the pats should draft with oaklands pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: the pats should draft with oaklands pick

In Response to Re: the pats should draft with oaklands pick:
    [QUOTE]I believe Marcell Dareus will be a top 10 pick. We would have to trade up for him.  After watching Alabama play today I wouldnt mind us drafting Ingram. He reminds me of Curtis Martin and Emitt Smith.
    Posted by 617AcrossDaBoard[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked to see the Patriots draft a Rb with the Raiders pick.....It does not seem like something BB would do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Akeem Ayers -OLB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

trade the pick- I know we all want a big-name player from the draft but the money these rookies get these days are ridiculous, and if it doesn't pan out it can cripple the salary cap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to the pats should draft with oaklands pick:
    [QUOTE]i believe they should draft DT Marcell Dareus from alabama to sur up our defensive line and will also help when ty warren ccomen back next year and we also get leign bodden back.
    Posted by nellie2355[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Put him at RE and we're done. This defense is a top 5 defense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from erstwhilebuddha. Show erstwhilebuddha's posts

I think that unless there is a true impact player on the board they will trade it out entirerly and try and get 2 twos for it in another draft. I think they'll hold their own and Carolinas 2nd rounder and draft there, or perhaps package them and move up if there is a player they want a few spots up late in the first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

There are only three ways I think BB will go with the Raider pick assuming he doesn't trade down. 

1.  Draft Fairley, Dareus or Watt.  I think the first two will likely be gone.  If JJ Watt is there, we need to be all over him. 

2.  Draft the best OT available, hopefully Solder or Castonzo.  I like Carimi too but think he's a little less nimble than the other two.

3.  Draft Julio Jones if he's there.

I'm sure everyone will disagree with the Jones pick and I know BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  Jones is a special player and he's a Nick Saban boy.  Branch will be 32 next year and set to earn $6MM.  Welker turns 30, both are set to become F/A after 2011.  Tate is not the answer.  Jones would make our offense even more lethal if possible.

My other rationale is we have 2 picks essentially at the bottom of round 1.  I am really liking Justin Houston there as our OLB.  I think he's better suited for us than any of the first round OLB options like Ayers or Kerrigan.  If we go option 1 or 3 with the Raider pick we can still move Vollmer over to LT and draft a RT a little later on like a Pinkston or Watkins. 

For OG, we can wait until the 3rd round at the earliest.  I'd look for a quick OG or a guy who played OT in college.  BB doesn't like too much beef on his OL.  He wants them to be able to pull etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Akeem Ayers -OLB
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]

Do you have any links of extensive footage on him?

The footage I have seem on him so far on youtube is average at best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoisking. Show zoisking's posts

Good thoughts Faucetman.

I'd expect us to move down from Oakland's pick due to the quality of players who will be available later in the first round and early second.  I believe Watt would be the type of player who falls into that range, and he would definitely help.

I like Houston as well.  That's two for two.

What do you think about CB?  I like Harris from the U due to his cover ability and tackling.  Bodden being back will help, but I would like to see another groomed to play opposite McCourty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't even see any point in speculating.  He will not do whatever it is we think he will do.  That is a fact year after year.  What he keeps, who he picks, what he trades, its always something no one saw coming.  The only thing I have learned is Mel Kiper doesn't know what the Patriots will do, I don't either, but it's almost always the right thing.  Remember he had Sergio Kindle as a Patriot.  Whew, we dodged THAT bullet.

I'm not saying you shouldn't speculate, it's fun and all that, but it never matches reality, then all these people start up with the "we should have drafted so and so" threads, and then its blah, blah, blah, blah until ONCE AGAIN the players prove the system works.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]There are only three ways I think BB will go with the Raider pick assuming he doesn't trade down.  1.  Draft Fairley, Dareus or Watt.  I think the first two will likely be gone.  If JJ Watt is there, we need to be all over him.  

So far not overly impressed with Watt compared to the Hype. I only saw him today in the bowl game and some on youtube. 

Reading to many reports that Fairly is a liability against the run because he's undisciplined but can't discern if thats because he's only asked to penetrate and get after the Qb. Don't know his responsibilities as no one does that is not on that team. Only a concern because the job in the Pats 3-4 is to anchor, know your fits, and stop the run first.

Dareus certainly looked great in the bowl game but no idea if the players he was going against were worth a lick.

2.  Draft the best OT available, hopefully Solder or Castonzo.  I like Carimi too but think he's a little less nimble than the other two. 

Haven't really seen them play enough but two thoughts.

Costanzo - got to love the pedigree of the program he's coming from. BC has produced some solid NFL linemen over the years.

Solder - I always get nervous when i read far to much hype about a players massive size and potential and not enough about his substance and performance.

3.  Draft Julio Jones if he's there. 

Really looks good but really who cares so much about the elite WR's that early. It would at least be an interesting discussion. How many super bowl rings do WR's drafted in the top 16 picks have in the past 10 years or so?

Keyshawn Johnson
    Terry Glenn
    Ike Hilliard
    Yatil Green
    Reidel Anthony
    Kevin Dyson
    Torry Holt
    David Boston
    Troy edwards
    Peter Warrick
    PLaxico Burress
    Travis taylor
    David Terrell
    Koren Robinson
    Rod Gardner
    Santana Moss
    Donte Stallworth
    Charles Rodgers
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Roy Williams
    Reggie Williams
    Lee Evans
    Michael Clayton
    Braylon Edwards
    Troy Williamson
    Mike WIlliams
    Calvin Johnson
    Ted Ginn Jr
    Darius Heyward bay
    Michael Crabtree

All of those WR's were drafted 16th or higher since 1996. You are good at research Faucet. I would be interested to know how many of those guys won superbowls for the team that drafted them.

I'm sure everyone will disagree with the Jones pick and I know BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  Jones is a special player and he's a Nick Saban boy.  Branch will be 32 next year and set to earn $6MM.  Welker turns 30, both are set to become F/A after 2011.  Tate is not the answer.  Jones would make our offense even more lethal if possible. My other rationale is we have 2 picks essentially at the bottom of round 1.  I am really liking Justin Houston there as our OLB.  I think he's better suited for us than any of the first round OLB options like Ayers or Kerrigan.  If we go option 1 or 3 with the Raider pick we can still move Vollmer over to LT and draft a RT a little later on like a Pinkston or Watkins.  For OG, we can wait until the 3rd round at the earliest.  I'd look for a quick OG or a guy who played OT in college.  BB doesn't like too much beef on his OL.  He wants them to be able to pull etc. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]There are only three ways I think BB will go with the Raider pick assuming he doesn't trade down.  1.  Draft Fairley, Dareus or Watt.  I think the first two will likely be gone.  If JJ Watt is there, we need to be all over him.  2.  Draft the best OT available, hopefully Solder or Castonzo.  I like Carimi too but think he's a little less nimble than the other two. 3.  Draft Julio Jones if he's there. I'm sure everyone will disagree with the Jones pick and I know BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  Jones is a special player and he's a Nick Saban boy.  Branch will be 32 next year and set to earn $6MM.  Welker turns 30, both are set to become F/A after 2011.  Tate is not the answer.  Jones would make our offense even more lethal if possible. My other rationale is we have 2 picks essentially at the bottom of round 1.  I am really liking Justin Houston there as our OLB.  I think he's better suited for us than any of the first round OLB options like Ayers or Kerrigan.  If we go option 1 or 3 with the Raider pick we can still move Vollmer over to LT and draft a RT a little later on like a Pinkston or Watkins.  For OG, we can wait until the 3rd round at the earliest.  I'd look for a quick OG or a guy who played OT in college.  BB doesn't like too much beef on his OL.  He wants them to be able to pull etc. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]They will not draft Fairly, he is a 1 gap up the field rusher.  JJ Watt will be available at 32. Dareus would be the Only Player in this Draft to make a move on. Carimi will also be available late first probably until middle of second.I would Love Julio Jones just don't see it happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeneSteratore. Show GeneSteratore's posts

Jeremy Beal would be an awesome pick with the way he's playing in this years Fiesta Bowl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]Jeremy Beal would be an awesome pick with the way he's playing in this years Fiesta Bowl.
    Posted by GeneSteratore[/QUOTE]Agreed Take Ingram at 15 and Beal at 32

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Trade down and draft Mohammad Wilkerson late in the 1st. That gives us another 2nd to work with, so we can push another pick or two forward. I love it; we'll operate from a position of strength, and keep rolling assets forward, ensuring that we will always reload. :D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

[QUOTE]Good thoughts Faucetman. I'd expect us to move down from Oakland's pick due to the quality of players who will be available later in the first round and early second. 

Based on where that oak pick is 15 (today), I say that if #57 Dareus from ALA. is there at 7 or 8, I can NOT see how BB does not move up and get him. He is exactly what BB looks for in a DE/DL in his 3-4 sets. #57 commands a double team, strong, fast and can set the edge at 6"4 303 lbs. He is the one player that I can see moving up and getting and it would cost at least 3rd round or that late 2nd to move up but he is worth it. I am so high on him after watching him for two years, that NE could even switch picks with Dallas, like 7 and 38 for 15 and 32 or 33. But he would have to fall to at least # 7 as of today.  Warren, Willfork and Dareus would be sick. As for the next pick I like Beal DE from Okla or Houston OLB from GA or Ben OL from VIllanova.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Dareus would be an incredible addition, but the odds of him falling to us are slim to none.  I would be shocked if BB traded up into the top 10 of this draft.  Faucet, I agree that Julio would be a great pick at 15.  I think he would fit New England's system better than any high-profile wideout in this draft.  He is very physical, blocks well, and runs great routes, and comes from a system that BB is very comfortable with.  Gets a bad rep. for a few drops, but I believe he can easily correct this.  With that being said, I seriously doubt BB would take a WR that high.  My prediction for the Oak. pick is that BB will trade back once or twice and then take the best OT available. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoisking. Show zoisking's posts

We need depth and help at a few positions-one of the reasons I'm never too fond of trading up in the first round.

Watt would be asked to take up two linemen in our system, allowing our OLBs to get after the QB.  That's ability that I see him having.  He doesn't wow you with his play, but he is strong, has good size, and can get behind the line.  Add an OLB like Houston to take advantage of Watt's disrupting ability and you could be in for another strong draft two picks in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

one of the top players in the big east, done it two years in a row

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]3.  Draft Julio Jones if he's there. I'm sure everyone will disagree with the Jones pick and I know BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  Jones is a special player and he's a Nick Saban boy.  Branch will be 32 next year and set to earn $6MM.  Welker turns 30, both are set to become F/A after 2011.  Tate is not the answer.  Jones would make our offense even more lethal if possible. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Hi Faucetman, Branch reduced his salary for next year to 2.2 mill or so, so not to heavy of a problem $$ wise. With WR still on the roster next year, I doubt a WR in first 2 rounds unless BB moves down and grabs extra picks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

[QUOTE]We need depth and help at a few positions-one of the reasons I'm never too fond of trading up in the first round. Watt would be asked to take up two linemen in our system, allowing our OLBs to get after the QB.  That's ability that I see him having.  He doesn't wow you with his play, but he is strong, has good size, and can get behind the line.  Add an OLB like Houston to take advantage of Watt's disrupting ability and you could be in for another strong draft two picks in.
    Posted by zoisking[/QUOTE]
    Zoisking:
    I like the thought and I would very happy with those choices if we stay put, but my question to you and all that want to respond is, IF Dareus or Fairley is there at #8 would you trade 15 and the last pick of the 2nd round to get one of them? We would still have Carolina's 2nd and two 3rd round choices ect.... or swap picks with like Dallas 15-32 for 7-38. This is the first time in a long time it is within trade up range to get his type of guy and a true difference maker from the DE/DL perpective. Note: He stayed put one year and lost out on Percy Harvin, so he moved down, just my opinion.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Just like every draft, the best player available at a premium need position.

I'd say defensive tackle is highly likely to shore up depth at end and have Gerrard Warren's replacement or an alternative for Ty Warren if he can't come back from injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

15 - Ryan Kerrigan or Nate Solder
    32 - Carimi or Jeremy Beal
    33 - Ryan Broyles or Stephen Wisniewski

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

I'm not going to pretend to know more about College Ball than I really do, but I say 1st round DE, then OLB, 2nd round DE, then OLB. 3rd round FS, then WR. We desperately need a true, dominant pass rusher, and a real overhaul of the pass rush in general. Merriweather is overated, give someone a chance to get his spot or allow for a trade some day in the future, and we are a little thin at WR beyond Welker and Branch. Feel free to disagree, I'm certainly not an expert.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the pats should draft with oaklands pick :
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

"How many super bowl rings do WR's drafted in the top 16 picks have in the past 10 years or so?"

My counter to this question would be, how many of said WR's were drafted by an elite team with an all-time QB in the top 16?