The Pats wanted Harvin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from juzme. Show juzme's posts

Re: The Pats wanted Harvin! - WRONG!!!

Do you believe everything you hear on the news of CBS? No f'n way. The Vikings leaked this as a selling point to their fans. By the way, CBS also said the Vikings have a strong locker room??? Maybe they need to go on another love boat excursion :)   LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: The Pats wanted Harvin!

[QUOTE] You really can't be serious can you?  There have been actual studies with people driving while they are stoned and those same people driving drunk. I shouldn't have to tell you which one was more dangerous. Personally I drive safer when i'm high. I am less aggressive and less likey to get angered by other people's boneheaded moves. When the day comes around when it is legalized and people come out of the closet about using it, you are going to be very surprised at the list of people who do and what they do for a living.     
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? You think you drive better when you are stoned? This right after you point to a study about comparing driving between alcohol-impaired drivers and pot-impaired ones.

Did you not realize the study was comparing two states of IMPAIRMENT while driving. It doesn't matter that some stoners drove better than some drunks. I guess you spray D-Con on your food because it is less poisonous than Raid. Good job on the critical thinking there.

Now let's pretend that your dream day comes and marijuana is actually legalized. Do you really think it will be legal to drive while high? Honestly. 

Driving impaired is driving impaired. The impairment doesn't matter. Yesterday, a guy driving a bus transporting handicapped people hit a car because he was texting. He lost his job and rightly so. Do you think they would have fired him if he was driving without texting? Probably not. Thankfully the company understood that this guy is in a position of responsibility and is making very irresponsible decisions. Get him gone before he actually kills someone.

I do wonder, when you eventually hit someone with your car, are you going to stand up and tell the police, your lawyer, the family of the people you injured or killed and the judge that you drive better than a drunk? Are you going to stand up and take responsibility for making a dumb decision? OR will you have your lawyer fight it and try to avoid responsibility? I thought so.

Lastly, you do realize that everyone, even me, knows what 420 is, don't you? It isn't an insider/I'm so tricky I smoke dope and no one knows tag anymore. Cops know about it to and, figure this one out, they look for people who mention it. Shocking, I know. You would think they were really dumb and you were just so super tricky smart. You must be thinking while impaired. 

They don't call it dope for nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

While we're on the weed vs. booze sidetrack, I will say that when I was a (very) heavy drinker I tended to be aggresive and quick to violence. The argument that one is better or worse than the other if one is going to be driving misses the point entirely, but I will say that the only thing that was ever in danger when I was high on weed was a bag of Doritos.  
                                                           Cool

Do sober people even eat those things?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Comparing Harvin to Moss because they both dropped is idiotic. With the Vikings Moss put up, arguably, the best rookie wide receiver numbers....EVER and his offense set the record for most points (until recently heheh). The weed thing is not the issue. I'd be more concerned about coachability than weed. Harvin could be a decent slot guy (read not better than Welker) or 3rd down back (not better than Faulk) so the point is moot. In two years Tate will be a better reciever than Harvin. The Pats needed defense and the took defense. End of story. Childress has no track record on putting anything over on anyone; aside from drafting Peterson. And he was the first RB taken in 07 draft...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Enroch, I work for a big compony and work with the New York Stalk market, i am in charge of moving millions upon millions of dallars from one bank to another and i was never drug tested before being hired. From my experience there are deffently jobs out there for people who like to smoke weed. In fact i have a friend who was a temp at this place and they didnt drug test when he came on as atemp so he continued to smoke weed in his off time and then they changed their policy and started drug testing right as he was about to go perminite. He simply told his boss he needs two or 3 weeks before he could take a drug test because he had smoked some weed and they were 100% ok with it. No one cares about weed, if you get cought smoking a joint or something outside at the beach all they can do is take teh joint and write you a ticket i mean seriously who cares. The only real issue is because the dumb NFL front office considers weed in the same cadigory as coke or crak or whatever anyone who pops up at teh combine for weed automaticly has to eneter the NFL drug program so thats the only down side. weed is harmless and they should even test for it anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

"I work for a big compony and work with the New York Stalk market, i am in charge of moving millions upon millions of dallars from one bank to another"

Ooohhh, look at the big shot banker, come to show all us peons his superior excel and networking skills.  Don't you have a government bailout check you should be cashing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If you think I ama  big shot banker you are dead wrong lol I have a high school deploma and never went to college. I am a middle man, i said i work WITH the new york stalk market I didnt say i work for them or was one of them or anything like that. they place trades into big comonys like Morgan Stanly and I get the trade via fax and enter it into a system and at the end of teh day i run a report which calulates all the money going otu and coming in and then i report that figure to another group at another office and so on and so forth. I dont even clear 30 grand a year lol I have to coach high school football just for the extra cash not that i dont love coaching but still if they didnt pay me i wouldnt do it. I am flatered that you would think i was some hot shot banker lol but far from it my friend i am just a lowly peon like youself lol And

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

And either way you missed the point, the point is there are big companys out there that do not drug test which goes against what Enroch was saying so thats all i was saying is i didnt get drug tested where i work and i know other people who have good jobs with tons of responsibility that didnt get drug tested. Because people dont care about smoking pot anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Okay, sorry about that Taz.  It's just that I hate bankers ...

But yes, there's nothing wrong with a little pot here and there.  Some of my coworkers seriously need to chill.  Is there any way they could absorb it if I slipped it in their beverage?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]And either way you missed the point, the point is there are big companys out there that do not drug test which goes against what Enroch was saying so thats all i was saying is i didnt get drug tested where i work and i know other people who have good jobs with tons of responsibility that didnt get drug tested. Because people dont care about smoking pot anymore.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

MVP,

No offense, but any company worth something tests for drug use. I am not sure what you do - I know you coach in your spare time and I appreciate your opinion on these boards WRT football, but the fact that you can't spell "stock" when you work in the stock market raises my eyebrows a wee bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]they must has seen something in harvin to draft him even with his positive marijuana test. they still drafted a guy that tested positive for marijuana during the combine in Tate. Ill take Tate in the 3rd over harvin in the 1st or 2nd ANYDAY
    Posted by BradyHasMoreRings[/QUOTE]

While I don't have Tate's contract in front of me, there is no question that their is a big difference between pay grades for a 1st rd pick vs. a 3rd.  I think the Pats took a chance on tate with his injuries and marijuana use for a potential bargain in the 3rd.  No risk maximum reward for the Pats if it pans out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]there's nothign wrong with smoking marijuana, i know plenty of co-workers who do and they do their jobs just fine, why should athletes be any different?
    Posted by scauma82[/QUOTE]

A poor College athlete is about to enter the NFL draft and make millions.  All he has to do is lay of the weed for awhile until after the combine.  If Percy Harvin doesn't have the discipline to stay off the Marijuana for a multi-million dollar contract, what's he going to do when he starts making the millions?  I also don't care about marijuana use, but the NFL does and will hand out suspensions with ease if those rules are not followed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]This is a load of c r a p (they won't let you post that word, strange, isn't it?) propigated by Childress. Regardless of the failed test, they weren't going to select a WR at 23, anyway. I'm sure this rumor in no way came from any source in Foxboro (unless fat-boy Tomase is spreading more lies). Childress just wants to make an excuse for reaching for a player who was likely to slip quite a bit. And the combine test aside, this kid has a history of injuries. He may have been an explosive player in Gainsville, but so was another guy...Chad Jackson! I would bet money BB had no intention of taking this guy, especially at 23.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub, I'm only going by what's being reported.  None of us no what's going on in the Pats F.O.  The media is the only outlet we fans have to gather information, whether we agree with it or not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I'm waiting for the "Pot is good for you" post.
    Really, how can anything (alcohol or drugs) that impairs you (judgment or reflexes) be anything but bad?  I had a glass of wine on an empty stomach when I was 18 and thought I was going to fall over.  Didn't like the feeling of losing control at all (although I've been told that's what most people like about it!).  I can't believe a football player that stoned can take in as much as a sober football player when being coached or watching film or performing on the field.  I can't believe any coach would want a stoner over a sober player either.
    For me - clarity and clean livin' don't have an equal.  Problems don't fix themselves by going to the moon.
    <steps down from the soapbox />

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Wake up.  90% of the people around you are doing it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]347, Wake up.  90% of the people around you are doing it.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

That is a common misperception. People think that because they do something and most people they know do that same thing then, by extension, most people do it. Call it the "Birds of a Feather" Fallacy.

I don't hang out with anyone who smokes, tobacco or pot, yet I understand that people smoke both. 90% of the world isn't married couples with children though if you went through my address book, you might be tempted to think so.

90% of the US population does not smoke pot. In fact, most studies I have read indicate that daily/multiple times a week usage hovers at around 3%. I might be tempted to agree that 50 to 75 % of the population has tried it in their lifetime, but certainly 90% are not current users.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I can't believe a football player that stoned can take in as much as a sober football player when being coached or watching film or performing on the field.         

Just because the guy failed a test doesn't mean he is going to be stoned in meetings, practice, or on game day. It's not like heroin or crack, where you get "hooked" and need to do it constantly. Failing the test only means he had smoked sometime in the previous month. I actually failed a test once back in the 90s, and I hadn't done anything in over 30 days! Certainly if he came to practice or meetings stoned he would be dismissed. But if a player burned one on Monday or Tuesday (possibly to ease the pain of the prior Sunday's hits), it would not affect him like you're implying. But he would still fail a test taken a month later. The fact that he knew he was going to be tested is another issue. I agree that with millions of dollars at stake he should have simply refrained from using. Were I in a similar situation, I'd quit anything (short of breathing or eating) for six months prior to guarantee I didn't s c r e w it up. We could argue all day about whether or not weed is harmful. I suppose anything is if you don't use it responsibly. Yet products like tobacco and alcohol are just as harmful (if not moreso), yet they are legal. The big difference is the government can get their cut by taxing these things, while if I sold you a $20 bag they wouldn't get their $1.40 (7% tax here). Plus a lot of the cash flow goes through the same guys who profit from illegal prostitution and gambling (not to mention garbage removal)! But as long as it's prohibited in the NFL these guys should take it seriously. Now we don't know if Harvin is a "regular" user (every day or several times a week), or just a social smoker. If it's a regular thing he'll have to choose if he wants to play football or if he wants to get stoned all the time. Whatever the deal was, it was a foolish move. But much less troubling (at least to me) than guys like Plax and Pacman who go around toting guns, or (fill in just about any Bengals player here) who likes to beat on women!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]Are you serious? You think you drive better when you are stoned?...... 
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]
    I can't believe you can make such statements about me or my character when you don't even know me. So I will give you a quick rundown of my life. I was an A/B student until i hit the wall with Trig and Precal in junior year. I spent five years of my life serving our country in the Marines performing my duties as an Aircraft Stuctural Mechanic. I was very good at it, in fact good enough to inspect my Marines work and certify their work as being safe for flight. Upon leaving the Marines I have excelled at every job i've worked. In fact my Plant Op Manager told me i was his best guy on the floor during a bi-annual performance review, which i always get very high scores on.
          My whole point is don't put every person who smokes pot into one category, some of the smartest and most responsible people i have known in my 35 years of existence on this planet have smoked pot. So don't insult me or them with these blanket statements and assumptions about our characters.
         BTW Harvin made dumb decision and should have thought his actions through beforehand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]347, Wake up.  90% of the people around you are doing it.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Well, even if that is true, that does not make it right.  If I can justify my behavior by what other are doing, then this world is in a heap of trouble.  I'm not condemning anyone who drinks or smokes.  I'm just saying that we, as caretakers of our bodies, should do a better job.  Me included.  People who are paid huge amounts of money to play a sport which depends largely on their health condition, put their job on the line when engaging in that type of behavior. 

It is interesting that most medical sites identify alcohol as a drug.  And since alcohol is legal, the government basically sanctions drug abuse.  I spent 24 years in the AF and saw a lot of hipocrisy - ala don't abuse drugs, but you can go to the government provided Officer's or NCO Clubs and get drunk.  If you were then found to be DUI, the book was thrown at you.  Same thing with the NFL - Beer commercials at every break, but the players can't be in them (or something like that). 

I understand, Mighty, that many people are doing it, but I just don't see the need.  How would life change if everyone just stopped.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]Are you serious? You think you drive better when you are stoned?...... 
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I can't believe you can make such statements about me or my character...

PA
    I don't think Enoch was attacking your character, but rather your ability to drive while stoned.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]im glad cbs knows what the pats will,or wont do.just as the vikes knew.and the pats are not gonna tell harvin what they are gonna do.they may tell him they are intreasted,and if he fell to 23 they may consider it.but its obvious the pats were not desperate to have him for they had the draft picks to move up to get him.percy is gonna be the next bethal johnson.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] boy i bet the vikes are so glad they took this guy away from the pats.LoL!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/harvin-hospitalized-with-extreme-dehydration/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]PA I don't think Enoch was attacking your character, but rather your ability to drive while stoned.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

Nah i shortened his post in my reply, it was fairly long with attacks on my character and intelligence. Anyhow thanks for your extended service to our country, i know exactly what you mean about the hypocricies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe you can make such statements about me or my character when you don't even know me. So I will give you a quick rundown of my life. I was an A/B student until i hit the wall with Trig and Precal in junior year. I spent five years of my life serving our country in the Marines performing my duties as an Aircraft Stuctural Mechanic. I was very good at it, in fact good enough to inspect my Marines work and certify their work as being safe for flight. Upon leaving the Marines I have excelled at every job i've worked. In fact my Plant Op Manager told me i was his best guy on the floor during a bi-annual performance review, which i always get very high scores on.       My whole point is don't put every person who smokes pot into one category, some of the smartest and most responsible people i have known in my 35 years of existence on this planet have smoked pot. So don't insult me or them with these blanket statements and assumptions about our characters.      BTW Harvin made dumb decision and should have thought his actions through beforehand.

More proof that smoking pot makes one paranoid and that it lessens the ability to process information.

I am not sure that I lumped all pot smokers into the same category. If that is how you wish to read it to deflect any responsibility for your own choices, so be it. 

You might recall (Maybe not in your case as THC impairs hippocampus functions. The hippocampus is responsible for learning, memory and sensory integration.) that you are the one who stated that you think you drive better when stoned. 
    My response to that, which still seems to evade you, is that when you are driving impaired, you are endangering others. Get it? This might have gotten lost in your "free to be me" speech.

If you were to mistime a turn while stoned and run into a tree and kill yourself, I might read your story in the paper and think, "No great loss." but when you mistime your turn and sideswipe a mini-van with a family of six inside and kill 4 of them, then you deserve to put out of everyone's misery. I couldn't give a crud how well your floor work is. As you should understand, it really doesn't matter.

You seem to want to focus on how your bad choices only affect you. They don't. Grow up. 

If the point still hasn't gotten across your encumbered brain, please, oh, please find an article in the paper about someone who was killed by an impaired driver - any impairment will do - alcohol, drugs, texting, cellphone, etc... Then, go to the surviving members of their family and tell them that you are sorry for their loss but that you think it is OK to drive while stoned and point to your crayon-drawn chart about how you drive better. I have a feeling your desire to stand up for own personal choices despite how they affect others will wilt in the face of reality. 

Finally, why is it OK for you to smoke pot, but not OK for Harvin? Should he only smoke pot when he drives? What is your beef with that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Nah i shortened his post in my reply, it was fairly long with attacks on my character and intelligence. Anyhow thanks for your extended service to our country, i know exactly what you mean about the hypocricies.

You certainly do. You defend your ability to drive while stoned yet actually write that Harvin should have thought through his choice beforehand. Viva hypocrisy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Well, even if that is true, that does not make it right.  If I can justify my behavior by what other are doing, then this world is in a heap of trouble.  I'm not condemning anyone who drinks or smokes.  I'm just saying that we, as caretakers of our bodies, should do a better job.  Me included.  People who are paid huge amounts of money to play a sport which depends largely on their health condition, put their job on the line when engaging in that type of behavior.  It is interesting that most medical sites identify alcohol as a drug.  And since alcohol is legal, the government basically sanctions drug abuse.  I spent 24 years in the AF and saw a lot of hipocrisy - ala don't abuse drugs, but you can go to the government provided Officer's or NCO Clubs and get drunk.  If you were then found to be DUI, the book was thrown at you.  Same thing with the NFL - Beer commercials at every break, but the players can't be in them (or something like that).  I understand, Mighty, that many people are doing it, but I just don't see the need.  How would life change if everyone just stopped.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

There is a huge difference between abuse and responsible use. No one says don't go out drinking in the military. They say don't drive drunk and that the military has zero tolerance for illegal drug use. They also encourage everyone to be responsible and accountable for their actions. I don't see much hypocrisy in those statements.

Now when an officer gets a slap on the wrist for the same offense that gets an enlisted man booted, then there's hypocrisy.