The Pats need a real OC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: The Pats need a real OC

In this situation I will say never. Weis wont be back in NE. Also bringing in a new OC does not mean we need to change our system it just means we bring someone in who knows how to call a play. Someone who can close out a game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need a real OC:
    Charlie Wies wont be back in NE but there are still plenty of good coaches out there we could bring in. But giving Brady all the control is not a good idea.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Yeah, I agree dude. I won't completely rule Charlie out but they have to quit replacing good coaches with who ever the next guy in line is. I'm more concerned with the defensive side of the ball right now but we need help on the O.C. side too. Let's see who gets axed in the off season because there are always a few good guys out there. If you're going to be an O.C. what better team to come in and do it for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The Pats need a real DC too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Here is where I stand on the D, 3 weeks ago we all thought the D looked great. We had the number 2 D in the league up until recently. I have never liked Dean Pees and I hope we replace him but I am way more concerned with the O. We all thought the D was going to be bad to start the year and we were wrong. Really wrong...as the D was a great surprise. And the O was the issue not the D then we had a few bad games on D and all the focus is on how bad the D is but news flash everyone both sides of the ball look like sh*t. The offense should have put two more scores on the board yesterday and if they do that then the D is not an issue but we turn the ball over in the red zone and we cant win like that.

The D is sopossed to be playing like this, they are young and we expected this but they were so good in the beginning that we thought they were going to be better all year and now they are starting to play like we thought they would. The offense on the other hand is not playing and has not been playing the way they should be playing. And for me the one glaring change this season is that we let Josh McDaniel's walk and now we have no true OC to call the plays and work sh*t out with Brady. SO Brady is now the defacto OC and its NOT WORKING. We need a true OC next season if we want this to change.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Execution, execution, exection. Great teams that reach the 5 yard line twice; score 14 or 10 points Good teams; score 6 points Poor teams; score 3 points Lousy teams; score 0 points, can't make one yard and throw INTs in the endzone
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Yes!  I like it just as much as the first time I saw it.

Although I think it's the defense that needs to execute because I think the plays that are called on defense by a defense-minded head coach are good enough if someone could just win a one-on-one matchup at the line o scrimmage.

The offense needs better playcalling, not just better execution.  And I think the slowness of the play call is what caused Brady to get to the line of scrimmage so late, hurry Welker in motion, hurry the snap (and get away with delay of game), and make a bad throw.  There's no excuse for taking 20-30 seconds to get the play call in.  HIRE WEIS ASAP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Nick can you see me post? did i get banned?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Nick can you see me post? did i get banned?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

You're still alive Killa.  BTW, if you click on your profile you might see if you are banned.  I had a message recently because someone reported my avatar as offensive.  You could also just sign out and view the page while not logged in.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckles101. Show chuckles101's posts

I'm not concerned.  Belichick will learn from the Indy & Miami losses.  Brady had no business throwing that lob to Moss on 2nd down.  Terrible play by him.  The catch by Aiken was pure luck.  The 4th down run from the 6 was a terrible call, not Brady's fault, but he could have changed it at the line of scrimmage.  All's we can hope is we win the division & host a playoff game.  Stay thirsty my friends.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Bill O'Brein BLOWS, and we need to kill him before the 3rd parter of games, because thats when he starts choosing bad plays and we give up our leads

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

How bout Belichick's old buddy Mike Shanahan

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I wish but Shanahan will be a head coach next year so it would never happen. I am sure there are a few college coaches out there right now with ties to Belichick that can call a game better then teh OC we got now so I would like to see us get someone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

either is bringing in a new oc out side the system he knows. for him to learn a new system will set him and the team back farther.now if they were to work around to his strengths,and get the proper players needed i could see it working,but that would be the only way it could work.as for weiss? never say never.next year is a ways off.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Moss, a question I'm starting to ask is how long can a system be in place before it's no longer effective?  Is there an expiration date on any good scheme?  Can you expect a system to remain effective forever?  Can you say that after a certain amount of years opposing coaches will know your system too well?  Can you say that successful systems are imitated, thus making them more common in the NFL, thus less successful?  Is this one of the major factors why few coaches remain successful beyond 10 years?

Moral to my story, perhaps a new system isn't a bad thing...  That said, I think we just need to reset our offensive system to pre-2007.  I'd rather watch the team hoist a Lombardi than see them make the highlight reel.

BTW, our defensive system has also been in place a long time.  I'd ask the same questions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

DJ, good point. Going back to Charlie would almost be a change, he's been gone for 5 years and his imagination and keen offensive mind would make the offense look like it was overhauled.

On the defensive side I would like to see Dick Jauron become the DC. He and BB are friends he is a defensive mind and the defense in Buffalo was always good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I would be ok with bringing in Dick Jauron, he is worth a shot. I would really like to see us bring in a new DC and a new OC. That is a lot to ask for one offseason, I doubt we change both the offensive scheme and the defensive scheme in one off season but i would like to see it. Heck i would be ok with bringing in a Brian Billick if it worked. All thought I do think bringing in a big time former head coach can be a good thing and a bad thing. Guys like Billick and Jauron have been in the league a long time and therefore maybe people have figured them out. Thats why I always liked Josh McDanials, the more our fans ripped him down as a OC the more i loved him, the more our fans called for us to bring in a veteran coach the more i liked the young kid. We the fans are generally wrong. It would be nice to hold an open try out for coaching instead of just letting Bill pick someone he knows but in the end Bill is going to do what he wants because he knows more then us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbmbc. Show gbmbc's posts

It has become apparent that the phiosophy which made the Patriots a great success has gone by the way side ,The West Coast Offense.Simply said with 2 backs in the game Brady doesn't get murdered and and most importanty the philosophy behind the offense is pure gold,short passes  and passes to running backs keep the defense on their heels, opening up both the deep routes and running lanes.When this offense was implemented I could not guess with a high probablity of success what play was coming ,now I could bet my house on being right every play.I love Bill but it is his job to fix this.Kevin faulk should be catching more than 1 pass a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!Response to Re: The Pats need a real OC:
    In Response to Re: The Pats need a real OC : This is a part of the  problem, too. For a team that not too  long ago had so many options at WR how did we let the cupboard get so bare? Watson showed some definate improvement early this year making big catches and holding on to the ball but I can't remember the last time tommy went to him. What's up with that? We really need a major improvement at OC. Nevermind this "promoting form within" BS, go out and hire the best OC out there. Mr. Kraft can use the money he's saving from Romeo and charlie to pay the new guy. Our offense is so limited and predictable its pathetic. If often looks as if our playbook consists of one page.
    Posted by unclealfie

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

...I had a message recently because someone reported my avatar as offensive...
    Posted by carawaydj

Offensive???  Well I guess there will always be those who see the instruments of freedom as offensive.  By the way, is that an Abrahms?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In Response to The Pats need a real OC:
    This is not a call fro Charlie Wies so dont mistake it as that. What I am saying is that I think the lack of a true OC has hurt us a lot this season. The play calling has been pretty bad, and Tom Brady has been burning timeouts for what seems like no reason game in and game out which I think has a lot to do with O Brian not being able to get the play call into the helmet head set fast enough and then Brady has to burn a timeout cause the play wasnt in on time or the coverage didnt match or whatever. I think that these things would be fixed if we go out and get a real OC in the offseason. I am not suggesting we do it mid season cause thats a bad move but as soon as we can I would like to bring in a real OC. Thoughts? do we need one? If so what coaches OTHER THEN CHARLIE WEIS would you like to see on the staff as a OC?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Got to agree Killa.  I have one word for this offense V-A-N-I-L-L-A!  Where is the innovation?  One thing I think the Pats are good at is exploiting other teams weaknesses.  However, they don't seem to be able to look at themselves and say "how would we exploit us if we were the other team?"  I still think they should use Maroney as a tight end.  He gets more yards when Brady fakes the handoff and then pumps it to him as he's running across the front. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need a real OC : Offensive???  Well I guess there will always be those who see the instruments of freedom as offensive.  By the way, is that an Abrahms?
    Posted by 347pg

Yup, an M1 Abrams.  The picture was taken back in 1987 in Grafenwohr Germany at the gunnery range.  Those were the days when you could still drive your tank through a German village.  Gotta love it.  There are a couple of trolls here (Leon, Jintsfan) who hate all things military, so it doesn't surprise me my avatar was reported as offensive.  I could understand that if I put my mug front and center, but I did the decent thing and put the mug way in the background to spare everyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

And we thank you for that lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I expect we'll see a new OC next season. I pointed out my unhappiness with the play calling and design early in the season and was shouted down as a bandwagon fan. The organization was obviously hurt by the quick departure of McDaniels and there was no ready replacement for internal promotion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Which is not acceptable to me, they knew McDanials was on his way out, he was offered the job in Baltimore and Atlanta last year and he turned them down so we knew he was heading out of town and we didnt put anyone in place to replace him when he left. O Brian clearly was not the answer but instead just the best guy they had on the staff. And they should have seen this coming and brought in a more established coach for the OC spot.

Sections
Shortcuts