The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT

The initial shock of the pick is over with. I certainly don't know anything about the guy, he could be the next Rodney Harrison for all I know. Its best to wait and see what he does on the field. I don't trust the kipers and maylocks as much as our staff. 

The initial reaction here was because most everyone was looking for someone else, and when a guy that nobody has every heard of, who is poorly rated gets picked in the 2nd round it reminds people of the wheatly, butler. wilhite type picks. My only problem with it was that it looked like they could have waited much longer to get the guy and used that pick elsewhere. Again, I have no clue about the guy, he could be great, and maybe if the Patriots didn't pick him the next team up would have. I doubt it but they may have. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT:
    [QUOTE]^Yeah the safety position is important to BB's defense(lot of the reason our secondary suffered last year) I like getting a kid that was a 3 year starter who played in every game in a tough program. Smart kid with good speed and good shuttle times.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

He seems to be around the ball a lot too . . . and he's not afraid to hit.  Add that to intelligence and I'm starting to like this pick.  One difference between Wilson and other gambles that BB has taken is this guy is not a small school guy or a guy who's been hurt.  He's a guy who has been a solid, reliable guy for a big-time program and a recognized leader on his team.  Maybe he's not flashy, but his coaches seem to want him on the field an awful lot in a very competitive conference. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpNDMvijrfI&feature=related

Wilson is #3. This is a good video, we get to see him move on the field. The 4:20-4:30 marks were good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT : Ummm...so what they've been doing for the last dozen years doesn't work? ...
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

it has worked, but does not mean it will always.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Wilson could be a scheme fit
    or a ST's fit?

He was Saftey and played CB

But how well at CB? and he is only 5'11"

In terms of the Draft Game - everyone is saying
    he could have gotten him later and maybe
    have another pick -

But in terms of what BB sees he needs for his team
    and how many slots of low round draft picks that aren't
    going to make the team anyway - who knows

I had said I would have been fine with trading
    either 2nd rounder for next year

Also remember the Giants won the SB with average
    to below average DB's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE...
    Posted by seawolfxs[/QUOTE]

...He was Saftey and played CB But how well at CB? and he is only 5'11"

not many CBs are as tall or taller

... Also remember the Giants won the SB with average to below average DB's

very good reminder to all of us

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT : He seems to be around the ball a lot too . . . and he's not afraid to hit.  Add that to intelligence and I'm starting to like this pick.  One difference between Wilson and other gambles that BB has taken is this guy is not a small school guy or a guy who's been hurt.  He's a guy who has been a solid, reliable guy for a big-time program and a recognized leader on his team.  Maybe he's not flashy, but his coaches seem to want him on the field an awful lot in a very competitive conference. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Good points.

Also, sometimes people are excellent in college, and can't translate into the pros. Also, sometimes people are only solid in college, but manage to be eequally solid at the next level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpNDMvijrfI&feature=related Wilson is #3. This is a good video, we get to see him move on the field. The 4:20-4:30 marks were good.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

This video scares me. He doesn't have good horizantal speed, WR's easily got separation a number of times, looked lost in coverage and doesn't look back at the ball, 4:20 was a hard hit but other hen that and his PI he has trouble wrapping up. Not a very impressive game honestly. I hope there is some better film because it looks like he can't cover at all which for a supposed FS drafted in the mid 2nd that's scary

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

another vid showing his ability to cover in addition to being washed out against teh run  >.<

I'd love to sit with BB and hear his actually though process for this kid and what film he saw

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

[QUOTE]See that just makes too much sense.  Conspiracy theorists won't be satisfied.  Each of those 7 teams that brought him in for visits did so for the sole purpose of fooling the Pats.  They had no interest in him.  They don't care if they waste time with things like this.  They only care if they can hurt the Pats.  Their own success is immaterial.  They don't care about the other 30 teams in the NFL either.  The only thing that matters is hurting the Pats.  They probably worked on this scheme for weeks leading up to the draft.  They had to make sure that the story of their "interest" would get leaked back to the Pats.  And all 7 teams had to work together on this ruse.  What a beautiful plan. Executed to perfection.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

[QUOTE]See that just makes too much sense.  Conspiracy theorists won't be satisfied.  Each of those 7 teams that brought him in for visits did so for the sole purpose of fooling the Pats.  They had no interest in him.  They don't care if they waste time with things like this.  They only care if they can hurt the Pats.  Their own success is immaterial.  They don't care about the other 30 teams in the NFL either.  The only thing that matters is hurting the Pats.  They probably worked on this scheme for weeks leading up to the draft.  They had to make sure that the story of their "interest" would get leaked back to the Pats.  And all 7 teams had to work together on this ruse.  What a beautiful plan. Executed to perfection.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

So...the Pats were fooled, and that's the reason they jumped the gun to take Wilson.

Gee, thanks. That makes me feel sooo much better.

You guys are actually buying this BS?? If it's true that other teams succeeded in fooling the Pats, than the problem with the Pats' scouting department and decision makers is worse than I thought. Taking Wilson at #48 was a reach monumental proportions.

Notice that the Steelers couldn't necessaryu fill all their draft day problems. But, they attacked their main problem...OL...early and often, and came away with OG David DeCastro and OT Mike Adams, in rounds 1 and 2, respectively. It is seldom the case that a team can adequately address and fill every problem that they have.  

The Pats did a good job of recognizing that their #1 problem was putting pressure on the opposing QB. They did a good job in day one attacking that problem. But, in day too, rather than taking the best players available at positions of need (RB, OL, DL, WR), they chose to focus on their second most pressing problem, at safety. In so doing, they passed up better players to reach for a lesser prospect. 

Desperate money never wins. The time for reaching is in round 4, and onward. Not with the 48th overall pick.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT:
    [QUOTE]CREDIT TO NYPat, HE FISHED THIS OUT! http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick "But others might look closer and learn that Wilson had seven teams that brought him in for visits (Buccaneers, Texans, Cardinals, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, Chargers), while Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio and director of college scouting Jon Robinson -- along with another club -- worked him out privately. So while draft analysts might have missed the mark on Wilson, it's not like other teams in the league were sleeping on him and the positive traits that made him a desirable prospect. In recent weeks Wilson was a "travel guy" in scouting circles, the player who has a high volume of visits as clubs attempt to gather more information on him before setting their draft board." and then... "In part because Wilson wasn't at the combine or all-star games, it helped shape the perception that he isn't an elite prospect. It also explained how Wilson could slip under the radar of prominent draft analysts in the media such as Mike Mayock, Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. On Friday, the pick had some of those analysts scrambling for more information on live television. All of this registered as news Friday night to the laser-focused Belichick, who looks at the draft through a different prism than most. He doesn't make picks based on perception. Instead, he relies on a thorough scouting process over 365 days a year rather than what feeds the majority of the knee-jerk reaction crowd -- a 365-page scouting book that details each prospect ."   31 Teams get that book. Need to guess the ONE that doesn't! Your honor, I rest my case.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

No one is denying there was interest. You might also consider that the interest might have been in the 4th or 5th rounds, though, which is the real issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, 7 teams brought him in for a look, does that say where they had him valued? I must have missed that part of the article. BB also brought in kids that went as UDFA's in years past along with many other teams. A player working out for teams is in no way indicative of a players value. BTW most teams have scouts working yea round looking at prospects. That's why they have huge scouting teams and don't rely on a book put out by the NFL I don't think most people question Wilson because we need a S I think they are questioning where he was picked. If for instance Wilson was picked in the 5th I don't think most people would care and might even consider him a sleeper prospect. Lets face it when it comes to BB and DB's taken in the 2nd round he hasn't been very good. Chung being the only hit so far (not including Ras because it's to soon to tell what he'll become). See a S that many considered a late day 3 pick taken in the mid 2nd by a team known for bad DB picks in the 2nd isn't a great sign. So unless you can find a single article suggesting that this kid could be an effective starter then the opinion will be, did we need to take him that early? 
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

ditto

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT : Ummm...so what they've been doing for the last dozen years doesn't work? We are pretty much the most successful team in the NFL this past decade, and people question how the draft their player? Really? Perhaps we should take lessons from the power house teams like the Lions or Browns? I'm okay with how they make their choices....
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

BB has whiffed on 13 of 19 of his round 1-3 picks, from 2006-10. But, he's continued to win because he's the greatest coach of all-time, and has perhaps the greatest QB of all-time running his offense.

His poor choices on draft day are the reason why the Pats haven't won another SB since 2004.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]another vid showing his ability to cover in addition to being washed out against teh run   />.< I'd love to sit with BB and hear his actually though process for this kid and what film he saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hN0U5rjjo&feature=relmfu
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Actually, the videos make it look like he will fit in quite nice with the collection of safties we currently have...y'know the ones that let everybody catch everything.

There is NOTHING in those films to justify a mid-2nd round pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Justifiable to who?  Pats went by their draft board not some bunch of draft dundits.  Because the pick didn't line up with WalterFootball, Mayock or whom ever doesn't make this the wrong pick. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT :      BB has whiffed on 13 of 19 of his round 1-3 picks, from 2006-10. But, he's continued to win because he's the greatest coach of all-time, and has perhaps the greatest QB of all-time running his offense.      His poor choices on draft day are the reason why the Pats haven't won another SB since 2004.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

No the reason we have not won a SB since 04 is because our high powered offense has only scored 15.5 ppg in the 2 SB appearances since 04. Down about 20 points from there average. This has little to do with the drafting process as in 07 we only made 1 pick before round 4 and it was a starting pro bowl safety, we traded the 2 picks for 2 of the best receivers in NFL history, yet it panned out to onky 14 points in the SB.

Then the past 2 seasons we have focused on offense and landed a starting LT, the best TE in football, another top 5 TE, and 2 young Rb's. We then went to another SB with the help of these additions that BB drafted. If anything our coaching has failed us more then the building of the team as a Tom Brady lead offense could again only score 17 points.

To suggest that BB the Gm is failing only to be carried by BB the coach is a ludicrous notion. We are 123-37 the past 10 seasons. You don't win on coaching alone, you need to "build a team" something Bill Belichick is as good as anyone at doing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT :      BB has whiffed on 13 of 19 of his round 1-3 picks, from 2006-10. But, he's continued to win because he's the greatest coach of all-time, and has perhaps the greatest QB of all-time running his offense.      His poor choices on draft day are the reason why the Pats haven't won another SB since 2004.

It's one reason why I don't look at this second round pick and say, "in Bill I trust". The truth is we had two second round picks (I high commodity in some people's minds) and we came away with a guy that probably wouldn't of been drafted, 2 seventh round picks and a sixth. So basically in a "value" snap shot - we used two second round picks on 4 undrafted free agents (considering most teams look at the last two rounds as ways to secure players that otherwise will be priority free agents).

It's ok to question these moves - I guarantee Bill won't be reading them or be insulted if he did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Justifiable to who?  Pats went by their draft board not some bunch of draft dundits.  Because the pick didn't line up with WalterFootball, Mayock or whom ever doesn't make this the wrong pick. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Again...it's about getting value for the picks. I don't have a problem with the Pats drafting Wilson. I have a problem with them using the 48th overall selection to do so. If they traded down from #48 as they should, they likely could have taken another higher rated prospect, and gotten Wilson with a later pick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]This video may explain the pick . . . since Harrison left, we've lacked a real leader in the secondary who can make sure everyone is doing the right thing.  Given the Pats' complex schemes good communication in the backfield is essential.  Is Wilson the leader the Pats have lacked since Harrison left?  Who knows .  .  .  he may be another bust . . . but he does seem to be a hard hitter and, more importantly, a player coaches rely on to lead other players on the field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdbcrsmTNCo I also think BB will be using a lot of 5 or 6 DB packages next year and if Wilson can combine decent coverage skills with good tackling in run support he may turn out to be a valuable player on this team.  I have a funny feeling this kid is going to be a fan favorite sometime not too long in the future. From the little I've seen, I like his attitude and I think he plays smart and hard.  That's something that would really help our secondary. 

Nice video. Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler had nice videos, too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT : He seems to be around the ball a lot too . . . and he's not afraid to hit.  Add that to intelligence and I'm starting to like this pick.  One difference between Wilson and other gambles that BB has taken is this guy is not a small school guy or a guy who's been hurt.  He's a guy who has been a solid, reliable guy for a big-time program and a recognized leader on his team.  Maybe he's not flashy, but his coaches seem to want him on the field an awful lot in a very competitive conference. 

It's hard not to be around the ball when you play safety. This guy wasn't even second team all-conference in the Big 10. Yet, BB picks him at #48 overall, and we're supposed to applaud?? Pleeeassseeee!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT :      It's hard not to be around the ball when you play safety. This guy wasn't even second team all-conference in the Big 10. Yet, BB picks him at #48 overall, and we're supposed to applaud?? Pleeeassseeee!!

Hey Tex, when you did your full scale diagnostic of Tevon Wilsons playing ability what exactly did you see to have such a low opinion of this guy. Or do you just go by what you read on the internet like most other fans on this forum? You sound like somebody stole your milk money fella.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The proof of interest in Wilson, and reason to CHILL OUT :      It's hard not to be around the ball when you play safety. This guy wasn't even second team all-conference in the Big 10. Yet, BB picks him at #48 overall, and we're supposed to applaud?? Pleeeassseeee!!

Hey Tex, just trying to explain why BB might have liked the guy. I think BB must have had an inkling that other teams were interested and must have liked him a lot.  BB has made mistakes with DBs before, so I'm not convinced this won't be a bust pick . . . but I also think BB is a sensible man and so he must have had some reason for picking the guy.  My guess is he likes his leadership quality.