The Pats wanted Harvin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The Pats wanted Harvin!

According to CBS sports, the Pats wanted Percy Harvin.   Explains why they chose to just trade out of the 1st rd when Minn took him.  I'm happy they didn't get Harvin, this guy tested positive for marijuana use just before the combine, any player lacking that much discipline is bound to get into more trouble.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11688781

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: The Pats wanted Harvin!

What I gather from that interview is that the Jets wanted Harvin, but couldn't get him. And more speculation about NE wanting Harvin, that is based in rumors.

Judge probably got his inside information from Childress. LOL. Why tell Harvin to "keep quiet"?

Whatever Childress wants to tell himself to feel comfortable with his pick is fine. But it means nothing to me. I find it especially funny considering how terrible a manager Chilldress really is. If he wanted to "steal" something from NE he should have started by "stealing" Matt Cassel for a first rounder, and then he might have a QB on his roster that could pass for an NFL starter.

Second, you never "steal" someone from someone else. That is the point of the draft. It is numbered for a reason. You take who is on the board. If Minny had traded ahead of NE or NY I could almost see the analogy, if I were squinting and tilting my head sideways.

I love the writer floats it out there that Tate has anything to do with Harvin being their target-- and thus it means he was stolen.

But it is ludicrous. NE took Brace. I guess GB "stole" Raji from NE. Ne took Vollmer. So I guess St. Louis "stole" Smith from NE too. And of course NE took Butler, which logically means that NE had Jenkins stolen out from underneath them.

And the other 255 selections were "steals" too, right before the Cheifs "stole" the last pick Ryan Succop from all the other teams hoping to sign him as an RFA.

Unless there was a gift from God, like Tyson Jackson, Monroe or someone like Orakpo dropping down to #23, someone head and shoulders above the others down there, NE wasn't staying put. Especially not for Harvin. If they really wanted Harvin they could have used on of their 8000 selections to move up a spot or two to make sure to get him like they did with Ty Warren.

Man alive, what people will report on to fill their pages.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

[QUOTE]According to CBS sports, the Pats wanted Percy Harvin.   Explains why they chose to just trade out of the 1st rd when Minn took him.  I'm happy they didn't get Harvin, this guy tested positive for marijuana use just before the combine, any player lacking that much discipline is bound to get into more trouble. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11688781
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

there's nothign wrong with smoking marijuana, i know plenty of co-workers who do and they do their jobs just fine, why should athletes be any different?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

This is a load of c r a p (they won't let you post that word, strange, isn't it?) propigated by Childress. Regardless of the failed test, they weren't going to select a WR at 23, anyway. I'm sure this rumor in no way came from any source in Foxboro (unless fat-boy Tomase is spreading more lies). Childress just wants to make an excuse for reaching for a player who was likely to slip quite a bit. And the combine test aside, this kid has a history of injuries. He may have been an explosive player in Gainsville, but so was another guy...Chad Jackson! I would bet money BB had no intention of taking this guy, especially at 23.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]This is a load of c r a p (they won't let you post that word, strange, isn't it?) propigated by Childress. Regardless of the failed test, they weren't going to select a WR at 23, anyway. I'm sure this rumor in no way came from any source in Foxboro (unless fat-boy Tomase is spreading more lies). Childress just wants to make an excuse for reaching for a player who was likely to slip quite a bit. And the combine test aside, this kid has a history of injuries. He may have been an explosive player in Gainsville, but so was another guy...Chad Jackson! I would bet money BB had no intention of taking this guy, especially at 23.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Do you think if he's a bust Childress will blame BB?
    Reese said the same thing in his online chat today. This is Childress trying to justify the pick to the fans and local sports press by sticking a 'BB Appoved ' label on the kid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

[QUOTE]there's nothign wrong with smoking marijuana, i know plenty of co-workers who do and they do their jobs just fine, why should athletes be any different?
    Posted by scauma82[/QUOTE]
    I agree about their being nothing wrong with it, but the fact is the NFL tests for it and if a player test positive they can be suspended. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im glad cbs knows what the pats will,or wont do.just as the vikes knew.and the pats are not gonna tell harvin what they are gonna do.they may tell him they are intreasted,and if he fell to 23 they may consider it.but its obvious the pats were not desperate to have him for they had the draft picks to move up to get him.percy is gonna be the next bethal johnson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]there's nothign wrong with smoking marijuana, i know plenty of co-workers who do and they do their jobs just fine, why should athletes be any different?
    Posted by scauma82

Hello - its against the law. What kind of work do you do? Drive a school bus? I hope not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

You never know but I also have a hard time believing the Pats wanted to take Harvin in the 1st rd.  I don't really see him as an outside receiver but more of a slot guy like Welker or a 3rd down back like Faulk.  Because of this, I think he'd be more of a situational player early in his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Dr. Z had the Pats taking Harvin at 23 in his Sports Illustrated mock draft and I thought it was one of those, "Look how clever I am, going against the grain" picks. Chilly can tell himself whatever he wants (he has no problem telling himself that Tavaris Jackson is an NFL quarterback), but if the Pats really wanted this guy they certainly had the picks to move up -- although I also read plenty of speculation that nobody ahead of the Pats would deal with them. Harvin may turn out to be an effective NFL receiver (although how he is going to do that in Minnesota, where there is no quarterback, escapes me), but the penchant for smoking weed when he knows he's going to be tested aside, this kid has "attitude problem" written all over him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Do you think if he's a bust Childress will blame BB?
    Reese said the same thing in his online chat today. This is Childress trying to justify the pick to the fans and local sports press by sticking a 'BB Appoved ' label on the kid.

My thoughts exactly Evil.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Dr. Z??!!  He can't speak or write after his stroke. Where did you get that information?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

My bad.

It was Peter King.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]Dr. Z??!!  He can't speak or write after his stroke. Where did you get that information?
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

NEGAME.

My, you have changed!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by scauma82[/QUOTE]

The irony of this post is awesome. You might not get it, but I find that someone taking a pro-marijuana stance who can't correctly punctuate a sentence is perfect irony. 

Out of curiosity, just what do your co-workers do? Any company I've worked for where I had even the slightest bit of responsibility tested their workers for drugs. This includes major banking corporations and the US Government. Where do you find a job where they don't care what condition you show up in?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Dr. Z had the Pats taking Harvin at 23 in his Sports Illustrated mock draft and I thought it was one of those, "Look how clever I am, going against the grain" picks. Chilly can tell himself whatever he wants (he has no problem telling himself that Tavaris Jackson is an NFL quarterback), but if the Pats really wanted this guy they certainly had the picks to move up -- although I also read plenty of speculation that nobody ahead of the Pats would deal with them. Harvin may turn out to be an effective NFL receiver (although how he is going to do that in Minnesota, where there is no quarterback, escapes me), but the penchant for smoking weed when he knows he's going to be tested aside, this kid has "attitude problem" written all over him.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Wasn't all this said about Randy Moss as well. He dropped in much the same way. He seems to have done all right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Last year the Jets at #6 stole stone-hips Gholston right out from under the Patriots at #7.  The brilliantly executed steal left the Patriots heartbroken and their season just wasn't the same.  *Sigh!*

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Enoch,

The Randy Moss comparisons are flying fast and furious around Winter Park, but that is just Vikings fan getting carried away with himself.  I don't really take a very strong stance against the weed. From my perspective, drinking is at least equally as bad and that is perfectly legal. I think what has people questioning Harvin's character is not that he likes to toke up, but that the combine was probably the most important event in his life as far as taking advantage of his potential to secure his future; he knew it was coming and he chose to engage in activity that he had to know would be discovered. That's thumbing your nose at the league and is a symptom of a much bigger problem. I don't know about any of you, but I certainly wouldn't go through a job interview process where I knew there was going to be urinalysis with THC in my system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

This would have been a great pick up.  Not trying to say I predicted this but my feeling was he stood a chance of being picked up by the Pats, not only because of the great relationship with Meyer, but because he would be Kevin Faulk version 2.0 down the line.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

BB learned his lesson. We don't need anymore head cases like Chad Jackson and Laura Maroney.

We did pass on Maulauga.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Enoch, The Randy Moss comparisons are flying fast and furious around Winter Park, but that is just Vikings fan getting carried away with himself.  I don't really take a very strong stance against the weed. From my perspective, drinking is at least equally as bad and that is perfectly legal. I think what has people questioning Harvin's character is not that he likes to toke up, but that the combine was probably the most important event in his life as far as taking advantage of his potential to secure his future; he knew it was coming and he chose to engage in activity that he had to know would be discovered. That's thumbing your nose at the league and is a symptom of a much bigger problem. I don't know about any of you, but I certainly wouldn't go through a job interview process where I knew there was going to be urinalysis with THC in my system.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

But with THC, it doesn't necessarily imply recent use. It is easily absorbed into fat cells and can be released when the fat is burned. He could have been smoking before training camp and, because of the excessive workouts and training to get ready for the combine, burned some fat where it was stored. 

I am one who thinks smokers are idiots, personally. My cat knows not to breath smoke into her lungs. So I am far less tolerant of choices that people make as individuals that affect others - pot use which leads to poor decision judgment which can lead to anything, texting while driving, etc... I don't care if people are stupid with themselves. I just don't like it when their disregard puts others in danger.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]According to CBS sports, the Pats wanted Percy Harvin.   Explains why they chose to just trade out of the 1st rd when Minn took him.  I'm happy they didn't get Harvin, this guy tested positive for marijuana use just before the combine, any player lacking that much discipline is bound to get into more trouble. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11688781
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

they must has seen something in harvin to draft him even with his positive marijuana test. they still drafted a guy that tested positive for marijuana during the combine in Tate. Ill take Tate in the 3rd over harvin in the 1st or 2nd ANYDAY

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Listen folks Childress has to explain why he took a pot head,so let him tell all the stories he needs to tell to keep his job! Meanwhile we just acquired another top tier Tight End,Welcome to New England Alex Smith we just stole you before The Vikings got a sniff that a trade was brewing!!!Quack,Quack,and Quack again!What a joke the Genius from the Vikings is....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE] So I am far less tolerant of choices that people make as individuals that affect others - pot use which leads to poor decision judgment which can lead to anything, texting while driving, etc... I don't care if people are stupid with themselves. I just don't like it when their disregard puts others in danger.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]
     You really can't be serious can you?  There have been actual studies with people driving while they are stoned and those same people driving drunk. I shouldn't have to tell you which one was more dangerous. Personally I drive safer when i'm high. I am less aggressive and less likey to get angered by other people's boneheaded moves. When the day comes around when it is legalized and people come out of the closet about using it, you are going to be very surprised at the list of people who do and what they do for a living.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Your "420" gave you away! The big knock they give on driving while stoned is delayed reaction. I don't see it myself, like you, I'm going a lot slower and not getting upset at some of the morons on the road. I can't speak for everyone, though. I think it's certainly safer than driving drunk. And I won't even answer my cell when I'm driving. If I need to make a call I'll pull over. Stoned or sober. As far as Harvin goes, maybe it was an immature mistake, maybe it is an attitude problem. Time will tell on that. In any case, he probably cost himself millions in doing so. I doubt BB was going to select him at 23. Childress is making excuses before he even knows if he failed or not!

Sections
Shortcuts