’s not even close. Second highest total: 26.
- Opponents have a 100.9 QB rating, 27th in the NFL. That mark would shatter the previous record for the worst ever permitted by the Patriots in a season (92.2, 1972).
- The Patriots have allowed 79 passing 1st downs, 27th in the NFL.