The Real Way to Rebuild your Defense on the Fly!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

The Real Way to Rebuild your Defense on the Fly!

By Pete Carrol

I know he is not a favorite around here but outside of his Rah Rah coaching style I have to give credit where it is due. First of all Id like to mention that it was Petey who started playing Bruschi at linebacker where we have grown accustomed to seeing him play. he started as a De and give credit to him for that. Also he gets to take the blame for not getting anything out of Willie Mac(too many groin inuries from screwing and no conditioning) and Terry Glenn, Drew,etc for letting them go to Saugus and get drunk and watch Terry piss on people on watch Drew dive into mosh pits BUT, dont say he cant Rebuild a defense.

1st you have to give him props soley for taking a 7-9 team to the playoff in 2010 and almost winning 2 games. The 1st win vs the Packers was very impressive and that defense was led my laywer Milloy on his last leg 7 years removed from being deemed expendable by B.B.

So after 2010 when Milloy retired. Carrol had to keep his defense intact because his QB play was very bad. He went out and got journeyman B.Browner who started every game in 2011 after coming here from the Canadian league. He drafted 5th round pick Richard Sherman who looks better than any CB on our roster and made our poor Tommy look like Jay Cutler. He drafted Earl Thomas in the 1st round of the 2010 draft - # 14. He also drafted Kam Chancellor that year in 2010 in the 5th round. So he basically transformed an old defense into a young group that is tops in the league in a matter of 2 YEARS!!!  2 YEARS!!!  And we arent talking about middle of the pack, we are talking possible the best secondary in the league and I will just say how do some people say this guy is in idiot and inferior to B.B. the greatest coach ever but maybe not the best G.M.

In light of this combined with Rusty saying Petey has a big ego, is not a leader and is not a winner I ask. How is it that he managed to rebuild an old team into the best secondary in 2 years and really just 1 if you take out Thomas. He got Chancellor, Browner and Sherman ALL last year in 2011 and that what I call progress and quick results and making the most of the draft picks, so Please explain to me again WHY B.B. is the best G.M???  You gotta do better than telling me about his trades. Our secondary has blown since 2008 with guys like Deltha Oneal so tell me why we are 5 years in with the worst secondary???

Rusty told me B.B. rebuilt on the fly in 2009. When is it gonna be done Rusty???

Truth HURTS!!! Petey Boy is a better G.M. and possible a better defensive coach than B.B. Only if Carrol could have stayed and picked Brady! oh imagine how many lombardi's....smh

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: The Real Way to Rebuild your Defense on the Fly!

I'll say this - the whole building on the fly, rebuilding, best gm ever, thing is/has and will be over blown. Gm's are a cyclical thing..the draft is a crap shoot. To me Carroll has gotten lucky and although I won't go so far to say all our secondary busts are just a mtter of bad luck - I will say some bad luck has played into it as well. That's the draft in a nut shell.

I am confused and surprised our defense is taking this long to be "rebuilt" as some would say, but that's football. Luckily for us we have the best coach and quarterback to make up for our mistakes. People got on Brian Billick for being an offensive wizard, but yet building and fielding a horrible offense. It happens sometimes. I DO believe that if Belichick got his hands on talented players on defense that he'd have them ranked number one in the NFL. Really I think this value approach to just about everything has left us with a lot of quantity, but low quality. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

All teams have weaknesses and the Patriots weakness is their pass defense. It didn't prevent them from making the super bowl last year and it's not the reason they lost the super bowl. Are you saying the Seahawks will go to the super bowl with their super D? I'll take the Patriots over the Seahawks any day.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I've always given Carrol his due. Most don't.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckels' comment:

Pete Carroll will never win a SB, let alone attend a SB. One of the worst hirings in recent memory.

Anyone who thinks a dopey gameshow host coach with pom poms will work in this league is an idiot.

- Norv Turner, Rex Ryan, Wade Phillps, etc

You NEVER fail to show you know nothing about this game. NEVER.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, Norv Turner, Rex Ryan, Wade Phillips, and Pete Carroll are great NFL coaches and have such stellar resumes as such.

LMAO

Nice comeback, Babe!

Carrol never had a losing season with the Pats. Can anybody else say that bright boy?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So, Carroll taking over what Grier brought in with some nice drafts from 1993-1996, means Carroll was such a great coach?

When Carroll left NE, everyone said he had a resort like atmosphere and no control of the team.

Get it? He's a bad leader. He's one of the guys and that's his downfall. The high fives, the Pop Warner antics on the sidelines. Act like you;ve been there before, Pete.

Won't work. Done.

He did a pretty good job. Three seasons, none losing. He didn't really have control.

And, by the way, Grier is the guy who found Brady, not BB.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

So, is Shizzly now TripleOG?    He sounds as dumb as Shizzly.

If only BB had 7 years straight of top 10-15 picks, taking that long and not ever being in the playoffs except for 2005, and tanked his seasons into 4-12 disasters to be like Pete Carroll. LMAO

At least our D has been rebuilt.  Anyone seen the Jets vaunted D lately? Wasn't that the one the media was raving about 2 years ago?

Make sure you stick to what'a popular and trendy Shizzly!  I hear Beiber  is a great songwriter and American Idol is a great show. LMAO

Too bad that the Seahawks did not have 7 years of picks in the top 10-15, but feel free to just make things up. The one defensive player they took up high, Aaron Curry, is not even on the team anymore. Carroll got rid of him.

The average age on that defense is something like 26 so they are good and young. There are three players on the defense who where with the franchise when Pete Carroll arrived. 

That is a pretty impressive turn around. Too bad their offense sucks unless they are playing the Pats...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

All teams have weaknesses and the Patriots weakness is their pass defense. It didn't prevent them from making the super bowl last year and it's not the reason they lost the super bowl. Are you saying the Seahawks will go to the super bowl with their super D? I'll take the Patriots over the Seahawks any day.

actually it's the exact reason you lost the super bowl-watch that last drive again

+1

I would agree that Eli 75% completion percent and 103 passer rating was a part of why they Patriots lost.  If the Patriots had a good pass defense Manning would not have two Super Bowl MVP trophies...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Speaking to the original poster's point, like most coaches Pete Carroll has his strengths and his weaknesses.  He didn't really get much of a fair shake from the Jets however it's been pretty well documented that his Jets team quit on him.  In NE he benefitted from a pretty fair roster of players when he took over from Parcells but it has also been pretty well documented that he didn't have control over many of his players.  His NE record was basically on a down-slope:  '97 - 10-6, '98 - 9-7, '99 - 8-8.  Pretty easy to see why Kraft let him go.

At USC he did quite well although a little tainted toward the end.  Looks like he's doing reasonably well in Seattle but I think the jury is still out there. 

He's always been a good defensive coach but, to my way of thinking, much better suited to be a defensive coordinator than a head coach.

My 2 cents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Dupe deleted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah, BB didn't know who Brady was but told Grier to go scout him for his assessment.

Do you ever stop with this desperation, finding ways to somehow disparage anything BB does?

Again, this is proof of your agenda right here. Just like the trolls or irrationals. All of a sudden moron Pete Carroll is superior to BB because Jay Shizzly/PatsFan76, a troll here has a new board name and wants to troll here.

I'm fairly certain you will disagree, but it was discussed last week who was responsible for drafting/suggesting Brady...it was Grier. Also at the very time that Brady was drafted it was also comfirmed that Belichick did NOT have total control over the team - that he later would get that. Now did Belichick know who Brady was? Of course (I find it hard to believe that Belichick doesn't know who every single football player in the country is). Did he approve of Brady or want him? Probably, but it has been reported that Grier is the guy that wanted him/found him/scouted him/called Michigan about him/went to Michigan, etc. And before anyone laughs...Grier wasn't anywhere near as bad a talent evaluator as some people say. I believe he still works in the NFL (for the Texans?).

Really none of it matters...Brady could of easily been just another draft bust if he hadn't of got the best coaching around or if he hadn't of gotten a oppurtunity to play with some good talent. In the end it was Brady who was born with a competitive fire that made him into the player he is today and just so happened to land with a coach that is a carbon copy of that type of personality.

As for Carroll, I wouldn't want him as my head coach. Every year he was here we got worse - he took a very talented team and slowly ruined it. There wasn't one single young player on his team that improved while he was here...it was prior talent that kept the ship afloat until it finally sank. I will say that the guy knew defense. I went to training camp several times while he was here and it was very very hard to tell what they were lined up in. He had defensive lineman dropping into coverage and guys blitzing from places you never would of thought possible, but his players didn't respect or fear him. When players got hurt under Carroll they would be out until they were picture perfect before they returned - guys run around on one leg for Belichick - because they are scared of the consequences if they aren't out on the field. Parcells would get the same from his players.  Young players did nothing for him when he was here, I remember Brandon Mitchell just being the laziest waste of talent under Carroll and then when Belichick took over he played tough, hard nosed football for a season or two. Christ even Kevin Faulk didn't do much under Carroll...except fumble and get hurt.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

actually it's the exact reason you lost the super bowl-watch that last drive again

Nope.

You would think after all these years of watching Tom Brady completing passes, you would know that some passes are undefendable. The 38 yard pass to Manningham on their last drive was one of those. Perfect pass, nice catch.

The Patriots defense was solid most of the game. Missed opportunities lost the game. Three forced fumbles by the defense, none recovered. Crucial drops and penalties. Plenty of reasons for blame.

It seems that you're not giving your Giants and Eli much credit. They played well and won a tough, well fought game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

+1

I would agree that Eli 75% completion percent and 103 passer rating was a part of why they Patriots lost.  If the Patriots had a good pass defense Manning would not have two Super Bowl MVP trophies...

If the Patriots were better they would have won. Brilliant.

Sections
Shortcuts