The problem in a nutshell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The problem in a nutshell

A good defense can slow our offense.

Even a bad offense can beat our pass defense.

We do have a great run defense, though. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: The problem in a nutshell

except against baltimore in the clutch...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckels' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Problem in a nutshell is Brady throwing 40+ times, squandering points, field position, etc and using Woodhead as a lead back in games aginst good Ds.

How many more of these examples do you think you need before you take off those pink Brady panties?

You're embarrassing.

Show me any NFL QB that goes on the road like this, toss 2 INTs, misses a myriad of other throws, some should be INTs, and then wins the game?

It's a 4 qtr game, not just 1 qtr or some nice plays here and there that win  games in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

Woodhead actually averaged 4.2 YPC more than Ridley, and had a much better day than him from start to finish. Furthermore, the passing game was much more effective, while the running attack was only able to manage 3.3 YPC. Running the ball wasn't working all that often, so New England threw the ball more, which was much more effective for the majority of the game.

The problem is that this team, both offensively and defensively, is not able to make key plays when the game is on the line. 

The fact that the offense left 3-6 points on the field didn't help either.

Will this team still make the playoffs? Sure. Will this team still win the AFC East? Yes. 

But until this problem of not being able to finish games is solved, I won't raise my expectations above anything more than a playoff loss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

except against baltimore in the clutch...

[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, I had forgotten that one.  I still think they can stop the run, though, as long as they don't try to make up for their bad secondary by going nickel or having their LBs mostly drop back into coverage. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Problem in a nutshell is Brady throwing 40+ times, squandering points, field position, etc and using Woodhead as a lead back in games aginst good Ds.

How many more of these examples do you think you need before you take off those pink Brady panties?

You're embarrassing.

Show me any NFL QB that goes on the road like this, toss 2 INTs, misses a myriad of other throws, some should be INTs, and then wins the game?

It's a 4 qtr game, not just 1 qtr or some nice plays here and there that win  games in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

I may or may not be embarrassing but you know absolutely nothing about football. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The Patriots just are not as good as I thought they were. From the head coach all the way down to the last man they just are better than average. 3 and 3 , as Parcells used to say , you are what you are.

The toughest part of this loss was that the coaching gave this game away.Sorrh for being so negative but this one hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]

That's because they ran him out of passing formations. That's nothing new. Saying 4.4 YPC as proof of his effectiveness as a lead RB and the ability to run out the clock, etc.

If you run the ball more and establish it in the first half, we win the game.

Period.

[/QUOTE]

Woodhead only carried the ball 4 times -- clearly he wasn't being used as a lead-back. 

You can argue that had we attempted to run more we would have won, however it's a FACT that had the offense been able to get a first down late in the game, or had the defense been able to get a stop, they would have won the game.

While the offense is largely to blame for loss today -- in large part due to their lack of execution down the stretch and the fact that they left 6 points on the field, it would be ridiculous to not put some of the blame on defense, specifically the secondary. They were exposed time after time, as Wilson simply chucked it deep and prayed. It's a good strategy, as it appears that the ball will either be caught, or our DBs will commit DPI. 

This secondary is really bad. I like Tavon Wilson and I like McCourty, but Chung, Arrington, and Moore are big time liabilities. They're completely unaware when the ball is in the air, and are simply not talented enough to be playing in the NFL.

I like our front-7, but this secondary is a big time problem.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

You're embarrassing.

[/QUOTE]

Nonsense.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

That's because they ran him out of passing formations. That's nothing new. Saying 4.4 YPC as proof of his effectiveness as a lead RB and the ability to run out the clock, etc.

If you run the ball more and establish it in the first half, we win the game.

Period.

Why on earth a small pocket of Pats fans can see this problem and BB can't, I have no idea.  This is why I think Brady has too much autonomy. Maybe he doesn't, but why does this continue to happen?

What is the common denominator? It's not Bill O'Brien here anymore. #12 is here and so is BB.

Who is it?

[/QUOTE]

I think we are at the point now where no one thinks about what you write in a credible light. You have to be insane if you don't see that this defense stinks.

Now I'm bent out of shape about today and I'm not thinking rationally - I almost blame Belichick for today's loss as much as I blame the defense (and I never do that), but as irrational as I am I can clearly see this defense is a joke. A total joke. Embarrassing. Get beat by a fruad of a QB..no receivers..no tight end to speak of. All they had to do was throw the ball right up into the air (like little kids) and our secondary was getting smoked. It wasn't the ref's fault either - we got away with plenty of bumps and grabs...it was OUR fault.

Yeah, Brady stunk today. He stunk!! But we lose by 30 if he wasn't there as well. Believe me he stunk...bad passing...bad decisions...bad management...but nothing compared to this ground hog day of a defense. Nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Brady is still exceptional. But yes Babe, Tom Bady is one of the pieces on this team that is part of the problem. Now I will be the first to say they will win nothing without him. He is their best and most valuable player. But he has been choking at big moments and stretches in WAY too many games including the SB and including the three loses so far this year.

If this team is going anywhere there are a lot of people that need to find character. They could certainly carry Tom Brady during his stretches of choke play if they did. But Brady is currently part of the problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Josh running the prevent offence in the 4th Qtr doesn't help either.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What have any of BB's whiz kids done once removed from a team led by Brady?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bodacious. Show bodacious's posts

I was a TB ballwasher forn 12 years, but i have to admit, he's winding down.. He's not finished, he doesn't suck. but he is no longer elite, Russel Wilson can throw the longball, Brady can't... That pass to Branch   (int) was 5 yars underthrown, he threw 5 passes on a hop.... When we need him he falters  Baltimore game, Giants in the SB, today... Brady has Lloyd, Welker, Hernendez, & Gronk.. He may have the best 4 recievers in history!!!!!! TE's are great!1 WR are Great,, Brady is better than Dalton, Weedon, Bradford, Sanchez  and a few more. Brees. Rogers, both Mannings ,

Ryan, Flacco are better,,,,

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots just are not as good as I thought they were. From the head coach all the way down to the last man they just are better than average. 3 and 3 , as Parcells used to say , you are what you are.

The toughest part of this loss was that the coaching gave this game away.Sorrh for being so negative but this one hurt.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you.  I have been saying the same since the beginning of the season.  Unless they can improve drastically, they may not even make the playoffs.  It is a sad reality as a Patriots fan, but they have to play better in all areas, offense and defense.  They have to improve their play in the 4th quarter of games. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to bodacious' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was a TB ballwasher forn 12 years, but i have to admit, he's winding down.. He's not finished, he doesn't suck. but he is no longer elite, Russel Wilson can throw the longball, Brady can't... That pass to Branch   (int) was 5 yars underthrown, he threw 5 passes on a hop.... When we need him he falters  Baltimore game, Giants in the SB, today... Brady has Lloyd, Welker, Hernendez, & Gronk.. He may have the best 4 recievers in history!!!!!! TE's are great!1 WR are Great,, Brady is better than Dalton, Weedon, Bradford, Sanchez  and a few more. Brees. Rogers, both Mannings ,

Ryan, Flacco are better,,,,

[/QUOTE]

He had a bad game but he is still on pace  for 26 TD's and  8 int's. After every bad game do you bash the Pats best player? Overreact a little you think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

So I'm reviewing the Pats coaching credentials and I find this under Josh Boyer, our secondary coach ...

2005: Defensive Coordinator at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (nickname Hardrockers).

I thought this was a joke until I did further research.  Never heard of such a school.  Could this be part of the problem with the technique being taught?  At SDSMT they probably use helmets with lights on the front.  It's gotta be a big change to switch to stadium lighting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What have any of BB's whiz kids done once removed from a team led by Brady?

[/QUOTE]

What has a Brady lead tema done this year? Or in the last two SBs? Or in the playoff game v the Jets a couple of years ago? Or the one against the Ravens.... I am NOT saying he is not still exceptional. Just that he has been part of the CHOKE mentality this team has come to own.

They will go nowhere without Brady. But it would be nice to have a QB again who didn't throw away so many chances to put games away.