the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?

this is a tough one,but if i was to base it on the colts out come.i would give the edge to the saints,but i also know its rare for the pats to make the same mistake twice.i would feel better if 17 players were not listed questionable for the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/28/patriots-list-21-players-on-injury-report/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?

True.  This has been the recent trend.  I am not sure what factors have contributed to the late Patriots collapses, but the early slow starts by the Saints have a few very tangible possibilities.  Through the first five games of the season the Saints exploded offensively in each game scoring in their first possession.  Come week six the injury bug started to hit.  Both Colston and Moore were a bit beat up.  We had also lost Heath Evans to the IR and had to make an adjustment in the personnel set.

Another factor, although Payton would probably never admit it, was the looming matchup with the Patriots.  The early play calling for the past few weeks has been about as vanilla as I have seen in a couple of years.  Given the Saints ability to play a physical, pounding game they have been able to wear down the other team and win despite the conservative playcalling. 

My take on this is that Payton figured the Saints could handle the teams leading into week 12 using only a subset of the playbook.  He knows that the Patriots will be prepared for what they have seen on film.  Why show them anything?

The other factor has been the fact that most of those games have been on the road.  The home crowd has more of a positive affect on the Saints than it has a negative affect on the opponents defense.

All of that said, the Saints are the healthiest they have been since week five, they are most likely ready to open up the entire offensive and defensive playbooks and they are back at home on a prime time stage.

I am also thinking that what ever led to the second half collapses by the Patriots will have also been addressed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?

I would have to give the edge to the Saints as well, especially since its a home game for them. Late surges will keep the crowd in it and I expect them to give an extra effort in making things harder for the Pats offense. Lets just hope the 17 questionable players is just a bit of gamesmanship by Belichick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I'm not saying this game is going to be a cake walk, but I have all the confidence
    of Bill's preparations and our Patriots to win this game.

What I can'nt accept, people calling them selves Patriots fan's, giving the edge to NO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?:
    I'm not saying this game is going to be a cake walk, but I have all the confidence of Bill's preparations and our Patriots to win this game. What I can'nt accept, people calling them selves Patriots fan's, giving the edge to NO.
    Posted by southnpatsfan

Why not?  They are being honest and objective.  If I truly felt the Pats had the edge I would say so myself.  In fact, if the game was in Foxboro I would give the edge to the Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?:
    I'm not saying this game is going to be a cake walk, but I have all the confidence of Bill's preparations and our Patriots to win this game. What I can'nt accept, people calling them selves Patriots fan's, giving the edge to NO.
    Posted by southnpatsfan

A fan is not defined by their expectations but rather their perserverence to remain one when their team doesn't meet them. A loss to the Saints would be just as disappointing as any other, it matters not if one considered it more likely to happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I give the edge to the Pats if in fact the Pats come out firing and the Saints have to play catch up.  No team wants to have to come from behind... even at home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

The Saints definitely have the edge, by being able to finish strong, the Colts taught us that a few weeks back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge?:
    this is a tough one,but if i was to base it on the colts out come.i would give the edge to the saints,but i also know its rare for the pats to make the same mistake twice.i would feel better if 17 players were not listed questionable for the game. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/28/patriots-list-21-players-on-injury-report/
    Posted by mosseffect43

We can not be a "slow finnish" team. We have always been the 4 quarter team that always had a chance till the final second. If we are to run the distance we must be that team. I believe we will be tonight.

Brady is on in his grove

Welker is in his grove

Moss is always in his grove

Running game is doing enough and will improve each week.

Defense has stepped up in the past 3 games and will come up big tonight.

As was stated over the week end on a few shows, not just for tonight, but for the remainder of the season, The Patriots are the more battle tested team going forward..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

It's a tough call. But I have to go with the Pats because this game is much bigger for the Pats than the Saints. Bill will have them ready for tonight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I wouldnt be surprised if we came out in a 2 tight end 2 RB set. We have to run the ball if we're going to beat the Saints. Just like Manning the way you beat him is by keeping the ball out of his hands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

It's a tough call. But I have to go with the Pats because this game is much bigger for the Pats than the Saints. Bill will have them ready for tonight.
    Posted by wmo1679

I am curious as to why you feel this game is bigger to the Patriots than the Saints?  The Vikings are at 10-1 and looking like they may not drop another.  The Saints know they have a tremendous advantage playing at home and hold a very slim one game advantage in the race for home field advantage.  I am expecting the Saints to be more prepared than they have been all season long on both sides of the ball.

In addition, the Saints are playing for the city.  I know you may not understand what that means.  These players, to a man, are committed to the city of New Orleans and winning means more than just a "W" in the win/loss column.  It is a real, tangible relationship.  It is not contrived.  Every last player and coach on the Saints roster will be giving everything they have to bring a win for the 70,000 maniacal fans in the stands and the many more watching and listening at home and abroad.

While I acknowledge that it is a big game for the Patriots, I keep hearing how it is just another game for a team with their experience and not a season maker or breaker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

I wouldnt be surprised if we came out in a 2 tight end 2 RB set. We have to run the ball if we're going to beat the Saints. Just like Manning the way you beat him is by keeping the ball out of his hands.
    Posted by Philskiw

It wouldn't surprise me either.  Keeping the ball on the ground will also reduce the opportunities for turnovers.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : It wouldn't surprise me either.  Keeping the ball on the ground will also reduce the opportunities for turnovers.  
    Posted by AsylumGuido

Hope to see you tomorrow, after the loss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh boy -- where to begin?

The 70,000 screaming maniacs -- many of whom likely began rooting for the Saints roughly a month ago?

Or all those players and coaches who are -- "to a man" committed to the city of New Orleans? I'm pretty sure the next time I meet a professional athlete or coach who's not a mercenary, it will be the first time.

Lots of cities (and rural areas, too) suffer through disaster and eventually life goes on as usual. Also . . .  idiot bandwagon fans are not unique to the Big Easy. There is nothing special about N'awlins, unless you count the quiet encouragment of public drunkenness. I haven't seen that in any other city I've frequented.

The Saints are having a good season, but that's no reason to skipright past hyperbole  and invent an entirely new and uncharted category of nonsense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : I am curious as to why you feel this game is bigger to the Patriots than the Saints?  The Vikings are at 10-1 and looking like they may not drop another.  The Saints know they have a tremendous advantage playing at home and hold a very slim one game advantage in the race for home field advantage.  I am expecting the Saints to be more prepared than they have been all season long on both sides of the ball. In addition, the Saints are playing for the city.  I know you may not understand what that means.  These players, to a man, are committed to the city of New Orleans and winning means more than just a "W" in the win/loss column.  It is a real, tangible relationship.  It is not contrived.  Every last player and coach on the Saints roster will be giving everything they have to bring a win for the 70,000 maniacal fans in the stands and the many more watching and listening at home and abroad. While I acknowledge that it is a big game for the Patriots, I keep hearing how it is just another game for a team with their experience and not a season maker or breaker.
    Posted by AsylumGuido

I was looking at it from a record stand point not an emotional one. The Pats are 7-3. If the lose tonight they are a game behind both Cincy and San Diego of the first round bye. Granted if they lose the season isn't over but getting to the Super Bowl becomes alot harder. The difference between having a bye and having to win 2 playoff games one at home or having to have to win 3 playoff games two of them most likely being on the road is huge.

Say the saints lose they still are. 10-1 and in great shape to get homefield through out the playoff.

I  not saying its not a big game for the saints and the city of New Orleans but from a playoff seeding standpoint the Patriots have more on the line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Oh boy -- where to begin? The 70,000 screaming maniacs -- many of whom likely began rooting for the Saints roughly a month ago? Or all those players and coaches who are -- "to a man" committed to the city of New Orleans? I'm pretty sure the next time I meet a professional athlete or coach who's not a mercenary, it will be the first time. Lots of cities (and rural areas, too) suffer through disaster and eventually life goes on as usual. Also . . .  idiot bandwagon fans are not unique to the Big Easy. There is nothing special about N'awlins, unless you count the quiet encouragment of public drunkenness. I haven't seen that in any other city I've frequented. The Saints are having a good season, but that's no reason to skipright past hyperbole  and invent an entirely new and uncharted category of nonsense.
    Posted by prairiemike

I knew there would be someone incapable of understanding.  First of all, it has been impossible to get Saints tickets for years except by aftermarket means.  Those 70,000 fans are likely made up of around 90% of the same people that were there on that Monday night four years ago for the first game, post-Katrina, against the Falcons, and the same 70,000 that have been there every game.  You are clearly speaking from ignorance of the facts.

You simply do not understand the special bond between these players and their fans and city.  It is real.  The fact that you don't believe it makes it no less real.  You have no idea how many players came to the Saints over the past couple of years for less than they could have gotten elsewhere just to be part of something special. 

Name another team that would spend 2 hours meeting fans after arriving home from an away game late on Sunday night?  This is a regular occurences.  Thousands of Saints fans regularly great the team at the airport. 

So, keep your cynicism to yourself, or not if you wish to make yourself seem foolish.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : I was looking at it from a record stand point not an emotional one. The Pats are 7-3. If the lose tonight they are a game behind both Cincy and San Diego of the first round bye. Granted if they lose the season isn't over but getting to the Super Bowl becomes alot harder. The difference between having a bye and having to win 2 playoff games one at home or having to have to win 3 playoff games two of them most likely being on the road is huge. Say the saints lose they still are. 10-1 and in great shape to get homefield through out the playoff. I  not saying its not a big game for the saints and the city of New Orleans but from a playoff seeding standpoint the Patriots have more on the line.
    Posted by wmo1679

Emotion has to be taken into consideration as it is a very key part of a home game.  And I can tell you that the Saints will take every means within their grasp to guarantee that homefield advantage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : Hope to see you tomorrow, after the loss.
    Posted by gmbill

Yup.  I will be here after your lose.  Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : It wouldn't surprise me either.  Keeping the ball on the ground will also reduce the opportunities for turnovers.  
    Posted by AsylumGuido

The Pats will still throw a lot more than they run because that's their game.    Besides, Brady has only thrown 6 pics all year.

What's more, the Saints run it a lot more than the Pats, yet the Pats are +12 in turnover differential compared to the Saints +10.

I would guess the Pats will throw early and often to their possession receivers.

BTW Guido, win or lose congrats on having a great team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The question is, why does one team get gassed in the fourth quarter?

With the Patriots, the other team gets gassed because their defense is on the field for 2/3 of the game, and their defensive line physically can't push anymore, so even Maroney (3rd in the running back depth chart if Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris are up) can run wild.

With the Colts (especially at Colts home games), the other team gets gassed because they can't substitute in defensive sub-packages, because Manning always rushes to the line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablotin. Show diablotin's posts

You have no idea how many players came to the Saints over the past couple of years for less than they could have gotten elsewhere just to be part of something special.

Right, the Patriots are completely unfamiliar with our players taking "hometown discounts" and players taking less money to be part of something special (like say, perhaps, winning Super Bowls)... talk about "speaking from ignorance" as you put it.  The Saints have done nothing but copy the Patriots formula for success... which is awesome and I'm happy for the Saints and their long suffering fans... but don't claim that "we don't know what it's like" to have our team dedicated to the local area, when you say that and things like it, YOU speak from ignorance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : The Pats will still throw a lot more than they run because that's their game.    Besides, Brady has only thrown 6 pics all year. What's more, the Saints run it a lot more than the Pats, yet the Pats are +12 in turnover differential compared to the Saints +10. I would guess the Pats will throw early and often to their possession receivers. BTW Guido, win or lose congrats on having a great team.
    Posted by bostatewarrior

Yup, no doubt the Pats will pass more than run, as usual, but it wouldn't surprise me if the percentages were a bit more skewed than normal toward the run.

And thanks, is has been a fun ride and I expect it to continue.  This squad is dramatically different than any we have ever had.  And there is no need to even mention the greatness of the Patriots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

"You have no idea how many players came to the Saints over the past couple of years for less than they could have gotten elsewhere just to be part of something special."

= = = = = = = = =

Randall Gay. From the area always wanted to play for the Saints cut by Pats
    Heath Evans I believe he was cut by the Pats
    David Thomas, good ball player didnt pan out traded for I think a 7th rounder
    Kyle Eckle went to the Eagles then the saints. Cut by Pats

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : Right, the Patriots are completely unfamiliar with our players taking "hometown discounts" and players taking less money to be part of something special (like say, perhaps, winning Super Bowls)... talk about "speaking from ignorance" as you put it.  The Saints have done nothing but copy the Patriots formula for success... which is awesome and I'm happy for the Saints and their long suffering fans... but don't claim that "we don't know what it's like" to have our team dedicated to the local area, when you say that and things like it, YOU speak from ignorance.
    Posted by diablotin

I'm sorry, but my post was not toward Patriot fans in general.  It was directed toward the one individual that claimed that all pro athletes are nothing but mercenaries and that if he met one that wasn't it would be the first.  I agree that the Patriots are a model for this type of loyality from players.  I am not ignorant to that fact at all.  But, obviously the poster to whom I responded is not not even aware of his own team's history. 

In addition, I have never posted that the Patriots fans do not know what it is like. If you read my posts from the last few days you see that I have repeatedly said that there are a great number of similarities between our two franchises.  The Patriots starting in 1960 and the Saints in 1967.  In fact, I would imagine few franchises that would identify with the Saints more than New England.

Sections
Shortcuts