The Pats have reportedly signed DL Armstead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The Pats have reportedly signed DL Armstead

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739119/source-patriots-sign-dl-armstead#comment

First piece of good news. I thought he will shop himself around to the highest bidder. That is a surprise quick move by the Pats.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: The Pats have reportedly signed DL Armstead

Nice! I made a thread about this a week or two ago hoping we get him and I think this changes the draft completely. He apparently has a 2nd round grade, from what I hear, so it's pretty much like a free second round pick.

First round, Pats can draft a DE. Assuming Chandler Jones is healthy and improves (hopefully makes a JPP like jump), then Jones, Nink, 1st round pick, and Francis is a decent DE group. Maybe they can find a veteran edge rusher, but this isn't a terrible group.

Then 2nd round, they can just take the best player available. Sorry, I don't trust BB spending high picks with dbs anymore. Get them via FA or later in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Great move by the Pats. Now we need to wait and see if he plays out to be what he is supposed to be. Also this team needs to draft Secondary help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Brilliant.

Big guy that also can bull rush / sack the QB. Other teams will not easily be able to double team both him and Vince.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Brilliant.

Big guy that also can bull rush / sack the QB. Other teams will not easily be able to double team both him and Vince.

I really like the signing, but lets slow down. He is yet to take an NFL snap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Armstead made the equilvalent of All Pro in CFL in his rookie year with the Argonaults and played in the the Grey Cup. He led the team with sacks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1487724-who-is-armond-armstead-and-why-are-nfl-teams-hot-on-his-heels

There is an embedded high light reel of him in the article.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Brilliant.

Allright, did you know that Doug Flutie is  the #1  best CFL player of all time?

Case in point. There are some differences from the CFL to NFL.

Will wait and see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Allright, did you know that Doug Flutie is  the #1  best CFL player of all time?

Will wait and see.

Would Kurt Warner and Warren Moon suit your standard better?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Will wait and see.

Would Kurt Warner and Warren Moon suit your standard better?

Or the USFL for that matter. Herschel Walker? Steve Young spent some time in the USFL too didn't he?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Don't forget cameron Wake of Miami.  He was a pass rusher DE/LB as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I remember posting about this kid on the draft thread last year... his medicals must've been horrible last year because he's very athletic for a big kid, believe I remember watching him rush off the edge out of a 2-point stance while at SC.

I like it, low risk, high upside... can't go wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739119/source-patriots-sign-dl-armstead#comment

First piece of good news. I thought he will shop himself around to the highest bidder. That is a surprise quick move by the Pats.

Thanks Nomad! We needed some good news around here, after getting belted by the Buzzards.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Like this move too. We need more athletic DL so we can dial up some pressure in ciritical situaltions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Man, I hope this works out!!  But then again, another Belichick type move.  Taking a risk on the guy just like he has done with 75% of the defense.  The madness never ends on D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Brilliant.

+1 I like the move because at worst he's a camp body, extremely low risk. But, lets not pretend he had a lot of options. I mean really it's a futures contract and the Pats are one of the few teams that a UDFA or walk on scrub has a legit shot at making the team. Future contracts are basically for PS players to get them a shot at a camp invite before FA begins but doesn't guarantee a camp invite either

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wow we sign some dude who played flag Football last year.  This is why our Defense sucks.  Crap like this p!sses me off.  Gee maybe we'll waste our first 2 draft picks on injury prone 5'9" midget DB's too......sweet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Wow we sign some dude who played flag Football last year.  This is why our Defense sucks.  Crap like this p!sses me off.  Gee maybe we'll waste our first 2 draft picks on injury prone 5'9" midget DB's too......sweet.

tcal every team does this crap. They are called camp bodies. That's why you get 80+ spaces at the beginning of camp. You sign a whole bunch of these types of min contracts and see if any can even make the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

Please, let me interject here.  I am a Canadian living in Toronto - and I can tell you, Armstead is a BRILLIANT move by the Pats.  Everyone and I mean everyone was stunned that the Argos let him go (probably a money issue)  They're cheap here in Canada, that way.  Patriot land - get ready for some big time pass rush from this guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ultpatfan's comment:

Please, let me interject here.  I am a Canadian living in Toronto - and I can tell you, Armstead is a BRILLIANT move by the Pats.  Everyone and I mean everyone was stunned that the Argos let him go (probably a money issue)  They're cheap here in Canada, that way.  Patriot land - get ready for some big time pass rush from this guy.

No disrespect but we are talking CFL to NFL.  Its like night and day!  Just because he is a monster there means very little in the NFL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

No disrespect but we are talking CFL to NFL.  Its like night and day!  Just because he is a monster there means very little in the NFL!

No offense taken TFB12 (I'm on your side) but you'll see for yourself.  Armstead is too good for the CFL and is commanding an audience with American football scouts. He'll grow on you (big and tough).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Well I hate CFL football ... but "flag football", come on don't be a jerk ...

Anyway, back to the matter at hand ... my friend is a huge CFL fan (Calgary Stampeders - Jerod Mayo's brother plays here FYI); and she said Armstead really stood out in the 3 games she saw the Argos play Calgary (including the championship game). He helped absolutely stuff Calgary's league leading rusher to nothing in the Grey Cup .... he was a prety good back too, John Cornish, played at U fo Kansas with Talib ... a +1000 yd rusher in Big 12

Basically he dominated up here ... yes hopefully Wake 2...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Personally, I had kind of hoped Armstead would stay with my CFL team, but if he's going to move to the NFL, I'm glad it's the Pats

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Don't forget cameron Wake of Miami.  He was a pass rusher DE/LB as well.

Hear, hear  or is the +1 thing?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No offense taken TFB12 (I'm on your side) but you'll see for yourself.  Armstead is too good for the CFL and is commanding an audience with American football scouts. He'll grow on you (big and tough).

Thanks!  And I hope you are right!  But here we have been talking about how Belichick needs to stop building a team with all these underachievers who don't have a lot of talent and then he goes out and does this.  Is Bill really this stuborn?  When will this madness stop.  Spend money on proven players with talent!  NFL proven players with NFL talent!

Sections
Shortcuts