The Pats Have The Third Toughest Schedule In The NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

Re: The Pats Have The Third Toughest Schedule In The NFL

Looking over the schedule, I noticed a few things. First. It looks tough on paper. You never can tell how good a team will be from one year to the next. Second. Why in the hell do we play @ Indy again? Finally, all but 1 of our tough, out of division games are at home. IMO. Falcons, Ravens, Titans, Panthers.

With the bye in a great spot, TB back, a really nice FA offseason, and a bunch of early draft choices. I would say the 09 NFL season is starting to take shape rather nicely for the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

AGC-theres no harm done.I kind of figured thats what you meant.but to play it safe i just explained the purpose  of this post.its just real quiet in discussions because there isnt much news going on with the pats,and instead of repeating something i try to throw something up diffrent.
    Posted by mosseffect43

This topic will come up this entire season...  whether the Pats are trouncing or not, there will be those that will point to the perceived weaknesses or strength of the teams the Pats play.  Which team will pull a Dolphins or go the other way is the $64,000 questions going into each year.  If only the teams played on paper, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

raptor64d, speaking of one shot one kill how about those Navy Seals taking out those pirates, three shots simultaneously while at sea....awesome!
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Hitting any target on a moving platform from a moving platform is next to impossible - until they did it. x3.

Awesome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

bronson,

I remember reading that what we consider "rivalry" games -- i.e.: teams we seem to play every year are scheduled on a three-year rotating basis. The Pats play the Colts every year because these teams have been perennial division winners. Luck would have it that both are second-place finishers this year. We get them at Foxboro a few times, and then they get us in Indy a few times. I'll bet if you research this (I'm way too lazy) you'll see the pattern. Count me as one who likes playing the Colts every year. I hate the Dolphins and Jets as much as the next guy, and you should too, but that team in Indianapolis is the one who has played Simon Barr Sinister to our Underdog during most of the Pats' success in the last decade. Even last year, as well as Cassel did -- and what a wonderful surprise that was -- you could make the case that it was the Colts, and not the Jets laying down in week 17 ("Let's just go out there and have some fun and whatever happens, happens" -- tell the truth, if you could punch just one guy in the face with no consequences, you'd say Peyton Manning . . .  but you'd think about Brett Favre . . .   yes you would . . .    don't lie) that cost the Pats their playoff spot last season.

But I'm rambling . . .

I promise you this, bronson: If we get the Colts next year (and we might not, if you can believe that) it will be at Foxboro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

mosse at least now idiots like patsgoingdown, leon and the rest can't harp on the easy schedule the Pats had last year, even though these things are set years in advance and have little to do with the previous year results.

I gather that when a Jests fan complains that the Pats have an easy schedule they are admitting that their team sucking is part of what makes that schedule easy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

raptor64d, speaking of one shot one kill how about those Navy Seals taking out those pirates, three shots simultaneously while at sea....awesome!

Cake for these guys from that distance (50 yards) when you figure they can do this from 1000 yards in a high wind. The whole thing was well done. They kept them isolated by keeping them off shore and preventing their mother ship from bringing more hostages into the situation. Then quietly bringing in the needed guys and patiently waiting for the chance to remove them simultaneously.

Most ship owners avoid registering in the US to avoid the crew health and safety regulations and ship inspections but they may learn sailing under the stars and stripes has it's advantage.

Fitting that the ship was the Bainbridge. The 5th to carry the name of the man who lost the Philadelphia to the Barbary pirates.
    Bainbridged survived several years of captivity to later command the legendary Boston icon The Constitution during the War of 1812

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20090414/GETPUBLISHED/904140316

Also if you like reading military history read....

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

Mike,

Not sure about how they schedule who is at home for these games. It could be that 04-06 they played their regular season games in Foxboro. I do know that we played in Indy in 03. No Patriots fan will forget that classic game anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I hope we play the Colts every year, as long as Peyton in on the team. I just can't help myself when it comes to taking a shot at Indy. Yes, the ultimate shot would be to Manning's Mug. Forget Farve. True, both of those games cost us a playoff spot, but the Pats did not play well enough to win the Jets game and got lucky to send it to OT. Farve played a flawless game. Probably the only one of his "overratted" career.  Letting them convert on 3rd & 15 was inexcusable.

Talk about rambling...

Bring on the Draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hoo boy, this third toughest schedule stuff is baloney.

The Patriots drew eight home games and one Wembley game.  For the London game, the Florida team has to travel about 1500 miles more by air to get to England.  It's sort of a ninth home game.

The 2008 Jets have a 9-7 record, and that's worth nothing in predicting the 2009 Jets.  Brett Favre is gone, and it's Kellen Clemens or some second-tier draft pick.  Just as bad, the new Jets coach is tossing out people, bringing in his guys, and installing his offense and defense.  Not this year!

Indianapolis is going to be a disaster too.  Cap hell and a new coach. 

Buffalo took a step or two back with various 3 a.m. player antics. 

Miami is good, but they also got to be 11-5 by having a few bunnies on their 2008 schedule.  This year, Miami gets to play teams like the Tennessee Titans and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I wouldn’t give the Pats a home game for the trip to London.

It’s about 1100 more air miles, or two hours flight time, from Tampa.  Both teams play the week before. Both teams have a bye the next week.  BTW, if you factor in the trip to the airport its a lot easier for the Bucs. The Bucs training facilities and stadium in Tampa are virtually at the airport.

I know the Buccaneers have a following in England.  Maybe the fact that the Manchester United ownership also owns the Tampa Bay Bucs will influence some support in the stadium.

I think the bottom line is that having to go to Europe makes both the Pats and Bucs schedules tougher than the rest of the league.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The European trip is a monkey wrench in the season, that's for sure; but I don't really see how it's any different than traveling to the west coast .  .  .   except for the trip through customs, I suppose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Miss-Togah. Show I-Miss-Togah's posts

The only for sure loss I see for the Pats is when they have to play the Colts.

Thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Hoo boy, this third toughest schedule stuff is baloney. ...Posted by Paul_K

Remember the immortal words "you are what your record says you are"? Well, the schedule ranking is based strictly on prior year's records. You might disagree as to which teams have better records or which won games that you think they shouldn't have but the won-loss records of each team is a fact of life. What else are you going to base this whole thing on?

I think the real unfairness here is this business of having a preset format for each team's out-of-conference opponents. This is what results in the unfairness of aving the superbowl champion and runner up with two mof the league's easiest  schedules while non-playoff teams, i.e. pats and dolphins having the most diffficult.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

The European trip is a monkey wrench in the season, that's for sure; but I don't really see how it's any different than traveling to the west coast .  .  .   except for the trip through customs, I suppose.
    Posted by prairiemike

Your probably right Mike  Especially with the bye week following the trip.

And Alfie, I agree that you are what your record says you are.

One of the problems with looking at last years record to determine strength of scedule is that first place teams often beat the other teams in their own division twice, making them appear weaker.  Last year the Pats looked like they had the weakest schedule but that was because a lot of other team had to face an opponent with a 1.000 winning percentage (the Pats).  So the Pats perfect season skewed the numbers.

Oops!  Gotta go to lunch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Lunch?

Dude, where are you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

oops . . .

Never mind.

Central Time.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Florida, Mike.

It's a small world after all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Remember the immortal words "you are what your record says you are"? Well, the schedule ranking is based strictly on prior year's records. You might disagree as to which teams have better records or which won games that you think they shouldn't have but the won-loss records of each team is a fact of life. What else are you going to base this whole thing on? I think the real unfairness here is this business of having a preset format for each team's out-of-conference opponents. This is what results in the unfairness of aving the superbowl champion and runner up with two mof the league's easiest  schedules while non-playoff teams, i.e. pats and dolphins having the most diffficult.
    Posted by unclealfie

That isn't actually correct. "You are what your record says you are." really only applies to a team during that particular season. Far from immortal words. "You cannot step into the same river twice." are far better words for this situation.

It is meaningless to pretend that last year records create a strength of schedule for the current year. That strength is only accurate if you are playing the teams from the prior year or if the teams make minimal to zero changes and have the same injuries.

Your question "What else are you going to base this whole thing on" presumes that you actually have to base it on something. You don't have to. The media and the NFL just do it for a story.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

bronson, I remember reading that what we consider "rivalry" games -- i.e.: teams we seem to play every year are scheduled on a three-year rotating basis. The Pats play the Colts every year because these teams have been perennial division winners. Luck would have it that both are second-place finishers this year. We get them at Foxboro a few times, and then they get us in Indy a few times. I'll bet if you research this (I'm way too lazy) you'll see the pattern. Count me as one who likes playing the Colts every year. I hate the Dolphins and Jets as much as the next guy, and you should too, but that team in Indianapolis is the one who has played Simon Barr Sinister to our Underdog during most of the Pats' success in the last decade. Even last year, as well as Cassel did -- and what a wonderful surprise that was -- you could make the case that it was the Colts, and not the Jets laying down in week 17 ("Let's just go out there and have some fun and whatever happens, happens" -- tell the truth, if you could punch just one guy in the face with no consequences, you'd say Peyton Manning . . .  but you'd think about Brett Favre . . .   yes you would . . .    don't lie) that cost the Pats their playoff spot last season. But I'm rambling . . . I promise you this, bronson: If we get the Colts next year (and we might not, if you can believe that) it will be at Foxboro.
    Posted by prairiemike

The Pats actually play the Colts this year because they have the AFC South, not because they were both #2 in their divisions. The Pats have the Ravens and the Broncos as their the 2 games they play based on previous years' standing.

In looking at the past year's schedules, it looks like the NFL simply alternates the venue. They do this for the division versus division play - in 2006, the Pats played IND, HOU, @JAC, @TEN. This year they play TEN, @IND, JAC, @HOU.

They also do it for the 2 extra games based on division standing. In 2004 and 2007, they played these games against the AFC West and South team with the same divisional standing the previous year. They played the South opponent (IND) at home and the West (KC) away. In 2007, they played the South opponent (again IND) away and the West (this time San Diego) at home. This pattern repeats for 2005 and 2008 where they played the AFC North and South teams of the same standing and in 2006 and 2009 where they played (will play) the North and West teams of the same standing.

Sections
Shortcuts