The Pats have reportedly signed DL Armstead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: The Pats have reportedly signed DL Armstead

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to ultpatfan's comment:

No offense taken TFB12 (I'm on your side) but you'll see for yourself.  Armstead is too good for the CFL and is commanding an audience with American football scouts. He'll grow on you (big and tough).

Thanks!  And I hope you are right!  But here we have been talking about how Belichick needs to stop building a team with all these underachievers who don't have a lot of talent and then he goes out and does this.  Is Bill really this stuborn?  When will this madness stop.  Spend money on proven players with talent!  NFL proven players with NFL talent!

Are you serious? This is a futures contract. It's not like they spent a first round pick on this guy or spent a boat load of money. He is great value for what they are getting him for.

Your idea of building this team sounds an awful lot like what the Eagles did in 2010. Look at the 49ers roster and tell me how many of them you thought were immediate proven players with NFL talent when they were picked up.

Same thing with the Seahawks. The bulk of their starters are made up of mid round picks. You don't win championships by winning FA. Look at where that took the Skins, Cowboys and Eagles.

They need to pick up these type of players and help develop them so that they reach their full potential.

This is a low risk/high reward signing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

They need to pick up these type of players and help develop them so that they reach their full potential.

These are the most worn out lines in Bill Belichicks Patriot history.  It's not working.  It's not taking them over the top!  Let them try and rebuild after Brady retires.  They need to rebuild this team for the present, not the future, not yet anyways.  Belichick will never have a QB like Brady again, he knows it.  These days with Brady are his best chances to win another SB.  

Bellichick isn't developing a team like the 49'ers, or like the Seahawks, thats just a bad comparison and makes him look bad by even saying that.  Look, the way BB fills a roster you need a QB like Brady.  Once Brady retires look at the team he will have with all the development players he has. 75% of the players are still developing and I don't think they will ever develop.   It isn't working with Brady here and it certainly wont with Brady gone.  Could you imagine what type of team the Patriots would have if Brady retired today?  It would be horrible.  We are talking the Jets horrible.

And if I hear the phrase low risk/high reward one more time I think I will get sick.  They have all been low risk/low reward.  Name the last low risk/high reward that worked out!!  Randy Moss!  How many years ago was that?!?!?!? 

Dump all these over achieving low risk/high reward players that fill this Patriots roster because they are low to no reward!  Use their money to get some quality talent on this team that will take them over the top NOW, while Brady is still here!!  Because once he is gone, they won't have anyone to carry this team of talentless over achiever system players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

When will this madness stop.  Spend money on proven players with talent!  NFL proven players with NFL talent!

The Pats had signed plenty of those big name " proven players" who subsequently failed miserably. The list includes Ochocinco, Galloway, Holt, Fanane, Haynesworth, Addai, Gallery, Ellis, Shiancoe, Starks, Stubblefield, Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Adalius Thomas, and others whose names escaped the mind presently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This kid is going to be a stud, especially if we switch back to more three man fronts with Wilfork in the middle, Love and he on the ends.  The kid is a baller, mark my words.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

When will this madness stop.  Spend money on proven players with talent!  NFL proven players with NFL talent!

The Pats had signed plenty of those big name " proven players" who subsequently failed miserably. The list includes Ochocinco, Galloway, Holt, Fanane, Haynesworth, Addai, Gallery, Ellis, Shiancoe, Starks, Stubblefield, Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Adalius Thomas, and others whose names escaped the mind presently.

all those players you listed were at the end of their career!  The never played again after the Pats let them go.  There is a difference between proven players and one foot out the door players.  C'mon now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

all those players you listed were at the end of their career!  The never played again after the Pats let them go.  There is a difference between proven players and one foot out the door players.  C'mon now.

How often would a team trade a young proven player like Julio Jones who is on the upside of his career? If one is available in free agency, he will be very very expensive. And a team can also use the franchise tag to hold on to the player it wants to. This is not quite fantasy football where you can go get whoever you want on your team with no fuss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:

Well I hate CFL football ... but "flag football", come on don't be a jerk ...

Anyway, back to the matter at hand ... my friend is a huge CFL fan (Calgary Stampeders - Jerod Mayo's brother plays here FYI); and she said Armstead really stood out in the 3 games she saw the Argos play Calgary (including the championship game). He helped absolutely stuff Calgary's league leading rusher to nothing in the Grey Cup .... he was a prety good back too, John Cornish, played at U fo Kansas with Talib ... a +1000 yd rusher in Big 12

Basically he dominated up here ... yes hopefully Wake 2...

Canadian, 

Not all Americans are ignorant, just a few. I would hope the majority of us realize the CFL play a pretty decent game. I've watched a few CFL games and Grey Cups and maybe I'm wrong but the CFL is not as hard hitting as the NFL, but I also noticed not many as nearly cheap shot as you see constantly in the NFL. 

Hetch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

These are the most worn out lines in Bill Belichicks Patriot history.  It's not working.  It's not taking them over the top!  Let them try and rebuild after Brady retires.  They need to rebuild this team for the present, not the future, not yet anyways.  Belichick will never have a QB like Brady again, he knows it.  These days with Brady are his best chances to win another SB.  

Bellichick isn't developing a team like the 49'ers, or like the Seahawks, thats just a bad comparison and makes him look bad by even saying that.  Look, the way BB fills a roster you need a QB like Brady.  Once Brady retires look at the team he will have with all the development players he has. 75% of the players are still developing and I don't think they will ever develop.   It isn't working with Brady here and it certainly wont with Brady gone.  Could you imagine what type of team the Patriots would have if Brady retired today?  It would be horrible.  We are talking the Jets horrible.

And if I hear the phrase low risk/high reward one more time I think I will get sick.  They have all been low risk/low reward.  Name the last low risk/high reward that worked out!!  Randy Moss!  How many years ago was that?!?!?!? 

Dump all these over achieving low risk/high reward players that fill this Patriots roster because they are low to no reward!  Use their money to get some quality talent on this team that will take them over the top NOW, while Brady is still here!!  Because once he is gone, they won't have anyone to carry this team of talentless over achiever system players.

Dennard was low risk high reward that looks to have worked out.

Hernandez was low risk high reward that looks to have worked out.

Look at all the teams that have won the championship recently and look where the bulk of the core of those teams were acquired.

Ravens/49ers are built largely on guys they drafted and low risk signings (Whitner, Rodgers, Pollard, McKinnie)

Giants drafted their big 3 pass rushers, Cruz, Nicks, etc

Packers: Outside of Woodson, they pretty much draft all their guys

Saints: Sharper was a low risk high reward signing. Brees was the big splash. But FAs like Brees aren't always available.

Now lets look at some of the more recent quality talent signings.

Mario Williams, Nnamdi Asomugha, Mark Anderson, Albert Haynesworth, Roy Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Terrell Owens, Vincent Jackson, Julius Peppers, etc.

Neither of the teams that signed these guys look even remotely close to a Super Bowl contender. 

Brady was a low risk type of pick (What a horrible pick!)

Vrabel was a terrible signing too. He was a complete underachiever at the time of his signing. What a bust of a FA!

Here's a newsflash for you, just because they played great with one team doesn't mean they'll pan out great for the Pats. Do you remember Adalius Thomas? It's a hit or miss game. But most teams aren't built by being knee jerk and overpaying for "proven" players.

Pats aren't in a situation where they are a Corey Dillon away from being a complete team. They have a fair amount of needs and can't financially strap themselves to one player.

I have no problem with these type of signings. Dashon Goldson wasn't considered quality talent before resigning for the 49ers in 2011 (That's why he was only able to get a 1 year deal), but he ended up flourishing into an All-Pro. Donte Whitner wasn't a big name. Bernard Pollard? Some of these mid level FA's can become legitimate starters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Outside of Brees, who is a special case of FA, name some big name signing that led to a championship team? And I mean big name at the time of the signing, not some guy like Tim Jennings who became big after signing with the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

dapats1281

We can use as many not so sexy signings like Vrable, Ninko, Dan Connolly as the team can find.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Allright, did you know that Doug Flutie is  the #1  best CFL player of all time?

Case in point. There are some differences from the CFL to NFL.

Will wait and see.

Would Kurt Warner and Warren Moon suit your standard better?

Or the USFL for that matter. Herschel Walker? Steve Young spent some time in the USFL too didn't he?

as did jim kelly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Anyway, back to the matter at hand ... my friend is a huge CFL fan (Calgary Stampeders - Jerod Mayo's brother plays here FYI); and she said Armstead really stood out in the 3 games she saw the Argos play Calgary (including the championship game). He helped absolutely stuff Calgary's league leading rusher to nothing in the Grey Cup .... he was a prety good back too, John Cornish, played at U fo Kansas with Talib ... a +1000 yd rusher in Big 12

Canadian, 

Not all Americans are ignorant, just a few. I would hope the majority of us realize the CFL play a pretty decent game. I've watched a few CFL games and Grey Cups and maybe I'm wrong but the CFL is not as hard hitting as the NFL, but I also noticed not many as nearly cheap shot as you see constantly in the NFL. 

Hetch

no more than a few

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Wow we sign some dude who played flag Football last year.  This is why our Defense sucks.  Crap like this p!sses me off.  Gee maybe we'll waste our first 2 draft picks on injury prone 5'9" midget DB's too......sweet.

tcal were u always such an angry wannabe bad a** ?  and it would be funny watching you calling the cfl "flag football" to one of the players faces

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Outside of Brees, who is a special case of FA, name some big name signing that led to a championship team? And I mean big name at the time of the signing, not some guy like Tim Jennings who became big after signing with the team.

Reggie White (Packers)? Charles Woodson (Packers)? Deion Sanders (Cowboys & 49ers)? Rod Woodson (Ravens)? Rodney Harrison (Patriots)? James Farrior (Steelers)? Plaxico Burress (Giants)?

And why doesn't Brees count?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

He was a stud in college sure would been late 1st or 2nd round pick. He was used by the medical staff and it almost killed him. Went to the CFL and proved he is ok to play. This is not your regular throw it against the wall and see if it sticks situation. This kid can play all he needed was to prove his heart could hold up and it did. we just got a free 2nd round draft pick. We also do not have 4,5, picks this year so we will have a few more moves like this. Demps and ballard are on deck as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:

He was a stud in college sure would been late 1st or 2nd round pick. He was used by the medical staff and it almost killed him. Went to the CFL and proved he is ok to play. This is not your regular throw it against the wall and see if it sticks situation. This kid can play all he needed was to prove his heart could hold up and it did. we just got a free 2nd round draft pick. We also do not have 4,5, picks this year so we will have a few more moves like this. Demps and ballard are on deck as well.

I have to believe there is more than the medical condition that kept the Patriots from signing him last fall. If they thought he was that great then why not sign him and cut him if it does not work out. He had a lot more to prove than just the heart condition coming out of USC.

Here are his negatives from a draft preview:  Lacks overall quickness in his game. Slow locating the ball. Struggles getting off blocks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dennard was low risk high reward that looks to have worked out.

Hernandez was low risk high reward that looks to have worked out.

Look at all the teams that have won the championship recently and look where the bulk of the core of those teams were acquired.

Ravens/49ers are built largely on guys they drafted and low risk signings (Whitner, Rodgers, Pollard, McKinnie)

Giants drafted their big 3 pass rushers, Cruz, Nicks, etc

Packers: Outside of Woodson, they pretty much draft all their guys

Saints: Sharper was a low risk high reward signing. Brees was the big splash. But FAs like Brees aren't always available.

Now lets look at some of the more recent quality talent signings.

Mario Williams, Nnamdi Asomugha, Mark Anderson, Albert Haynesworth, Roy Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Terrell Owens, Vincent Jackson, Julius Peppers, etc.

Neither of the teams that signed these guys look even remotely close to a Super Bowl contender. 

Brady was a low risk type of pick (What a horrible pick!)

Vrabel was a terrible signing too. He was a complete underachiever at the time of his signing. What a bust of a FA!

Here's a newsflash for you, just because they played great with one team doesn't mean they'll pan out great for the Pats. Do you remember Adalius Thomas? It's a hit or miss game. But most teams aren't built by being knee jerk and overpaying for "proven" players.

Pats aren't in a situation where they are a Corey Dillon away from being a complete team. They have a fair amount of needs and can't financially strap themselves to one player.

I have no problem with these type of signings. Dashon Goldson wasn't considered quality talent before resigning for the 49ers in 2011 (That's why he was only able to get a 1 year deal), but he ended up flourishing into an All-Pro. Donte Whitner wasn't a big name. Bernard Pollard? Some of these mid level FA's can become legitimate starters.

Great post!  Good points, can't arue much with you on this one, well done dapat!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Reggie White (Packers)? Charles Woodson (Packers)? Deion Sanders (Cowboys & 49ers)? Rod Woodson (Ravens)? Rodney Harrison (Patriots)? James Farrior (Steelers)? Plaxico Burress (Giants)?

And why doesn't Brees count?

This is a nice rebuttal to dapats post.  Thanks FrnkBnhm, well done!!

Good posts guys, this is how it should be done on these forums!!

Much respect to you guys!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I respect all of the opinions expressed on this thread but I simply can't see a downside to this signing.  If the kid works out, fantastic.  If he doesn't, the Pats have lost what exactly?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Perspective folks...perspective......

He is recovering from a heart attack. Why a young man would have a heart attack.....well....I'll leave it up to you folks to ponder that.

That being said....low risk for sure....but he is a very longshot to make the team come September.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The best comparison I can make between the CFL and the NFL is the CFL is a small Div II school while the NFL is the SEC. Yes every so often a player with tons of talent can make the jump but they are few and far inbetween. Even then they aren't drafted until the mid rounds anyways. If he works out then great but I wouldn't count on it and say, whelp he was dominate at the CFL level so we're good next to Wilfork, in the same way I'm sure all of us wouldn't want them to draft a WR from a small Div II school in the 4th and say, whelp that's our #1 WR now we don't have to resign Welker or look at other WR's. I'm hoping the kid works out and stuns us all but I'm not going to put all my eggs into one basket, I still either want to get a top end vet at DT or draft a kid in the first. Honestly, this guy is like a free pick anyways so having 3 starting caliber DT's (if he works out) is better then 2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The DE position wasn't the reason why the Buzzards QB was able throw as well as he did,it was the secondary and the lack of an interior rush. No one other than Fork rushing the QB from the interior! However Armstead did have a very good season in the CFL. Also Remember the CFL's field is wider and longer so I'm sure some of his Sacks were of the pursuit type sacks. I am wondering if he's related to the Armstead who used to play for the NYG?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

No disrespect, but if he "really stood out" can you tell me why he isn't credited with a single tackle, assist, sack, or forced fumble in the championship game stats?

http://www.cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/10447

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

No disrespect, but if he "really stood out" can you tell me why he isn't credited with a single tackle, assist, sack, or forced fumble in the championship game stats?

Armstead is a clogger who has a knack for getting through to the QB.  He's like Wilfork in that way.  His game doesn't always show up in numbers and stats.  He was nominated for rookie of the year in the CFL (which is no bush league - just more finesse).  In perspective, that is a high compliment for the Canadian league which has few DL standouts.  The Argos cooperated with his agent to let him go south and test the market.  They knew they wouldn't keep him beyond next season - Armstead wanted to go now.  It was an amicable split - he's a good kid with loads of potential.  I'd say he's beyond Chandler Jones in his development.  If he works out in the NFL - he'll turn heads and commentators will be mentioning his name often. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

ultpatfan

Armstead's agent is Don Yee, who represents Brady and Edelman. Wonder if Yee has a role in Armstead landing with the Pats instead of the Colts or Eagles. He always has a good working relationship with the organization.

Sections
Shortcuts