The Pats should resign Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The Pats should resign Welker

Welker played his heart out for the Pats. I do not understand why loyalty and performance are not rewarded, even if it does not make the strictest business sense from a bean counter point of view? The Patriot's way should not be an one way street. God knows how much money had been wasted in signing busts like Fanene. Haynesworth, Ochocinco, Galloway, Adalius Thomas? How about swallowing a little for Welker?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: The Pats should resign Welker

When will you guys realize that resigning Welker isn't the problem, it's how much will it take it resign him. 

I told you guys already, he got offered a 2 year 16 with a 3rd year team option in the summer. His agent wanted a 3 year 45  contract. Belichick isn't paying 15 million for a WR, especially not a slot WR. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to pay Wes all that cash, but it won't be New England. 

Put that money in the defense and let's get some pass-rushers. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

When will you guys realize that resigning Welker isn't the problem, it's how much will it take it resign him. 

I told you guys already, he got offered a 2 year 16 with a 3rd year team option in the summer. His agent wanted a 3 year 45  contract. Belichick isn't paying 15 million for a WR, especially not a slot WR. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to pay Wes all that cash, but it won't be New England. 

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I have never seen a value Welker wanted.  I know he wanted more then 2 years but I never heard or read an amount they were looking for.  I find $45 mil contract hard to believe he was wanting.  Do you have a link or anything to back this amount up?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I have never seen a value Welker wanted.  I know he wanted more then 2 years but I never heard or read an amount they were looking for.  I find $45 mil contract hard to believe he was wanting.  Do you have a link or anything to back this amount up?

[/QUOTE]

3/$45 was never asked for an is a useless figure anyways. The hang up was the guaranteed money. Wes (agent) wanted $25 guaranteed, the Pats went to about $20 (2 years of franch tags). That $5mil was the difference.

I would assume the Pats are again willing to offer approx $20 mil guaranteed to Wes...

Regardess if the offer is spread over 2-4 years is salary cap massage, the guarantee is the part that hung up a deal.

I could see a signing bonus of $12 mil and 3 year contract from the PAts side. Questiuon is would Wes want more? Could he get more elsewhere?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They should sign him. Dude has played his heart out, but I can't seehim getting 15 Million a year, maybe if he was younger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Like I said in an earlier thread, if they dont want him for multi years then locking him up with the franchise tage next year will be just fine.  That will put him at $20 million for 2 years, pretty close what they wanted to begin with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Isn't this type of thread started every week? Seriously? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

Like I said in an earlier thread, if they dont want him for multi years then locking him up with the franchise tage next year will be just fine.  That will put him at $20 million for 2 years, pretty close what they wanted to begin with.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, and in that case they ought to just sign him up for 3 at $30 mil.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The main point of this thread, sometimes the Pats should do things to reward loyal and productive  players and not just get the best businesswise on every turn.  Franchising Welker without giving him a longer term contract, or let him try the open market is not a two way street when a player played his heart out and had never held out from camp or employ any negative negotiating tactics. We have to undertand the players have limited career span as well and does have to look out for himself and his family. And God knows the Pats had blown enough money needlessly in busted signings as forementioned. 

And for mthurl, if topic bores you, you did not have to click on the thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The main point of this thread, sometimes the Pats should do things to reward loyal and productive  players and not just get the best businesswise on every turn.  Franchising Welker without giving him a longer term contract, or let him try the open market is not a two way street when a player played his heart out and had never held out from camp or employ any negative negotiating tactics. We have to undertand the players have limited career span as well and does have to look out for himself and his family. And God knows the Pats had blown enough money needlessly in busted signings as forementioned. 

[/QUOTE]

I think there may be some truth to this. 

I don't understand all the offers though.  We have no idea what he was offered or what he would accept so just throwing around numbers doesn't mean he will go for it no matter what we think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think it's a worthy topic. WW has 100+ catches in every season he's been here, came back from an injury and played his rear-end off when he came back. He's getting older and taking some hard hits-but he's worth at least 10-11 million a year. Ans I'm sure Brady wants him around forever. Example Pouting got Stokely in Denver and that has helped them alot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Wleker is Welker, not Calvin Johnson. Not AJ Green. Not Marrvin Harrison. Not Randy Moss. THere will be games when he is not a major factor. But that is true for everyone. The value of Welker is that he is a safety blanket that can make game changing difference for any really good QB. I hate to think of what Peyton Manning could do or get away with with a guy like Welker. Same for Rodgers. Same for Luck. Same for Rothlesberger. Maybe not so much for lesser QBs.

He is a huge asset to a TB led O. I hope the Pats take into account his worth to this team as opposed to his worth on other teams.